So, Veeky Forums, what do you think of the new G Wagon?

So, Veeky Forums, what do you think of the new G Wagon?
autoweek.com/article/detroit-auto-show/2019-mercedes-benz-g-class-goes-independent-detroit

>IFS
Only cunts and Armenians buy these

into the trash it goes

It's shit because it's not the old one, simple as.

Boxy turd marketed solely for gopniks and rich shitholers.

Anyone with a brain would choose the Wrangler.

I guess its fine... people dont't really seriously offroad these all too much, and it'll give them a better on-road ride, which is where the absolute majority of these cars spend their lives

Yeah if you really wanted an offroad one just buy military surplus

Yeah I drove 2016 G65 for a few weeks and it was really clunky on the road. It wasn't as fast as you'd think because they obviously had the bottom end detuned so the drivetrain would survive, but the worst problem with it was even on the highway it felt very clunky. One night was pretty windy and it was kinda hairy even at just 75-80mph.

I think lightening it up and giving it better on-road performance is a good decision. Inside looks to be basically everything out of an S-class, which is nice.

Why didn't they just make the GLS look like the G class?
Why are they updating a 30 year old truck?

t. blindly patriotic fatburger defending god-awful Chrysler plastic garbage

I think they basically re-engineered the whole thing, it's not the same except for the body. The frame is all different.

The newer ones are perfectly offroadable with some actual tires and a fat wallet. Its heavy as fuck and expensive to fix, but still; decent clerance, good approach angles, low range, three locking differentials

They pretty much cant

The G-class and its boxy shape is still only legal due to the fact of it having been produced for so long. If you try to produce a brand new car like that you wouldn't be allowed to sell it due to the requirements for pedestrian safety and more

Its also its main selling point now; it looks intimidating. Big, boxy car that looks like something a dictator would drive, and pretty much last of its kind

This. Never been a fan of the G wagon, never will be.

Alexa, display next thread.

>The newer ones are perfectly offroadable with some actual tires and a fat wallet. Its heavy as fuck and expensive to fix, but still; decent clerance, good approach angles, low range, three locking differentials
My friend has a newer G Wagon and its terrible in the mud, he tried it for laffs, but I guess it is okay for light duty offroad if you don't mind scratching your 100k+ mercedes. Really on my property best thing to offroad in is a polaris, never really seen much of a point with actual trucks. The old really light Toyotas with wide tires aren't bad. They are light so can stay on top of ruts. Hummers and G Wagons and all that shit is pretty horrible.

What kind of tires does your friend run?

I'm sure not the best ones, but, at that weight and tire width I don't think. Most of his stuff, even the Land Rovers, have either All Season or All Terrain tires on them because of the property there. Most the road going stuff is All Season I think.

He has a souped up Wranger that was better. But it has room for much wider tires that really help it out.

Obviously ATVs are always the best. I think at this point unless you are going a really long way no sense messing with trucks offroad anymore. Those Polaris 4 seaters do pretty good if you have to tote some workers too.

>If you try to produce a brand new car like that you wouldn't be allowed to sell it

They're ok, I'll give you that - but I wouldn't discredit the car/truck just yet. When it comes to deep snow you'll need the larger belt kits on those, and even then they'll struggle - pluss the added negatives of more weight, flipped belts, lower clerance, much lower speed on-road, vibration and cost

Deep mud is also an issue due to the low ground clerance, which means you'll much sooner sink in and lose traction than you would in a tall-sitting car on tall mud terrain tires

Cargo - a truck can take a lot more cargo than a Polaris General, which is what I guess you were referring too

They're more suited to trailblazing and field work than actual offroading

Now, notice how the G-Class has indicators that stick out (impact hazard for pedestrians), sharper edges on the hood, aluminium/steel reinforcing on the front & around the lights, and a more vertical windshield

Stop being a namefag.

I find it's easier to stay on top of the mud in them though, due to lower weight I guess. And when they do get stuck they are super easy to pull out. I have a Defender that I use sometimes but the Polaris 4 seater is better if it is really sloppy.

Don't get much deep snow by me so that certainly is a factor. Mostly rain, some sleeting rain, ice, so lots of mud and ruts. There are lots of streams on my property.

Hopefully they fixed the glare issue. The glass on G wagons is terrible.

i don't like them because i can't afford them.

No you

Oh for sure, if the mud is "solid" enough to allow it - if not then you're fucked

We had a Yamaha Rhino (same one as ) as a borrowed vehicle for two days this summer until I got a new axle for our Polaris ATV (thank you coworker for driving into a rock). What I liked about it was ofcourse that you can actually sit down, it seats too, much easier to load & transport my rescue equipment, and it was a tiny bit quicker (about 6mph) than the ATV. But, the longer & wider wheelbase, higher weight, restricted ability to use your body weight and relatively soft suspension made it unsuited for the mountaineous & muddy terrain, sadly. For us it has become either the actual one-seater ATV which gets fucking anywhere unless its 3 feet of sloppy mud, or using my Hilux which also gets pretty much anywhere it can fit (or it did when it had mud-terrains), albeit a bit slower

They are proper fucking fun in the suited terrain tho, I will say that

My only experience is driving one in the military, and since they were all approaching 30 years and having been misused from day one you could say that the windshield would glare from someone lighting a candle 30 feet away...

Is it that bad?

Mostly I drive a Ranger 3 seater since it's normally just me and the dog. I want to get something with a hard cab enclosure though, tired of freezing my balls off. I'll look into the Yamahas, I think they have hard cabs. The Polaris ones are mickey mouse.

>My only experience is driving one in the military, and since they were all approaching 30 years and having been misused from day one you could say that the windshield would glare from someone lighting a candle 30 feet away...
>Is it that bad?
It's pretty bad. I mean I guess it doesn't bother other people much since they are so popular, but I think it's terrible. The reason I think is more because of the flat glass, if you look at most modern cars there is some crown on the glass that helps a lot. Not sure though.

i'm actually glad they aren't changing the styling because there's something about it that i really like. maybe it's the "bad guys in movies drive these" thing that i find appealing about it too

My Suzuki vitara gets further offroad on 205/70/16 tires than my 5,000 lbs chebby on 265/70/17 tires.

The chebby just sinks all 4 a/t tires in where the Zook is just trundling along in 2wd on 10 year old nearly bald mix and match road tires

Does that say most about the Chevy or the Zuki?

Well I was trying to imply that the Chevy has a hard time while the Suzuki follows the same trail at the same time with no problem

Sure, I can imagine it - weight and wheelbase often beats tires and power

glad they removed that lower led strip, otherwise the G Wagon is what i is, a pricey "cool" vehicle for the upper market...majority will never see off-road, like how most sport cars/supercars never see a track