/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

Vibrating Awoo edition

Previous Thread: >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Standalone is out of date, use Starter Pack for 43.05):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0
github.com/splintermind/Dwarf-Therapist/releases/

>DFHack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0
github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases

>Starter Pack:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0
dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40
Modanon's Mods: dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=3558

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Tourney finale wen.

lad this fucking embark terrain

its a sheer cliff face 5-10 Z levels up before starting to curve off one tile per z level, the bit in the middle is a volcano, possibly dormant

>Sheer cliff face

I'm jealous as fuck desu

You can totally build some cool walls around the entrance. Maybe an archery tower in that circle bit, OR some archery holes along the cliff face.

How the fuck do you get actual cliffs

i got lucky i guess, map loaded and i got this, really didnt aim for this. most extreme cliffs ive EVER seen in DF

the place where we embarked is 62 z levels BELOW the 0 level

Never.

What's your favourite tile-sets to use? I@m looking for something angular for my structures....

Also....

Post more Kobolds

Use extreme values of elevation x and/or y variance in adv worldgen. Disable periodic erosion of extreme cliffs. Embark on a water feature.

How is that image related to DF or /dfg/?

There are watermelons and wolves in DF

Sadly it ain't angular, but the little k with the accent is my kobold soldier tile.

It's obviously a wolf stealing from a food pile and dodging at incredible speeds

So? There are tons of animals and plants in DF. You could just as well say cat pictures or the cover of a farmer's almanac are DF related because cats and farming are in DF. Hell, even the edition is another general's meme.

I don't see the problem, wolf women exist in dwarf fortress too. The only one who has a problem with this is you user.

why cant I screencap my game? when I press the button it just captures whatever other window I have open. Will summarize the report anyway
>Ab, Forgotten beast, Giant Tick with poison spittle
>Only two sworddwarves because I forgot about army until 20 mins ago
>Both asleep
>Rush him with 3 wrestlers who have been sparring for the last few minutes, none higher than competent anything
>Tick mauls one immediately, spine bruised, cant seem to move or maybe is in too much pain
>Second guy has his throat torn out and dies
>Tick bites Urist McLastHope in the right hand
>Shakes him by the hand and throws him away, tearing the right hand off
>He stays on the floor for a second, then sprints straight at it again
>Dodges the poison spittle
>Grabs and rips off one of the left legs
>Punches it once in the body with his left hand, exploding it into gore and instantly killing the beast
>Grabs a drink then goes back to sparring with the now awake sworddwarves without even going to the hospital
I reckon a solid gold personal barracks and his own wrestling squad is in order, any other things I can do for him?

Dumb frogposter

>wolf women exist in dwarf fortress too
You're right. We should start having furries for the OP from now. After all there are animal people in the game and that makes the DF related. Actually fact, since there are gay people in DF maybe we should have gay pride logos for the OP pic instead. No no, I've got it. Since tools are an item category we should have black & decker catalog photos for the OP pic, because that's totally DF related.
Or you could just accept that trying to justify random bullshit as the OP pic is faggotry and do better next time.

so my civ is 100% completely dead. how long will it take for one of my dorfs to assume as the new monarch?

Gay pride logos seem like a good idea for the next OP, Toady is wuite progressive and I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

posting wolfs with watermelons when you don't have a pic to relate should become a thing

Make him a noble if you can, or promote him to captain.

Agreed.
It's the only logical thing to do when you're trying to make a thread quickly but don't have the time to browse through dozens of pics to find that one mildly amusing pic that's actually related to the thread's topic.

update when

20 days at the minimum.

I got myself a vampire troll in a cage. Anything I can do with it?

>dog engaged in life or death struggle with a giant mole
>dozens of dwarves just walk by like "not my problem"
>finally have to order a passing off-duty hammerlord to step in
Not cool, Toad, not cool.

Im more curious how a vampire troll came to exist than what to do with it

Drink it.

>topple statue
>get cursed

What would you do with any other troll?
What would you do with any other vampire?
Take those two things, shove one in each ear, then shake your head back and forth until the two things are well-mixed or you pass out.

what kind of embark settings do you guys default to? I usually go for two miners, cook/farmer, carpenter/wood chopper, fisherdwarf/brewer, then fill in the rest with whatever I find relevant to my spawn terrain. Thoughts?

>Obok drinks the dwarf cage
What

If you wanna go an evil playthrough, harvest its blood, give it to the nobles, and try and run a decadent vampire metropolis.

Obok not only rapes children but also drinks dwarves

How much more evil can he get

He could always help elves conquer the world.

Bump

the whole world seems less bright without arena poster around

the whole world seems less bright without any DF updates around

the whole world seems less bright at night

the whole world seems less bright when you're dead

>walk through mountains to see what's in the area
>oh a fortress
>man this layout is terrible
>open door to random room
>random Forgotten Beast chilling in the room

at least I have 179 meat for my adventurer now.

Similarly, if you start a fort as a dying civ, what do you have to do before you can make dwarf adventurers again? Become Mountainhome?

post stonesense

Should happen before the end of the first season if the monarch isn't imprisoned or living in a cave somewhere.

Nothing special. As long there's somewhere to start you can start an adventurer from there. You could embark and retire without unpausing and it will work.

>giant child attacks fort
>kills all my farm animals and two wardogs
>picks fight with giant slug
>loses

>werelizard decides to show me why i fear the night
>kills two hunters
>killed by 6 women holding babies
bitch ass lizard

That's odd since I had a solid metropolis with close to 200 pop (the entirety of the dwarf race lived there according to legends viewer) and when I retired I could only make a human outsider.

>Werepanda shows up outta nowhere ready to kick my shit in
>Kills a bunch of kids
>Dies to a doggo
Bitch ass panda

This is a shitty anime

It would honetly work great as an anime short. And I think that's actually how a DF animecould work, as a series of shorts of funny moments.

One miner slash bookkeeper
One miner slash broker
One stonecrafter slash mechanic
One carpenter slash woodcrafter slash bonecrafter
One farmer slash butcher slash cook
One woodcutter slash axedwarf slash brewer
One hunter slash leatherworker (sometimes fisherdwarf as well)

>Weremonitor shows up to fuck everything up
>Kills two dogs
>Gets caught in a cage trap

Bitch ass monitor

For a second there I thought weremonitor meant something else

>kills a bunch of kids
Urist Mcpanda did you a favour m8

It was a human, apparently he used to be the leader of some big guild, slandered some other guild and got cursed by them. He lived for like 100 years and travelled across the world to get wrecked by a dog.

Can you just rename a regions folder name to add a new one? Like the guy made that adventure mode world, could I just make it region 3, or do I have to change more stuff?

something like this?

That's amazing.

>no race of technologically advanced cyborg people yet

>Same fort
>forgotten beast shows up
>one-eyed oxpecker with deadly spittle
>weremonitor shows up at almost same exact time
>weremonitor and oxpecker fight
>weremonitor gets rekt, dies
>oxpecker dies from own spittle

It would be nice if vampires could intentionally feed on willing subjects without killing them.

Just accept the deaths and replace them with more migrants.

But yeah that would be ideal.

This sounds like a brilliant idea that I'm sure couldn't possibly backfire in any way in the future.

Just have all of your dwarfs be vampires.

Well that's half the fun, isn't it?

> Has vampires
> Has barrels of blood
> can't use barrels of blood for vampires

Frownieface

>trying to generate a world that's just with with war&mythos
>3 days and several dozen gens later i'm still trying to generate worlds

the suffering

My latest adventure as a 2 year old dwarf turned out interesting. It then nicely dropped to 0 fps when I tried to go anywhere.

what

Can't vampires in dwarf fortress subsist on animal blood too? In adventure mode at least, if you make anything with blood pass out you can feed on them. Honestly, it doesn't have much of a downside as a curse, unlike lycanthropy in dwarf fortress.

If you can make a thing with blood pass out, vampires will feast on it. (Includes creatures with poisonous blood)

ilmenite

>Legendary Melee Dwarf
>Rape incarnate
>can comfortably deal with many threats alone, even up to megabeasts
>a squad of them can comfortably take an invasion force 10x their number with only minor injuries

>Legendary Marksdwarf
>will usually fail to maim an average invader before they close the distance to melee, putting themselves at great risk
>have to set up cheese, like seal up then place fortifications to make them useful
>will still ignore said set up to path to melee if possible
>an absolute nightmare to train
Why even bother? Is it that melee squads are just so good? I don't even bother with traps anymore, I just throw melee dwarves at everything unless it has deadly dust.

Ranged is too bad and melee is too good. As support for melee troops they're not completely useless, your close quarters fighters will usually eliminate or trivialize any threats before the marksdwarves run out of ammo and charge in. If war animals worked properly it might be a different story. Having a few deadly animals per marksdwarf on the front line while they sit back putting holes in the enemy would be a really fun strategy to field, even if it would be more efficient to just have a squad of speardwarves instead.

Nice _rock_

marksdorfs leave less bodyparts lying around, meaning less cleanup. then again, hammerdorfs leave no bodyparts at all, save for ome teeth here and there.

Exactly.

That all this is happening in The Hill of Minds makes it even better.

Playing dress-up with my military dwarves is one of the best parts of this game

>one of the worst parts of this game*
ftfy

Yeah I personally love it when my Hammerlords ignore station orders to retrieve a single gauntlet from the other side of the fortress because that was clearly the best place to leave it.

I respectfully disagree with your opinion and wish you a good day
also you have shit taste

I'm guessing weapon racks and armor stands aren't working as intended yet?

>I'm guess [thing] isn't working as intended yet
correct

Once, I lost two guys who I picked to be my first militia because they decided that they should wear armor across the other side of the map.

In an evil biome surrounded by zombies.

nice to meet you guess

Alright guys, rather new to the game and just got my first ever strange mood
Fisherman took over a crafts workshop and is screaming for bones and metal bars, will post results when he's done

Lock him inside until he's raving mad, then put him in a cage and use him to fight crundles.

Finishing commieblocks is always a good feel.

its already too late

>bin
At least you can put your texture pack in it

>f.lux

Now that is a lavish roast

regardless of whether you have armour stands or not, dorfs will still put all armour and weaponry in their respective stockpile. if an armour piece is too dangerous to retrieve (i.e. in the case of those zombies), you can forbid it.

please no bully, im very disappointed at the moment