So why not just put small honda generator in frunk of tesla?I mean they are small so they wouldn't take much space...

So why not just put small honda generator in frunk of tesla?I mean they are small so they wouldn't take much space.I know it kills the point but it at least will keep tesla afloat.

>keep Tesla afloat
>has surpassed Ford and GMs valuation after manufacturing cars for 5 years
Yeah they are really in trouble, good thing they have your suggestion to bail them out

Fisker tried that.

>Have been pushing 3rd vaporwave product in the past 2 years, just to have enough money to keep the model 3 into production
>Has been operating on a loss since its inception
The only reason Tesla is afloat is because normies and roasties find technology hip and think that Musk is some kind of a genius, when in fact he just runs a ponzi scheme for the sole purpose of inflating his ego.

Is a generator more efficient at making power than an ICE engine?
i mean it is an ICE engine, why not just put a small honda engine in a tesla to begin with?

BMW i3 did exactly that, with mixed success, if you would call 100 extra miles per tank a success.
And Chevy Volt also uses engine purely as generator.

>Is a generator more efficient at making power than an ICE engine?
no, not even close.
the ICE is leagues ahead of electric cars when it comes to efficiency. There are so many places where an electric car loses efficiency. Generator losses, power transmission losses, electric motor losses... are huge.

So a Prius then, with Tesla quality/price

>least will keep tesla afloat.

Lelsla won't go under soon.
Even if they got into SERIOUS trouble, numales would literally send all the money they have and give their last shirt to help that company.

the thing will get 10mpg at best

Stop being an idiot on purpose.
The cars themselves aren't the ones making the power, big fuck off power stations are.

I was asking about an ICE generator like pic actually being more efficient at turning fuel into power than a car engine.
would one even be enough to run an electric car?
i feel like no.

From memory, this has been done before. It had a diesel generator running at peak efficiency that charged a battery that fed the electric motor

>will a 20hp engine with energy loss from going from mechanical to battery and back to mechanical compete with a 200hp engine running straight into the gear box?

>would one even be enough to run an electric car?
that thing maxes out at 2.2kw? well how much power does a normal car consume at cruising speed? like 15hp, right? That's like 11kw.

it's not sustainable, and if it was, it would be INCREDIBLY inefficient due to generation, transmission and motor losses

so /thread then.
hope we helped OP.

and that is only cruising speed, meaning you aren't allowed to accelerate or you'll begin to drain your battery and the generator will eventually not be able to keep up. These types of setups are called range extenders

Let's say, for convenience, car runs 300Wh/mi.
It also goes 60MPH because convenient.
Now, that means it's using 18KWh.

Your generator makes one tenth of that. You'll need to lug ten of those bad boys to power an electric car.

knowing the prices of honda generators, you could just buy a prius and a lifetime supply of fuel

I can think of four reasons:
1. It would add cost and complexity
2. It would create a hazard in front crashes
3. It would reduce storage capacity by taking up space in the frunk
4. It might hurt Tesla's green car image

>2. It would create a hazard in front crashes
???

Gas engines are hard and don't compress as well as the soft parts of the car around it. There would need to be extra strengthening added behind the engine to keep it from pushing into the cabin, which would add cost, complexity, and weight.

In Netherlandistan you can't get muh tax cuts for electric cars if there's an ICE in the car, regardless of its function. It's pretty laughable how the i3 with the range extender costs so much more in ownership than the i3 without the range extender. On top of that it's still an i3

>250 miles of range for the basic bitch version
>needs a generator
250 is like, more than a lot of people use in an entire week
superchargers can do roadtrips decently for now

You are quite uninformed.
Really big, industrial performance diesel engines get up to 40% efficiency from the engine. (the rest is all blown out of the exhaust and dissipated by the radiator)
You can be sure a smaller, private-ownership-focussed engine, that needs to be able to deliver power on a wide range of rpm's/loads is far less efficient. Especially when we're talking about engines where weight is relevant.
In contrast; an electric motor can easily deliver power within an efficiency range of 80 to 95%.
now, you mentioned the energy losses to get the motor working. For electric that's generator losses, (around 90% efficient), transmission losses (

From tesla's website: 3kW charging gives 14 km/hr (8miles/hr) range. If you'd take the 100 kWhr model S with a range of 490 km, and you drive that in 5 hours, you can get maybe 70-90 km extra range. (assuming your generator is working at 3kw all the time). 15% extra range.
Not really winning too much.
To have a viable easy installable range-extender you'd need a 11kw power source. Thats a small ICE engine or a really small turbine. The advantage of a turbine is that it is smaller and less complex but it is far less efficient. and you'd still need a pretty big generator. I think it should be possible to design such a package that would fit precisely into either the frunk or trunk of a model s. replace the standard hood with one with inlet and exhaust and you have a full hybrid tesla model s.
>really safe to store the fuel of your generator right next to it.. in the frunk of your heavy tesla..
oh well better not crash.