Should I fall for the snow tire 2x as expensive meme or just get some good brand new all seasons? Midwest here

Should I fall for the snow tire 2x as expensive meme or just get some good brand new all seasons? Midwest here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s
youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

does it snow a lot in your area?

Depends on if awd or rwd

rwd

not exactly but it's unpredictable. We've been getting 3 inches, it melts then snows again every few days since start of the year.

3 inches isn't actually that much. I'm in NY with FF and all season tires and I get by just fine with my civic. Sure I could get snow tires and I'd be even better off, I'd never worry about slipping, I'd stop a lot better/sooner. But I know if I drive well enough I can avoid most of these issues

I'll probably just pick up a new set of all seasons then. Tires I have now are walmart specials from years ago when I bought this ancient car off craigslist. Only slipped once so far, light turned green for oncoming when I started to turn on red and had to floor it and lost my ass end for a few seconds.

put a couple large bags of kitty litter, sand or dirt into the back of your car. A hundred pounds ish. It'll give you better traction.

just get michelin pilot sport a/s 3 or 4

>if I drive well enough
use the same care and discipline towards your career and youll be able to afford proper tires, poorboi

I feel it, they have "tube sand" for this at Walmart for like $2-3 a bag in the garden center.

Thats completely non-sequitur its not even a good comparison.

Good snow tires are literally not a meme, they put your car absolutely miles ahead of anything with normal tires. The same can be said for performance summer tires. They will stop much faster and corner much quicker, making it that much easier to not plow into texting Stacy who rolled out into your lane from a stop.

get a set of M+S rated all season tires and you will be golden. its what I have, things are glued to the road

youtu.be/GlYEMH10Z4s

If you get dedicated snow tires with rims will the place that stores them switch them out for you?

>2x as expensive
like, because you're buying two sets of tyres, or do you want to buy winter tyres twice as expensive as your summer ones? because having set of winter tyres is a great idea in "winter" countries, but paying for ridiculously expensive set of winter tyres sounds like overkill. get any cheap-but-not-cheapest pair of winter tyres, have fun knowing you're prepared for anything that could happen.

there is nothing worse than this one faggot on the street who can't move properly in the winter because he has bad tyres. entire traffic moving 40kmph because one man of questionable sexuality decided to cheap out is the worst injustice you can find

That policy varies from place to place. My tire shop has free swap-in and swap-out of winter tires purchased from them provided the tires are on their own rims.

>went to a local skiing course with friends last winter
>halfway up there is a police checkpoint
>only cars with snow tires can pass due to recent snowstorm and bad road conditions
>all sorts of luxury cars drive to the checkpoint and turn back
>all on summer tires
>"rich people"

Nah, if the snow was THAT bad you'd most likely be stuck at home anyway. Just use your all seasons and warm them up on a deserted road before heading out to the city.

My bmw dealer will swap and store for you for $80

>if the snow was bad enough to warrant winter tires then you would be stuck anyway

What did he mean by this?

IT DOESN'T EVEN HAVE TO SNOW, IF TEMP GETS BELOW 7C YOU HAVE TO GET WINTER TIRES.

No, summer tires are better even when cold: youtube.com/watch?v=TJsV2ORMsms
However, I'd still suggest winter tires because they're more predictable. Summer tires will go from grip to slide very quickly when cold because they're hard, while winter tires will still do the sidewall flex -> tyre noise change -> screeching -> slide steps.

Depends on how much snow you're dealing with. If the roads you travel on are plowed and salted regularly than you'll be fine with all seasons. If you want to drive through a blizzard like you're driving on dry pavement then snow tires all day.

I have never owned snow tires or summer tires but recently tracking my car I've learned how much of a compromise all seasons are. If you want max performance out of your car, get summer tires and winter tires. Put the winters on cheap wheels you can find.

I run all seasons fine in the winter with my lsd rwd. But really they aren't good in the winter and not good in the summer.

>A hundred pounds ish. It'll give you better traction.
Valid only if his rear is overly light to begin with for those tires. If he had the high mileage hard tread compound, balding tires, or his tread blocks have very little siping, then another hundred pounds might simply result in fishtailing more than before.

Of course, my conjecture is impertinent without a look at the poster's car and tires.

what do you drive??

Depends on the area, we got a lot of snow and ice in my area because Great Lakes are gay like that

That would be your wind shear lake effect snow (LES) that affects the hundred mile radius around the great lakes. Remnants of lake-effect snows from Lake Erie have reached as far south as Garrett County, Maryland and as far east as Geneva, New York. That's quite a distance when the prevailiing winds blow just right.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake-effect_snow

lol those semi slick track tires, good thing everyone drives with tires like that.

why Americans so stubborn about general safety rules? it's like, USA USA I have right to be stupid and gonna use this right.

We have this "discussion" every year

And how certain country didn't notice, that only certain country has problems driving in winter and same certain country is allergic to winter tires and actually learning how to drive(etiquette and rules) while rest of the world(-UK) goes just fine.

>Should I fall for the snow tire
Depends on how much ice season you have left in your midwest to go along with the slush snow season. For some parts of the northern USA, the winter has essentially ended. It's slushy snow or no snow now for me as I'm more west of you. This winter has been been one of the warmer winters I've been through.

>I've learned how much of a compromise all seasons are
Performance compromises are one thing.
But you also have to deal with financial compromises of buying four more tires and four more rims and storing them year round too.

>We have this "discussion" every year
It's rather late in the season to discuss. Unless OP is trying to look for end of season bargain deals.

>Midwest here.
You've managed to drive up to this point near the end of January on your old all season tires. If you haven't been sliding all over, you could probably get by.

>Midwest
It's still freezing ice at night. Although the daytime gets to 41 fahrenheit, the nights drop like a rock to under 20 degrees. So winter tires are still good to have or even buy right now.

It's more a matter of budget. Rather than being an option, you need it. So what determines your choices is whether or not you will buy winter tires to be fitted on some cheap rims.

OP, I've been living in Chicago for the past 25 years, and I have always had winter tires on my cars. I went very few winters without them.

>Never get stuck
>Drive through unplowed alleys, and side streets with easy
>Pull people out of ditches
>Can actually take high speed turns and not loose control

The best winter tire combos is this: Find the smallest diameter wheels that will clear your brake calipers, usually the size of your spare, and then get tall sidewall winter tires to match your stock outer diameter wheel size.
These tires sizes are a lot less expensive. Tirerack can automatically give you a combo of the smallest diameter wheel in the proper offset for your make, and model. I recommend General brand tires, they make excellent snow tires. Tirerack will mount and balance for free if you buy wheels, and tires. But they rape you on TPMS charges.

If your car has TPMS, and you cant stand the annoying flashing warning you will have, you can buy used TPMS sensors on ebay, and just install them yourself. Large sidewall tires are easy to break the bead on, and slip on a new valve.

Or just pay some beaner tire shop to install, and rebalance. used sensors are like $50 for 4. new senors are like $90 each. rip off.

Paid $700 for them shipped, and then another $120 for senors, and install