€5k car guide - city cars

Decided to start working on an European version of the $5k car guide, which would have cars for €5k/your local equivalent.

Main Choice - Renault Twingo(2004-2014, up to 175 kkm).
Pros: good equipment, large interior, cheap parts, reliable petrol engines.
Cons: no 5-door version, low-rent materials, small trunk.
Issues: electrical glitches, strut wear, diesel injection and conrod bearing failures, 1.2 oil leaks.

Mini (2000-2006, up to 175 kkm).
Pros: good handling and performance, low depreciation, reliable engines, automatic available.
Cons: tight interior and trunk, not so durable materials, expensive parts, no 5-door.
Issues: plastic part wear, rust, gearbox failures.

Fiat Panda (2003-2014, up to 150 kkm).
Pros: large interior, 5-door body, cheap parts, nice durability.
Cons: bad build quality, many badly-equipped and worn examples, unreliable suspension and higher-mileage 1.3 diesel.
Issues: suspension wear (incl. breaking springs), power steering failures, 1.2 ECU and fuel pump problems, 1.3 timing chain stretching, alternator problems.

I was also thinking about adding the VW Up, but the choice on the market might not be big enough.

What do you think?

Other urls found in this thread:

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=248322376
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

kys achmet no one gives a shit you all be dead in 7 years max anyways lol

I am delighted with your optimism.

/s

I own a twingo from 2007 with 101k km, haven't had any issues so far, it's pretty solid

And even if it breaks down, the parts are cheap.

The small Renaults of today are the modern Beetles - nothing to give you a woody, but will run quite cheaply, and even if they don't run, the parts are cheap.

Why would you want a lifeless piece of shit when you could have a pristine swift for less than 3k

That might end up in the €1k subcompact section, although I'm more partiial to the Corsa B/C and VW Polo Mk3/4 being there, due to a larger market choice.

The third option would be "reconsider your need to get a car; maybe the bus is enough".

Personal experience:

Subaru Legacy 1990s, usually 160km range
Pros: open diff. AWD that controls better than any car or truck in any weather or road condition, bullshit tier incredible trunk space, seats 5 people, beautiful looking, rooftop rails, decent gas economy, usually 2-3k euros
Cons: front seats are worse than back, cup holder obscures all of the AC unit controls, on the off chance it ACTUALLY breaks down repairs might be more expensive depending on country

Ford Focus (2006 ish)
pros: decently reliable, plenty of space with the hatch versions, can seat 4-5 people, EXTREMELY good fuel economy, usually 100km and always 2-3k euro, despite not being AWD (that I remember) it can drive as decent as a Legacy
cons: possibly more expensive to repair, low horsepower, sometimes slow to start

The Legacy thing comes from living in Alaska, the Focus is from a friend and some personal experience in Romania, all units converted to Euros and KM though

>€1k
if you want a beat up one maybe. spend the 2k on making it brand new again

The Focus would probably end up in the compact section, and I'm thinking about adding the Legacy to midsize.

Still wondering if it should be in the normal section (together with stuff like the Accord and Vectra) or in the premium one (3-Series, A4). Probably the latter.

suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/details.html?id=248322376

1st owner, 130 kkm, automatic.

Equivalent to about €600 for a good-looking 1.0 with A/C.

i cry because here they are 3 times as expensive

Where do you live?

Suzuki Swift II should be on that list, it's probably the best econobox you can get for that money.

Reasons?

And it is going to be in the small car section, a segment up.

Used cars are cheaper in Europe

For 5k: kia picanto, volkswagen up, for 3k the Citroën C1/107/aygo. Those are the best cars period, no 3 door twingo shit

I bought a swift 2 as a daily couse my rx8 was unbearable as it, best buy in my life, 0 problems so far, prety comfy

kys

Reasons?

Also, city cars are meant to be affordable runarounds, which don't need rear doors. If you want a family car, go up to at least small cars.

I'm a bong who's looking for a car for £4-5k, however it must be able to fit a bike in the back with the rear seats folded down. Currently thinking a skoda fabia, maybe a fiesta or honda jazz. Anyone got other ideas?

The Jazz is quite reliable, and has these folding-up rear seats, so many bikes can be transported behind the front seats.

My gf's parents have 2 renaults and there's always something wrong with them and they're from 2009 and 2011

I strongly disagree on the early Minis, they're notorious for being massively unreliable.

Ups are nice cars, but in the UK you can get an EP3 Civic for a grand in solid condition. No reason to get anything else.

I'm looking for a nice daily driver for my next car, something that looks sporty and is fun to drive, so far I've been recommended a few but not sure if I like them.

>Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.25L
>Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2L TSI
>Vauxhall Corsa 1.2L 12v/16v

and a few more like VW Scirocco's, Polo's, Golf's etc but I'm not that big of a fan of their looks.

I want something that looks good, quite efficient as in 40+ MPG, and I can use to daily for the next 3-4 years until I can get my insurance down.

What do you lads recommend?

Another idea to the list for a cheap fun car would be a Audi TT Mk1, reliable, AWD and the 1.8T engine got some potential if you wanna upgrade your turbo later

If you come to Veeky Forums to find a city car like these in op(with exception of twingo) You should fuck off and go to some normie board.

If you come to Veeky Forums to ask if a miat or porsche924 or FC is a good daily you're in the right place.

Its a board for car enthusiasts not a suggestion board for normies to find their next lease to crash while on the phone

Vw golf mk4 up to 175000km
Decent interior, cheap parts, lot of aftermarket
Combi and hatch

any Veeky Forumstists drive these?

i like how they look and i'm looking for something cheap under 2,000€, automatic for commuting to work

>not filling the sub-1k section with mk1 Twingos

You seem to have severe autism. Stop sperging.

Fuck off Autismo. Small cars like the Twingo can be loads of fun too.

Insurance? Gas costs?

They're here for the handling, though might put them in the sporty section, and have another 3rd small car.

VW Up, perhaps?

Explain the existence of the $5k guide.

So, instead of the Mini, I think I'll put the Up/Citigo/Mii.

Info card:
VW Up/Skoda Citigo/Seat Mii (2012-2014, up to 100 kkm).
Running costs: €. (Scale of € to €€€€€).
Pros: good interior space, low running costs, decent handling.
Cons: jerky semiautomatic, low-rent materials, unrefined gearbox and radio.
Issues: A/C failures, semiautomatic problems, clunking manual gearboxes, electrical glitches, condensation inside.

Running costs for the Twingo and Panda should be €/€€.

Twingo = one of europes most unreliable cars
Mini = unreliable and overpriced
Fiat= literally europes most unreliable brand

Just buy any japanese Econobox, Aygo, Colt, Jazz (Fit), since you dont have the money for repairs when you buy under €5k.

The Aygo is too cramped, and has some Toyota Tax on parts.

The Colt and Jazz are too big for the section.

basically no matter which one you buy, they all pretty much stop working once you hit 200k km, unless it is a diesel,

Aygos have better quality control compared to the C1 and the 108... we use them as company cars, they are ok for the city.
Jazz and Colts are only 40-50 cm longer, so they still count as small cars

Lowest spec Up is group 1, and it's got identical power below 5k to the mid spec. Something insane like 60 combined MPG for this.

You're not really getting a choice in Mk2s for €5k.

The Mk1 models, which are cramped, are the only worthwhile Aygos for €5k.

>car enthusiasm is dead
>cars are dead after our generation
>nobody cares about fun they just want comfortable living rooms to survive a crash in while they browse their phones
>oh and it has to be lifted 200ft in the air and have space for 5000 "in case one day they might need it"
>Veeky Forums is literally the normies get out reee place
>but okay lets let the normies in here to talk their dogshit cars nobody would even want to piss on were they on fire

you have severe lack of autism, get out retards go run over a granny while tweeting

>m-muh slippree slope
>muh mainstream media opinions
It's one thing to be pessimistic, you are just ridiculous. Everyone who worries about this situation seems to have a very poor grasp of history and law. Wouldn't be surprised if most of the people saying "cars are dead" are automotive industry shills with some slick reverse psychology forced meme trying to encourage new car sales.
Younger people are buying used, so of course the new car market (and the manufacturers' metrics) is struggling.

Twingo for 1k

>they want comfortable living rooms that are lifted 200ft in the air
>complains about OP talking about compact cars
Does a Twingo look like an SUV to you?

Don't like it? Buy Veeky Forums, instate your own rules.

A friend has one of those,but the vts version with the 1.6 125ps engine,pretty rev happy,handles like it's on rails,but shit economy for a car this small.

definitely put the UP!/Mii/Citigo

also polo's, swifts, fiestas, hyundai i10/20, kia, picanto and rio, renault clio, fiat 500.

also it's worth paying more attention to cars which are low emission and insurance, as we always get fucked on those over in europe.

Going to consider those for the small car section, whixh is a size bigger.

And the Up is certainly a low fuel consumption, cheap insurance special.

Might even make a category for such econocars - 1.1 Hyundai diesels, 3L VWs, Prius, etx.

I feel like making a chart for the entirety of Europe isn't really possible. The market is completely different per country.

easier to stick to EU27/28 as almost all of them have the same cars, and options.

Yeah, but the continent is similar enouh for this to work.

Already got some selections for next sections, but I'm going to stick each in a separate thread, for the sake of clarity.