Who bought your first car? Be honest

I'm having a dilemma with my teen. His mother and I are insistant on buying his first car for him. My dad bought me my first car, a green '78 Camaro, for what would be about $10k today. I would be more than happy to spend more than that on my kid but he won't let me.

He's looking at twenty+ year old cars that can be had for the

Me at 17, literally no help, not even any advice.

And yeah he's setting himself up to get an old piece of shit that will be a headache constantly and worse than a newer car in every possible way.

I only bought a 20 year old car because it's what I could afford.

Actually, it's a good fucking idea. It's a character and skill building experience. If he does get it up and running he's not going to trash it like a lot of kids do when their parents just give them too much car. Stop helicoptering, dude. Let the kid earn something.

If he wants an old shitbox to fix up but has no experience get something that's mechanically sound and just needs bodywork.

Then take him to a hardware store and buy an air compressor, wire brush attachment, Bondo, and that industrial jelly that stops rust, can't remember the name of it.

Once he defeats the rust, get an airspray attachment for the compressor, the cheapest auto paint you can find, and paint it up.

This has to be bait

My dad paid 1500 for my first car, and we set up a payment for me to pay him back 1200 of it for the following year. I was still a high-schooler so it was reasonable enough to pay him back, and it allowed me to drive to work if I needed. It was a good way for me to manage my finances, and he helped teach me to do any repairs I needed. It was a 97 e36.

Dad bought my first car
It was a $1500 Cadillac seville sts that I totalled
Insurance gave me 3k
Bought a supra
Regret nothing

Parents

Bought me a 1991 Subaru Loyale lol it was fucking awesome to me. Stick shift, ran great, looked like shit, was cheap.

I was 16. After that my dad re-entered my life and bought me a 2002 Lancer OZ Rally Ed. when I was like 18

tell him if he gets a proper shitbox you'll buy a turbo for him. ez

Werid role-playing shit.

Buy him a 2k car and 8k in a cash loan. He must keep his shitbox running, barring an accident, as long as you think some 10k car would, otherwise he pays back the difference.

It's fair and if I were some weirdo like you, I'd do it like that.

Why not compromise?
Why don’t you spend upwards of 10k on a nicely taken care of old car (like a restored muscle car perhaps)
He gets an old shitbox that doesn’t have old bells and whistles and you get to have piece of mind knowing it’s safe fir daily driving

Your kid literally wants you to buy him a cheap, but fun car. You should be considering this a blessing since most kids want their parents to buy them a brand new car.

My first car was a 92 Chevy Lumina z34. I paid $1500 for it and it lasted me two years before it got totalled. Let your kid show you cars he likes and you can go on Craigslist, auto trader, or car guru and look for them. Make sure you're willing to look across state and you'll soon find out that the car he probably wants to own and learn to work on is a better choice than a newer car riddled with electrical problems.

pretty sure this is bait

My parents bought my first shitbox 2k 1991 accord in 2008 and sold it when I went to bootcamp in 2013. They thought a 5 year enlistment meant i wouldn't be home at all 5 years. I got stationed 20 minutes from home and have bought every car since

I bought it with my money but had a friend holding my hand the whole time since at the time I didn't even have a license

It is. No clueless old faggot finds his way here. The only old people here are odd balls that would make their child not only build there own car but cast the engine block and heads in the garage.

Nice roleplay

t. retards
What exactly do I gain out of making up this random ass story? It doesn't give me (you)s out the wazoo, but I've actually gotten a steady stream of advice such as from
and
If I were baiting I would say something like "I beat the shit out of my kid for talking back to me and bought him the 20k civic he deserves."

Post proof
Sage

What is he supposed to post proof of?

You people are some of the stupidest fuckers on the planet I swear. How you’ve managed to stay alive past your adolescence is beyond me.

No you post proof

The real solution to this, instead of letting him try and fail and sell a shitbox he's fallen in love with and have him resent you for years, is to offer to match 50% of his money so he can afford something that isn't garbo but doesn't feel trust-funded.

>piece of mind
I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there. Although there is some merit to what you are saying it seems like you have a huge ship on your shoulder. In your argument you seem to throw everything in but the kids Nsync, and even though you are having a feel day with this I am here to bring you back into reality. I have a sick sense when it comes to these types of things. It is almost spooky, because I cannot turn a blonde eye to these glaring flaws in your rhetoric. I have zero taller ants when it comes to people spouting out hate in the name of moral righteousness. You just need to remember what comes around is all around, and when supply and command fails you will be the first to go. Make my words, when you get down to brass stacks it doesn't take rocket appliances to get two birds stoned at once. It's clear who makes the pants in this relationship, and sometimes you just have to swallow your prize and accept the facts. You might have to come to this conclusion through denial and error but I swear on my mother's mating name that when you put the petal to the medal you will pass with flying carpets like it’s a peach of cake.

Good post
Kill yourself

paid $500 for a shitty CE lancer.
the engine crapped itself about a week after I bought it, which was honestly a good thing. I bought a new engine and gearbox for like $200 and engine swapped them with the help of my brother and my father.
let your kid buy his shitbox. it'll be a good experience for him.

Even if this isn't bait I want it to be. Parents should be able to talk to their kids and be able to communicate ideas. Why don't you talk to him instead of Veeky Forums, or maybe some friends of yours are also parents that may have gone through something similar. Also with your given ultimatum what makes you even begin to think he'll appreciate a car bought for him?

My parents matched the 3 grand I had when I got my learner's permit and got me a truck.

It was given to me by a guy at my church, but my parents felt they should give him something for it so they gave him $200.
>tfw i sold it to the scrap yard a couple years later for $210

I bought my first car when I was 14 for $100. It was a 71 beetle that needed the interior refreshed and the engine rebuilt. Over the next year or so I saved enough for parts and fixed it up. Then, right before I turned 16 I sold it for $1200. Then I used that money to buy another, better bug, which is what I drove through highschool after I got my license. Since then I've had probably 20 or so cars. I attribute most of my skills as a mechanical engineer to all that time I spent working on my shitbox cars in the back yard when I was a kid.
Tldr- let your kid have his shitbox. In fact, don't buy him anything once he's old enough to drive.

Well that's the thing, he won't appreciate it but he'll have to drive it. He agreed to these terms. People in this thread are really into the whole project idea though so I may hear him out a bit more.

Parents traded their moldy old camper for my aunt's truck. I miss that beautiful beast.

i bought my first car, but i kinda liked the shitboxes i drove before i bought my own.

my parents let me drive an 04 jetta and 97 ram1500 before i ended up just buying my own because i wanted something reliable.

*my first, first car was a 92? accord that was leaking oil and in terrible disrepair, lesson learned with that one. but i drove that once and then parked it for a year and a half.

No one really bought my first car
It was just kind of laying around
Parents bought it for my sister, years earlier but she was too lazy to learn manuel
So it sat until I got my license

I would let him do it if it were me. Just go with him when he shops for cars and make sure you approve of it
If you aren't confident in your own judgement, get a second opinion from a mechanic
4000 is not unreasonable to find a decent used car for
I bought my current car for 1400 and have put no money into it and use it as a daily
Plus the only way for him to learn how to fix cars is to fix cars
Also you should consider it a good thing that he is self reliant
The alternative is being dependent on you
I totally understand his point of view
Wanting something for yourself that no one gave to you

Just some thoughts

to followup, the 92 accord i had bought i had the same exact plans as your kid does with the shitbox he wants

don't let him fuck up with that, stronghand them into getting one of the cars you've already preselected, or pick something together. ultimately you should have the say though.

I bought my first car for 5 grand back when I was 16. I worked for about 2 years before saving. Was a pontiac vibe. Disgusting looking car. Best thing about it was that the back seats when folded down made the trunk about the size of a full size mattress. I bored out the heads on the little 4 cylinder engine. It wasn't a bad car but if he wants to learn let him. Nothings more valuable than expierence. Make him pay for insurance as well. My parents who were very strict with me made everything that went into that car come from my pocket. Best thing they could've done for me. Taught me responsibility with a vehicle, and also helped me set up good insurance on my next car. When I hit 18

18 here builsimf my ow. Car listen let him do it

Sounds like he spends too much time on Veeky Forums.

> tfw my modded pontiac vibe now belongs to some random highschool girl.
She better fucking race people in it.

parents bought me a new at the time 2004 mustang cobra but i was pissed because i wanted a boxster so i just beat on it constantly.

Might be able to make the most of it if you help him learn with his project. Kinda how my dad taught me, but also if he fails the project pick out like 3 cars and let him pick one. I didn't get to pick and I hated it.

i bought a broken mitsubishi galant for 50 dollars.

where do you think you are?

either encourage him to do it because it would be good for him to learn how to do some basic work on a car and learn some work ethic plus its a nice hobby. also with youtube and forums and crap like that it wouldnt be all too hard to learn how to fix things. or as also suggested a hatchback can also be cheap, reliable, easy to work on and can be made even more quick than an old muscle car can. shit maybe just get him a bitching hot hatch fuckin 500 abarth has a bunch of mods for it and are stupid cheap now.

>He's looking at twenty+ year old cars that can be had for the

>3k supra

Where to find? Tell me nao!

Sounds like both of you are retarded. A 10k car is no more or less reliable/cheap to run than a 4k car. You can get a decent car that isn't a project for

Gave it away to a old mate

This picture was used a few days ago from a craigslist thread...
I'm bored so I'll bite.
Just give the kid 3k for a car to but and work on, don't waste your money on a new car.
Though why are you giving him a car? My parents never gave me money for a car so I bought an e30 for 600$ and God knows I appreciated that car and loved it to death because of all the work I put in to buy it (5$ an hour farm work because child labor laws suck)

Do what my dad did for me, pay half of whatever shitbox he finds thats not unreasonably unsafe with cash upfront, and then make him pay your half back over time so he learns how shitty loans can be without actually getting him into serious debt, if you have any mechanical skill or know anybody who does, get them into your son's life and teach him about all the interesting stuff

It's normal where i'm from to want a shitbox, lots of kids want to be different and there is a stigma about driving around a car your parents got you for Christmas or some shit

It's character building to work on cars with your mates and once he's got it up to scratch it'll be a real achievement for him.
You want your son to be happy right?
let him get the shitbox, don't sell it on him. your deal is stupid and if you sell what he's been working on he'll hate you for it

my dad payed 400 dollars for my f150 when I was 9 and I've managed to not kill it 10 years later

I wouldn't be surprised considering I showed my son the site

lol he might think that but it'll get old fast

Idk
He wanted 5k and I talked him down to 3500 because the power steering pump was bad and the interior was shit

Fixed the pump for $100, 2 hours of my time and a couple beers, don't tell him

if it isnt bait, read up on the car he's buying. offer to help him restore it and buy his parts. he's going to need it. I bought a 1990 ford probe with my own cash for 2400$, and it's needed $1200 in parts so far. if you're willing to spend the money on him, put it in an investment for him to give later when he needs a place to live instead.

if he is responsible with his own money, tell him that and that you spending money on him to live well isn't "being a trust fund kiddie". tell him making sure his kin lives well is the most important part of raising a family and that spending the money to ensure that isn't wrong.

Ha! This mom's basement dwelling bus rider thinks people put comp and collusion on $1,500 cars. Pure entertainment

buy this kid a civic

>reliable and easy to work on, super easy to learn
>cheap to get a clean one
>enthusiast level shitbox
>max street cred
>ebay parts are actually half decent

>with my teen.
fuck outta here oldfag

i just bought a supra last week for $500 as an unfinished 1uz swap project. will be diving into in the next few weeks.

family had pic related (not my car, but same shitty van with paint problems, all 1989s were like that because GM has brain damage and can't mix primer) since I was bab, when I learned to drive it became my car. it's still a family car so I don't think it counts

the paint and MPG sucked so I bought a civic with my first paycheck worth of engineer autism bucks and have been able to sustain it because I spent so much time working on the van/other cars with my dad for pretty much any maintenance outside of needing specialized tools for alignment or tires or some shit.

My mom paid for insurance, gas, and the car. Nothing wrong with the folks buying the car.

I did it at 17 with no help.
I agreed on $2500 with $500 down and $100/week.

I scrimped and tried to add cash onto my payments to be finished earlier (I didn’t even have a license at that Point; I had let my learners permit lapse because of family matters getting in the way of applying for a real license, so I had no insurance payments)

Don’t help your kid.
And let them work on it.
It’s the best way to learn to truly love your car.

I guess the guy I got it from.

Mom is a housekeeper and she had an old couple that had an unused Ford Contour (mondeo for euros) so they gave it a basic refurbish with new brakes and fluids and gave it to me completely free.

Not a bad car, I'd definitely consider picking up an SVT version if I found one

I had to buy my own first car. It took me until age 25 to be able to afford one. Taking the bus before then fucking sucked.

I did at 21, first job out of university, first car loan, zero down, bad loan. But I paid it off on my own and learned my lesson. I still have the old beast (06 Kia Optima), it's been dependable at least.

My mother has been dead for seventeen years friend

>age 25
Jesus Christ user. How much of a fuckup were you?

Age 17
Grandpa said if I fix the rear bumper and buy myself new tires, his E36 is mine
Luckily I had a scholarship

My parents bought me a wrecked shit box and told me to fix it.
That was my favorite car.

my grandmother, it was a hand-me-down

I bought my first car for 2000 canadian smeckles last year. 04 RSX-S, car before that was me mums kia rio.

When I was 17 my parents bought me my own car. It was 8k USD and I still feel bad about it to this day. It's still driving just fine to this day, but i still feel bad for letting them buy me it. I wanted to do what OP's son wants to do but my parents decided to buy me a nice, but used car.

Ok Norman bates, still full of $(/? Tho.

My dad gave me his truck the day I turned 16. Dont ever plan on selling it

And you're still a lying 4chin troll 17 years later? She probably died of embarrassment you were her son

I inpatiently bought a car when I was 17, had to replace the alternator and brakes but it just made me love that shitbox even more.

Let the kid buy his car and offer mechanical guidance where you can

>smeckles
its not 2015 fuck off youngfag

He's young. Don't be so controlling. Keep the money in the bank to help with repairs. Let him do what he wants.

/thread

OP i didn't even read your entire blogpost but from what i did, it seems you are being a humungous retard about this.

you should support your kids ideas at this point and let him try it. be there for him and be ready to help out when he opens ups to you about it and asks for help.

the only thing you should be concerned with is his safety. i.e, making sure his vehicle is safe and roadworthy when he finally starts to drive it.

this helicopter parent bullshit is what drove Alexander Supertramp to hitch hike to Alaska and miserably die alone in the wilderness

it sounds like you don't have a clue about human development, child psychology, or parenting in general.

you should be proud of him for wanting to do this on his own, and give him the freedom to do it, but also support him in this project in practical ways, cheer him on and celebrate his little victories with him as he goes along.

sounds like you have no confidence in him and you don't want him to learn and grow by challenging himself and have his own victories.

sounds more like you just cant wait to see him fail so you can pull the rug out from under him and force him to accept whatever you want.

thats pretty shitty of you

DAD gave me a 1983 gl cressida

biggest turd

/thread

first of all what car does he want?

get him a nice old 4th gen camaro v8

has to be b8

do what a lot of parents did back in my day here in straya, offer to match him dollar for dollar so he can get something less of a shitbox to start off in

doing your own work is admirable but having a shitter that can't even get you to work/school on time is not - better to get something more reliable (and not rusted out) to start with and learn to work on it doing basic maintenance before diving into serious shit

fucked if i know what i'll do when that time comes though, by the time my two year old reaches high school the self-driving meme will probably be mandated by law and we'll be buying something on the black market to hoon around the desert mad max style

My parents bought me a 2011 Jimny. I drove it around for about a year, and I sold it and bought an NA Miata, in pretty good condition to be fair. I took the $3k I had leftover from that, and fixed the car up to be reliable for many more miles, and then saved the rest. So I have $2k in a low risk investment, earning around 3% yearly interest, and a dead reliable car that I enjoy driving as well.
At first my parents were upset I sold the car, since they bought it with my safety and its reliability in mind. Once I showed them that my current car was not that much more unsafe compared to the Jimny, that it was equally reliable and actually cheaper to maintain, and that I had made a financially smart decision by keeping my leftover money and making it work for me, they changed their tune. They were suddenly very happy that I made an independent and intelligent decision, but that I was also happy fixing up and maintaining my car.
If your kid isn't being an idiot with their money, they are showing consciousness about their safety, and they are enjoying themselves by doing something they like, what's the problem?

hsp?

/this anyway absolute 100% this

op is a cotton wool tier faggot mate

tfw dad's dead

Parents bought me 3 x $1000 shitboxes on demand when I was in highschool. All 3 were not drivable when we got them.
>87 fiero
>another 86 fiero
>87 trans am.
All 3 run great now, 8 years later.
Anyway stop being a female dad and teach him how to work on cars.

I used to be a high school dropout, so I was a pretty big fuckup. I got my license at 16 though.

>Anyway stop being a female dad and teach him how to work on cars.
he doesnt know how

My mom bought me my $1300 96 Civic that's pretty ricey. Although I love it I don't truly feel like it's mine. Let your kid buy his own car and don't fucking sell it.

>people are this jelly of my supra
feelsgoodman.jpg

Don't let him get an old car, not because of repairs but because they are far, far less safe than a modern car.

Bought my own first 22 year old car with no expierience about cars. Repaired it myself since something was broken every week. I even totaled it and repaired the damage by pulling out the bent frame. Had to replace whole front bodypanels. Learned a lot about cars by doing this.

I bought my own car. Never was gifted one. It doesn't mean anything as it comes down to learning how to value things and working for money rather than just earning the car. Moving out and being self sustaining is more important than the argument on whether the 1st car should be gifted or not.

>youngfag
Okay? The thread is about buying your first car, why are you being a hostile faggot? Go back to /b/ with your shit attitude.

>larping as your parents
why though

Right on, Rick.

>automatic
>pre '90
>a/c display cracked
body is pretty nice though
7/10
what else is wrong with it mechanically/cosmetically