Is the 2018 Mazda 3 the best new compact sedan right now?

Is the 2018 Mazda 3 the best new compact sedan right now?
inb4 3k civic

mazda is an absolute meme brand

what brand isn't at this point

The new civic is probably better if only because the Mazda is getting a little long in the tooth. It's almost 5 years old now.

for the price and what you get, the touring model is pretty solid, yeah

just get the manual. nobody does manual gearboxes and clutches like mazda does.

Except their auto is so damn near telepathic you won't miss out even if you go for slushbox

All new Mazda 6 comimg very soon. I don't know why you would get a 3 when the very bare-bones model only costs 3k less than an entry-yet-well-appointed 6.

Yes, but the civic and cruze are good too if you are into those. civic is technically better but looks like it was designed and assembled by a blind toddler.

It will catch fire. there is a problem with them that Mazda won't knowledge.

Friend has one, it's pretty decent

op can't inb4

yeah but rip mazdaspeeds

I drove one and it was okay. Not really that exciting desu senpai

Why would you want a compact sedan? They're awful, all the downsides of a compact car with none of the space of a hatchback.

And the Nissan drives the best out of the lot

speeds are coming back as a special version.

No other brand is offering similar quality of design aesthetics and interior quality combined with respectable mileage.

They might come back, their new engines are certainly more sporty than current ones.

The Sentra with the SR Turbo and 6 speed stick is pure sex on wheels
Turn off VDC and slap on sport to make that bitch fly

Current 3 is good, Civic barely edges it out in a couple of ways. Next gen 3, due as a 2019 model, is going to be fucking spectacular. And get the hatch for fuck's sake.

In my humble opinion.

>gm
>anything american for that matter
very mediocre opinion

No such thing.

Civic has a bit of an edge in engine options but it still feels like a chintzy poor-man's car at any price point. The Mazda 3 is much more well-built and handles better. It's the superior car if you aren't a ricer or a poorfag stuck buying basic optionless throwaway trim packages.

If the real thing isn't just this with real mirrors and wheels (and maybe more pedestrian door handles) I'll riot. I don't care if nobody else comes with me and I'm the only idiot running around Hiroshima knocking in windows and shit, I'll riot.
They have to have that interior with it too. It's not unrealistic, it's minimalist, it's fucking perfect.

I know that feel.
I've always had a hardon for shooting brake designs. Its hard to get right, but good ones are absolutely gorgeous.

Has Mazda actually committed to releasing it?

This. Hand to God, it's some sort of witchcraft. Manuals can't be this smooth and comfy, but the Mazda is.
Source:I've been running around for a while test driving a bunch of shit.

Mazda hasn't committed to anything but the engine. Rumours are either 2019 or 2020 for that.
They're a small company, by automaker standards. The G-vectoring feature cost them a year's R&D budget.

All the bells and whistles, the 6 is about 10 grand more.
It's worth waiting for the new one though, with the turbo 2.5, that's going to be one hell of a car.

What is it 250hp and 310ft lbs? Pretty respectable for a daily driver sedan.
Personally I find it insane how good it looks.

Only thing that throws me off is the center of the steering wheel.

Eh, I'd assume it still pivots on the centre. Was in a current one two days ago, and it was solid.

That little breadbox door that covers the cup holders is beautiful. Whoever put that in deserves a raise.

When I test drove the 3 the manual seemed nice if a bit on the vague side. Then I hopped into a ND and thought, oh, this is the S2000's shifter except a little smoother into 2nd. Start the paperwork Mr. Salesman.

The hatch is so fucking ugly, but yes, the 2019 model fixes the main problem on the Mazda 3, which is that it no longer sounds like sitting in a fighter jet.
The biggest selling point on the baseline mazda 3 for me was that it had no paddle shifters and no infotainment system.

This looks pretty retro. Like, 50's/60's upper market American.
Does anyone else get a similar vibe?

>Mazda
>Reliability
Pick one.

I would love for BMW or VAG group to buy mazda, I just want them to have enough budget to develop what they really want.

>5 years and unlimited mileage
Either the cars are bulletproof or the warranty claims are going to bankrupt them.

Or they will just not honour the warranty due to get out clauses longer than your mom's pubes.

Another company buying out Mazda would totally kill them. Suits always come in and try to change vision and project goals.
Mazda is only Mazda because they're Nippon Stronk.

>Civic barely edges it out in a couple of way

like what? its friendliness for senior citizens? the standard civic is poorly thought out dogshit

I'm afraid their being bought up could be a monkey's paw. They would have lots more capital, so we'd see more cool features like these windshields in the roof, or manual gearboxes for every model and engine configuration, or a new Rotary supercar, but a lot of what distinguishes them now might be lost.
They reinvent the ICE, they put luxury features and build quality at the top of the cheap-car bracket, they've got dedicated teams of artists and sculptors whose sole function is to make their entire lineup* pretty without looking gaudy or silly. All these wonderful things they have going on now, and all the innovative leaps of faith they've always taken would get quashed, cheapened, or swept away by a parent company looking to cut costs and corners.
Getting out from under Ford has been a huge improvement in the cars themselves, because they understand that they need to adapt and evolve faster than anyone else to stay afloat. I just wish more people would go test-drive them. Nobody who tries a CX-5 would buy any competitor short of a bloody Porsche.

*Except the Mazda 5 because no force on Earth or in Heaven could make a minivan look good.

what on earth would mazda get out of that kind of partnership? mazda wouldn't work if it went more upscale

Used Honda Fit

/thread

god no

when was the last time a company being bought out led to good things?

Volvo, Jaguar, Land rover come as examples

>jaguar
>land rover
>good things

I'll give you volvo because they're not too bad

Well, they’re all much better than they were under ford, so it proves my argument

Well it only proves that ford turns everything into shit.

tesla

Also, what about seat and skoda, they benefitted immensly from VAG haven’t they?

Yes.

Who?

Told you. this happened today. lol

Chevrolet buying out GM. Pretty sure that's the only time an acquisition worked out really well.

Yeah, they know and have made people aware. There was a recall for it three years ago slow bro.

>mazda6 with full configuration is about the same price of an audi A5 default.
Man I can't pick between these two around the 40-50k euros segment. Any more pricey and I would love to have an audi A7 2018.

There's nothing wrong with Jaguar.
F-type has the best exhaust acoustics.

>And get the hatch for fuck's sake
hatchbacks are overrated. i fell for the meme and barely ever make use of it. i would have been better off with the sedan desu.

>no force on Earth or in Heaven could make a minivan look good
You were saying?

I really don't like hatchbacks desu, but thats just me. Just the overal design of it makes it look weird.

Thank you for proving my point.

>mazda wouldn't work if it went more upscale
That is their plan right now. They have said their goal is to move up market probably because there is no profit for a small brand selling economy cars.

What is that godforsaken troglodyte

>not the Tipo
lmao

Nissan is garbage

RECONSIDER

Impreza with AWD and manual

Size

Like an old Lincoln