Anybody here DD an ex-mil vehicle? I want an Iltis so bad. There’s apparently tons of parts/part sellers in my area...

Anybody here DD an ex-mil vehicle? I want an Iltis so bad. There’s apparently tons of parts/part sellers in my area, and I have fond memories of the few times I got to rip around in one.

Other urls found in this thread:

govplanet.com/
ironplanet.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Old mil vehicles tend to be clapped out unless they are restored. Its similar to heavily abused fleet vehicles. They also have few if any luxuries, like A/C or decent seats. That being, old .mil vehicles are pretty cool. Do you have a use in mind for it? I wouldn't DD it but it would be fun as a weekend car.

The seats are so nice, since they were lifted from the Sirroco of the day. I remember most of the old tricks to make them bearable. I’ll for sure add an old radio and speakers (hidden away in ammo cans), and route the heat vents to provide better coverage. Otherwise, no worse than driving a soft-top Jeep, albeit with a smaller parts market. But I don’t plan on long road trips, just to baby it in town, maybe rip up the odd dirt road to see friends. Of course, I’ll be taking her to shows and Veeky Forums meets. It does have a bit of neat automotive history to it, more so than your average .mil resto.

Pretty much this. If you want an off road banger, sure. You might enjoy a humvee if you have the cash. But DD isn’t worth it.

if i could get hold of a swimwagen or some half track or something i would daily it.
i really want to get hold of an old military bike with a sidecar.

>tfw no CUCV

The fun factor will get old pretty fast if you drive it daily, and you'll be left with horrendous fuel economy and lack of comfort.
I knew a dude who had one of those Soviet Jeep knockoffs as his only car, but he lived in the country and drove it maybe once a week, and never in freezing weather.

Not going to dd but have been working on this. It only has provisions for a soft top on one side, has a heater but probably wouldn't be comfortable in the cold. Only supposed to get around 20mpg combined on a good day so kind of uneconomical. 3 speed manual, 5.38:1 gears with no od and a 4k rpm limit means slow driving. That vehicle may be different but this one is bare-essentials only and not comfy at all. Think, glorified tractor.
> I’ll for sure add an old radio and speakers (hidden away in ammo cans)
Funny, I have been working on just that in a slightly-larger-then-an-ammo-can older military toolbox for the last week or so, and am also mounting a 24v inverter and cb in the box. Have pix if you want.

>I want to DD something that pays 0 (zero) regards to comfort and is entirely geared towards tasks I wouldn't put it through
Unless your driveway is a two feet deep mud pit, what's the point? In which case it would be easier to fix your driveway.

I have a CUCV

>there are people here who will unironically buy a Humvee in the attempt to daily it, only to find that there's a plaque on the dashboard saying that ear protection is required
>they'll ignore it anyway
>in a few weeks they'll be back, complaining about the permanent shrill ring in their ears

>tfw I drive through this daily

Still not that bad, it gets worse down the road, I'm surprised the google car did it, honestly.

I don’t drive it daily since I work too far from home. However if I could get a job nearer I would.

>1968
>ex MOD
>sounds boneriffic

Still needs a little work.

Got a 71' M35A2 with a winch and heater box (no artic kit). 6x6 2x5spd manual if you're not familiar with em.

I just about daily drive it, half n half with my 97 5spd Accord wagon. I avoid driving it on really short trips because 12 seconds without oil pressure on startup will take a toll on the engine over time.
Once I buy the Jatonka's Spin on Oil Filter Kit I'll drive it for short trips. It changes it from the old cartridge filters to anti-drain back standard filters.

Got a good 1100mile drive coming up next month to the east coast. It's gonna be a dog of a drive going only 50mph~.

Currently sucks because my heater core started leaking so I'm just bundling up when I drive instead of having actual heat.

>pic related, changed the water manifold hoses, Heater box immediately started leaking after the job was done.

>not DDing a kettenkrad

I drove an old Unimog 1300L for as a job and that was enough to make me not want to actually own one.

I'm not an anime potato

Buddy of mine bought a Pinzgauer. Not his DD though (lol manual kia soul). I really want a Unimog, or maybe something with a large flatbed that I can build up. I don't know too much about .mil vehicles.

>I'm surprised the google car did it, honestly

>JEEP ONLY TRAIL

>12 seconds without oil pressure on startup will take a toll on the engine over time.

Wew. Is there anyway to rectify that? One way valve or something?

I want a Unimog myself as it would actually fit in with my line of work but the initial cost price is really prohibitive.

They actually beat tractors when it comes to retaining value.

Soldiers don't have to pay for gas.

shattered i had no space for one when the army was disposing of their 110s here in straya

i learned to drive in the civilian version with the same engine and it was a fantastic beast

>" I buy the Jatonka's Spin on Oil Filter Kit I'll drive it for short trips. It changes it from the old cartridge filters to anti-drain back standard filters.

The kit bolts on in place of the factory oil filters and hold pressure and oil to reduce initial start up wear.

>heater box dissembled, heater core was pressure tested, no leaks

fuck that has a beautiful post apocalyptic future aesthetic.

MOGfag here. MOGs are great fun to drive, but they do take a LOT of looking after. The tour company I used to work for had a fleet of seven MOGs even though we only ran four per day because at any given time at least two MOGs were down for repairs.
That's not counting the two parts MOGs we had at the shop, cause it's not like you can just go to AutoZone when something breaks.

110 defender would have been nice.

Mines a series 2a. Came in 88 and 109 inch wheelbase.

At some point in its life someone put a removable hardtop on it. Previous owner siliconed it though making it permanent unless I get busy.

A shame you missed it. They’re worth having.

I think it would be fun to have an M715 Kaiser as a weekend fun rig, but I wouldn't want to DD it.

>cause it's not like you can just go to AutoZone when something breaks.

Neither can I.

Parts for even the most popular vehicle are scarce here. I have the MOST popular model yet I still have to import parts that aren't consumables. My second vehicle I made sure to be American because it's easy as fuck to just hop on Amazon and click a button then send the info to my shippers and I know I will have it in a month. Or if I need it now, send it on the cargo plane and I have it in a few days if I time it right. A week at worst on the plane.

I have gotten into a lot of jungle road cutting type work and even the Taliban Hilux or land rover aren't agricultural enough.

I am looking for something more like a tractor but can manage comfortably running at 20mph on tarmac to get between sites.

Price point is important because every saved $ is more fuel for work.

I still see a surprising number on the road, mostly M1009s,

Going by the "G" the most common vintage DDs are re-engined M713s or vintage M37 scout cars

It’s got decent fuel economy. Either a 1.7L or similar diesel option. Hard top options exist, but eh, I can handle it. I’m from up North, AB winters are balmy in comparison.
But they are surprisingly comfy. And it’s one of the few cars that put a genuine smile on my face when I drive it. I dunno, it’s just fun.
Well, thankfully she’s good on gas.
>Implying I still don’t steal gas from the army via a buddy

ours were the 110s with an isuzu truck engine fitted (the 4BD1 3.9L diesel) - heavy but fucking unstoppable

i'd probably get a td5 defender over one these days because they'd be nicer to live with but fuckers still want piles of money for them

Oh nice. Mine is a series 2a with a 2.25L petrol. Diesel isn’t as sought after over here for this Land Rover type.

A TD5 would be lovely to live with. This series 2a is currently a little mobility challenged and isn’t starting. Finish work in a few days and I’ll get working on it.

I bet that 3.9L sounded gutsy as hell. I’d prefer a 109 series 2a but the mpg would be even worse and it’s far harder to find.

My 5-ton was a DD for a couple weeks after my car got totaled. It was good fun, until the transmission failed; the turbine shaft was broken in half, but I think it was an issue that was present for quite some time, it just didn't become a serious problem until the needle bearing in the front support assembly failed completely.

Time spent working to fix it was relatively short. It took about one day to remove the transmission and one day to reinstall it. It was also about a day to disassemble, inspect and replace parts, and reassemble.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. Working on military vehicles is quite nice because everything is very accessible.

Thanks, it took a lot of work to get it looking that good, even.

Why doesn't that ferd f150 have a bed liner?

Because messicans.

I’ve always wanted a willys jeep ever sense I’ve seen a good movie with them in it but never can remember what movie I also want a nother military jeep like that but not humvees cause those are not my favorite

Go on internet movie automobile database. Search vehicle.

Boom. List of movies. Good luck though, it will be a long list.

govplanet.com/
ironplanet.com/

For anyone interested. This is where I bought my CUCV from.

>the transmission failed; the turbine shaft was broken in half, but I think it was an issue that was present for quite some time, it just didn't become a serious problem until the needle bearing in the front support assembly failed completely.
Ah, it's good to know that MUH MILITARY RELIABILITY is the same meme as MUH PANTHER RELIABILITY.
t. former p71 owner

>CUCV
CUckold Crossover Vehicle?

Nah, it was nothing of "muh military reliability". It was because I got it for cheap off some guy, and for the longest time couldn't figure out why it was priced the way it was; especially given the fact that it drove perfectly fine for exactly one year. But, if you want to go the "muh military reliability" route, it was still able to move around even with a busted turbine shaft.

Commercial Utility Cargo Vehicle.

Damn, that's a weird ass way to break. Any idea why it didn't shear in a more shallow fashion?

>The beginning of Cars & Coffee this morning

It is probably because it twisted itself apart and my guess is this was due to fatiguing in the metal. After disassembling the forward clutch assembly and pressing out the broken turbine shaft, it became obvious that the turbine shaft had been serviced in the past by someone (military). They ground the shaft down and sleeved the lower portion, which is for sealing. You can see in the attached image the sleeve was pulling away from the right side of the shaft. From the break-point down toward the splines that hold it into the forward clutch housing, there is a hairline fracture that runs directly through the sleeved area and over a lubrication hole.

Apparently it is common in the MT654CR transmissions to break the turbine shaft.

I can tell you now that if you get the heater working and aimed correctly, you'll sweat your nuts off with the top down and -10°F outside temperature.

Is that the Automatic Allison transmission?

I drove several Deuce and a halfs and always heard from others that the automatic transmissions sucked.

It's a 5-ton, not a 2.5-ton.
The automatic is actually quite good. The shifts are firm and predictable; I adjusted the valve body to keep the engine always at peak power. It really makes driving the truck a breeze.
The downside is the turbine shaft, but I don't haul anything (except for people, occasionally), so I don't anticipate it breaking anytime soon.