License plate readers

sup faggots,

my city just installed these at every major entrance to our city. personally i think it’s fucked since we already have our plates read by every passing cop car. I mean sure maybe they’ll catch some child kidnapper or some shit with a warrant on his plates but i still think it’s excessive.

is my city late to the party or is this a new thing

Ur city a shit

they're supposedly for "intelligent traffic management" in my city

Where I live certain cities have a ban on 20+ year old cars, so if they catch a license plate of one that's over 20 years old they'll automatically send the owner a fine in the mail. Shit's fucked.

how is it excessive? if you aren't a scumbag crimmo then it isn't an issue for you.

UNITED KEKDOM

>if you aren't a scumbag crimmo
I'm not. But it troubles me that we are getting put under stronger surveillance each year because of niggers.

most cities don't have them at fixed points, but state money will often provide local departments with the money to install it on a car.

because there's virtually no limitations on how long data can be retained for non-hits (people who are scanned but don't show up with any violations) or how it must be stored or limitations on sharing (state motor vehicles -> feds). it basically becomes another huge feeder for the intelligence apparatus sucking up the travel patterns of millions of americans with no oversight.

use it to scan against vehicles with no insurance or expired tags or stolen or whatever? fine. but I'm not guilty? delete your shit immediately. I don't want everywhere I ever travel to logged in a state database.

but the data retained is data they already have, your travel habits are more than likely already in a database just because you buy fuel for your car and shop in certain stores, if it really makes you uncomfortable you can always live in the wilderness, right?

>oy vey you don't have anything to hide so what's the problem
Land of the Heeb
Home of the Slave
Goyische until proven Kosher

>the "become ted kaczynski if you want privacy" retort
not persuasive. even if you do shop/fuel with cash you have no choice when you pass a license plate reader if you are read. if that serves a legitimate public interest that's good, but if it's used to build up profiles on people previously not suspected of a crime to either gain leverage over them, it's shit.

I bet you didn't know that the FBI has a program that they use with US customs to target people of certain backgrounds. If they believe those individuals can be made into informants (regardless of whether or not they have committed no crimes themselves), they will instruct US Customs to detain them, take personal items, dump cell phone data, etc. to then gain leverage on them to turn them into potential informants (or merely the promise of relief from trouble entering the US if they cooperate with the FBI).

you can be the first to sign up for the state//fed issued personal injected microchip if you want, but I don't intend to give up all of my privacy to local authorities under the "b-b-but think of the children" argument.

tin foil hat producers itt

most people don't give a shit because most people have more important things to worry about

shaking my head in real life to be honest

>ban on 20+ year old cars
What commie shithole do you live in?

>my city just installed these at every major entrance to our city. personally i think it’s fucked since we already have our plates read by every passing cop car.

Some cities in the Eurabian Caliphate have started banning cars over a certain age, usually 20 years. Some places it's just diesels, other places just everything that's deemed "too old and polluting".

Britbong tier.

That's by actual emissions, not by age. Also I very rarely see cars that don't get a green tag. The standards for the tags are now a decade old and are beginning to mean nothing.

Furthermore if you register a more than 30 years old vehicle as historic you're immediately excempt from all emissions bans even if it's a two-smoke semi truck.

t. German

Thats hellish
Is that real?

i mean, america is a country where driving is a huge factor in everyday life. so more people are driving. would you prefer the police to call in every single license plate they see?

>inb4 “bu...but..but why do they have to scan them at all that’s an infringement on muh privacy and rights”

shut the fuck up, driving is a fucking privilege that has serious responsibilities that should be closely regulated. i don’t want dirt bags with no license no insurance and no inspection to be driving around on the same roads as people who can afford to be safe and responsible. who fucking cares if the plates get read, if you’re a decent person they will literally never effect you, you can’t possibly suggest that people with warrants attatched to their license deserve to just run around free until they happen to get seen by a cop

I work for a large 'traffic management' company.

At any time I can get live feed of all directions of any corner or bridge in NYC including plate data. Our agreement with NYMTA is to keep all the data and images for 90 days, and I happen to be sysadmin so I could access the data any time (I don't care enough to tho). We do other cities too, but NYC is pretty extreme w/ it.

There is minimal linkage to law enforcement, though the system auto-reports stolen vehicles. A lot of the cameras are just for synchronizing traffic lights btw. Also, I find the whole system to be somewhat immoral but hey, dat cash.

Ask any questions you may have.

what the actual fuck
what kike hole do you live in?

Not being sarcastic, I really don't see how that's a personal security problem at all. Interesting that NYPD isn't abusing the system. Theft prevention is a good thing and using cameras to time stoplights instead of inductive coils or pressure plates has got to be superior.

Eh, I'm fine w/ it the way it is, but it's a slippery slope. One day there might be face scanners and these systems will be tied into local gov't.

There's a difference between a camera that detects cars, and a camera that records video or takes photos.

Also in places like NYC you really have no reason to complicate the stop light system with traffic timing. It's busy enough as it is you can optimized traffic flow on a timer.
And most places that get slow enough should be switching over to flashing yellows and flashing reds anyway.

Traffic engineering is a joke, and it's not about optimization of traffic flow.
At night here they set up stop lights to give the traffic on the main road a red for ~30 seconds as soon as it sees it coming. It's deliberate to stop you from continuing, the sensors aren't broken, the light will be green for an hour, and as soon as a car comes it'll switch to red and make them stop.

There already are face scanners in airports and on trains.

at first glance I thought the symbol in the eyes were the symbol for the government in V for vendetta

>But it troubles me that we are getting put under stronger surveillance each year because of niggers.
This desu. It fucking sucks

>driving is a fucking privilege that has serious responsibilities that should be closely regulated.
fuck off cia nigger