CV axle from hell

In the middle of replacing pic related and I cannot push the new axle into the transaxle on my Subaru.. Should I hit it with a hammer to get it to go in? Never had this problem with my Mazda.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bFuK9CqbOs0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Is it supposed to be pressed in? Have you tried freezing it?

I like the freezing idea to make the diameter smaller..Will clear out room in my freezer for this. The old axle popped out with a prybar and from what I can tell the new axle should slide in with some force.

I compared the old and new axle they look exactly the same

Is this the problem you're having?
youtu.be/bFuK9CqbOs0

You can also heat up the spot where it connects onto the transaxle but don't do it excessively.

If you have to hammer it in either get a mallet, or a piece of wood and hammer on it.

Not a bad idea but he'll need a MapGas or acetylene torch to get that amount of heat.

Butane torch won't cut it.

I just grabbed the axle part closest to the transmission and shoved it in there really fast, it went in easily. If you try forcing it or doing it slowly it won't go in easily.

The clip on the new axle does look slightly bigger than the clip on the old axle
I dont have a torch but I could go buy one.. Wouldnt the heat damage the axle seal?

Remove the clip on the new axle and see if it slides in. If it does, then the problem your having is with the clip or maybe you are not pushing it in hard enough

>I dont have a torch but I could go buy one.. Wouldnt the heat damage the axle seal?

You'd only be heating the part where the splines slide in, I only do it to get that last fraction of a MM if its not going just by freezing the axle.

So the axle slides in no problem after prying out the clip.. Im guessing it would be stupid to just leave the axle in without a retaining clip so I need to figure out how to make the clip smaller

Bernzomatic Map gas torch kits are usually less than $60.

Use a screwdriver and place it on the indentation on the front of the axle, then give it a few taps with a hammer

Thanks my buddy is about to bring his over with some beer.
Gonna try to shrink the clip a little bit like in the video after I pop it back on the axle

acetylene torch will be too hot, Mapp will do just fine. the guy in the video uses a mapp torch and you're right butane won't cut it

You do know Acetylene have heater nozzles right, and can be adjusted for lower heat too?

Did you make this video specifically for op?

I always thought subarus used a roll pin to retain the driveshaft to the gearbox.

Mine was like that and the axles pretty much slid right in. But there are a few different designs out there so I assume OP has one that's just a PITA.

does it still secure the shaft though?

This isn’t a fun job. Why are you even doing it yourself? Should’ve just taken it to a mechanic

Put a small amount of grease around that clip, and you'll be able to pop it in with just your hands.

this
>grease the splines, and get a soft ended deadblow, whack it in place.

Some of the subes use a roll pin to secure the axle to the splined shaft
Yes as long as you don't go overboard. This is meant to address a problem with aftermarket axles where the clip is not small enough in diameter. Trying to hammer in an axle with an oversized retaining clip can result in the clip bending or marring the splines.

what brand op