What older American subcompact should I buy?

There's a guy in my town that has a mint looking 1st gen festiva I see just sitting in the driveway every time I pass by it. I offered to buy it.

what other subcompacts should I look out for in the future? I've been wanting to do a diesel conversion to one for the longest time, to make the ultimate fuel-sipping econo-shitbox.

the geo metro is my other option but I haven't seen a decent one in my area for quite some time.

Other urls found in this thread:

stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-datsun-720-pickup-diesel/6464055629.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anything with the Iron Duke engine will serve you very well. (Pontiac 6000, Chevy Celebrity, Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, Buick Century) They aren't really what you'd call "compacts", but they are reliable as fuck. Festivas certainly aren't bad cars though. Neither are metros. They are both very prone to rust in the Midwest.

Have you considered a light pickup truck? S10s and Rangers make pretty good bangers.

I've mostly been looking at the super tiny 3-banger cars. I've always had this weird fascination with tiny econo-boxes that I can tune to make super light and scary to drive, or convert to diesel just because.

I extended my desire to purchase the festiva, but by the looks of it, the owner has that same weird fascination and may not give it up. I'm an East coaster, and he's kept that think in fantastic shape.

some older I4s I would kill for thought would be the Isuzu impulse or a Subaru XT.

You're in a bad country for that, I'm afraid. We burgers have always loved our big turds. Have you considered a bike?

Buy this thing

actually I have. like I said, super interested in converting something to diesel, and I've considered taking a worn out old Royal Enfield or Harley and turning into an ultra-utilitarian diesel bike. something that would run forever on a single tank of fuel. the problem there is its more of a novelty than doing that to a car.

I know it isn't ideal, but it's something I've always wanted to do. if I can find a decent 25 or 30hp diesel motor that will fit and mate up to a tranny, I'll do it.

alternatively I could do what one guy did, and make a bike with a permanently attached sidecar that basically housed a massive t-55 diesel engine, and build a coal-rolling diesel trike, however I think that's a little out of the scope of my reasoning for doing it in the first place, lol.

literally why when it's exactly like the subcompacts of the 80s and 90s in every way except for safety standards of course? in terms of fuel economy, a geo metro is better if I'm not mistaken, not to mention actually easier to see out of.

Not trying to necessarily sway you away from diesel, but it does have its drawbacks. Jelling up in the winter and having a direct link to lung cancer are the two major ones that come to mind. If you are looking to swap something out with a diesel motor that bad though, I would certainly suggest a small pickup truck.

Well the 1.0 fiesta can make 170hp pretty easily. Thats kind of the reason l like it.

Chase after obama-axed cars if you want. Theyll always have a place in my heart too. But I wouldnt dog the fiesta. That 3cyl is pretty nifty.

>direct link to lung cancer

I'm already fucked then in that regard then. going into the military as aerospace ground equipment mechanic for the WV Air Guard. glorified diesel and hydraulic mechanic.

I'll look into the pickup, because I could use a light duty truck for hauling. will definitely consider an old nissan/datsun/mazda light truck for this, and work a diesel into it at some point. the cold weather downsides can be managed if you know how to work around diesels, not a serious drawback for me. I gotta get rid of the 3 cars I have first lol, and make space for the new ones.

>he thinks exposure is a guarantee of cancer later on
You are only raising the statistical likelihood that you will develop cancer if you continue to encounter toxins further in life. I've encountered asbestos fibers during my life. The odds are not likely that I will develop anything because of it, but you won't see me making those odds less in my favor.

Why not buy a mirage then? It's essentially the modern equivalent of the geo metro with the added benefit of modern safety features.

these are neat, but I prefer something I can tune and work on myself more easily. the more modern cars get, the more unrealistic that idea gets as well. these are nearly as tiny as the oldies too. I doubt there's much room in the engine bay to work with in the future.

Airbags are a nice luxury though. I'll keep an eye on these in the future, since they're already only 11k where I live and they'll surely become dirt cheap on the used market in one or two years.

small correction: these 'aren't' nearly as tiny ad the oldies either. fuck it's late here.

Same here user. Just bought an 87 sentra coupe (not american i know) but none of these cars really were. Something intriguing about the utilitarian aspect of them. The bare bones, no frills, econobox of the past.

I really meant shipped and sold in America. you get me though.

I love the idea of ripping EVERYTHING out of the car, getting weight down to absolute minimum, and slapping a turbo on the shitty I3 and going to town.

I think these qualify as well.

if only we could have Ladas. I fucking wish I could have that 4x4 Lada coupe

These bois too. Capri.

These terrified me. Could you imagine a rollover at 65mph?

Or these.

My dad worked for ford and bought one on the a plan out of spite when his gf wrecked his 50s tbird. Penance for letting the situation happen i suppose. He never ince changed the oil in the 4 years i recall he had it. Said he finally pulled the stick to check it and there was a solid sting of oil he could pull out of like spaghetti.

He finally changed it and had it a few more years without issue.

Dodge Omni

Bonus points if you can find a Shelby one.

those tiny fuckers are sexy as shit. too bad all the ones for sale have their tops torn to shit. it's hard to find a good one these days.

Man there was one for sale in knoxville 3 mo ago and i didnt have $. I think he only wanted like 2200.

a turbo'd festiva because reasons.

My holy grail econobox is a 4WD Subaru Justy.
I think if you really want to win the game though, you need to get your hands on a Renault LeCar.

Justys are fuckin rad, but they're damn for what they are. even the ones that people have raped to death. they are basically a more modern AMC eagle though, which is cool.

LeCars are also fucking cool, but they're nonexistent. if I had to get a super obscure car, it'd be a Subaru XT or Isuzu Impulse. not really subcompacts, but they're some pretty retro cars.

They're damn expensive*

my phone likes to delete words randomly.

Dodge Colt/Plymouth Champ/Eagle Summit.
Or a Chevette/Pontiac Acadian.

There's a chevette in my area, but it's a little too big for what I'm looking for, and they probably want too much for it, theyre asking $3700 firm with little info. it's probably hollow underneath.

A festiva or a metro are still going to be your best bet. Super-minis just didn't catch on in NA since most commuting is done on interstates.

Not really a subcompact but smaller than a last gen honda fit, and the late 80's/early 90's models had the 1.6 b6 like the miata (SOHC tho)
I have one (pic related) and want to get a b6t swap from a capri so it stays fwd and i don't have to deal with drivetrain conversions, and also some slightly better suspension since it currently handles like a 70's landbarge

this is literally perfect for you, user

stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/d/1981-datsun-720-pickup-diesel/6464055629.html

corvair
chevy monza with the 350 but the engine will need a few simple mods since its from the malaise era.

that is fuckin cool, but I don't live anywhere near St Louis and getting it home would be a Royal pain. hell though, 500 dollars for shipping is still a good price.

those are a little big, but the Monzas are cool, they look like beefed up Ford EXPs.

what's that

Looks like an old 323 hatchback.

Bought this today user. Fighting the good fight.

Did someone say Omni?