Is the CVT gearbox really THAT bad?

Thinking about getting an IS

Other urls found in this thread:

eahart.com/prius/psd/
hybridcars.com/the-three-main-types-of-hybrids-explained/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

To Veeky Forums, yes.
Unless you prefer a dull car that does its job simply, CVT is for you. When it breaks down, the replacement cost is very expensive. :^)

>lex
>breaking down ever

joke of the day goes to this fag

I prefer sporty, but will be doing lots of motorway miles. My other choice is a 3 Series, but I see too many women driving them.

The e-CVT in that IS hybrid won't break at all, since it's not even a real CVT while also being way better than the latter at its work.

>t. IS 300h owner

>lexus never break down meme
They do, but not often. SIlly lexus fancuck

What's it like on a twisty road?

It has a very nice grip (the F-Sport has larger rear wheels), you don't really feel the weight - which is high because of the batteries - and it's sharp and precise, nothing to complain about. Absolutely zero roll, you can also tweak the active suspension in the F-sport with SPORT+ as the stiffest preset.

The only little complain I have it's about the steering wheel which is filtered, you don't feel the road under the wheels, it kinda feels lifeless even though as I said it's very precise and comfortable.

For example the Alfa Giulia steering wheel is the best steering imho, it's the opposite of this one in the Lexus while being even more sharp and direct.

The e-CVT is not the best for "sporty" driving of course, but it does the job flawlessly.

>CVT
>Gearbox

Holy shit that triggers my autism.

It has literally 1 variable gear, basically infinite gears.

Go sperg somewhere else.

The CVT in my dad's RX450h, my father in law's CT200h and my gf's Yaris is quite bad. They rev to the moon if you give it a bit of gas, they drone on the highway, and they give you the effect of rubberbanding. I much prefer a modern TC automatic.

If you want a sporty highway cruiser, get a C-class or 3er.

>Yaris

It has a less refined hybrid system than every other toyota/lexus hybrid, also being only a 1.5 it needs to rev up to produce some torque

>RX450 and CT

Year?

When I brought my car to the dealer for manteinance over the years I drove the pre restyling CT which did what you described and the post restyling (MY 2016) model with updated transmission - I guess only an updated ECU tune from factory - which was way faster when reacting, producing more power without the need to floor the pedal. So was the NX 300h.

Never drove the RX but having a 3.5 V6 the rpm would go sky high only if you floor it, the same as my IS 300h.

2008 RX450h and a 2014 and 2016 CT200h.

2014 one got rear ended at 145kph by a drunk driver on the Autobahn, rolled at least three times. Car was filled with five people, everybody walked out with only two minor cuts and a concussion between them - which meant that they immediately bought another one. I felt no difference between the two, they all jump to almost redline when you use medium to full throttle.

Nice one.

I wanted a 200t so bad but they're rare and expensive here in europe and I can't afford one brand new so I just got a civic

theres no gears in the first place brainlet it’s a variable pulley.

Is letting your wife fuck her bull twice a week really that bad? You get to spend all the rest of your time together and you still get to pick up her son from school every day so I guess it's fine, right?

the one in my new civic hatch isnt too awful and works for the commute. it holds “gear”alright in sport mode and will give power when you need it, I have yet to see if it helps fuel economy that much. the droning noise of the engine is gross. that being said id rather just have a regular automatic.

No its not, its designed around being fuel efficient

the pulley is the gear. There are 2 and a belt and they change size depending on conditions

Ecvts are the best for mechanical simplicity, only thing to go wrong is the electronics which are usually pretty though.

The IS doesn't have a CVT, does it?
I just checked the Lexus website and it says it's a 8-speed auto.

>I have yet to see if it helps fuel economy that much.
The theory is that unlike a traditional transmission that cycles through gears when the RPM's get high enough a CVT is able to hold a lower average RPM than a traditional gear box transmission. Lower RPM average means less gas used.

h is for hybrid, the hybrids all have CVT

200t is fucking AWFUL because the engine is too underpowered for the weight of the car.

is the new Lexus IS really CVT? this is disappointing

My family has over $3k in repairs on the supposed god car of japan
Nice fucking meme

is a cvt cheaper than putting in a standard 6-7speed auto?

CVTs feel weird even in comparison to traditional planetary auto boxes. Sometimes the engine will sit at a fixed speed while the car accelerates, other times gearbox will continually adjust itself to the load causing the rpm to fluctuate without the speed of the car changing. There's nothing strictly bad about this because usually it's to maximise efficiency, but it just feels jarring because even with traditional auto boxes you usually don't experience any of this. Rather than the engine and transmission working together as one unit, a CVT feels like the engine and transmission are just doing their own thing.

Guys, you still don't realise that in the Lexus hybrids and Toyota hybrids there isn't a classic CVT gearbox but there is an e-CVT which is a marketing name for the PSD (power split device) which is like a differential which has to split the torque coming from both the electric and ICE engine and send it to the rear wheels.

There are no belts and such, just a planetary gear and some other mechanical things. Just google PSD and read.

It's way better than a classic CVT in every aspect.

eahart.com/prius/psd/

98% of nip cars' automatic transmissions are CVT cuz of MUH fuel efficiency, not FUN.

>Nip cars = NO FUN ALLOWED
True.
I noticed that VW refuses to have CVT in their cheap cars. They managed to implement manual/DSG in their hybrid cars. I tested out a manual Jetta hybrid, and it is smooth and fun. VW perfected it, but too bad most americans won't buy it -- VW canned this manual jetta hybrid after few years of its debut.

It's not that they figured out how to implement a DSG in their hybrids while Toyota is bad, the truth is that we're talking about a mild hybrid car (vag) vs full hybrid (Toyota).

The jetta has and electric module inside the gearbox just like in the hybrid bmw with the ZF and the same module implemented in the gearbox.

The Toyota system as I said doesn't have a real gearbox, the PSD/e-CVT gearbox IS the hybrid system, it's not an accessory part.

>mild hybrid car (vag) vs full hybrid (Toyota).
Jetta Hybrid is full hybrid.
hybridcars.com/the-three-main-types-of-hybrids-explained/

savage. You trigger toyotacucks

Yep I was wrong but still we have the ICE engine which is a classic otto cycle TSI engine that you can find in any VAG car while the other proper hybrids have NA Atkinson cycle engines, focused on low emissions.

If you want a proper hybrid with a dual clutch you should check pic related.

Or this.