Other urls found in this thread:

etherpad.net/p/agdg
twitter.com/nickisnixed/status/895091539025698816/video/1
clyp.it/3jhutwqh
humblebundle.com/books/unreal-unity5-book-bundle
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Post progress, please

Help a idiot who's using gamemaker out

I'm trying to make it so my shop value changes from XXX,XXX,XXX to = X.X Billion when it's price hits that number in the shop. Here's my code for it;

>Command that displays the price
{
draw_text(500,275, "Cost: " + string(global.item_multiplier_price) +string(global.numbercount_shop));
}

>Code that swaps from numbers to Billion
{
if(global.item_multiplier_price >= 1000000000 && numbercount_shop = "")
{
global.item_multiplier_price = 1000000000/1000000000;
global.numbercount_shop = " Billion";
}
}

every time I open up my shop now I get this error;

FATAL ERROR in
action number 1
of Step Event0
for object object_multiplier_price:

Variable object_multiplier_price.numbercount_shop(100008, -2147483648) not set before reading it.
at gml_Object_object_multiplier_price_StepNormalEvent_1 (line 2) - if(global.item_multiplier_price >= 1000000000 && numbercount_shop = "")

what am I doing wrong here? I have the variable set with a create command when the game boots.

you forgot to put a global. before numbercount_shop

every fucking time it's one tiny piece of text i forgot

thanks user

>300x220
is this the actual resolution of your """""""""""""game""""""""""""""? cs_italy ripoff cuck.

Official /agdg/ notepad

etherpad.net/p/agdg

what is the best turn based combat you ever played?

sometimes, knowing what it is that you couldve done wrong is more important than knowing what to do right

FF7

meant for

battle worlds khronos
xcomeu
t. tbs hater

Frozen Synapse

IVAN

>volvo making a dota card game
rip the few TCG devs here

twitter.com/nickisnixed/status/895091539025698816/video/1

good. maybe they'll make a real game now

I like it, but I'd do a few tweaks:
Call it a "Reclaimer" rather than an "Attractor", the idea being that it collects fragmentation and spall of enemy mecha to repair systems. It naturally works better with kinetic weapons because they generate fragments, especially when hitting ablative armor. Additionally, to encourage aggression, don't have it leach-life directly; instead have sustained weapon fire generate debris/particle zones which are collected by the Reclaimer/Attractor system when you move or dash through it. If you wait too long, the debris cloud will settle and the Reclaimer/Attractor will not be able to collect materials. It might also be fun to have some kinetic weapons replenish ammunition the same way.

That way it rewards aggression and penalizes turtling (since you can't heal if you don't get in close), making it a pretty fast gameflow. I might recommend also including the option of a small gated shield for mechs, to cover you when you're moving in to attack/heal or to prevent 1-shotting by powerful enemy thermal weapons.

ssssss

Why the fuck can't I "get it"!? I am a fucking software engineer and I don't know how to fucking GAME DEV. I been doing this shit for YEARS and I still don't know how to fucking make the games I want. I FUCKING KNOW HOW TO DO ANYTHING THAT IS NOT GAME DEV WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON

Let me guess: you fell for the enginedev meme.

What's the enginedev meme? That game engines are overrated?

If you don't know such an entry-level meme here then why are you so worried about "not getting" gamedev? You never even fucking tried to learn so obviously you don't know shit.

Download an engine in the OP and read the manual, congratulations you now know gamedev.

enginedev means rolling out your own engine because you don't want to work with the existing ones
working with libraries like sfml is often somewhat inaccurately called enginedev because it's easier
enginedev is a meme because majority of people who fall for it don't progress much further than drawing a rotating rainbow rectangle on a window, let alone actually starting their own actual game

chances are you fell for this meme without even knowing about it

I haven't decided yet
It needs to be simple because I am simple but at the same time I don't want something like "art level 0-100"
The idea I came up with is giving the art entity qualities like modern, baroque, and having different actors have different likes and dislikes

using a library is enginedev
even using xna or monogame is enginedev

Added a bunch of options for enemy bullets, in case the player hates strobing or wants them pink CAVE bullets.

I couldn't really come up with a catch-all solution for the bullets yesterday, so why not toss in all my attempts into a menu?

Ooh, reminds me of Killer 7

>why not toss in all my attempts into a menu
Pretty smart honestly, nicely done.
I like the rainbow one.

You on the other hand won't

Fuck I don't want to work on my camera code today, but that's a lot of what's gonna hold up all my other shit.

How do all you guys handle terrain/occlusion avoidance?

That's a great suggestion, having to dash through debris to heal is infinitely more believable than some shitty energy ball flying towards you after you shot an enemy but imo it would be unfair for ranged lightweights who'd be forced to constantly get into situations that they are not made for or equip a shield they might not want to use.
Damn this is hard, I might even do a mixed version.

Also shields are already in as combat skills.

>monkey implying he ever had a game
^_^ silly

Depending on how you do it, the ranged lightweights have the advantage of taking less damage to begin with from distance/evasion.

Depending on how you want to play it, it could be they just have to rely on picking up from the last enemies in a group. They'll obviously get less healing from the other debris timing out, but they'd still be getting some. Even in a firefight they may be able to come out ahead from a risky strafe to heal before boosting back to (relatively) safe range.

chess

Has GMS2 added tabs to objects yet?

Never remove any already completed content, just move them around until appropriate.

That and more options never hurts. Hell, you can turn the backgrounds off if you really wanted to.

It'd be pretty cool if the shield reacted to incoming fire; like rippling or something.

>chess
>good

>people already know what I'm ripping off

Redpill me on godot

Are you going to post this every thread?
It will take you less than 1 minute to download and open the engine, just try it out yourself.

>chess
>not good
anyway the joke was that I don't like turn-based games much, I'll play chess and like one or two other board games and card games but I can't fathom why someone would put up with that shit without a friend to play with and talk to

Haven't been here in a while.
Is bokube dead yet?

I'm sure this varies greatly, but I'm a new developer still learning infact.
i have 2 questions.

1. is it worth it to make your own character/object models and how hard is it to do so?

2. in your opinions whats the best way to learn? I'm currently using the tutorials on the unity website.

>I require constant sharp stimulation or else I'll get BOREDDD :(

>he thinks everyone who does gamedev stalks this forum
>says I never tried when I been doing this for years
>I been using existing engines though

By setting all my games in deep space

Adding trees, trunks are in, just making them random heights now
Ill add leaves after :)

would like to get some simple ores in today as well, maybe just stone or something :)
it is nearly 4am though, so it'll probably be a tomorrow job

1. Varies depending on your goal and resources. Very hard, takes a few years of dilligence to become hirable.
Art: Practice from life for years
Coding: Books + practice, get the non gamedev bases before you tackle gamedev
Game design: Look at talks, copy other games, prototype a lot, make something you yourself enjoy even if it's simple
Music: Just hire someone

only if I'm playing a game by myself
otherwise why play a game instead of watching a video or listening to music or something?

>just hire someone
evry time

Oh i might have chance, my attempt at tree heights worked :)

applying random scale values to some cubes on the vertical axis?

Just be glad you won't have to type "this." every other line.

>global.item_multiplier_price = 1000000000/1000000000;
Question: Why do you divide a constant by itself?

Better heights :)

HoMM
Advance Wars

that tiny islet is way too small for golf

but what if there was a dozen of them? :)

Then it would be very unfun because 80% of the surface would be water.

what if there was boats? :)

Fight Music. clyp.it/3jhutwqh

its a golf game with everything except golf :)

they're multiplying :o
a boat doesn't fix the fact that your ball will fall in the water all the time

Just quickly testing path finding before I pass out at desk, no bugs seem to have popped up
Please excuse the lack of a head :)

Also a voxel terrain makes no sense for golf and you're better off calling the game something else already since you don't even want to make a golfing game anyway.

Randomizing wall faces on the fly so shit's a little more interesting to look at without having to blow so much time making separate models.

Please ignore the barfy colors!

thats some wack ass numerals

Valkyrie Profile

iktf
that's why i am hiring everyone to do everything

Sounds good, but I wouldn't call this fight music, more like, "before the battle" music. This one's too timid to consider it a combat tune.

Seems fine to me :)

actually add golfing mechanics and you will see how shittily it plays

sRPGs, and if that doesn't count, Valkyrie Profile.

Ok, but not tonight, it's going to be probably 5 am by the time I get ores in and I need some sleep :)

>Software engineer
>Can't pick up a random game library, open up the api docs, the getting started documentation, and have at it
More like shitgineer

reposting since I posted at end of last thread. New enemy progress

Tfw game is complete and is being reviewed by steam

I DID IT BOYS IM GOING TO MAKE IT BIG

my lawyers said it's best I don't include the name of the game here but look for an open world pirate game that has an endless sea where you can capture islands to hide your loot. You can board other ships, steal their treasures, hire their crew to become your crew (they are players), steal ships if not boarded, invade player islands, a forced trading interaction so people can't be hermits and NPCs that will bring people together.

I made it in the frostbyte engine so it will have awesome visuals and I hired some good modelers and artists.

What is the point of this post

What is the point of this post

humblebundle.com/books/unreal-unity5-book-bundle

is this worth buying or is it a bunch of shit books?

aaaannnddd bed time
night agdg :)

someone did and posted them here a few threads back

If tou mean code tabs, yes. You can set them to open in rhe same window or seperate ones.

buncha longfaced cunts oi

Legend of Legaia

This. There never was a game. Source is not a game engine. It's nodev terrorism tranny garbage. FUcking niggers!!

I have a music guy oddly enough.
I don't really plan on getting hired for this I just want to make games I enjoy.
I went to school for coding ill be just fine there.

I guess the game models thing is a bit disappointing. But anything worth doing is worth doing right yea?

Lets say I put in the time to make my own models, simple ones. are the animations for them very hard also?

added some shitty ui and started messing around with additional spells

for any of you making a multiplayer game; your players have to defeat a super-boss every time you make a patch for them to unlock the changes and new items, and the boss is really tricky and hard to kill and he's on a timer before he disappears and the entire fight has to start over

May I show this to my friends?

Patchnotes:
- Made patchboss actually beatable.

Hello all,

I need some advice tonight. Soon, I'm going to pour myself into one of the major sculpting programs (ZBrush or Mudbox or an alternative?) for some intensive hard surface modeling.

Can you give me any input on this decision?

I waffle back and forth. Mudbox seems to be easier to pick up and use but I'm very big on the ZSpheres functionality.

sure

Thanks, they're going to love this.

Are your friends lawyers?

I don't know yet. I have to wait 3-7 business days. So... check back in 3-7 business days.

make it happen