How to manual

Hi friends

I might be getting a car with a stickshift soon, and while I've driven stick before, I haven't for a long time and never as a daily driver.

how do avoid stalling and/or fucking up the engine? is engine braking on hills ok? any other tips?

Other urls found in this thread:

rnautosales.com/2001_Audi_TT_Sacramento_CA_16265452.veh#
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-audi-tt-18-turbo-low/6443786170.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-audi-tt-quattro-turbo/6466913092.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-audi-tt-quattro/6457365334.html
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/audi-tt-coupe-2003/6447178182.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>avoid stalling
If you've started from a stop before you've got the idea
>engine braking on hills a good idea
Why the fuck wouldn't it be?

Also you may want to learn how to double-clutch into first at slow speeds for heavy traffic.

Hmm, I've never heard about that and I'm not really getting it from reading about it.

Why can't I shift into first when moving? Because I'm going too fast? Wouldn't I just switch to second instead?

Many cars have an unsynchronized first gear. Double clutching makes shifting without syncros smoother.

It is called clutch plates are replaceable.
just ride the fuck out of the clutch until you get the feel of it, worst that will happen is you need to replace a few hundred dollars worth of parts and it take sfuck all time to do.

>Avoid stalling
You're gonna stall. No one doesn't stall at least once.

The gas and the clutch are levers, essentially. Imagine it like sinx^2 + cosx^2 = 1. You always want to achieve 1. Fully depressed clutch is 1, gas is 0 clutch is .999 gas is .001... etc.

You'll get it

The reason I use sinx^2 and cosx^2 is because 0

Also, it's lesser than or equal to, and greater than or equal to. For those autists.

Thanks friends, this is helpful

Is this fellow trolling me or am I gonna blow shit up?

The goal is to, in one smooth motion, simultaneously releasing the clutch and giving it gas in one smooth motion. It is hard at first, don't let anyone else tell you otherwise. In a couple of days, your starts and shifts will be much better.

This is going to burn the fuck out of your clutch and is not how it's supposed to be done.

Then how do you do it? You're aiming for smoothness.

And 50% throttle before the clutch even bites isn't smooth because by the time it catches you're going to fucking rocket forward. You only give it as much gas as you need to get moving, and you shouldn't be giving it any gas before the clutch bites which could be anywhere from right off the floor to nearly full extension of the pedal, otherwise you're just spinning the clutch disc. And giving it too much, which you are if you're going off your terrible equation, is going to burn it up or jerk you forward.

not trolling, just spitting out a controversial opinion among this community. personally i say don't be afraid to ride it a little bit when you're still learning but don't let it become a crutch. stalling is actually ok because it shows you're not revving the car too much

if you want an absolute guaranteed way of knowing you're not gonna stall the car, literally just rev it up to like 2k and slowly let out the clutch. it'll piss people off but whatever

You can get it into first while rolling by giving the gas a blip to get the rpms up a bit. When your rpms are where they need to be to match the speed you're going it will slip into first. Basically, jab the gas and lightly push into first (clutch pedal down) and it will go at the right rpm. Best to only do this below ~8 mph otherwise just use 2nd.

Every car is different. What works for your car may not work for another.

Synchros don't like it. How to double clutch:
Pedal in
Neutral
Pedal out
Blip gas
Pedal in
Into gear
Pedal out

Your throttle input spins up the input shaft to the required RPM for first. Test your top speed in 1st to know how slow you have to be going to not money-shift.

Exactly, so stop spouting shit that is going to damage the vast majority of cars. A clutch does not work the way you think it does.

bro this is fuckin Veeky Forums I can say whatever I want and some gullible fuck will eat it up

Thanks guys, this is helpful.

Also, no one responded to my other thread, does this look like a good buy?

rnautosales.com/2001_Audi_TT_Sacramento_CA_16265452.veh#

I really love TTs and this looks like it has everything I want.

pic

Best advice I have for you OP, once I figured this out I never had a problem again:
Find the point at which the clutch starts to bite and learn that spot. Put it in 1st and let out the clutch slowly until your rpms start to drop, then push in the clutch again. Just practice this a few times. I do this with every new car I drive because they are all different. Just learn that spot where it starts to engage and you can start to lift off the clutch quickly just until you get to that sweet spot, then you go more slowly.

To get moving in first, do the same thing but now once you notice the clutch just starting to bite, keep the clutch pedal there and give it a little dab from the gas pedal- don't worry about modulating the gas perfectly just give it a little blip. Focus more on the clutch. If rpms go too low you can push in the pedal a bit, quickly, to keep from killing the engine, but otherwise you want to just keep the pedal right at that point where the clutch is starting to bite but still slipping. You can blil the gas again if needed. The car should start moving forward. As it does, just let up on the clutch pedal in a quick but smooth motion. As soon as the clutch is fully engaged give it gas.

Seems pretty high to me. Old Audis aren't exactly renowned for reliability and that's like the first year of the TT isn't it? They weren't that expensive new either. I'd look on craigslist for more TTs and compare.

Same miles, 4 years newer, $1300 cheaper. First result I saw.
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2005-audi-tt-18-turbo-low/6443786170.html

>salvage title
OK maybe not a good example.
Next one:
Less than half the price, one year newer, only 115k miles.
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-audi-tt-quattro-turbo/6466913092.html

This looks super clean
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/2002-audi-tt-quattro/6457365334.html

Newer, less miles, cheaper
sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/d/audi-tt-coupe-2003/6447178182.html

Anyway if you want gay hairdresser's car just get a miata. You can get a nice ass miata for $7k. The TT is just a reskinned VW Beetle.