Pickem Uptrucks

Was up at the Detroit auto show on Saturday and since I am in the market for a truck, I decided to check out the lineups at the show. I'm looking at a half ton since the midsize trucks turned out to be a little too small for my taste.

Ford's lineup was trash. All this ecoboost shilling means you have to pay a pretty penny for a veeate so fuck Ford.

The Rams were surprisingly nice especially in the Laramie trim but I worry about buying an FCA product.

GMC is just too expensive.

The Silverado was rather nice and seemed pretty well equipped for the price.

The Tundra was a little pricey but otherwise good.

Anyone have any thoughts on new-ish half tons?

Buy a used high country

chevy driveline and electronics are the least gimpy out of all domestic trucks, FCA's transmissions and electronics like to shit themselves, and ford put a turbo v6 in a fucking truck
tundras are alright but I can't speak to their quality

At least from what I saw at the show, the Tundra was the most car-y of them all. I'd never been in one and the interior felt like a giant Camry.

That's not necessarily a bad thing but it sure didn't feel like a truck.

>Ford's lineup was trash. All this ecoboost shilling means you have to pay a pretty penny for a veeate so fuck Ford.
the ecoboost costs more than the v8 you dummy dumb dumb dumb idiot

The 3.5 Ecobutt is the top engine in the lineup.

The v8 is more expensive than the two shittier v6s

Tundra or GTFO

Is a Tundra really worth the Toyota tax over a Silverado?

EcoBoost and the Coyote are about equal. Ecoboosts for towing, 5.0 for DD

Rams use the ZF8 speed that most of the german cars use. Fairly reliable from what i’ve seen so far. I’ve only seen the uconnect system glitch on startup and show a different brand logo, like chrysler instead of ram, not much else electronics wise goes wrong

>shitty unreliable grenade for towing
>shitty 5.slow for dd
Good ol’ ferd

Look at it this way, OP
Ford's strengths are chassis, cabin, and reasonably good engines. They are usually priced the best considering what you get. Their weak points are the transmission, and usually outpowered by another brand's engine, not to say the engine is weak, its just the most powerful.
GM's have strong transmissions, meh chassis and interior, and good engines. Their weak points are being priced a bit higher, but lower on overall durability. Enjoy the 20 year old interior.
Dodges have the best deisel engines, and reasonably good everything else, but their styling, chassis, and interiors are usually regarded as the worst.
Toyota and nissan half ton trucks are good overall, but don't excel at anything. Toyotas will be known for good reliability/durability, but often out-classed in every other category.

All trucks are going to have their strengths, and all trucks will have weaknesses and problems. Don't worry yourself so much about which is "best" because there just isn't one. If you're stressing over the "limits" of your 1/2-ton, you should purchase a 3/4 ton. If thats too much truck, you should get a 1/2 ton and forget about the "best".

You should really explain to Veeky Forums what you intend on using it for; if its a truck to have a truck and you'll be using it as a DD, get a ford with the Eco-boost, same power as a V8, better gas mileage, every other aspect is inconsequential because its a commuter car at that point. Enjoy all the requests to help people move.

Yes, it's worth not having AFM shit destroying the engine.

I own a couple of rental properties and will be transitioning into real estate development full time. I don't plan on doing major renovations myself but for the time being I will be hauling around some building materials, tools, etc.

I certainly don't need the towing capacity of a 3/4 ton but I also am not looking for a mall crawler so things like leather, nav, and short beds don't really hold any appeal.

As for FCA, I know they have great diesels but again since I won't regularly be pulling trailers, I feel I can get away with a gasser.

>I don't plan on doing major renovations myself but for the time being I will be hauling around some building materials, tools, etc
You basically want an inexpensive truck with a medium to long bed, extra-cab, and good on gas. What you just described puts the heaviest load at some bricks for landscaping, otherwise 200 pounds of regular equipment which any vehicle can do. But with home repairs sometimes that includes a door.

Literally any truck will do fine, and to buy a new truck is just spending money to say you have new, which doesn't make sense. Also, brand new trucks don't come in a spartan poor-man trim anymore. Auto manufacturers know people are more likely to pay for luxury stuff when their payments per month are relatively affordable. $500 per month for 60+ months is whats normal for some reason; theres no point in any of the big4 manufacturers to make a $22k truck anymore. They only profit a few thousand from that versus $15k from a fully loaded truck.

The Tundra has the best ride. Tight turning circle, quiet on the road, the most car-like ride and it will still tow over 10k lbs. without any problem. That 5.7l is a gem. It's also probably the most reliable of them all. I own a 2012.
The Silverados are nice too. They are pricey but see what offers they have going on. I just bought (6 months ago) a new 2016 model GMC 2500 pretty well optioned out for 33k. It was 9k off sticker price.
I don't like the Ford. Had a super duty, not a fan. The Ram looks like a good truck but I wouldn't want to own one.

Chevy if you want soild aftermarket and cheap replacement parts
Ford if you like the newest toys
GMC if you hate yourself
Honda if you need a car with some space in the back
Toyota if you want it to run forever and cost to much
Maybe Nissan? There new Cummins looks pretty cool and it's reasonably priced compared to dodge, maybe take a look at that as well?

>egoboost for towing
Then why can it do 62 mph in 1st gear? Why do NONE of the Fords come with a limited slip (which is standard on the 4x4 Tundra and Silverado/ Sierra).
Ford is decades behind the competition. Their suspension setup and geometry is still from the Model T. Ford still had leaf springs in the front until the early 2000s and they still have a solid front axle.

The used truck market is ridiculous in some areas. You pretty much may as well go new if you can get a good deal. A lot of the old trucks are beat to hell and people want too much for them.

>Also, brand new trucks don't come in a spartan poor-man trim anymore.

uhh yes they do. The Silverado comes in WT which has almost nothing. The tradesman is pretty plain too. You can get a third world spec colorado for $20k or a Silverado 4x4 with a V8 for $30k ish. Yuu can special order trucks ya know. You don't have to buy the mall crawler spec "xxmonsterxxlongantlerxx" edition sitting on the lot.

>Limited slip
>on a 4x4
Gee whiz, that's awesome grandpa
Having all your torque at low rpm is exactly why it's good for towing

I'm definitely not looking at a new truck. I'm looking to spend about 25k on a 2-3 year old truck with hopefully less than 50k miles.

>limited slip in a 4x4 isn't useful

chevy interior ftw.

wtf are you talking about lol.

It isn't you fucking mong. Electronic locking diffs are better.

its still better than an open diff

>>>Goalposts>>>

Agreed. I found the Silverado's interior to be just fine.

Again I'm not trying to get a SuperEcoLariatDoubleFordGTCab interior and both the Chebby and the Ram did just fine

i just said that they have a use, how am I moving the goalposts anywhere by saying a lsd is better than an open diff?

Ford's 4x4 come with electronic locking diffs.

I bought a new 2015 Sierra and I've been really happy with it. I'll probably end up with another GM truck at some point

What do you need the v8 for? I'm genuinely curious if you even know.

I was thinking about getting a new regular cab 1 ton base model truck. I'm not digging Ford. Used to like GM, and I guess I don't have anything against them, but I don't like the styling too much. The sad thing is that in 2014 Ram probably had the ugliest HD, and now it's probably the best looking, and it's a shame because I don't think I'd buy an FCA product. Funny how the smallest of the big three has so many horror stories.

Well I wanted the extra size from a half ton as opposed to a mid size truck and I figured if I got a full size truck, I might as well pair it with the V8 just in case I need to tow stuff

just about fucking time the Tundra got rid of all that pig fat and went back to look more like a fitst gen

tfw only new production manual transmission left is ram

can you still get the medium duty trucks in manuels?

I know a guy that swears by his tundra, plus they are made in Texas. They are the most basic type of truck anymore

I'm my experience with the Ecoboost v6 it got worse gas mileage than a Chevy 5.3 V8. The ford only got better mpg if you drove like a grandma.

I wish gm still had solid axle front ends. Less shit to deal with when it breaks, and it's better off road

I would still get the 5.0, but the ecoboost has direct injection now, so the carbon issues are a thing of the past now.

chebby colorado, but only with the i4
and it looks like tacoma, but only if you want crew cab + short bed (?????)

may be different outside of burgerland

No i meant medium duty trucks like the F450s and 550s. I figured you could probably get those with a stick but idk

ah I tell a lie, you can get 2018 tacoma with extended cab + long bed + manual, I feel slightly better now

though, really, if you're getting a trucc, might as well get a full-size for actual hauling and use a cheap beater civic for dd

o i c

no not as far as I can tell

Easy. Titan XD.

Larger than a normal half ton, Cummings diesel + Aisin combo (same tranny out of the RAM 3500), great warranty, and very affordable. It's easy to find some with $15k knocked off the price tag.

I'll be picking one up in the next few months, I test drive one and really liked it. And sure, it has a lower '''towing rating''', but the XD will out tow any half ton and do it a lot safer, too. MPG is about 15-18 combined, I believe.

Cummins*, fuck autocorrect

40k+ is hard to stomach for a mid sized truck with a meh interior, I'd still but it tho.
Ugly as shit with that jew nose on the front. New Cummins aren't as great as pre emissions versions either

The argument was that it was improvement compared to an open diff Ford.

You're the one moving the goalposts.

Worst depreciation in the industry because they are shit. Cummins isn't magic.

Looks are subjective, I think they look at lot like the old style F150, which is pretty good. The 5.0 Cummins so far actually has a really good track record, and it comes with a 100k mile warranty. Literally the best new half ton truck you can buy for the price.

No, but if you don't think Cummins makes a better engine than Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, you may actually have some autism and may want to get that checked out. You can get benefits and shit I've heard from the government, if you're into that sort of thing.

Depends on what you want. If you are fine with less power, less capability, and worse fuel economy, the Tundra has the best build quality.

The GM trucks and the Tundra are the two best options on the market right now, which you should choose depends on your priorities.

Ford is a not-so-distant third place.

Low trim Chebbi with the 4.3 V6 is probably the best bet for those requirements, but you could always spend more money for more truck if you want.

You're buying into hype, the Cummins 6.7 isn't nearly as good as the 5.9 was. I'd choose a 5.9 over a Detroit or Ford 7.3, if I all I cared about was durability, but I'd take a
over a 6.7 Cummins, and the common rail switch in the 4 cyl Cummins motors ruined them as well, I'd go John Deere over Cummins in an industrial application in a moment.

The Duramax is the current gold standard in cost of ownership for a one ton diesel PU right now, and I'd absolutely trust Duramax over Cummins for a small diesel as well.

>I all I cared about was durability, but I'd take a
>over a 6.7 Cummins,
If all I cared about was durability, but I'd take a Duramax over a 6.7 Cummins

The 3/4 ton and 1 ton engines are honestly all the same at this point for reliability, I'm comparing the 5.0 ISV Cummins to the Ford, Chevy, and Dodge half ton motors. There's just no comparison, it blows all of them away. It's the best 'half ton' engine available right now.

>Nissan truck

Hard no man

>40k+ is hard to stomach for a mid sized truck with a meh interior,
God damn I know.

> I'd still but it tho.
shit, I'm not sure I would. for not that much more you could get a base trim dodge 2500 diesel with a stick.

Not even close. The NA gassers from Toyota, Chevy, and Ford will have longer lifespans and every gasser on the market, except maybe the highest strung tunes on the EBs, will have a lower cost of ownership.

The 5.0 Cummins has two purposes, letting Nissan attract brand whores and giving Nissan a drivetrain with adequate performance under tow weights above 10,000 lbs, without necessitating gearing low enough to ruin the fuel economy unloaded.

So your saying that a 5.7 gasoline, NA engine will be happier towing 12k than a 5.0L V8 turbo diesel? Come on. How about Ford's 5.0L V8, with a aluminum block. Oh I'm sure that will get great MPG and last forever towing 10k frequently. And sure you can say 'get a 3/4 ton' at that point, but that's where the XD fits in perfectly. It will handle the upper-end towing limits of the half ton class a lot better than the rest of the half tons, but not the insane cost of a 3/4 ton diesel.

If you bought a XD and eventually deleted it (after warranty is over, of course) it would definitely last a lot longer than any gasser from the big 3, exception MAYBE being the Ford 6.2l, but you cannot get that in a F150 anymore because Ford became retardedly obsessed with MPG. I know Ford and Chevy use an aluminum block for their engines, which isn't even close to the durability of CGI.

My problem with Cummins, and diesels in general, is they may last 300k+ but it's 10k+ to rebuild them. You could literally buy two gassers for that price. And diesel is more expensive, plus def.

>show a different brand logo, like chrysler instead of ram

Not a glitch, just telling you what you really bought lol

>Having all your torque at low rpm is exactly why it's good for towing

Not when your gears are too tall.

The gearing is fine, have you ever towed with one?

>ctrl+f brat
>0 hits

Anything but Nissans, the Titans are pieces of crap with no resale value.

Believing in a diff between chebby and GMC.

Lol

There os a reason why they knock so much off, no matter what price, the buyer ends up the loser.

Bratwurst

You happy now?

welcome to leafland

What til a good deal on the Silverado. The 5.0 Ford's are bad ass tho. Ram with the Mopar is good. Tundras never go on sale but I hear they're nice.

the fuck are you on about? here in rural Lolntario you can find sub $2k trucks working perfectly with a cap on and even a set of winter tires. Granted they won't be newer than 2005 but they'll be drivable

It's fucked in Alberta, The rust here is way worse. It's almost impossible to find a 2000's or older truck in running condition. Most are at the point of needing a engine or tranny rebuild which isn't really worth doing on a rusty frame and body.

Good luck getting one of those trucks through your guy's nazi like inspections.

The Cummins is going to need at least two injector pumps before any of those gas motors need rebuilds and I can buy a new gas V8 for less money than that, never mind getting a rebuild.

And absolutely any of the NA gas V8s will be perfectly comfortable towing 11,000 lbs, compare their power curves to the diesels and big blocks of yore. The reason the Nissan LOL needs that Cummins isn't because the 5.6 doesn't have the power to tow, the Nissan needs the Cummins for prestige because no one takes their shit truck seriously. And they shouldn't, Nissan had to cross the 3/4 ton threshold to build a chassis that still can't out tow an F150 (best configuration for Titan XD tows 12,640, best configuration for F150 tows 13,330).

I manage a fleet of over 60 service trucks, mostly half tons, but with 15 3/4 tons and 7 5/4 tons. For 80% of use cases, the trucks that cost us the least and spend the least time in the shop are naturally aspirated gas V8s. Unless you're pulling 6 tons plus every day or putting on 60,000+ miles a year, there's no advantage to an iron block diesel at stock power level.

We buy Fords and Chevies, the fact of the matter is that there isn't much difference between them (and you've gotta buy both, a Chevy in the hands of a Chevy fan will be more reliable than a Ford and vice versa :| Rams are not close enough to mean for this to work).

I've tried Nissans and Toyotas, I liked the Toyotas a lot, but the dealers took a day longer, on average, to perform any work we needed, and that costs way more than any slight reliability savings. The Nissans were shit. Most downtime, worst dealer support, shortest lifespans.

>The Silverado was rather nice and seemed pretty well equipped for the price.

This is precisely why i bought a Silverado in 2014. It was much nicer than the 2014 F150 and it was even cheaper.

Wait for the 2019 Silverado coming out this fall. Gorgeous.

It's a shame Rams have developed such a reputation. I was playing around with the B&P sites for Ford, Chevy, and Ram, and I like the looks and options I was able to build into the Ram for 3.5K less than the other two. Pic related is coming up as 33,020 USD for a one ton truck. 5.7L, upgraded alternator, upfitter electronics prep, and a premium paint color. I probably wouldn't buy it, though, because of quality concerns.

Why do you think it's cheaper than the other two...

I've heard of people getting a straight up new truck because the one they bought was fucked beyond belief. It's pretty rare for a manufacturer to do that. Not good. They're not bad if you lease them or dump it after 2-4 years.

What is a 5/4 ton. A dually?

Dually, narrow track, chassis cab, true medium duty.

F450, etc

I like my 2016 Silverado.

Basic ass NA engine that makes enough power. The engine bay isn't filled to the brim with hoses and shit like a Ford. Column shift lever. 7/10 unobtrusive infotainment system. Tall truck-like seating position. Nearly lifted height stock.

The tires from the factory are too small and suck dick. The design of the front end doesn't really leave much tasteful aftermarket possibilities.

Offtopic post
Drivers side suspension is squeaking like hell. Putting weight on it makes it squeak going up and down. Been kinda cold to get under and pinpoint exactly where it's coming from, could use advise on what to check for to make it quick as possible. 03 sierra 2wd, probably control arm bushings?

It's the same in the US

Get some spray lube at autozone. Its safe on rubber and the can is about 89 cents

>Pickem Uptrucks
That's a fucking retarded way of saying Ute.