CALLING ALL /K/OMMAND/O/S

Definitely a /k/ommand/o/ type of situation

>preemptive TL;DR painting vehicle like a Mitsubishi Zero, want help with markings and interior design shit like seats for historical accuracy

I'm getting an '84 Honda CRX as a runabout while I B18 swap my '84 Civic for Drag Week, and because it's a $250 shitbox, I'm not looking to spend a lot on paint. So, rattle can matte paint it is.

But I want to indulge my inner 12 year old, and paint it as closely to the A6M2 Saburo Sakai (nigga who took a bullet from a Hellcat to the skull and lived to tell the tale) as I can. That means markings, paint colors, proper kanji, making stencils, etc.

Pic basically related. What I have, want I want to base the paint after.

Other urls found in this thread:

j-aircraft.com/research/lansd-77.htm
aviationofjapan.com/2010/02/aotake-part-one.html
colesaircraft.blogspot.com/2014/01/japanese-wwii-aircraft-aotake-primer.html
youtube.com/watch?v=gD2TGptvuWA
youtube.com/watch?v=H9l8CsKP0SY
m.newasiantv.io/movie/the-eternal-zero.92.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Now, Mitsubishi A6M2, serial number 3647, tail number V-103, was shot down in August/September of '42, and not discovered and recovered till '93. It was one of many planes Sakai flew, but it happens to be the one that has the closest paint color to Rustoleum Camouflage spray paint, specifically their Olive color.

I'm going with a matte finish since it doesn't show streaks and paint lines when done properly, and will hide a lot of small dings and dents.

So a side by side comparison of V-103's rendering by Dave Douglas (which he based on recovered body panels found on Guadalcanal) and the Rustoleum looks like this.

but there is one other paint option I've found; Brownells sells the Aervoe line of camo spray paints for AR's and such, and they have a color called "Field Drab", and it looks like it miiiiight work better for accuracy sake, maybe. What do you all think? Go for the Rustoleum camo olive, or the Field Drab?

Rustoleum is like $4 a can, Aervoe is like $6; not a big deal.

we don't care you weebshit

why are you painting a honda like a mitsubishi, instead of a mitsubishi like a mitsubishi

I just realized that the paint color was matched to Federal Standard FS-26350 paint, pic related. I almost feel like, side by side, the Rustoleum may beat out the Aervoe for best tone matching

>citation is here: j-aircraft.com/research/lansd-77.htm

Because I need to paint this $250 car, and I figure I might as well do something fun while I'm at it. Also, who the fuck wants to drive a $250 Mitsubishi, or any Mitsubishi for that matter

(also the A6M2 wasn't designed by Mitsubishi, but the principal contract was awarded to them; there were three manufacturers, one of which was Nakajima, which was later absorbed by Nissan, so.... technically Nissan has just as much of a right to getting a car painted this color. It's all just names brah

and one more marking question time: This fuselage marking was on the plane, and is painted here (the black markings on the right). I'm wanting to vector this image to get something fairly clear so I can blow it up and cut it out to be a stencil, buuuuuut it's sort of a bitch. Anybody know how to vector?

just do it m8

pick the best option and just go with it. a few shades darker/lighter is going to make FUCK all of a difference once its on your car.

You better post the finished product many times or I will continue to fiero with a body kit post on /k/

true, but I figure why not get it right the first time, ya know? Especially since I intend to paint the stripped interior as well (interior is shot to shit on this thing, no chance in hell of it not being stripped of everything but a seat and a floor mat)

trust me, I will. It's too cold, wet and windy in northern California right now, so it might have to wait a month or two, but that means it's time to plan things out.

Like, for instance, what interior accents I can use from the original A6M and the CRX. Gauges, colors, other bits, the seat, etc. Gonna try to find stuff that looks like it might fit the part. Seats are gonna be the hardest part for sure.

ordered a can of this, gonna see how it pans out. I have some test pieces in mind.

Why are tripfags always so autistic and cancerous. Just paint your fucking car and post it when its done so we can laugh at you. No need to blog we would all rather just see the punchline.

I disagree, interesting how that works, innit?

No need to take off your trip L24

Why do you NEED to paint this car. It's a shitbox. It looks like a shitbox.

Dude, Nakajima became Fuji Heavy Industries. Aka. Subaru. Had my Lil car not been this sexy Orange, I'd love to paint it green and red. The Navy version of your Mitsubishi

shit, you're right, but I knew I was partially right at least, so I went and consulted my 240Z and Nissan history book.

In 1951, Nissan acquired NIkkoku Industries, Ltd (formerly known as Nippon Kokusai Koku Kogyo K.K, and aircraft and aircraft component manufacturer in Hiratsuka, Kanagawa, and another location in Okubo, Kyoto).

So, I was right on my idea that there was an aircraft company that was absorbed by Nissan, but I got the wrong one. My fuck up, sorry about that.

But dude, where the hell are you in Cali? I hope you're close to Sacramento, because I want to see that thing in person! That thing looks killer.

be careful with that bad luck club sticker user, would hate to see this beauty get hurt

retard

this is retarded and also cool as fuck. I fully approve

4 fun

Oh yeah, forgot to reply to you: because I don't want to look like the absolute definition of abject poverty. Regular poverty is fine, thank you

wrap it, user

the last important paint color: the Aotake

To quote one of the sources below, "This strikingly bright coating was developed as a corrosion preventative in the early 1930s for use in the aeronautical industry, and it is technically one of a family of zabon enamel coatings"

But what it gives you is pic related

>seriously read about this stuff, it's fucking cool as shit and would look killer on an AR or something

>aviationofjapan.com/2010/02/aotake-part-one.html

>colesaircraft.blogspot.com/2014/01/japanese-wwii-aircraft-aotake-primer.html

It came in two colors, green, and blue, with a yellowish one sometimes seen as well

Now, Aotake on it's own isn't colored at all, but bright colored dyes were added to make surface inspection for leaks, damage, bullet holes etc a snap.

....and as such, I'm looking for a paint to use in the engine bay to simulate it and be useful, and so far the two options I have are:

1. Dupli-Color Metalcast Paint Green Anodized (no metal flake in it, just like real Aotake)

2. Rustoleum Cobalt Blue Metallic (I kinda want a color to pop out of it, and the green while shiny is a little too.... ricey, I feel like)

Vote and help me out y'all!

here's a shot of the Cobalt Blue in sunlight

and here's a photo of that anodized green.

Initial impression, I think I might go with the green since it's not crazy far from the Aotake, and it's non-metallic, like Aotake. The blue being metallic is nothing like Aotake, although it looks nice.

HOLD THE FUCKING PHONE FOLKS ANOTHER CONTENDER HAS ENTERED THE RING

This color is the Duplicolor Anodized Blue from the same line as the green, but it looks pretty damn nice on this wheel here.

So, what about this?

That looks hideous, don't paint the wheels a funky color, paint the engine bay a green like in this

not related at all, but I was wondering where you get parts for this?

I'm a desperate EA81fag.

Aight that's what I'm gonna do then. Green it is

nice job fucking up the roof with that stupid meme rack

Jesus fucking christ, I just watched a documentary with Saburo Sakai in it. Is this destiny? or net stalking? or just pure coincidence?

Anyway, awsome project.

>Salty someone uses their car for moving things like, ya know, a car

It's also a non-permanent rack, so who gives a fuck

Which documentary user? I'd love to watch it.

Show Down Air Combat

youtube.com/watch?v=gD2TGptvuWA

Danke boi

why don't you start with a fast car like a mustang

Dude, the 89 Civic SI is like THE fastest car in it's category.

Dont you even autocross?

Is this a quote from a FnF movie or something?

it's just got more power and stuff, wouldn't it be better to paint a good car?

Eh, the EF civic is heavy as shit compared to the first gen. They got like 400lbs fatter.

I live in So. Cal.
I posted a while back, some bitch Hit and Run damaged my driver side quarter. Before the sticker.
Rockauto.com has decent amount. But most parts from 72' to 94' on most EA engines are interchangeable.

A6M Zero has a low power engine anyway
part of why they made the aircraft so light was to get hectic mpgs

EFs may be heavier but they have the advantage of having double a-arm front end, 4 link IRS, are lower, and have much easier/better engine and trans swapping capabilities. They're pretty god tier for fwd cars, although I prefer EG as theyre the lowest factory civic

>That wheel stickout

Fully hektic

Shit was insane, it had a 1,900 mile range and could fly for over 10 hours straight

ended up not being able to find an English version of this, so I just watched this kek

youtube.com/watch?v=H9l8CsKP0SY

Here is a possible paint scheme for you.

need some kanji and maybe a little tweaking and you have a pretty sick paintjob, its not even obnoxious to my surprise

Sugoi

HOW THE FUCK DID YOU DO THAT

Hey, could you make the rising sun emblem closer to the center of the door and a bit larger? That'd be basically EXACTLY what I'm planning to do.

Just holy shit dude, that is so damn cool.

While not technically Veeky Forums related, it's very much related to this thread.

I'm watching "The Eternal Zero" with English subs. Very well done movie. Hard as shit to find with the Japanese audio and English subs though

Bump for the Photoshop dude to see this thread again

Link faggot

Literally fucking kill yourself you massive faggot.

>>>/facebook/

Here ya go

m.newasiantv.io/movie/the-eternal-zero.92.html

Ask and you shall receive.

That's dank as shit senpai.

Hey, what's the kanji down there?

"Japanese Navy" in moonscript.

Can you read moon tunes?

If so, can you somehow find a way to incorporate some of the numbers or markings from the original data plate from this plane? I can't read it so I'm not 100% sure which line is which, but I intend to somehow stencil this on the sides if I can.

Now we just need some euro user to buy an old Uno and paint it up like a Fiat G.50

/r/ing a queerstang dressed up like a mustang

>not the D model

Just for you

speak of the fucking devil I was reading about that last night. What an interesting paint scheme on an interesting plane.

this is more tasteful than I feel like

thats just obnoxious and kinda cringe desu

Well I'm quite happy with how the test piece came out. I want a more matte red spray paint, but besides that it's go time I think.

Cheers to you good sir, may your drifts go well and your efforts not go in vain.