Why the fuck didn't it sell?

Why the fuck didn't it sell?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QfJjH4oZDTA
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/
m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/378761-milestone-300-000-mile-2002-m5-2.html
youtube.com/watch?v=K8h-hZouHZk
drvanos.com/index.php/e39-m5-vanos
twitter.com/AnonBabble

too expensive.

They should have released a base model without all the tech shit.

its a 50 grand malibu? or that they only advertised it to nascar fants.

for 50k people want looks. chevy could make the next corvette with a 150hp ecotec and people would still buy them.

Hey user, guess what, most people WANT tech shit

Merigans are cucks

Ugly, low quality, and overpriced

>overpriced
>Didn't advertise
>looks like a Malibu

Seriously, would've sold better if it costed sub $40k and didn't look like a family sedan. Not to mention the damned thing only came with in auto in the first year.

I've actually spent alot of time thinking about it and I think I've found an answer.

In the old world, executive cars are there for bosses and CEOs to show up in. Showing up in an S Class or equivalent is probably expected for many European, Chinese, and Middle Eastern higher-ups. In the United States, however, showing up in a Mustang, a Camaro, or often even a truck is considered just fine. It's still an impressive car even if it isn't as classy, because Americans view cars differently.

Another analogy would be Hawaiian formal wear, which is often just plain Hawaiian shirt. Not the kind you can get at a tourist trap, but still Hawaiian shirt, with front pockets and floral designs. A sports car in America is a Hawaiian shirt in Hawaii. Professional here, a joke to take to a business meeting everywhere else.

Why buy an SS, which most people think is just a boring sedan, when you can get a GT350 that's faster, commands more respect, and is American built?

>didn't look like a family sedan
HUURRRRDUUURRRR SEPPO IT IS A FAMILY SEDAN THATS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE CAR. ITS A COMMODORE

Would the HSV have sold better in America?
I don't get their issue with he looks though. The normal VF SSV looks fucking nice in person

>muh price

45k for a big nice V8 with a manual and the best suspension on the market and self parking tech isn't a lot at all.

also LOOOOOOOOOOL I was looking thru the comments on doug's video and people had the gull to claim it should have been 25k. and that's why BMW builds more more SUVs and FWD cars, because you auto ''enthusiasts'' are worthless retards and don't even buy cars new anyway?

>would an even more expensive version of an unpopular car have sold better?
no, then there's just even more better cars you could get for the money.

no you couldn't tard this was a better e39 m5 by all reviews

no one wants to buy a shitty chevy

i want a shitty chevy senpai

sadly eurocuck ;_;

>people thought a 6.2L full sized sedan is only worth $32k AUD
Are they brain dead?
It's not a chevy

Yea you could. Mustangs, Camaros, and even base Corvettes. you over estimate how much people care about 4-doors. stangs are especially popular as fuck right now and anyone who has the cash to drop on a car like that would rather go for one of those, even aussies themselves fall into this category.

>Are they brain dead?
no they're auto enthusiasts, aka retards who just wanna complain

BTW I didn't know australian dollarus had better value than USA dollarus. LOOOOOL america you are so BTFO'd

but corvette is starting at 55k. and mustang and camaro are shit compared to the chevy SS unless you buy one of those 80k super trims

I think you're a bit brain dead

>but corvette is starting at 55k
and how much do you think an HSV is going to start at? and you can find endless C7s for way less than that with not many miles due to over-production and incentives.
>mustang and camaro are shit compared to the chevy SS unless you buy one of those 80k super trims
a V6 Camaro alone handles better than a commodore so i don't know what you're talking about.

t. retard auto enthusiast
>comparing used to new
no
>muh benchracing
no

camaro is a shitty piece of shit regardless of how fast it goes around a track

fuck off doug

Yeah but try fitting your wife, 3 mistresses and 2 dead kangaroos in the camaro cunt

>25K USD == 32k AUD
> I didn't know australian dollarus had better value than USA dollarus. LOOOOOL america you are so BTFO'd
hurr durr

t. butthurtistan ameristan

fatty lol

>>comparing used to new
Sorry, most buyers will because the Zeta is old and doesn't perform like new offerings so that's just one more thing its competing with, all the new cars and everything you could get used that just as fast and fits their needs.

>camaro is a shitty piece of shit regardless of how fast it goes around a track
That's not what buyers are going to think when they're the ones who have to spend over 30k on a car and that's why it struggled here, the Camaro is doing well even in Europe.

you genuinely believe SS didn't sell because of muh track times?
also camaro sells cuz it's the most ''sporty'' looking piece of shit people can buy in the price range, even in europe, and they're tired of shitty quality BMWs

The VE and VF platforms development were cucked by the GFC, when money was drawn away from Aussie built vehicles after the bailouts, the fact that they still ended up so great was a feat of engineering, RIP Aussie car manufacturing and fuck you amerifats

The more you post, the stupider you sound. Have a good think about what you posted

t. butthurtistan ameristan

>you genuinely believe SS didn't sell because of muh track times?
No, it didn't sell well because there are much better and cheaper cars you can get. Mustang, Camaro, and that HSV would be reaching into base corvette territory. let's say the Commodore was faster than all its potential rivals, the Mustang is a huge fucking hit so people are going to buy even the 4 cylinder convertibles whenever they get the chance and they are even in AUS. you are basically an Indy-band trying to sell more CDs than fucking Taylor Swift it just isn't going to happen on top of how many hit songs you can get for what your band is charging for their CDs. there are so many popular cars out that people would be going for if they had Commodore money.

so people are retarded and don't want quality? that's what I was saying all along.

If they wanted quality Lexus can also be found cheaper used than a Commodore so that's yet another car that's better at what you're trying to sell on for less which is what I've been saying all along.

>a bigger number means it's worth more

>again comparing used to new
just doesn't work buddy.

and how is a fucking piece of shit mustang/camaro better at what I'm trying to sell, exactly? fairly sure you need a zl1 for magnetic ride control and you have to pay extra up the ass. and mustang doesn't even have it duh.

More lesser trims are sold than the top trims. Learn the market first.

irrelevant because you need to shell out 120k for the kind of tech the SS offered in other brands. and you get a piece of shit mercedes with inferior suspension taht never works either

also how many v8 manual sedans does lexus offer huhuhuhhuh?

>>again comparing used to new
again, if the commodore could offer something its new competition doesn't it wouldn't be a problem. Magnetic ride control comes on SS Camaros. better fuel economy is another selling point of the stang and maro.
We were talking about quality as a selling point and those looking for it will place that as a number one priority over V8 or manual.

GM didn't want it to sell because it was a dead end so it wasn't marketed at all.

I'm surprised they even sold it in the first place desu.

>muh new
your used cars don't park themselves though. also comparing used to new is retarded. if you want used you can already get a used SS and it will hold value better than your piece of shit camaro. but this comparison is moot because comparing used to new is retarded
>We were talking about quality as a selling point and those looking for it will place that as a number one priority over V8 or manual.
and they definitely wont buy a camaro. plus people looking for quality often times just believe marketing and buy a POS mercedes

its a wonder those australian shit posters have not derailed this thread yet...... mr falcunt...
soy stanley and that madonna man..

buy a truck stupid cunts.

>your used cars don't park themselves though.
there are used Lexus sedans that are cheaper and park themselves. large cars are avoided by people who don't want to park them naturally. Lexus holds value as good as it gets unless you go shelby GT350 which is the cheapest car you could buy that is the most likely to appreciate (or a civic type R). People who want quality aren't going to buy "CHevy" or any low-end badge associated with bargain offerings.

We've covered the topic alot but basically from a aussies perspective is thus

>Unions fuck up the workforce and make jobs that used to stay competitive with usa/asia whathaveyou cost the govt and automakers 50-100k+ per person
>Making cars here where no longer viable since nobody wanted to pay 5-15k+ more for a domestic car when overseas jdm and other imports where much more affordable and honestly more reliable.
Holdens, Fords and basically every other car as well as the amc/valiants all devalued like crap unless you have the HSV/FPV (Inhouse performance tuning shops that add a bit of value offshot from hdt and tickford back in the 80-00's

ANYWAY back on topic

>so with the unions fucking everything up around 10-17 years ago everyone drops the AU-BA and VE like hot shit and starts buying lots of toyotas etc
>Holden and ford see this and ford exited early in 2015
>Holden lumbered on till last year because of contractual obligations to export x amount of cars until late last year
In short the Falcon platform was good, the engines especially the 2nd gen intec and barras where great reliable donks.

Sadly the rest of the car fell down around it especially brakes and driveline.

Holdens well only the 6.2's held their value everything else got skidded into oblivion
fuck off mate

chevy a shit

>15 years of technological advancements
>still couldn't beat the e39 m5
why is bmw so great?

according to C&D the SS is better than that piece of shit

>>blaming unions for companies that only built one car domestically and got btfo when that 1 car failed and they had no domestic makes to balance it out.
The Commodore was a car popular in the market when it was released because thats what people wanted back then , coming into the 2000s and just giving a car AC and extra tech, doesn't mean people will buy it, Holden/Ford could have fucked off the commodore/falcon and built an Suv Soccormoms and normie buyers actually wanted.

Because it looks like a Chevy Cruze!

it looked like all the other family sedans they sold so normies obviously picked the cheapest one (not this one) assuming they were the same. The only people who like these or even know of them are Veeky Forums tists

Veeky Forumstists don't like them cuz they're not 10k new

>that piece of shit
>literally the car that inspired the SS
>literally the only car the SS is compared to
So much salt
roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-comparison-tests/a25248/the-comparison-2003-bmw-m5-versus-2015-chevrolet-ss/

it might handle better but it's still an unreliable POS and none of the followups handled well. so you have to rebadge an australian car to make a better version of that unreliable POS

When you keep in mind a e39 m5 costs 3 times less than a SS, dumping $2k in post purchase maintenance is nothing much.
These cars often have 300+k km's in the used market so obviously they're not ''unreliable POS''

chevy didn't want it to sell

everyone knows it's an unreliable POS stop. just because it's worth maintaining to 300k doesn't mean it's not an unreliable POS that will cost you more in maintenance than a brand new, superior car

Actually everyone knows that E39 was built during the era when BMW still built stout vehicles and E39 is one of the most reliable generation BMWs ever.
480k km E39 M5:
m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/378761-milestone-300-000-mile-2002-m5-2.html

we did tho we made the adventua and what a spectacular failiure that was

Then was the hood hearted but badly designed 1st gen territory which had a shitload of problems similar to e series and au falcons (shit brakes ball joints fuel system shoddy electrics) BA-BF tier shit ICC

Ill miss the aussie cars but holy fuck did they design everything besides the engine fucking shit.

Then came the VE-VF which where... erugghhh okay i guess just not up to par in terms of interior quality especially in 2006-2013 models just absolute bearbones ratshit

Ford on the other hand literally had not touched the platform since the infamous billion dollar AU1 turd and sort of refreshed that back in 2008 but it was still very much a AU-BF under all that.

there is a reason everycunt is barra swapping other cars its because the falcons are dogshit

At least the zeta platform was so good that it got turned into the Alpha platform

then why does doug say it's unreliable and that the SS is a more reliable e39 m5? because bmw cars have always been unreliable pieces of shit and e46/e39 are next level shoddy pieces of shit that you BMW fangirls elevate to status they don't deserve.

yes an e39 m5 is probably the best handling mid size sedan on the market, and yes, people keep replacing their parts until they reach 400k KMs, that however is not an arguemnt and your favourite piece of shit is and will never be reliable because germans can't make reliable cars that are not diesel 4cyls

e39 m5 is unreliable

>zeta platform was so good that it got turned into the Alpha platform
Alpha and Zeta are unrelated.

because americans have bad tastes.

oh we used to go down the river and slip into the water.
what good times they were.

we did some real gay stuff and we always talk shit so take no notice at what we say.

just disregard what i said above

I bought a shitty chevy

coolest car on Veeky Forums confirmed?

Yeah nah Doug actually praises the E39 build quality and he gave a 7/10 quality score which is a better score than the other GM product he reviewed - Cadillac ELR
youtube.com/watch?v=K8h-hZouHZk

he says the SS is more reliable

I like the e39 too but it's not a reliable car. no good BMW is

well no shit of course the SS is more reliable.
but as I said when you keep in mind the E39 M5 vs Chevrolet SS huge price gap the e39 is still a better bang for the buck even if you have to dump some money to upkeep it.
Only advantage of the SS is that there is no hassle you just buy it and drive it

bad timing
amerimutts like big trucks to compensate smol benis

you need 100k to make an m5 perfect, or you need to buy one in perfect condition which is 100k

only to get surprise VANOS rattle

AHAHAHAHHA
H
A
H
A
HA
HA
H
AH

your dim mate

lmao just no.
drvanos.com/index.php/e39-m5-vanos

you deluded if you think vanos is only think that goes wrong on them

I work at a independent BMW service, ask me anything about E39 M5 maintenance and costs.
I posted the link just as an insight because you seem clueless.

Test

A bunch of retarded forum dwellers hounded gm about it. gm made the mistake of confusing this for real demand and brought it out. None of those people could actually afford to buy it snd never had any intention of doing so. They all bought 3k crown vics instead and this car might as well not exist.

yeah and my uncle works for BMW bavaria HQ and he says the cars are shit

>the fact that they still ended up so great was a feat of engineering

yeah it's a miracle holden finally churned out a decent car (VF) after 30 years of shit, low features, bloated road boats

either way even if you buy a POS lemon e39 m5 with a blown engine and spend $15k in a full engine rebuild you still end up with a cheaper car than the SS lmao.

and then suspension fails

gg bmv fanboy

sure, keep grasping at straws. e39 has standard suspension its simpler and cheaper than the SS magnetic ride.
A full set of CATuned coilovers cost $1200 btw.

so you bought an inferior unreliable car and spent more than the guy who bought new car

SS base price: $47k
decent used E39: $10-20k depending on where you live

>No marketing
>$45k starting
>Looks like shit compared to G8

>decent
loooooool

also if you want an unreliable POS why not get the e60? at least you get cool V10 xD

underage get off my board

>guy comparing used to new calling anyone underage

I kek'd.

Oh? prove your point then.

So all the reviewers including Doug, Road and track, Motortrend etc who compare the SS to the E39 are retards?
You can't buy a new E39 M5 fucking imbecile

drawing a technical comparison between them doesn't mean they're crosshopping them, anyone knows cross shopping a brand new car with a used one is dumb xD

All car reviewers pretty much are retards including your friend doug.

I DONT NEED TO I FUCKING OWN ONE U RETARD

The difference is Chevy SS/E39 M5 owners actually very often do cross shop both cars because those are objectively the best sports sedans available currently.

not really the stinger is betterer than both xD

You own both an Alpha and a Zeta platform car? so you've taken them apart and made a diagram about how their related and how they took one and made it into the other? are you going to talk or chimp out?

This car should have been thenew Impala. GM fucked up on this one.

It should have just been sold as a Holden and it should have been available in all of its variations which there are a fuck load of.
Not to mention the HSV's should have been available, why in the fuck did the UK get them when America didn't ever get one?

stop talking out of your ass

the zeta/alpha and v body are all the same tis just bodykit and slight mod

>car that inspired the ss
>not all the Holden 4 door v8 ss models since the 70s
>New vs used German car
Lel

Still not cheap and crappy enough for cheapskate Murrikans. They expect Malibu interiors for Malibu prices.