youtu.be/u-Ja8DTstTM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

three words

Fiat
Chrysler
Association

Because in real life nobody bought their cars

RIP, but audi didn't win again tho

Is this all this board is? Discussion of Top Gear and Doug episodes?

us yurops did. I saw a Delta HF yesterday. Got rock hard desu

I'm from yurp m8, I saw one Lancia every 10000 other brand's car. Italy doesn't count

it's a small italian manufacturer. Same goes for skoda and seat pre-VAG

Lancia died a long time ago, user.

i also love Delta

Well, it is killed by its kind, FCA. Well, blame Italians.

goddamn I wish they never made that abomination, they almost got the grill right off the 80's delta but I guess Anthony was too busy eating pasta.

because italisharts can't into craftsmanship, work ethics and overall not being swarthy gypsies selling junk for high prices

>Lancia
Literally who
Audi won a lot, that's why ones will remember them.

>implying

y-yeah

kek
Link?

>sees wikipedia-style page
>asks where

first wikipedia result on "audi wrc wins"

hurt my heart that Clarkson didnt even mention the Delta S4 in his little 037 circle jerk. the 1983 WRC was an interesting story but the Delta S4 was a much more impressive machine that changed the entire sport as we know it.

There is no Group B rally in 2000s

It was a piece solely on the '83 season, although I agree that he could have said at the end or at least in the studio about the Delta, not only the S4, but the group A one, as well.

According to wiki, Group B existed in 1982 - 1986. It means that Audi won 2, and Lancia won 1.

SAVAGE. You trigger VAGhaters.

What has this got to do with anything wikipedia related.
>Group B is all of rallying. Peugeot got also 2, and I don't remember them getting BTFO'd by some drunkards in an RWD spaghetti-mobile.

>Peugeot got also 2, and I don't remember them getting BTFO'd by some drunkards in an RWD spaghetti-mobile.
Frogs don't want to be remembered cuz it is too embarrassed....

The Fulvia had a V4

Reminder that in '82 (the year before the season y'all talking about rn) that autisitc bavarian dude already beat the Audi Quattros in pick related.

The Ascona 400 was the last succesful old school rally car. Regular steel body, NA 2.4l 4cyl engine up front, rear wheel drive and a live axle out back. Röhrl won that year bey scoring high at the tarmac rounds, and playing it safe and finishing everywhere else.

But the press bothering him and trying to stirr fake controversy apparently annoyed him to the point he asked Lancia for that odd contract that allowed him to do his favourite events without having to deal with winning the drivers championship

The third gen delta wasnt a bad car actually. It just isnt the Delta. But so wasnt the second gen delta too

now when i think about it, from audi's perspective getting rekt by peugeot isn't much to be proud of either. i think i vaugely remember some peugeot 504 wins in some kind of rallies, but that's it, no renault 5 like pure wrc heritage. so, in other words
>be audi
>win championship with your audisteering car because of a 4wd trick
>two years later, company that produces small city hatchback decides to get into rally seriously
>we have no idea what we're doing
>slams 4wd and huge ass turbo into their 205
>rapes audi in their own game

>Audi won a lot
Veeky Forums is literally full of trash

The thing about the mid-engined AWD monsters like the Delta S4, 205 T16, RS200, Metro 6R4 and so on is they were essentially purpose-built monsters wearing the skin of a family car.
Audi's boss insisted that the rally version of the Quattro used the same drivetrain layout as all their family cars to prove to the world exactly how good it was.

Needless to say, it wasn't very impressive when compared to purpose-built solutions.

>triggered lanciacucks
Suck it up.

that and the early Audi Quattros were affordable luxury cars meant for regular people.

>ytw homologated Lancia Delta S4s were equal to $100,000 in today's money and maybe 40 were actually built

shame that the Manta 400 was essentially the same car in a different bodyshell. Group B homologated, but they didn't do much with it

It just looks so right though, probably the proportions

Also the other mad mid-engined French shitbox

The story about lancia faking the numbers of the homologation cars is probably bullshit. And the homologation number for the group b was only 200. Actually, the story about lancia showing the fia guys the same bunch of cars I first heard it for the delta s4, not the 037. Anyway, every car had a serial number printed on the chassis, I don't know how anyone could cheat the committee from fia on the inspection. It's one on the many stories regarding lancia, this one is probably fake. It probably surfaced by the fact that the stradale versions of both the stratos, 037 and s4 are really fucking rare, and are definitely less than the original 400, 200 and 200 models respectively for each. Some of them are still property of fiat, in some garage or in their museums. I talked with an Italian user who got in his hands a s4 stradale from a fiat boss who had to clean up an old deposit, just some a couple years ago. Many others were purchased by privates and made into full fledged rally cars, so it's obvious the numbers will never add up

Do I want one of these? Goin for around $70,000

I do, but I don't have $70k

>around $70,000
per fender ?
good luck finding replacement parts

>comparing a Group B car to a Group 4 car
>tell the story about Audi getting the rules changed for AWD but don't even mention the complete rules overhaul required for the 037 to compete

What a shit segment.

>it's a small italian manufacturer
How do manufacturers become big?
By people buying their cars.
How do manufacturers stay small?
No one buys their cars.

t. only buys mass-produced cuck mobiles

>t. Butthurt Audifag
The engine layout was retarded and was the biggest downfall of the car.

>According to wiki, Group B existed in 1982

INTRODUCED IN 1982 YOU IDIOT.
1982 championship was Group 4, Group B didn't start until 1983.

overnight parts from Italy

And yet it still dominated the World Rally scene so hard they had to completely change the rules to allow other manufacturers to compete - pretty shit car amirite?

Didn't you watch the segment? Lancia didn't even make 400 037's, the Quattro was a production car which sold in the tens of thousands - there's no comparison.

>dominated
See

Yes it took them a while to develop the cars to the stage where they could reliably compete - as with any radically new design, but in those early years what races they did win they completely dominated.

Sucks that an S4 road car costs like $600,000

>To finish first, first you gotta win
They didn't dominate shit then. They won by margin of 10% in 1982. And they barely won in 1984, too.
If they were so good, they would have adapted to the regulations, but they didn't.

2am brain
>To finish first, first you gotta finish
Retarded me.

You said it yourself dickhead:
>Röhrl won that year bey scoring high at the tarmac rounds, and playing it safe and finishing everywhere else.

He didn't even bother trying to compete with the Audi on gravel (because he couldn't come close) so he just finished the race and hoped they didn't.

It just proves that the car isn't at all dominant, you short bus idiot.

It was indeed dominant, it won some stages by such a large margin that it completely disheartened the competition.

What's more aesthetic?

>Lancia
>Audi

key word
>some
If it was dominant, it would have won all.
Like the 2014 Mercedes F1 car for example.

>you have to win every single stage to be considered "dominant"

Ok mr austismo, I don't agree with your definition of dominant, but how would you describe the Quattro's impact on Group 4 rally?

Now this is a whole another topic, it moved the whole rallying world in another direction.

A pininfarina design vs a german one? The answer is obvious

How would it have such an impact on the Rally scene? Unless of course it was dominant....

Just because there is potential in an idea, doesn't mean the idea was executed well. Just like the Front mounted engine, which caused the car to understeer.
Agree to disagree and move on with our autistic lives.

That potential that you're talking about, the potential that all the other teams and drivers saw, it the dominance I'm talking about - it was that one uphill snow stage where the Audi finished in half the time of anyone else or the fast gravel stage where the Audi didn't have any mechanical issues.

They knew it was just a matter of time before they weren't going to be able to compete at all.

As great as this story is, my heart is with Martin Schanche.

Doing Rallycross, first to turbo! win everything.
Audi comes with 4x4, he builds his own system from scratch! beats everyone!
European champion year after year!

Even went to do Pikes Peak, had audi beaten by 10sec at half way, but gets a flat tire and ends up 3. overall.

Everything he did, he did from his garrage, no big factory team, absoulte! madman!

Because the WRC is a cancer to the sport.
>don't have to homologate
>extremely limited powerplant rules
So every car in the sport is a tiny shitbox frame with gaudy aero and a drivetrain that doesn't resemble a production car in the least.
Sport is fucking dead, at least from a production car standpoint. It's NASCAR tier and has been for over a decade.

Bump

Skoda and SEAT before VAG were two backwater manufacturers from autoritharian shitholes with no economies

>us yurops did
only slavs and meds i.e. poor people.

if they brought back homologation the automotive industry would instantly take that much needed step in the right direction.
also, that part of the latest GT episode was everything I always wanted top geh to be

if hammond ever dies, i want clarkson to go solo and make car history videos while may could go solo and make car technology nerd videos

now when i think about it, both of them had already did it, didn't they? there was some old "clarkson's car years" series

Clarkson's Car Years was fabulous, they just didn't make enough of it.

>rallying in the 80s
>caring about drivers championship
back in those days most drivers didnt even compete the full season and manufacturers didnt give a shit about the drivers titles

The biggest market for Lancia outside Italy was the UK

They were pretty popular in NZ too apparently
youtu.be/u-Ja8DTstTM

MLGA
MAKE LANCIA GREAT AGAIN

You do know Fiat bought Lancia in 1969, right? lol
It was Fiat that made Lancia great.

>what could have been

M L G A

L

G

A

I mean, it is.
It may be the only example of its kind, but it does exist. Get wealthy and back efforts to make a production run

but, it was

oops

the platform was the ferrari f430, so it's already relatively outdated.

So? they modified the chassis itself to suit the needs of the car

They said they'd be up for doing the same with the 458.

Ferrari started bitching and crying and said no.