>walk out of the garage and enjoy the rest of the evening
>your car on the other hand...
>there was some dirt in the connector, it caused a bad connection
>the charger detected it and shut off
>the next morning, you get ready for work
>go out, unblug your car, and get in it
>after turning it on, you're greeted with RANGE: 8 MI
>work is 18 miles away
>you have a meeting that you can not miss in an hour.

What is going to happen when these cars are widespread? I mean, everyone has had one of those days where their phone didn't charge in the night, and they are all fucked up.

Other urls found in this thread:

tesla.com/support/android-and-iphone-app
vimeo.com/161380285
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Come home from work
>its a warm summer day
>every kicks on their AC
>power goes out
>cant charge car
>can't drive it anywhere
>can't walk to a station and bring back a new battery

99% of the time there is a fault it will tell you when it is plugged in. These are heavy duty plugs that don't un-do themselves.

Regardless of that in 15 years when all cars are electric they'll be parked on big wireless charging pads and charge in an hour.

Induction charging is not efficient

Power grid loads are lowest at night. Charging at night won't stress the grid.

They should just have an electric rail built into the roads and the car would have a little wire that drags on it. You get billed by the mile, and by vehicle weight.
Boom, no more battery problems.
Boom, cars cost $7000 less, weigh 1000 lbs less, and can drive all day.

I just invented the future.

The car will beep and flash at you if a proper connection was or was not made.

you just invented the train

>everyone has had one of those days where their phone didn't charge in the night, and they are all fucked up

uh, no, are you a retard?
just look at the battery icon, it usually shows a tiny lightning bolt when it's charging
you're welcome

Yes but in car form.
New idea: solar panel on the roof and trunk lid, and a wind turbine on the nose. At highway speeds, that's a strong wind to power the turbine.

Another idea: a hitch reciever on the front of the car. You just roll up behind a truck and it latches onto his hitch. It disconnects with the press of a button.

>walk outside
>tire is flat
>have to be to work in 10 minutes

Uber? Call a taxi? Call out sick? Shit happens.

Change it

>Induction charging is not efficient
The whole grid lives by induction. You can design alllll kinds of transformers. Even capacitative.

thats actually genius

tesla.com/support/android-and-iphone-app
>the charger detected it and shut off
and then it pinged your phone that an unexpected event happened and the current state of charge of your car

In 10 minutes?

yes, putting on a spare tire takes less.

spare wheel I meant

>everyone is now charging their cars at night
power grids will probably be under the highest loads at night now

>blug
blug in bagina :-DDDD

Bullshit Macgyver.

>Power grid loads are lowest at night. Charging at night won't stress the grid.
did you read what you posted? jesus fucking christ LMAO

>get piece of metal anywhere near a charging pad
>it gets 100 amps inducted through it
>house burns down

>it takes more than ten minutes to change a single tire

This is a highly successful way to power vehicles.

I approve

Yeah, because an electric rail will work for us rural folk. Can you imagine the cost and time digging up every road in America to do this? Maybe in Yurope.

>10 minute drive
>mud just stays home instead of walking or taking a bicycle.

Ffs

Not much different from the fact that every car can break down some time.
And one thing that is often looked is that an electric motor is much less prone to defects than an ICE

What will happen:
>all cars now have apps
>car alerts you it is plugged in but not charging via mobile app
>ads play halfway through reading issue report
What should happen:
>plugs have extra pins for redundancy (on top of sensing)
>if dirt fucks up whole plug because you used it as a spade, it will not slot into car
>car has reserve mode

>putting a human blender on the front of your car
The solar panels are fine, probably a great idea for hybrids where the ICE is secondary. The slaughterer however, can't see it helping pedestrian safety kek.

Car charging won't compare to day time AC use.

Level 2 chargers are 7 to 8 kWh.

>i drive like a retard and constantly totals tires, making me the world champion of tires changing

Only had to change a tire once, took me less time than a cig (~7 mins).

>pull over
>put hazards on
>get your jack
>lift the car
>get your wrench
>remove the flat
>put on the spare
>lower the car
>put your "tools" and the flat away
>drive off

Wow, so difficult. And it should be worlds easier if you're at home and notice you have a flat before leaving.

>stop at the quick-charge station on the way to work
>30 minutes late

oh noooo

>being late to work is acceptable
You must be at least 18 to post here.

read the OP's situation again

>go out to car in the morning
>start it up
>it doesn't start due to...
ignition coil went bad overnight
fuel pump died
some electronic thing somewhere like the crank position sensor died
>work is 18 miles away
>you have a meeting that you can not miss in an hour.

what's the difference?

power grid load drops off a ton around 1am then peaks around 8, the dead of night is the best time to charge, also mid-day

Are you retarded?

... The power to spin the turbine is 100% provided by the electric motor. In other words, you're using power to spin the turbine and getting that same power (minus inefficiency) back.

Dumb.

A solar panel might trickle some power in on sunny days, but it's really not that much power at all. Better to have a solar panel on the house to compensate for AC during hot sunny days, and charge overnight.

If you're going a steady 40mp/h (60km/h), it would take you roughly 27 minutes to drive the 18mi (30km). Add on the half hour at the "quick" charge station and you're looking at 57 minutes.

Cutting it pretty fucking close, especially since you're probably going to a meeting IN the city (and at 18mi (30km) away, chances are you LIVE in the city too). And city traffic, especially around rush hour (which is usually when meetings are held, in my experience), is brutal, so you'd be lucky to be doing those speeds.

And this is all assuming that your soyboy station is along your route, and not in a more realistic place (at least twenty minutes out of the way). You're going to be fucking late. And yes, this is autistic.

obvious problem with this situation;
you can just call in to say your EV had a problem and won't go, and you're going to be late for the meeting

at a shitty company you shouldn't be working for and should quit from as soon as possible
>"what? user you moron, you're fired/this will reflect poorly on you/etc

at a good company
>"that's awful luck, could you attend the meeting remotely? we could also maybe reschedule for an hour later"

The difference is that forgetting to charge something, or something not charging correctly happens all the time, from laptops to cell phones to fucking game controllers.

The other example you gave happens rarely, and most people will never experience any of those issues at all.

honestly it would be the opposite. the kind of low wage menial jobs a teen would work for are super sensitive to people being late
most high skill jobs are less interested in arrival time so long as you get your work done

>the dead of night is the best time to charge, also mid-day

>everyone starts charging their cars at night and during mid-day
>"oh no the grid is overloaded, how did this happen?"

more companies get into generating power as rates go up.
market does market things, as it always does

This isn't just "showing up to work" though, it's showing up for a meeting. Odds are that meeting is starting with or without you, and if you show up late you look like a retard who can't manage his time. Your boss(es) will take notice.

>more companies get into generating power as rates go up.
>market does market things, as it always does
This is why electricity has gotten steadily cheaper as time goes on, right? And it's not like "greener" areas charge by peak or non-peak hours, right?

Oh wait...

MAGA

You just figured out why electric will never be the norm.

Most utility companies are government ran monopolies

It literally is this easy.

And how the hell does this user have no practice? Have they never replaced break pads before either too?

which is why you tell them ahead of time
literally everyone has shit luck like this

Apartments are putting in charging stations to attract ev owner.

>Be teenager
>Nothing to do
>"Oh look some faggy electric car charging in owner's driveway"
>unblug and keep walkin'
>giggle to self like teenage idiot
The real biggest hurdle off electric cars. Petty vandalism.

Hell, teenagers already do this to people's block heaters. Of course they're going to do it to EVs.

What if the fuel pump fails on your regular car? What if the fuel line ruptures? What if the throttle actuator jams? What if the brakes sieze, a brake cylinder fails, the master cylinder ruptures, an ignition coil burns out, an injector clogs, the alternator fsils, the starter fails, springs collapse, the timing chain jumps, the belt snaps, a pulley seizes...

Whst ifs apply to all vehicles, but with fewer moving parts electric cars certainly have fewer whwt ifs to ask.

>Hey, what if you forget to plug in your EV at night, like what happens with your cell phone, laptop, or anything else from time to time? Or what if the connection is bad, which tends to happen? Or maybe a teenager unplugs it on you?
>"YeAh WeLl wHaT iF tHe gAs StAtIoN eXpLoDeS?!"

>literally everyone has shit luck like this
You mean soyboys with their mommy's "car" have issues like this. Most people don't need to refuel every day or risk being stranded.

In Netherlandistan sometimes the plug freezes stuck. I saw a news article about a golf GTE of which the owner had to call our equivalent of AAA only to hear the
>itsfuckedmatebigtime.jpg
Eventually they managed to loosen it with some heaters

Those things are extremely rare on even the shittiest of new cars. Modern cars only need oil changes for the first 2-4 years. Excluding the engine your average EV has more things to go wrong. Just look at the motorized door handles fucking up in cold weather from the factory.

You shouldn't be spending $100k on a car if you don't have a garage to store it in.

this is normal in Netherlandistan where not only cars are expensive as FUG bcause muh co2 taxes goyim, but land in amsterdam is over 1000 euro per square km. A parking spot on the street costs up to 130k to buy in fancy areas. I've also seen plenty of model S' just parked on the street with a cable running to it

The difference is that you're comparing basically a Tesla reliability to the reliability of a 1989 Honda civic with 385,000 miles.

>... The power to spin the turbine is 100% provided by the electric motor
are you retarded or do you not know what a wind turbine is?

>t.busrider

the entire point of owing a car is so you DON'T have to travel the government approved routes to the government approved destinations

You get a fucking cab and shut the fuck up

>blug

electric cars have a ton of reliability issues that have very little to do with maintenance and all tend to stem from the same problem, which is it takes way too damn long to charge the car, unless you use some kind of supercharger which shortens battery lifespan and still takes too long. Which means having the charger in your home can bring a host of problems from the non-structured setup. There's a gas station almost every few blocks, and filling up takes only a few minutes, and there is no way for it to fail outside of you being a retard and putting diesel in a gas engine or vice versa. And if you forgot to fill up last night, no biggie, just pop into a station for a few minutes before work.

Whereas having an electric car charge overnight, and then in the morning realizing that some act of god such as a blackout while you slept, or some dirt on the contacts or a fault in the system causing the plug to turn off caused the car to NOT charge, can make you miss work because your only option is to sit there and wait however many hours it takes for the car to charge to an acceptable level.

I'm not opposed to electric cars. I'm opposed to the memelike way they are pushed by tree huggers and liberals, where it's a matter of being FORCED into buying an electric car, instead of deciding it's convenient for me, when the technology is simply not there yet for it to be in any way feasible as anything other than a toy.

I've had that sort of happen, except I wasn't kek'd by the electric car meme. I go out to my car, and the power steering doesn't work. One time I was driving and the clutch pedal broke. Yes, the pedal bracket itself. And you know what I did? I drove without power steering because my car isn't an absolutely electronics reliant computer. There's still a great big stick of metal from the wheel to the steering rack. I clutchless shifted and ripperoni'ed my starter in order to get home. I'd like to see an EV with a fried main motor control circuit or whatever they have still limp home.
I drove a car 12,000 miles for a year with a transmission with a completely shot 3rd gear synchro. In total, I have driven close to 20,000 miles with squeaky/rattly throw out bearings. I drove 1000 miles on a rotary engine with 2 spun and 2 flaking bearings (all 4 bearings were absolutely shot) and practically zero compression. The difference between mechanical stuff "breaking" and electric stuff letting the smoke out is emergency limpability.
If it runs on 1s and 0s, any little failure is absolute failure. If it runs on mechanical parts, it takes absolute failure to cause any failure beyond being annoying to drive.

Power steering isnt needed ever in normal driving.
I lost power steering on my 6000lb pickup with 315 tires.
After a couple of days, my arms were in pain, but after a week, it went away, and I felt a lot stronger.
I then ignored it for 30,000 miles.
I only recently fixed it because I added a locker in the rear. It will bind in 4wd when attempting to countersteer while drifting, which would make it physically impossible without assist to get more then a quarter turn past center when on the throttle.
I found this fact out the hard way and almost died, probably.

Power generation requires removing energy out of the system you're harvesting. Since the mass influx of wind is due to the car moving at speed, the energy is coming from the moving car.

A wind turbine will slow down the vehicle if it's creating any real amount of inductive power. The power generated is nowhere near the power the car loses.

If you were using it as regenerative braking it would still be retarded because you could more efficiently convert the kinetic energy to electrical energy by simply connecting an inductive motor to the drive train.

vimeo.com/161380285