Here's the face of the "tech" that "changed" your oil

>go to discount tire
>new kid impacts the fuck out of a nut for 10 seconds because it wont go on
>snaps the stud
>h-heres a free voucher for a stud replacement at g-greulich automotive

best kill yourself, you took the car to Jiffy Lube

Jiff in hell?

This.

If you must take your car somewhere, find a nice little independent mechanic.

Now you know why you don't let the dipshits at Jiffy Lube anywhere near your car.

What exactly did they do? If it ran dry because they put the incorrect filter on you can have them buy you a replacement engine.

>mfw thought of some 18 year causing jiffy lube to have to get a brand new beautiful 1uz for me

Did you keep your receipt, OP?

Assuming it was a fluid change, I'm not trying to be mean here, but have you ever tried to just change it yourself? It's pretty simple once you get it down. You also have more access to what fluids you can use, not just whatever they keep in stock at lube shops. And you end up saving some cash.

no offense but you sound really poor and probably dirty

And what did we learn?

I only take it there for the state inspection since that's the only thing I can't do myself and they're not turning any wrenches on it doing an inspection.

"You sound really poor"
"I get my oil changed for as cheap as possible"
You know, places like Jizzy lube get bulk prices for their oil and are more often than not CHEAPER than done by yourself?

>letting someone else touch your car
pleb.

No offense, but you sound poor.
You see, I just have my man service and maintain the automobile in the times that he is not driving me.

>the only thing I can't do myself
How's your alignment?

I have a laser alignment setup in my garage

And they put low quality oil and fuck your car. Talk about cheaper.

lol fuck off with the anime you weeb

Perfect, I work in a shop that has a rack. You just legally can't do your own inspection because you could pass your own car while it's actually unsafe

I've heard stories of them putting regular oil in the diff case.

>he need to constantly realign his car
AHAHAH

where you live at senpai
in Texas we can do our own inspections if you work as one lmao. done my bike and all 4 of my cars

>do all my car work myself
>know one day i'll have to take my car to get the tires changed and some 14 yr old work experience kid is going to fuck my car

>relying on a cheap workshop that employs 14 y/o inexperienced spics
>not going to a proper shop with experienced staff
10$ saved worth of maintenance every year, you could start a business with that much money, the state of you wannabe-poors makes me laugh

>go to local valvoline
>dont want to but just moved and have been putting off doing my oil change, no tools or jack
>pull in and guy berates me for having a power steering fluid leak
>he's acting like I can't drive without power steering and this is a car killing issue
>tell him it's cool, I know it has a slow leak
>he scoffs and goes back underneath
>he comes up with my oil filter and shows it to me
>mounting stud is still in the damn thing
>he says they're not a full shop so they don't have the means to fix this
>tell him to give me the fucking thing
>grab pair of pliers out of glove box and remove stud from oil filter
>hand it back to him tell him to put it back in
>he wont
>I get pretty pissed at this point and start yelling at him tell him don't fucking bother doing anything else
>Push my car into the parking lot walk across street to walmart and buy a jack and jackstands and other supplies
>do it myself
>go in and flip out on the manager and drive home.

Is this some kind of fucking bait? I make a shitload of money and I still do my own oil changes.

being this retarded.

Worse ive had was
>take truck in for 1st oil change cause i was 16 and had no experience and needed inspection
>they change oil, torque on the senpai filter (i find out how bad a few months later)
>"hey user, we cant pass your car. You dont have the right cabin filter or (some) exhaust system"
Keep in mind, i just got this thing from a dealer 2 months ago, all ive done was add a stereo.
>go home, and do research
>mfw when my truck doesnt have a cabin filter or any of that bs exhuast shit
Wasted an hour of my life.

I think he's euro. They have all kinds of safety inspections that a car has to pass which could be considered subjective and therefore not doable by the owner of the car. Your inspection is just a computer asking the OBD if the car is running right.

That's the worst. I hope they didn't make you pay extra for your "cabin filter exhaust system"

my gf was the worst. She went to Midas and took their word for everything. Next thing you know she's getting a $400 brake job and I told her I wanted to go look at it because no way she has $400 worth of brake repairs without noticing some kind of grinding or other issues. I went in and took a look. Shoes were still okay but not in the best condition but her discs were pretty bad. Rear brakes needed no changes. went to advance picked up parts and did it myself for $60.00 and she was amazed. She had always been paying this much for brakes. Then I made fun of her and asked if they flush her coolant too and she said yeah I always bring it in for a "tune up" and after she explained what that was I told her to never step foot in midas again.

>Your inspection is just a computer asking the OBD if the car is running right.
Why the fuck inspect it then? I've passed cars that ran like shit, as long as they idle and seem somewhat alright it's fine. They didn't care it ticked like crazy.
Inspecting safety shit like brakes, suspension and protruding rice mods are actually in the interest of other people.

I-is this how cars are inspected in the US? No wonder you're a joke country
I've to wait like an hour for the inspection and they check every single possible thing in the car, from brakes, head and read lights efficiency and so on.

All the US cares about is emissions.

The only time a car would get a complete inspection, at least that I know of, was if someone bought it as a salvage title, and was trying to get a proper title so that it could be sold or driven.

No I'm a yuro responding to As long as your car can idle, has a cat when it should, and doesn't spit unreasonable clouds of smoke the engine is fine. Only thing they would perhaps care about is big oil or fuel leaks due to fire hazard.
At least in my country, full inspections are only done if you swap in a engine into a car from after feb '96. Import probably too but taxes fuck you anyway.
They just visually inspect the presence of a cat. Some bigger garages actually have proper testing equipment but you can just go to a small one.

I've stopped actually changing the oil in my truck. I just change the filter about once a year. I only do this because my truck burns about a gallon of oil a month if I drive it every day lol.

why should the government be able to dictate the condition of your property?
inb4 b-but muh safety!

at least they gave you that. any shop around me would just break the thing and not even tell you. unless it's really noticeable.
for example they fucking destroyed my intake housing trying to check if the filter needs changed.
had to spend 50$ on new filter housing and fix it myself.

Threads like these always make me so glad the master mechanics at work like me. I get parts at cost, I don't have to worry about them messing something up, I can see everything they're doing, and they cut me huge deals on labor costs. All I have to do is buy them lunch.

Y'all should consider working in a shop

>tells man to remove Vietnamese cartoon on Vietnamese cartoon sharing site

My friend bought a brand new jeep liberty at 5000mi dealer changed oil. At 10k she asked me to do it. Put it on the lift and the plug was fucking destroyed. Took some pics for her replaced it told her to go get a refund from the dealer for last service.

Tldr: even the dealer has the biggest retard change your oil.

I dated this useless girl from boston. Her and her useless family would always take her car to the dealer for anything.
>$200 for a head light bulb change
>$500 for valence hanging off under front bumper
Stuff like that.

She broke her valence again and i fixed it in their garage with zip ties and they thought i was a god.

did you forget what mongolian noodle enthusiast website you're on, user?

Yeah, it wasn't that much of an inconvenience, shop had a new stud in pretty quickly cause it was across the street. I'm just blown away by that kids use of the impact gun, he goes hard on every stud from what I've seen.

Why was she breaking her valence so often

>Get oil change at Mobil 1
>Hey your cabin air filter is super dirty, want us to change it?
>Sure
>Drive home. Cabin smells super dusty when I turn on the fan. Drive back to shop and tell them.
>Oh probably just some dust got knocked into the vent, it will clear up.
>hvac smells dusty for the next year. Also fan is really weak.
>wtf
>take it into a shop, tell them the fan is weak
>go home
>they call and say it's fixed
>$250.00
>what was the problem?
>dirty ass cabin air filter and it was put in backwards

Yeah the cockwad charged me $250 to change the cabin air filter.

thats what you get for not doing something as simple as a cabin air filter change yourself

We don't even have inspections in Colorado. Well, the city has emissions testing but that's it.

Lol I stopped changing the oil filter. I just drain and refill the oil, takes half the time.

female

I'm a busy guy and I have several work trucks to maintain.

>freedom != I do the fuck I want to
if your car could - even with correct human input - cause a crash then your Freedom™ of being an imbecile would collide with the Freedom™ of someone else. Your freedom ends where someone else's begin.

The rule seems to be you get to do whatever you want, but the caveat is you have to put up with other retards doing whatever they want.

if you want it done right do it yourself

Why are shops so useless though? Should I have to learn every profession because people are so unreliable they can't be trusted with anything? Even something so simple?

Even aside from OBD stuff my state looks at sensors, window tint, tire quality, mirrors, lights, wipers, certain parts of the frame, etc. Although my local shop doesn't give af and just checks tires and the OBD thingy. I remember one time one of my tires was going bald so the guy told me to get it changed, I just rotated it to the other side and got passed.

The tire blew the next day.

I do my oil at a jiffy lube-like place, honestly it’s cheaper than doing it myself.
Mind you I don’t trust them to do literally anything else, absolutely only the oil change. If filters, brakes, etc. actually need to be done I will do that myself so I know it was done right.

Nope indeed, professionals do exists for a reason, if you can't or won't do things on your own either by time or skill.
But saying that you rely on someone else other than you to touch your car, rustles Veeky Forums jimmies

this shit is amazing that people can't make normal fixes. My ex gf's dad was having issues with his water heater and asked if I could look at it. Went in, he told me "ever since the basement flooded we haven't had hot water!!" figured pilot light got knocked out, went down and restarted it, took ten minutes and that was just to let the gas build up enough for it to ignite. He gave me $100 for fixing it...

>Not doing fluid changes yourself

It's like you want some dipshit teenager to strip your drain plug and break studs.

But at shops they gotta make'em start some where, and the ones with experience usually don't want to do trivial jobs when there are more complicated fixes on schedule.

not all shops are useless

can't believe my b8 got this many replies
>Veeky Forums
oh wait yes i can Lol

Why you don't gently, yet firmly, gtfo

If you starve it of (you)s, it'll go away.

I'm , they check tint, tires, mirror, lights, structural weakness as well. And wipers probably but I got through an inspection with a wiper drawing a line in the middle of my vision, so you'll kill yourself before they reject it.
Just no real engine things. As long as your car doesn't endanger others and pass more gas than an angry austrian dude they don't care. And your speedo has to work, that's the only thing for your own they check. You can rip out airbags all you want.
This also has the advantage that if you buy a sub 1k 20 year old car that passed inspection, it won't be falling apart from rust.
Depending on the inspection shop you go to you can still get screwed over. A repair shop will try to find something to repair, one that only does inspections just wants you to come again next year.
I had a car pass after a €1 repair, a door strip came loose and the guy taped it up. A repair shop would replace it, along with replacing your brand new rotors.

And you sound so poor that you couldn't afford a keyboard with shift keys and punctuation.

Not him, but that was a poor attempt

Is this new bait?

Top kek

Minnesota has no inspections at all unless you're registering a salvage title or a kit car.

The shops that aren't useless charge about a hundred dollars labor to change your oil, because mechanics that aren't useless don't work for less than $30/hour + bennies.

Why are lube techs always so salty? I've only been to a lube shop about five times in my life and every experience I've had seems like they didn't want my business and I was just bothering them.

>going to jiffy lube
No you fucked up your car.

As a salty lube tech it's probably for several reasons.
>am hourly, so it doesn't matter how many cars I do or how many sales we make
>customers are belligerent retards who always think we're trying to rip them off when no, they really do need that air filter/tire/etc, I get paid the same whether you buy it or not so I'd rather do less work and not need to sell you something
>lube techs are typically underpaid
>jobs that are a pain in the ass like ford escape batteries or luxury car oil changes don't pay any better so there's less incentive to want to do them, especially since the customer is usually bitchy about how long they take

Also
>always have to work with shitty missing or falling apart tools since it's impossible to get management to buy anything

Hmm I didn't realize the life of a lube tech was this shitty. I guess if I ever go back into one I'll have a different attitude.

" i am a busy guy and i have several properties to maintain " said the guy who never replaced the batteries in his smoke detector on a vacancy

So what the fuck is a "lube tech"? Do they only change fluids because they're too retarded to do any proper mechanical work or what?

>lube shop
Is this a thing in the US, places where you go only for oil changes?
Around yuropizza only conventional shops exists, you might stretch it to gas stations but it's a diy job anyway.

>works at shop
>doesn’t do the work himself
Come on

What the fuck it takes like 5 minutes, you have time to drive and wait at a shop but not time to change a fucking filter, what the hell

ITT: Americans and their hysterically frequent oil changes.

Do you just have shit oils or are you that cucked by the industry?

>Go to get an oil change at a lube place because fuck me i don't have a jack and an oil change costs as much as a jack
>HEY MAN YOUR AIR FILTER IS DIRTY
>brings out a fucking cone filter when i have the OEM flat one in the airbox
>"no thanks i'm good"
>They leave the old filter gasket on
>don't put a crush washer on the drain plug
>and torque everything down with an impact wrench
>car runs dry halfway home

Never again.

If an oil change is cheaper than a DIY job and not part of some crazy lifetime service package you got at a dealer it's probably not going to end well 100% of the time, and they could be doing shit like using out of spec oil or just the wrong oil period.

I only change mine once a year, but I only drive 7k miles a year.

12,5k miles here (but in kilometers).
Most manufacturers don't demand frequent oil changes like they maybe would many many years ago. It's strange how americans still do it.

How many trucks do you have? I'll do it for half that.

My motorcycle still says 3000 miles in the manuak but it revs to 15k and I rev it to 15k on a daily basis. Also it holds 3 1/2 quarts and runs it all through a tiny filter, while using the same oil for the gearbox, engine, and clutch.

50k miles and compression is still factory. yay.

>he hasn't replaced his drain plug with a pressure release valve
>he hasn't replaced his roof rack with a 55 gallon drum of motor oil
>he doesn't have fresh oil constantly gravity-feeding from the drum into his engine, and out the oil sump
>dirty oil is released directly back to the earth, where it belongs

oils cheap engines arent

>oils cheap engines arent
>tires cheap medical bills arent
What kind of retarded argument is that? You buy new rubber every 10000 miles?
Yes oil is cheap but jesus crist even my diesel shitbox is able to do 15000 euromiles - 9300 burgermiles - with full synth oil

>original booklet from 17 years ago
>still going my car

Can usually go for 10k with full synthetic... I don't see why you think the cars are any different. Some people believe that they use their cars too heavily to justify staying on the light service schedule. I drive on hilly, bumpy roads a lot, so I tend to go for a more aggressive service to keep my car running. Is that so wrong?

The opposite is true. You should do maintenance more frequently if your engine does very little miles on a daily basis.
Hilly roads aren't a strain for the engine as it's working as long as it's working within it's specifications, bumbs affecting the engine is new to me.
City driving is an engine killer not country roads

*Hilly roads aren't a strain for the engine as long as it's working within it's specification
autism impulse hit again

>country roads
take me home

They may not affect the engine, but they can total a car based on interior damage alone if they get in and spend a few nights.

Oh don't worry, I'm doing both. I live in the bay, so the roads are shit, hilly, and full of potholes and stop/go.
I'm not a subscriber to the "low mileage" meme, I think cars are designed to drive, but highway driving and driving in Berkeley are two very different propositions for car maintenance.

I never end up saving cash. Once you factor in the oil, filter, and time to both do the change and return the used oil it breaks even or I'm at a loss.

I still do it because I enjoy it, but I never save money.