Working in HK

>completely sick of my job, burnt out and bored (Business/Data Analyst in a tech startup, 2 years)
>desperately want to go back to Asia, studied in China for a year, missing it ever since, want to get my Mandarin back up to speed too
>been applying for jobs in HK and Singapore for months, no luck because I'm in Europe, not there
>roommate going abroad so will need to move out of my apartment anyway, this is convenient timing
>quitting my job in the next two weeks
>gonna apply for a working holiday visa to HK, look for work there
>have about €10k saved so can survive for a few months anyway
>want to move away from tech, into finance, ideally into equity research

I figure I'll get like 3-6 months before money becomes a serious issue. Particularly if I base myself in Shanghai for a little while first to save some cash.

Any advice? Completely bricking it leaving a secure job for Asia, but I just need something different in my life.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

You can always live in Shenzhen while trying to find a job in HK.,It's way cheaper.

You talked about this last week if I remember. Or was it another user?
I can assure you money will be an issue after 3 months.

This. Shenzhen is amazing, plus you can be in HK within 1 hour to do job interviews, visit apartments, etc.

Yeah it's an interesting place.

youtube.com/watch?v=SGJ5cZnoodY

I could get by on way less than 3000 euro a month in HK. Most locals make alot less than that.

Probably a different user

Yeah for HK money will be a big problem, hence Shanghai. Had also considered SZ, but I have friends in SH, and know the city better. Was in SZ once before and liked it (bit calmer than SH, which was nice), so I may make a stop there.

Visa would be an issue for the PRC is the only problem- working holiday visa for HK would allow me to live there legally, I still have memories of the Chinese police knocking on doors of apartments to make sure everyone had visas (including ours)

I could stay in the PRC temporarily, but the main bulk of it would need to be HK. SZ will definitely be useful for scouting out apartments and interviews, though
I guess the main worry for me is one of the following happens:
>I don't get a job, have to go home
>I get a job but it's total shit just to pay the rent
>Get lots of interviews but no one will sponsor the work visa

I have some contacts, but I'll need to be hustling day and night to get something decent.

I could always try Singapore if HK doesn't turn up anything, it's a great place to live too from what I've seen there, but there was something I just loved about HK, can't put my finger on it

>Had also considered SZ, but I have friends in SH, and know the city better. Was in SZ once before and liked it (bit calmer than SH, which was nice), so I may make a stop there.

So why not settle in shanghai?

I was in Shenzhen once to get a train into Shanghai. I had a 2 hour wait and I wanted to buy some new socks but couldn't find any so I was fucking upset.

True story.

Money and jobs, essentially

There's a lot less in Shanghai for howaito piggu

Also I preferred HK as a place to Shanghai. Shanghai is fun, but it can get on your nerves after a while. HK is a happy balance between the craziness of SH and the calmness of Singapore. Plus, tons of finance jobs there.

Also no working holiday visa for the PRC (or non-local graduate visas, annoyingly), so it's tourist visa or nothing

Where from Europe are you?

Ireland

Yeah, I agree. HK is much nicer than anywhere I've been in mainland china. I just wondered if having friends in Shanghai would sway you towards staying there.

Despite only being there twice I love HK. It would be my first choice for a city to live in if I could afford it.

Shenzhen seems much more affordable. From what I've seen in a few minutes of research, everyone could be an English teacher earning anywhere between 2,000 and 3,000$ a month while paying 500$ of rent for a 200sqft 2 bedroom apartment. Some companies and schools even offer free housing and meals.

Why did I never hear about this before?

Thanks for the link user. This does seem quite interesting

yeah, but you have to live around Chinese people with their incessant spitting and queue jumping.

This

You get used to is, but HK is a world apart culture-wise. People there are considered rude, like any big city, but it's 1000x more civilised than the mainland.

Singapore is even more civilised again

>yeah, but you have to live around Chinese people with their incessant spitting and queue jumping

It's important to note that because of China's "cultural revolution", alot of class has been lost in China, whereas Hong Kong and Singapore is considered more "civilized".

However, if you're going to Asia, do not look down on Asian people, that just makes you a bad human being.

Just looked at the job offers and they all want someone who speaks Mandarin.

Well what would you expect you moron?

Yeah, but the job offers were in my country and some of them even in my language. I was looking at our Chambers of Commerce and Industry page.

Not really true. You can find some schools that offer free mandarin lessons.

Yeah, I already had Mandarin lessons and still they are looking for someone already speaking Mandarin.

It looks like they are aiming for Chinese foreign students who studied here and learned our language. It makes more sense to hire a Chinese speaking English and barely a third language instead of some local speaking barely Mandarin.