Why do all auto makers use electric power steering now...

why do all auto makers use electric power steering now. it might be good for luxo barges and DDs but why do even BMW/porsche which are supposed to make driver's cars (not anymore tho lol) use electric steering now?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering_ratio#Steering_quickener
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What's the difference between pressurizing your PS fluid with a pump driven off a belt from the motor - and - pressurizing your PS fluid with an electric pump which gets it's power from an alternator driven off a belt from the motor?

If it were like that it would be fine - my dad had a car in the 80s with an electric pump for the ps, it was an Opel I think.
But electric power steering has an electric motor connected to the steering rack. It's controlled by a computer, meaning that there will be (in theory) noticeable lag and steps in its assitance

Its more like theres no feedback or road response

Yeah righto, I don't have any experience with these new cars but my MR2 had electric power steering like I described and it was fine.

wommens because of muh I don’t like to feel the road

The lag and steps depend on how good the electronic power steering is set up and build.
In many shitboxes this is indeed pretty bad, but in other cars it works just fine.

Also you can deactivate electronic power steerung by simply pulling a fuse.

Normies don't like driving.

It improves gas mileage marginally. You can use that theoretical, best case scenario improvement as an advertisement point and to help you meet mpg regulations.

Mpg reduction

Not in the toyobaru though, kek.

The toyobaru doesnt have electronic steering you dipshit, it has throttle by wire

>why do all auto makers use electric power steering now
Because it is considerably more fuel efficient than hanging pressure pumps on the engine or on the serpentine belt. Small electric pumps are a mature and commoditized item.

Another benefit besides the above is that they can be load balanced by the computer for yet additional fuel savings. This fuel savings is different in concept from the reason in the prior paragraph which is why I put it in this paragraph. You may have noticed with your prior power steering AND power brake pumps that they kept on re-pressurizing their systems when you were idling at a traffic light or stop sign. As you wiggled the steering wheel slightly or let off on the brake pedal slightly before pushing the pedal back down, that caused a little bit of pressure fluctuation you may have noticed. You might even hear a slight sound from the brake pressure reservoir as the pressure was used and restored? In current cars, if idling, the computer might not command the additional loads of the pumps to be applied to the engine since the existing pressure is sufficient to hold the brakes and the steering doesn't need changing. This type of decision making results in additional MPG savings.

In my new car, while stopped at a traffic light, I can depress (slightly) and press the brake pedal several times. The car doesn't move since the existing pressure in the lines is sufficient to hold the car still. But after one cycle of depress/press, the pressure reservoir is exhausted, but the electric power brake pump doesn't come on to refill the pressure. The computer is saving energy. In my older car with the pump hung on the engine, it would always refill the reservoir. In fact, the reservoir was so large I could get 2.5 press/depress cycles out of it. When idling in the driveway, if I did that, I could sometimes hear/fell the increased load on the engine. With my new electric pump car, the computer ignores the waste.

It has electric motors that boost the steering. There's even a light on the dash for when they overheat. Try disabling the electric boost and feel how heavy the steering gets.

It's all so that the Jews can transition effortlessly into driveless cars that can be controlled via rays from their secret base on the dark side of the moon.

The nice thing about all electric self-driving cars is that whenever President Paris Hilton determines someone is guilty of a crime, the electric door locks and windows can be locked down with their motors inoperative. The car then drives to the cliff road and goes over the 1000 foot cliff.

Well at least that makes me stare at her crotch rather than her chest, so I guess it's more socially acceptable.

My Mazda RX-8 has fully electric power steering and it has the most perfect road feel of any car I have ever driven. Even when it shuts off entirely due to funny wires, it doesn't transmit what's going on at the wheels any better without the assist interfering. However Mazda did electric power steering in that car is the way to do electric power steering.

and power as well. it takes some amount of torque to churn hydraulic fluid and keep it at working pressure

better mpg than pressurising a hydraulic system with a belt driven pump
more direct control for things like ??? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steering_ratio#Steering_quickener
and collision avoidance systems
might double as a steering angle sensor too for cost reduction

>driver's car
only a marketing term now

>There's even a light on the dash for when they overheat.
kek

going that way they only thing you can do is go for something like preloaded double pinion

adaptive cruise control for porsche
steering weight modes for autismo bmw

>The nice thing about all electric self-driving VAG cars

VAG determines they need more profit. The computer for your car is commanded to misadjust and emulate a condition of worn out parts. Your dealer charges you for an examination when you bring it in. You see the results and agree for out of warranty repairs.

Dealer profits.

VAG acquires profits to help pay for the dieselgate #2 fines.

And if you don't then the car puts itself in cuck mode to make you hate it and calls the government to inform them that it's been operated out of specification.

The problem with an all electronic future where cars communicate with the manufacturer is that customers are subject to the honesty and ethics level of the company. The car owner is essentially locked out of much info by the encrypted computers and data.

>electronic instead of mechanical
>less road feel as you are not connected directly to the road
>chance of getting killed by NSA
why would I want this

It's not the NSA. It's Russian hackers. Try to keep up.

dude you what. almost 99% of all shitboxes use vacuum created by the engine to drive the power brake booster, it has zero to do with the power steering system.

is this guy retarded, or is this copypasta that i missed.