When did hotwheels become good?

When did hotwheels become good?

Matchbox > hotwheels

>tfw my favorite diecast vehicle was the bus

Couple years back. They are making more and more awesome models. I'm especially loving the classic Japanese sports cars they are making now
>C10 skyline, C110 Skyline, Nissan Laurel, Datsun 240Z, RX7 FD, Datsun 510, Datsun 2000 roadster, CRX, Civic type R

>tfw had a matchbox Humvee with diecast body, working suspension and an opening boot
>used to roll my cars down my driveway and compare how much better the Matchbox Masterrace would handle the rough rocky concrete

SHITwheels cars would jump all over the place and flip over when they got too much speed, the Humvee just kept rolling.

This. Every fucking time.

Disgusting panel gaps

Oh fuck, is that a new model? I haven't checked the pegs in the stores for interesting shit and that looks like a perfect match to the old Initial D reference AE86.

I just picked up the new DR30, it's gorgeously painted. They got all the details right.

Matchboxes were awesome for the working suspension, very old Hot Wheels had some fancy torsion bar suspension, but the best suspension on any die-cast car has to be Majorette. They also had softer wheels for more grip, but unfortunately could not fit on HW track, I had to use Darda sets and then the wider ones (288 GTO for example) would not fit.

>Majorette

Oh yeah I remember seeing that style of car when I was a kid, decent quality but it's a shame they were always boring eurocuck family cars.

I never thought I'd see so many classic Japanese cars recreated as $1 Hotwheels cars as a kid, nor would I have even known what they were, but goddamn is it a good time. The C110 is fucking excellent (along with all the others, obviously), Jun Imai is either a wizard or a god.

Probably manufactured by gm

Oh nice, Veeky Forums ate my image. I missed out on the two earlier versions but did grab the Tokyo Motor Show reference one.

Damn this brings back some memories, only Matchbox I owned which actually had the weight to make the suspension function.

Never. Little detail, too many clownish cars, too many fantasy cars. Raised kids into having a taste for toyish looking meme mobiles like the Camaro as adults.

t. autismal Siku master race

never. I always had Bburago cars

When I was a very small child I played with Brio trains, the Euro-made wooden ones that fit together like puzzle pieces.

I would have playdates with other kids and they would show me their Thomas the Train toys amd movies and shit.

I fucking hated that stupid franchise, I hated the faces on the trains and I hated everything about it. When I would get home I would play with my Brio set, moving small freight and lumber around the living room floor. Never once did the trains talk to each other or sing any gay songs. It was just tiny wooden railcars doing railcar work. God I miss my young autism...

That looks like shit

I'm with you user, I never understood the popularity of Thomas. The faces on the trains is unsettling, even before I ever saw Shed 17, it bothered me that the trains were possibly people at one point.
Brio was the shit by the way, my local doctor's office had a huge set.

Nah, they had the same proportion of shitboxes to sports cars as the others, but obviously more euro-centric as they're French. They were big on having opening hoods and doors. That 288 GTO I spoke of not only had working suspension, opening hod and detailed engine but also super fat, appropriately staggered wheels. I had one of their giant-ass (for 1/64th) all-metal Town Car Limousines too. You could have killed a man with one of those.

Bburago rocked my socks off with all their rally cars and European racing legends when I was little, but they're pure shit tier now. Got a cheap pack with a Viper and Aventador a while back and they use the same wheel and tire design for both cars, the Aventador's front axle is set too low in the baseplate so it has a reverse rake and the paint quality is rather poor. I've seen better from Jada.

Idk man. This caught my eye at the store and for a couple dollars why not

Hawt weels

That doesn't?

>hotwheels
>not superior 1/43 models
But in all true the hotwheels cars are probably the reason I am into cars now, I had/have like 1-200 of them still have them in a box in the garage.

>suddenly remember I gave all my toy cars to the salvation army
I regret it now

Mine was this forklift.

What fucking infuriates me with half the hotwheels range isn't the lack of paint, its the bloody big ass wheel they fit at the back for "muh speed". Pic related is the zl1, M3 and 2000 GTX (last two are neat). I can't take good pictures.

this. it's too late though, i already started buying hotwheels.

I still have every single hotwheel (or like 99.9 percent, may have lost one or two over the years) I've ever had (including matchbox, couple of siku, couple of majorette, and some chinesium ones too)
Theyre all in a huge bin in the basement, though I have some other ones I havent opened yet.

Used to go to Autozone or Pep Boys with my dad and always convinced him to buy me a hotwheel when I was really little, then we'd go back and work on his 80's Tercel or early 90's corolla or Grand Caravan

I am planning on paining this red

>Get pic related as a little kid
>Car has a ridiculous amount of suspension travel, more than any of my other Matchbox cars, clearly it's designed for off road
>Pre-internet days
>None of my books have an XJ220
>Grow up thinking the Jaguar XJ220 is some sort of V12 AWD monster of a rally car

Shit was rad.

Interesting anecdote for you guys:

When I was a kid I was a huge Hotwheels collector, I must have had 300-400 cars as I would buy one basically every time my mom took me to a store that had them. We used to go to this little camp resort near my house and the management always organized little activities for the kids, like frog catching contests and arts and crafts, things like that. But one day they announced a new regular activity: matchbox races. My father and I set up the hotwheels tracks in our house and methodically tested every car I had, recording average speeds across multiple trials and with a variety of track lengths and inclines, until we narrowed it down to the unequivocally fastest of all 400 cars. And I shit you not, neither of us could believe it either, but the fastest down the track in almost all scenarios was a Mac Tonight NASCAR that I had gotten from a happy meal. It wasn't even one of the newest cars, and we even tested some of my dad's old matchbox cars from his childhood collection which we thought would be faster because they were made of solid metal but they just didn't roll as smoothly after so many years.

I ended up dominating that competition, the Mac Tonight car was literally more than twice as fast as any other entrant I ever raced it against. I stopped using it after like three or four events because the races stopped being fun when I knew there was no chance I could lose. My other cars won me a total of about 15 races overall, but eventually I suspect this other kid's dad started doctoring his cars with hidden weights because he basically became a contender overnight and actually dethroned me once with the same old shit car he always used. I took out the Mac Tonight car for the next race to remind everyone that I had been playing with my hands tied behind my back the whole time.

After that last gold medal I retired for good.

hell yeah fucking moonman

I was thinking the same. Whoever they hired a few years back, is doing a good job. I have bought like 20 models the past two years. Ton's of great cars that will please any car enthusiast.

This is what I like about hot wheels and matchbox. They release tons of cool stuff everyone can like. They got the fantasy/fun cars for kids that have play features, they have old muscle cars (67 mustang and charger 500) and classic models (twin mill, boneshaker) for people who grew up with hot wheels back the 70s; and they got the classic japanese sports cars (NSX and Skyline) and super/hypercars that the newer generation are into all being released alongside one another
The car details are getting better and better every year despite the fact they still only cost one dollar to buy

mein aryan moon people

>see Autoart AE86 in nip stores in LA and SF occasionally
>feel severe desire
>$400
>realize I could import a nice set of old school wheels or a leather wrapped 265 mm steering wheel for my actual AE86 for that price
>never get babby AE86
>still want babby AE86
Fucking christ, my life is a nightmare.

>doesn't even have a dashboard cupholder
i wouldn't pay four dollars

I don't even want an ID version of it but that's all they make I think. Fuck the cupholder. Or maybe not. It was a massive pain in the ass to find a place to store my thermos during my commute. Would roll between the seat and door or on to the floor all the time. Then I'd have to reach over and fucking die when a truck lightly passed by me.

There was a fucking moon man on this shit!? One of my all time favorite toys.