Has a hatchback

Why is this hard to understand?

i don't get it

>essence of a hot hatch

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Sunbeam#Sunbeam_Ti_and_Sunbeam_Lotus
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vauxhall_Chevette#Chevette_HS
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_AE86

Fuck off, nigger.

The concept of a "hot hatch" is an internal flawed idea. If you want hot, get a coupe. If you want practicality, get a hatch. Why get a hatchback, an intently practical and capable vehicle, and then neuter it by making it small and impractical? It could never be as light or aerodynamic as a similarly designed coupe with the same power train. It's just a sad compromise, the worst of both worlds. That being said, since this is a hatch back thread, I'm considering a diesel cruze 5door for my next car. Now that's a great hatchback.

As far as availability of mods go the GTI and Focus ST have the best market.

Either one is a pretty good choice and I think will offer you the best bang for your buck.

>Here's the cars that barely qualify as hatchbacks, and are all 30+ years old. This somehow process something.

Those aren't hot hatches.

These, also Mazdaspeed3s were dope.

>1.5 turbo 180hp
>6l/100km godtier fuel economy
>Easiest reflash of the market gets you 200-220 hp
>Unironically few simple mods get you 220 230hp
>Tremendous aftermarket options
>Factory riced

Only the beggining. In two years there will be so many options to play with

Megane
Focus ST
Golf GTI
In that order. The Megane fucking beats an Audi RS on the track. But must feel brilliant as well. Almkst bought one, a numbered limited edition Red Bull special but I was too late

Fiesta ST is the best hothatch

>>Unironically few simple mods get you 220 230hp
Hi /r/cars

I think that the drivetrain doesn't matter as much as the ability to corner.

why does it have to be FWD when RWD is objectively better?
is it just because BMW is the only manufacturer that builds rwd hatches and all the other brands don't have the money to build a rwd platform?

>The Megane fucking beats an Audi RS on the track
That's not hard

612 a best, fuck fwd.

F56 JCW

hot hatches are ugly, slow, and you look like a manchild driving something your wife made you boy to take the kids to school

Best hot hatch

I'm partial on the Giulietta because even if it's not the fastest, I love the looks, the 1750 engine sound (with an aftermarket exhaust it becomes HUGE) and punch, it also drives very well. Another thing, the seats are goat.

It can be found used for ridiculous low prices (pic related is the Veloce) like under 10 grands for the pre restyling with manual.

youtu.be/AuM2wZ70K60

Because he doesn't want the weight/cost/mpgs of AWD. RWD hot hatches don't even exist for the most part like you mentioned.

I don't get it, is this a /r/cars inside joke?

Fiesta st is best. If you're going to buy a compact sized hot hatch, you might as well buy a Porsche. There are no other cars like the fiesta st in the US.

>must be fwd
WRONG

Except the 1 series hatchbacks are cheap.
A M140i costs about the same as a Focus RS.

do they have to be modern?

>costs about the same as a Focus RS.
>cheap

It's not that they don;t have the money it has to do with other aspects of front wheel drive. More cabin space, smoother ride, easier to DD. Yeah, FWD is no good for GT racing but nothing is wrong with it from a DD standpoint.

>4x.xxx
>cheap

M140i price: £31,875
Focus RS price: £31,385
Civic Type R price: £30.995
Civic Type R GT: £32.995
upcoming Megane RS will cost around £30.000
the m140i is a bargain for what it is.

>0 posts for Abarth

That's my pick but I didn't want to get memed on...

Best is probably the Seat Leon Cupra. It's basically a Golf with less luxury but much cheaper. You have almost 300hp for less than 30k.

Megane RS.
Honda BTFO on touge
youtube.com/watch?v=dz8iKeHAckg

These are pretty underrated. They're like a Golf GTI but with a bunch or Golf R-spec go fast bits bolted on from the factory.

Honestly yea, sounds the absolute best and is cute as a toot

>Turbo
'No!'

Mazdaspeed 3

Also looks way better than the boring ass GTI.

I want NA hot hatches back. Just give me something with 250+ hp that revs to 8k and i would be happy.

SX4 with a turbo if you're in North America. Aerio for that sleeper status.

That's the old Type R though, which wasn't nearly as good as the new one.

What about the Audi S1? It looks fun, is it any good?

I totally forgot these things existed, glad you reminded me, I always thought these were pretty cool. I liked the idea of a small awd hatch. Too bad about Suzuki pulling out of the US car market.

Opel Kadett Superboss

Peugeot 306 xsi, was a beast in rally form, could outpace a lot of AWD WRC cars on tarmac

I'm partial, though.

Seat Leon Cupra R mk1, 240bhp, can pick them up for about £5k in good shape.

I've driven one and it's actually pretty good, a little underrated maybe because it wasn't sold in the US.

I would love to build one of these into a rally rocket

EK9.

Overheats.
You want reliability, get an EK.

theyre a really good deal if you live in yurop

Those wheels are horrible.

Nah but its more than a few mods

Astra is underrated

I kinda like how its whole shtick is "fuck it, just put a bigger turbo on it and crank the boost" instead of giving it a finely honed chassis or some trick torque vectoring diff.

but it has heaps of grip and a lsd

just give it more gas in a corner and it sticks

Golf GTD with a sequential turbo puts everything to shame lmao

The S1 has awd, and a pretty damn gud system at that. It's also a B segment whereas OP's are all C segment

>tfw sudacas only got the 8v GSi
so sad that it actually hurts a little

The FN2 is awful stock but with suspension tunes and other bits it can be a very good car. Still generally inferior to the EP3 though

This guy knows exactly what's up. Up the fucking diesel!

The FD2 was so much better tho. The FN2 is a pos next to it

t. v6 Charger just got btfo by a turbo'd hothatch while taking his wife's son to baseball practice.

this desu

what do you guys think about the hyundai i30n?

>you look like a manchild
Funnily that's what I think whenever I see a brightly colored Camaro.

>hyundai

those are just as gay

This UGLY son of a BITCH is going 0-100 in 6.3 seconds and basically your 4 cylinder is fucking stupid.

I just want a V8 rwd hatchback

*ok sir that'll be $5000 to fix some wires*

>ANY Italian design
>not aesthetic perfection

The Autodelta version with the 3.2 tuned to 3.7 liters is a fucking monster

carscoops.com/2007/05/autodelta-alfa-romeo-147-gta-am-37/

youtube.com/watch?v=_OhlWX07szA

>422hp
>fwd
Wtf

>6.3 seconds
Lmao a golf gtd with a couple of simple mods gets 4

>what are gear ratios
Get out.

The essence of hot hatch is also affordability, of which none of the already mentioned lives up to it....

Please step back when I /thread with the only right answer...

The base 147 GTA Autodelta (the one in that article is a 147 GTA AM) had 328 hp with a new limited slip differential (the standard Alfa Romeo Q2 is a plug and play piece and it can be fitted to literally every single 147/156/GT etc..) and new suspension setup.

It managed to lap the top gear track faster than an Impreza sti and M3

youtu.be/gk05om58NHY

>amerisugars talking about hot hatches

The 147 was a monstrous car and the Busso is the best V6 ever made.

Even a standard 147 1.6 model handled godly with the best steering I've ever experienced in a non sports car. The same goes for the 156.

And these were built under Fiat...but the memes are stronger and to many people Alfa Romeo equals shit.

fwd equals shit for the most part though.

>fwd equals shit for the most part though.
>t. carless benchracer who spouts shit to sound cool

>trying to deny that FWD is objectively shit from a performance perspective

Chassis matters more than driven wheels from a performance perspective

>oh man another post where some faggot has a conniption over whether which drive train is best as if its the only thing about the car

yeah tell that to Nissan.
nobody uses fwd in performance cars because it is too limiting.

No one uses it probably because the rules have either limited or banned it. Its like AWD was banned from races because other makers couldn't do good against quattro so they lobbied to remove it

youtube.com/watch?v=p10m0Jdk8tc

The same with CVT's in Formula 1, they aren't allowed to use CVT's because the rules demand they use a specific transmission only

But fwd is allowed in lemans (where the nissan was btfo)
AWD was banned because it actually had advantages unlike fwd.
are you seriously claiming that race cars would have an unfair advantage if they were FWD?

that car isn't fwd

>But fwd is allowed in lemans (where the nissan was btfo)
probably as an extension to AWD

>where the nissan was btfo
they obviously didn't make a good car, homing in on the drive train is a pointless endeavor because there are so many things about a car that could make it lose. You could easily make the same uninformed assumption about Ford's v6 ecoboost and chevy's v8 in that same race and say "oh well v8's are terrible look how bad chevy did"

>AWD was banned because it had advantages
no if you watch the video the other race makers lobbied the rule makers to ban it because they kept losing. They're literally sore losers and couldn't compete with audi.

>are you seriously claiming that race cars would have an unfair advantage if they were FWD?
No I'm saying often times in races they may be inadvertently not allowed to use FF because the rules may demand they're only allowed to use RWD or something

Then explain this, just to keep talking about Alfa.

FWD btfoing an AWD Audi on wet road:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=D5WorCew850

FWD 155 doing a madman pole position lap:

youtube.com/watch?v=qA2P0tiQJdM

oh man its almost like the drive train isn't the only feature on a car!

>quattro too good

Nigger what?

The RWD 037 wrecked the quattro's ass and when every other manufacturer introduced its own AWD car then the Quattro has been btfo'd by everyone.

It's a meme car at its best, even its drivers talked shit about it (Walter rohrl said it was undrivable since they had to pump insane hp figures to be somewhat competitive, not to talk about the go kar like space between front and rear tires)