Anyone know why the BRZ has a lower reliability rating then the 86?

Anyone know why the BRZ has a lower reliability rating then the 86?

I though they were the same car manufactured in the same plant?

Other urls found in this thread:

bimmerboost.com/content.php?7348-BMW-ignores-the-F80-M3-F84-S55-engine-crank-hub-issue-and-is-it-the-worst-BMW-M3-production-engine-defect-of-all-time
f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159393
forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=c21252dbef8d3e99583f323e460f0457&t=1046742
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I noticed the same thing looking at FRS vs. BRZ, which are also the same car except for some trim bits. I assume it's to do with small sample size or people complaining about a particular rattle or quirk or whatever.

Toyota vs Subaru

they're both subarus

the flat 4 doesn't lie

If you take a wrench to one or even just look at the specs you'll see they reused a whole bunch of Subaru throughout the design.

Wasn't Toyota badged in the US until Scion died, resulting is a smaller sample size primarily of later production models (after the kinks have been worked out).

There are some Subaru-only parts on the BRZ, hence the difference in reliability.

They're both Toybarus.

To keep everything right in the world, they made the Subaru models with less quality control.

there's pretty much no toyota in the car

its all subaru

Honestly why does t Toyota not put a i6 with two fuckhuge turbos in it and call it the supra

Toyota funded the car, Subaru built it.
TLDR: It's not a real Toyota.

Because fun is rapidly becoming illegal.

that's for rich people now kids

I think this guy has a point.

Something about engine packaging and hood lines allegedly. I don't see what stops Toyota from making a whole new car to call a Supra since they seem intent on leaving this as more of a babby's first sporty car.

I'd potentially buy one. BRZ is turning out to be more of a study in what I would and would not be willing to pay more to get next time around.

Price jumps up to at least $40k for that. They want this to be a foot in the door sports car.

stick a supercharger in it and squeeze out 40 more horsepower and it's fine
it was never meant to be a speedy GT car like the Supra, it has a lot more in common with Nissan's old slowmobiles

The head and injection systems are toyota's afaikfamalamsenpai.

you know they're making another supra yeah?

I wanted to write, that makes a whole lotta sense, but then I spaghetti'd it.

you mean BMW is ruining the next "supra" with their garbage engines

I've heard rumors but haven't been paying attention. I'm still not quite sure what exactly I really want though. The BRZ has a frustrating way of being "well, actually, maybe I could just get tune+headers and it's cheap enough I don't have to be super careful with it."

I'll have to plan on doing some test driving.

I'd recommend against buying a new one, I'm a tech at subaru and they have some problems.
ff you get a used one you can procharge it and get 50% more car for the same price

Yeah, I picked mine up used. It has condensation in the tail lights as expected, which I don't care about anyway. The rest has been rock solid so far, even in terms of not rattles and squeaks.

Neat little car that I don't mind having fun in while I think about what I might want to do next time.

Plot twist
It gets an ecoboost V6

The S55 is one of the best engines ever made.
But okay.

because there are more maybe? wasn't the deal that for every 100 of one sold the other could only sell 50 or some shit?

it was always for rich people. Supras didn't come cheap when they were new either.

An user made a shop of this very concept, that being a modern Supra with design ques from the GT86 a few weeks ago and it looked very good.

bimmerboost.com/content.php?7348-BMW-ignores-the-F80-M3-F84-S55-engine-crank-hub-issue-and-is-it-the-worst-BMW-M3-production-engine-defect-of-all-time

f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1159393

forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=c21252dbef8d3e99583f323e460f0457&t=1046742

sure

That's exactly what the fucking GT86 was made to rectify. It perplexes me how a low-power sports car is such a radical concept to Veeky Forums, considering all of the cars you like to meme constantly. It's actually too powerful in my opinion. 130-150 bhp would've been fine.

I keep having to remind people.

Toyota WOULD increase power if they COULD. They made an agreement not to add power unless Subaru did first.

Subaru doesn't want the 86 to eat into it's WRX/STI sales.

It's painfully obvious when you remember that manufacturing numbers for the Toyota is way higher than the Subaru.

Isn't it auto with paddles only and AWD too, or was that made up?

>130-150
D:

I'm not saying that a cheap little sporty car with that kind of power wouldn't be fun, or that I wouldn't maybe get one, but the way the 86 is set up that would just be an absolute buzzkill. It's sort of "just right" as an entry level car in that it has just enough oomph to make you lust for more.

presumably, considering the current trends, and a hybrid setup. god is dead.

Most of the reliability scores like JD Power and the Reliability index are subjective polls of owners, and are often skewed by brand perception, making them next to useless.

The only part differences are trim.

The bonnet line would need to be significantly higher to pass crash tests.

>The only part differences are trim.
Early Toyota versions had stiffer spring rates in the rear. I'd kind of like to try that since it seems like a good idea at first when you're on the street, but then you also remember how easy it is for the rear to pop free when you weren't trying to do that.

Reliability ratings is based on user experiences.

This is the main issue with the ratings, different demographics buy different cars. More boy racers buy the BRZ and crash them or rev the piss out of them, they have more problems. And it gets more low reliability scores.

A good example is with Luxury brands. Direct rebadges (VW/ Auid, Ford/Lincoln, Dodge/Chrysler) the luxury brands have better ratings because their buyers take care of them more.

I think that only lasted 2 years before the Subaru setup became standard

Something like that yeah. I still can't quite put my finger on what's wrong with the rear end. It lacks composure. Might just be a design flaw. Possibly my (pre-farted) rear shocks are just beat up already, but the Subaru stock setup does seem to be pretty apt for staying neutral and predictable when getting street hektic at least.

I wish.

This user knows what he talks about.

They are sold at different dealerships. The 86 is a normie car sold to the 20 something when they are turning in their leased camry. The BRZ is gonna be bought by Subaru owners, who are hard on vehicles.

This is the dumbest post I've read in a long time, don't bump dead threads with such foolishness

but it's true

>The bonnet line would need to be significantly higher to pass crash tests.
Would a flat 6 fit? A Porsche engine would transform the car

Stop with this hoodline defense. Having a better engine and balance should always trump looks

I've seen it speculated that you might be able to wedge one of Subaru's H6s in there, but I don't know if anybody has tried that or a Porsche H6. That'd be pretty neat either way.

whats with this higher bonnet nonsense?

Yeah, I am sure it will fit, m8.

proof that toyota could put one of their far superior engines in the gt86 but a shitty subaru turd has to be in there instead

He's not wrong

But why? The wrx/sti is a performance AWD hatch/sedan. The BRZ is a RWD coup.

The two are literally marketed to different kinds of people.

yep
A BRZ STi would be a competitor to the 230i or lower end pony cars, not the Impreza

Not to mention that last I checked, the fucking outback sold more than the wrx/sti

They could, but that car won't be costing $25-30k if they up the engine to something like a twin turbo straight 6.

even if it had a turbo 4 toyota engine it would be much better

the ez30 would fit in there no problem, the problem is its basically a 6 cylinder EJ motor so the oil pan is way too low for these cars

A supercharged 2ZZ would be better

It's not big enough

I work at a Subaru dealership in the great white Northern states, the Outback is our bread and butter

Cars a little bit heavy for it, a 2gr-fe (the 3.5 v6 ) on the other hand would be amazing. Huge torque and reliability gains.

They're the same car. It's just people perceiving the brands differently

I'm about to buy a 2013 or 2014 FR-S soon and I'm so excited. I've watched just about every video I can find on them on Youtube. Cannot wait to take one on some back roads,

Same

Buying the 2018 GT trim.

Just wish they announced a release date.

Theyre fun. I feel like its time to invest in some basic bolt ons though.