/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/Main_Page

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (Speccy screenshot), operating system, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

READ THE WIKI BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS LIKE:
>Where do I get games
OR
>Where do I get Nintendo games
OR
>Where do I get PS3 games
OR
>Where do I get 3DS games
OR
>Where do I get games
OR
>What is the best emulator for...

Check out the wiki for the emulator you're using if you run into trouble, there may be a solution there too, often including recommendations for optimal game settings.

Remember to submit bug reports or shit won't get fixed.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=rview&goto=5129&th=1575#msg_5129
youtube.com/watch?v=HwZTyhmFgJo
github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/commits/master
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Doom3-Available
github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/0ece8b1319a617de6cfb3913696095c69dbaaf78
github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1544
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First !

Top Systems with bad emulators:
1. Nintendo 64
2. Playstation 2
3. Dreamcast

New mednafen is out
forum.fobby.net/index.php?t=rview&goto=5129&th=1575#msg_5129

You were already told how to fix this. Stop being such a fucking retard.

>1. Nintendo 64
better than DS emulation..

Mostly not much of anything.

Both are really bad

>2. Playstation 2
The next version of hps2x64 will fix that

>hps2x64

I'll be dead when the next version arrive

DS emulation is not that bad. Give some actual examples(with pictures), and don't just spout 'muh zeromus', 'muh sabotage', 'muh made up pokemon conspiracies'.

>Give some actual examples
DeSmeMe till uses floating point arithmetic instead of fixed point..

Then there's the fact that performance is so bad that you're better off running Drastic on an android emulator.. Can't wait for him to open source DS emulation, so that it can finally be saved..

>'muh made up pokemon conspiracies'
Aren't they still broken?

>DeSmeMe till uses floating point arithmetic instead of fixed point..
Which only causes some rendering issues in a few games. Most games can be fixed by enabling the 'txt hack'.

>Then there's the fact that performance is so bad
Works fine here with the JIT on and set to block size 12.

>Aren't they still broken?
No problems here.

Is it actually possible to play Persona 5 all the way through? I can get through the intro cutscene but then I hit what looks like a train scrolling by and it fucks up.

there's some vid on jewtube just before the last boss, so unless it's imported save from ps3, you can probably finish it

alright, but how? my machine is better than most of those they talk about but it barely runs

post your specs and settings

Why would I need to post my specs? I'm just asking if it's playable or not.

Retarded...

kill yourself retard

Right now I'm trying to run it with all three renderer types, and have everything set to Fast, but still get huge drags on most everything.

that's a new IP, you got baited

kys retard

>can't post 10k screenshots here
why even live

SP must pay for his crimes.

emulation was fun

was

This so much!

set the SPU theads to 2

thanks

bump

Say somethig about SP or thread dies

I only get 12 fps on the main menu though. What gives?

SP must pay for his crimes (you too muddy)
Shitty CPU?

i7 6700k?

If you replace the driver that Dolphin needs for native support on Windows, you lose native support. Such is life in Windowsland.

So, melonDS is stuck because the dev needs to finish some work before coming back to the emulator... oh boy...

>>My guess is that on real hardware no exception handler is called during the execution of the function 0x806195d0 but as we are using a hack for the cycle count it could explain why it's happening on the emulator.
And? This is not a real N64. N64 emulators handle timing completely differently (and completely wrongly, but that's another issue). This change is not a "hack", per se.

>Besides, that flickering issue never even happened on PJ64.
It did, actually. That's why SP Hack was disabled for Factor 5 titles in PJ64, Indiana Jones in particular. Plus dynamic block linking was disabled.

youtube.com/watch?v=HwZTyhmFgJo
>so hard to find a video with settings

>DeSmeMe till uses floating point arithmetic instead of fixed point.
This is one of those things where it's not quite as accurate, depending on how the console was designed, but it generally doesn't cause that many problems.

>This change is not a "hack", per se.
You must have an interesting definition for hacks then :) .

>This is not a real N64. N64 emulators handle timing completely differently (and completely wrongly, but that's another issue).
They shouldn't make such "workarounds" global. Very bad idea imo. It should stay game-specific.

>It did, actually. That's why SP Hack was disabled for Factor 5 titles in PJ64, Indiana Jones in particular.
Well that would be for a totally different reason. I've never seen the flicker in PJ64 for Rogue Squadron and it has ABL & Fast SP enabled. I think the problem with Indiana Jones is that almost no one plays it, especially devs. That's why you'll see that no CPU recompiler works as it should for the game.

>They shouldn't make such "workarounds" global. Very bad idea imo. It should stay game-specific.
Why? It's a more accurate behavior that potentially fixes a wide range of games.
>I've never seen the flicker in PJ64 for Rogue Squadron and it has ABL & Fast SP enabled.
I have.

>Why? It's a more accurate behavior that potentially fixes a wide range of games.
Because it assumes that's always the case, when I highly doubt that's true on console. Unless you can show me documented proof that it MUST always switch back to 32bit mode beforehand.

>I have.
That's interesting because even logan was unable to reproduce the issue.. How do you reproduce it on PJ64?

>That's interesting because even logan was unable to reproduce the issue.. How do you reproduce it on PJ64?
You just play the game long enough. It's either slight geometry flickering or X-Wings flying into the ground. Take your pick.

>The ePSXe interereter is actually worse than the dynarec,
that almost certainly means they're using per-game hacks then. No good reason to have a dynarec that's faster than interpreter.

>Not that I know of, but then the interpreter might not be perfect either since I recall people complaining about crashes on Suikoden with interpreter and there's probably other games that break in it..
Alright. I'll have to find some sort of compatibility list and go from there. I'm considering porting some of mednafen's accurate code to PCSX. I just need to find out which stuff is necessary to implement for commercial games.

>The default PCSXR plugin implements an option to the framelimiter that isn't actually based on VFPS or whatever you call it but actual rendered frames
Good idea Tbh.

>If it's done that way I'd assume there's a reason
I'm sure they are just trying to go for accuracy. Some games might really require very accurate timing. I just would prefer to optimize for common cases and I guess have accuracy as a fallback for games that really need it. I definitely wouldn't want to emulate slowdowns in most cases.

>every video of persona 5 in rpcs3 uses dub voices

Rogue Squadron code has been made public.

github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/commits/master

They used Lemmy's work as a base, but they've gone much further. The code for rendering explosions and terrain is absurdly complex and large.

>code for rendering explosions and terrain is absurdly complex
only complex for amateurs

It's literally one of the most complex and longwinded bits of microcode programming ever done for the N64. Factor 5 were gods.

>It's literally one of the most complex and longwinded bits of microcode programming ever done for the N64.
Perhaps. But at the end of the day, microcode is just a group of assembly instructions. It's handwritten so the code should actually make more sense than looking at compiled code.

If they thought Rogue Squadron was hard, good luck with Indian Jones / Naboo..

I don't think it's necessarily "hard", but rather time consuming.

shoo shoo whinno

fair enough. it is indeed time consuming.

Can we make a Dolphin bingo?

>game has low framerate for no discernible reason regardless of settings
>framerate changes between play sessions with no settings changed
>devs announce some huge or amazing development that ends up having no impact on performance
>devs announce some huge or amazing development that ends up having a negative impact on performance
>devs ignore the existence of a well known issue
>devs deny the existence of a well known issue
>increasing resolution causes graphical glitch

What am I missing?

>What am I missing?
Entitled end user.

>Dolphin goes 3 or more days without a commit
>devs waste time fixing a game nobody is ever going to play

>commit causes a regression that is never addressed
>devs promise a feature that is never delivered
>devs begin work that is ultimately abandoned for no reason

>on a whim, devs add feature that users have been asking for for years

>3rd party game is utterly broken
>misleading use of the fact that Dolphin boots every NGC game

>progress report discusses changes to the UI because not enough actual progress has been made to fill said report

>shilling of external hardware instead of just implementing the already existing WM+ emulation

When has SP appeared in the emulation scene anyway? I've been following it since around 2006 but I only learned of his existence from this thread like two years ago

Around 2010 when the PS jailbreak hit he and some other guy who I forgot the name of ported emulators to the PS3.

Man I remember hacking my PS3 using that payload with a ipod video with rockbox installed.
Good times.

He was in the PS3 jailbreak scene first. Then he and Maister met up and made a frontend for bsnes, which spun into the Retroarch project.

TI-84 Plus reporting in. Fun times indeed, too bad it never seemed to go as far as the PSP scene.

Are Raspberry Pi consoles /emugen/?

If Squarepusher wanted to impress people, instead of wasting time with a shitty tomb raider port Doom 3 would be far more impressive.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Vulkan-Doom3-Available

Themaister made first version of SSNES without notdaniel, after byuu made libsnes API.

He started working on porting SSNES to PS3 on November 29, 2011

github.com/libretro/RetroArch/commit/0ece8b1319a617de6cfb3913696095c69dbaaf78

Can we play emulators on the Nintendo Switch yet?

has anyone had issues where their saves on pcsx2 get corrupted by Burnout 3
i couldnt find anything on it apart from old posts about memory card issues on an actual ps2

themaister started working on ssnes in April 2010.

I'm looking through google play, and I see something called Androgens.

anyone know how it works?
how well it is to get games?

I want to see if I can play shining force 2 on my phone

It would be better to wait for it to be merged into RBDoom3BFG first.

github.com/gonetz/GLideN64/issues/1544

Is cycle accuracy a meme? I honestly don't see any benefits of switching when all the games I have work just fine on Snes9X.

Try playing Doom in 9x

Wait, so how far behind is libretro's version of GLideN64? I went back to early July, and for some batty reason, SP was backporting (roughly) GLideN64's Acclaim ucode work to Glide64, which is a dumb idea because Glide64 runs the Turok games like shit.

Download the latest GlideN64 master and see for yourself

Also, last I checked libretro's version of Glide64 couldn't even do framebuffer effects anymore.

Why would someone play DOOM on a SNES emulator when you could easily play any of the source ports that exist?

I think you might be missing the point here

I'm not, I'm trying to find reasons to use Higan/bsnes but I'm not finding any.

>Is cycle accuracy a meme? I honestly don't see any benefits of switching when all the games I have work just fine
>Try this game
>No I'm trying to find reasons to use Higan

What's your endgoal?

Seems like they're trying to help you understand the point of cycle accuracy.

>Aren't they still broken?
Not overall, but HG/SS still freezes, from what I've heard.

If you one as a console, I see nothing wrong in calling it a console.

>If you use one
Fixed that for me.

Is it currently possible for me to emulate pokemon sun or moon with citra and play the whole way through the game?

>for some batty reason, SP was backporting (roughly) GLideN64's Acclaim ucode work to Glide64, which is a dumb idea because Glide64 runs the Turok games like shit.
Obviously SP has a heart and wants emulation to be an enjoyable experience for users with low end hardware. How is he supposed to achieve that goal if he shouldn't bother improving Glide64?

>Is cycle accuracy a meme?
pretty much. I think it's mostly useful for just homebrew/rom hacking.

Higan's code is poorly optimised, so it isn't ideal for playing commercial games.

>spam inline all over the code base
>20% speed increase

wew lad

The game freezes if you have 6 Pokémon in the battle against Cuckui, that aside yes, it's supposedly beatable.

>using desmume
>load savestate I accidentally made right after the game saved
>it overrides my current save
>lost 15 hours of progress
What did I do to deserve this.

>low end hardware
Right, Win 98 users with Voodoo 3 are very important.

You've used DeSmuME

Rpcs3 optimization when?!

son, floating point causes serious problems with graphics.. floating point hackery is likely responsible for things like the infamous LLE triangles bug in z64gl, GLideN64, and Glide64..

It's also likely responsible for some of the HLE exclusive bugs. There's absolutely no good reason to use floating point if you don't care about supporting older hardware..

>Right, Win 98 users with Voodoo 3 are very important.
Who is important? You?

Well yeah I guess you're right, I do deserve it. Well atleast now I have an excuse to try out something else, I'm honestly not feeling like continuing after losing all that progress.

>There's absolutely no good reason to use floating point
IIRC from a Dolphin blog post where they dealt with the same issue, modern GPU don't support integer math, it has to be floating point. So hardware renderers have to deal with floating point one way or another. In software renderers it doesn't make sense to use FP at all if it's not needed because it's worse performance and less accuracy for no gain whatsoever.