Discussion

What are your opinions on the long term reliability of engines that come with turbochargers and superchargers or sometimes even both together?

>What are your opinions on the long term reliability of engines that come with turbochargers and superchargers or sometimes even both together?
Depends on build quality, maintainance and how the owner drives it.

A 2JZ with stretched oil change intervalls being pushed over 1000 hp cold will not last.
A well maintained old red brick that gets warmed up before it gets pushed will last forever.

I'd never own one. It's simple physics. I'll take big detuned V8s all day.

Semis can make it 1million miles. Not all of them, but if you take care of, it should.

I prefer naturally aspirated but those are becoming rarer these days. Turbos can actually make an engine run cleaner and pass emissions tests slightly easier. Now I dont know if that equates to more miles to the gallon, but you would think so.

If you're not pushing some insane power from a small displacement, and you always remember to cool the turbo and warm the engine before hard use, they're absolutely fine.

Doing god's work user.

FUCK. OFF. TRIPFAG. MODS PLEASE BAN THIS FUCKER

Anyway, I feel like if you keep it stock and keep up with oil changes you'll be fine. It's not hard to make an engine last 250k miles...

>I dont know if that equates to more miles to the gallon
It's sort of a catch 22, on paper a turbo would be more efficient mpg, but the people who have them aren't known for driving them economically either.

I am sorry but if you are the individual who spams the dreadful pasta then I have to say there is an unfortunate future here ahead of you.

I am hard pressed to find a decent sedan these days that isn't turbo-ed. I wonder what the results would be when driven normally by the general populace. Maybe since everyone rives an auto these days, it would all balance out compared to a naturally aspirated manual.

I'm glad Honda brought turbos to the US. They will be some long lasting turboed engines

I cant see them holding up to they're larger displacement counterparts. I don't have much experience with small turbo vehicles, but ecoboost f150s seem to be everywhere. But I have a hard time imagining a high strung 2.7l ecoboost is still going to be chugging along at 350k miles while a 5.0 truck would have no problem doing this with less maintenence

Apples and oranges, You cant compare a 500hp turbo diesel semi engine to a high strung forced induction gasser in a commuter car. Most semis are detuned from the factory anyway. The engines are capable of far more power than what they put out.

Literally the hero we need, never give up you son of a bitch.

>1.0 liter twincharged engines making 300hp
Their life expectance is so short that they don't even end up on the used market.

You are spot on there, even the new GT isn't safe. 700HP from an aspirated V6 is putting a good amount of stress on that engine. Noone is going to be daily driving a GT so I dont expect it to be a problem, but it's not going to fair well against GM corvettes down the line who have been known to push well over half a million.

>Volvo actually selling twincharged vehicles to the public
Why have I not heard about this until now? And how can Volvo be so fucking based?

I remember a specific ad on TV that advertised this several probably up to 5 years ago by now. It was on the predecessor to the current model. Very tidy looking, if a little pricey for what you get. I have always been fan of Volvo.

too bad its a fucking suv

if they twincharged a small light coupe id be all over that shit

>Le simple physics meme

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my job to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Completely understand your preference of naturally aspirated for reliability reasons, but don't know what you mean by physics.

If you are referring to the sudden torque problem with a turbo, then I believe that would be negated with a bi-aspiration system as in many cases, the supercharger picks up the slack. Or at least that was the case the last time I checked.

Undersized, stressed engines will not last as long as larger unstressed engines. The new Hyundai Tucson has a 1.6 turbo engine that has to move 3500lbs of steel.

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Veeky Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my job to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

They will be easy enough to care for if you CHANGE THE FUCKING OIL.

Many owners are retarded and the bearings in turbos (and mechanical blowers but less critical) like clean oil.

t.mechanic

Note turbos on diesel trucks live many, many miles without attention. I would avoid variable geometry turbos which were a disaster on Powerstrokes, but otherwise go for it.

They've got it in the S60 and V60, but yea a twincharged hot hatch would be tits.

>VGT mechanical system not responding or out of adjustment

Changed so many Cummins tarbos and actuators

I think he's talking about the fact that the engine is detuned, not merely that it's NA.