Dutch people I need your help

How do you survive as an aut/o/ enthusiast in your country?

What car or motorcycle do you drive?
How much do you pay in road tax (motorrijtuigenbelasting?)
How much is the APK?
How much is the insurance?

Also if you ride a bike, how expensive are motorcycle lessons?

I already know how to ride, so it would just be the road behavior stuff. I never bothered to get a license in my country.

--------------

Currently contemplating whether I should get a cheap old car (pre 1978) to avoid road tax. I wouldn't really use it all that much. I'd commute by motorcycle.

t. random dude who end up in your country by accident

Other urls found in this thread:

wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0005806/2018-01-01
swov.nl/en/facts-figures/factsheet/motorcyclists
d3e70618m1iwjk.cloudfront.net/67/176428/73RKJ9_1_6.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=q3WdxhXlLpc
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

You just have to like shitboxes, like me. I'm 18 and saving up for a car right now, but even if I get something that isn't even fast like a E36 323i sedan I will get fucked by insurance. Think I might get a cheap shitbox as first car since I'm such a shit driver that I'll probably crash it anyway. Looking for RWD though so probably something like a Opel Omega or Ford Sierra which are both hilariously cheap.
When you get older insurance isn't that bad, for an older car you could go with less than 500 a year if you check well.
But actual taxes aren't that bad, between 500 a year for econobox and 2000 a year for a heavy SUV. APK is pretty much a non-issue since you can pay some Romanian 20 bucks to let you pass.

Well, I mean road tax isn't bad. Taxes on new cars are trough the roof, Subaru WRX STi in the Netherlands is literally double as expensive as in Belgium due to road tax. Same for Mustang etc.
And this is reflected in second hand car prices of course.
But road tax etc not too bad

>Taxes on new cars are trough the roof, Subaru WRX STi in the Netherlands is literally double as expensive as in Belgium due to road tax.
That's BPM, or CO2/emissions tax. Only applies to new cars, which is why there's so many fucking Aygos/C1s/107s on the road around here.
And Teslas, since EVs don't have to pay any road tax at all and don't get shafted by any additional taxes new other than 21% BTW/VAT.

I commute to my uni by bike. Alot of professors do as well, pic related, most of the R1200gs in there are from physicians and professors (med student here)

I have pirelli angel GT tyres which warm up nicely, have very devent mileage lifetime, and all around gud grip. Grip warmers are noice for warm and toasty hands. I tend to ride as long as its above -5. Obviously not if there's snow or black ice or that shit but NL has comfy all year round weather. Filtering is allowed and encouraged, just don't be a retard and go full speed between the lanes. People in cars tend to be social. If one fucks up while you're filtering, just wait for a sec, they'll apologize with the hand wave thingie 99% of the time. Don't go full snowcat on car people, that gives fellow bikers a bad name.

Road taxes are standard 10 bucks er month for all bikes. I have 7 years without claims so my insurance is realy cheap, like 14 euros for all risk.

Bikes do not have the apk or annual check, hence so many straight piped or decatted bikes.

I spent 1100 on my license but I already had a car license and dirt bike experience.

Cars though? You will fuggin BLEED if you want anything nice. We have a co2 luxury tax, which for example makes the mustang GT cost 120k+. Sub 2L cars aren't too bad. I only import cars though, I don't buy them here. My father in law has a one man company and uses a tax loophole to drive a fuckhueg F150 on LPG. Lpg is 60 cents per kg or so, road tazes are only 50 bucks per 3 months due to the loophole. Lpg and diesel cars cost quite a penny in road taxes, especially the heavier ones

Yes registration tax on new cars is based on co2 emissions:

wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0005806/2018-01-01

Article 9.

Veeky Forumstist better import a used car from another country within the EU into NL, you'll be able to get lower registration tax (article 10).

Whoa, biking is THAT much cheaper? I was discouraged from getting a bike and license because DDing a bike is guaranteed to go wrong someday according to all the Americlaps here, but shit, this seems so worth it, both for money and for speed. Not to mention how attractive decatting is. Is being a biker here safe enough to DD it?

>americlaps
Lmao m8
To be serious though, people here are more social in traffic, atleast where I live (Groningen). I always filter when I attend college, in 2 years so far I've only ever encountered some boomers, audi q5 cucks and trophy wives who try to block the path. Once I had a cop filtering behind me on a G800gs who fined that perspn lmao. Bike cops are total bros. Like I said, don't be retarded, don't sperg like snowcat, be kind and wave back, thank car owners for letting you pass if they make extra space. In my opinion audi a6 owners tend to be dadbros and most will make extra room even if you already have enough space. Just filter with 5-15 kph difference but no more.

Protip: watch out for elderly on E-bikes regardless of your vehicle, they are a fucking menace. I hit one once, by default the motor vehicle owner is supposed to be 100% liable but after some court shit I proved I did nothing wrong

Captcha right now fucking kek

>Groningen
Wait, there are more of us here?

I've met a total of 7 groninger Veeky Forumstists so far

Thanks for the info, I'll seriously consider biking now I think. Sounds ideal in this motoring hellhole.
I guess you do have a point with people being more social here, I always see bikes filtering and nobody minds. Personally I make some extra room too.

>How do you survive as an aut/o/ enthusiast in your country?
By being rich
>What car or motorcycle do you drive?
R1150GS
'99 Corolla compact
>How much do you pay in road tax (motorrijtuigenbelasting?)
€520/y (€400 car, €120 bike)
>How much is the APK?
I have no clue never had one, car is due in October, bought it a week after it had one. Bikes don't have checks.
>How much is the insurance?
€800/y (€600 car, €200 bike)
>Also if you ride a bike, how expensive are motorcycle lessons?
Around €50 a lesson with ease.
>I already know how to ride, so it would just be the road behavior stuff. I never bothered to get a license in my country.
That would be around €700 to get a license, how old are you?

driving anything remotely fast will cost you a fortune
t. slow shitbox owner

Only because it's likely to be heavy (= lots of road tax) and drinks a lot of fuel, and if you're young it'll send your insurance through the roof.

how bad is the motorcycle insurance for a beginner? does it depend alot on what motorcycle you have? (old/new fast/slow)

I pay just less than €200 a year.
>25y/o
>19y/o bike
>85hp
>new price €16K
>only have an insurance for 3 years

Pretty good I would say

Been to NL few times and wanted to ask Dutch guys, are small cars part of why Dutch has low birth rate? Lithuania probably has more minivans then Netherlands (2,8min vs 17mil pop).
and is there any good speed camera apps? because I see ton speed cameras, but going on speed limit, almost everyone overtakes me by 20-30km/h and I saw you get a lot fines 9-10mil a year, so people don't give a fuck and pay fines or know when cameras are on and off?

also cute to see kids that can barely walk and already drive a Bicycle.

>are small cars part of why Dutch has low birth rate?
No, high fuel prices and taxes are. You can still fit a family of 5 in a Toyota Aygo.

>and is there any good speed camera apps?
Flitsmeister and they announce them on the radio.
TomTomGo (and probably a lot of other satnav systems/programs) also knows about them.

Just follow the flow of traffic and you're fine.

Doesn't sound so bad. For example:

>Approximately 40% of all serious and fatal motorcycle crashes in the Netherlands are single vehicle crashes

So if you don't drive like a dickhead you are already much safer than the statistics show.

Also don't ride a moped (look at the graphs on the bottom).

>The largest group are the 40-49-year-old motorcyclists (almost 30%).

So like, those Sunday riders on their 1960s era bikes? Kind of makes sense.

>shit helmets
>no other protection
>drum brakes galore
>old fart reactions
>always with a pillion rider (their wife presumably) so always a 2 for 1 kind of deal

25 y/o
7 claimless years
Ride a 2010 dorsoduro 750, the one in the 4th post
My all risk is 14-ish euro per month as of this year. Having a license for less than 5 years, or being below 25 y/o will result in being a risk so you'll pay quite some money for a newer bike's insurance. I started ot with a 97 ER-5 lmao, it was only 7 euros per month for liability. I'm looking at A license bikes now, their insurance rates vary quite some. The rice rocket 1L bikes are hefty compared to say, the 1290 Super Duke R even though the latter can do similar laptimes and has fuckhueg torks (144 Nm)

Fucking toothpastes

>aygo
>5
Since when? I'm pretty sure all A segment tin cans are 4 seaters aside from that one opel car, the adam or karl? You point still stands though. We (dutch strongest man crew) frequently go from friesland to amsterdam in a 107. Sure it takes a long time to accelerate but it seems to seat 4 1.88m+ adults weighing between 90 and 130kg just fine

Huh, never knew biking was so safe here. I don't drive like a retard so that should help keep me out of the 40%. Thanks for the info.

I thought they had 3 seatbelts in the back, thus able to accommodate a family of 5.
I'm not saying 5 adults, unless you put a few euro's on the rear seat.

Any small city car can fit 5 people utilizing the Dutch concept of gezelligheid.

>gezelligheid.
Gierigheid

dat vooral ja

I get what you mean bruhs but afaik there's only 2 seat belts in the back. Atleast, for the 2005-2014 gen of the 107/aygo/c1

d3e70618m1iwjk.cloudfront.net/67/176428/73RKJ9_1_6.jpg

^ that car, pic related is it's RDW information. It says 4 seats. Maybe it's just some edition or some model years, idk

I was wondering this too, currently saving up for my first bike and I'm planning on buying a brand new BMW s1000RR, anyone have experience with this bike and payments? I know that I have to pay 6-7k upfront and then I pay 250 a month for about 3 years for the rest but what are the insurance/tax/maintenance going to run on average per month?

>Toyota Aygo for 5 people
that's not how it works

to fit family you need space for (if 5 seat)
>seat 2 adults in front and 3 people with legs in back
>pram and other baby stuff
>baby seat (-1 seat)
>kids backpacks, gym clothes and other kid stuff
>your stuff
>???
>and after all then you should have space for groceries and other things after shopping
if no, then it's no a family car, but just a 5 seater.

in NL there a lot 4-5 seater cars, but almost 0 family cars.
was impressed how comfy back seats are on newer cars compared to old cars, but in exchange they have 0 cargo space.

>tax
10 eurobucks per month
>insurance
From laughably low to quite a penny. Age, area (postal code), claimless years, number of years with a license?
>maintenance
How much do you want to do yourself? Set aside 1k per year for regular maintenance. I do everything except valve clearance so it saves a little bit of cash. Factor in tyres, you can go from 2500 km per (rear) tyre all the way to 15k+

Also,
>not buying an rsv4

Have you ever seen that girl in the white armour? She used to be a med student but now she is mostly at Zernike.

>not being familiar with dutch greediness/frugality
Lmao m8

Have people keep stuff on their lap such as their own shit and groceries
Cram everything in the front passenger footwell

That is surprisingly normal here

The one with black touring leather pants, mostly white leather jacket with a floral pattern, white floral helmet, blue ER5?

There should be a car scene for frugal people.

I actually admire the frugality in budget cars/motorcycles.

Maybe I'm just weird though.

I did not see her riding an ER5. But otherwise yes.

She is super super short and ginger, if we are talking about the same person.

Hmm nah, the one I talked to was a 1.75m-ish dark blonde. 1.75m is still short in the north lmao.

One of my fellow med students, the absolute madman, has a 107 with a supercharger. Apparently it's a 5k kit that brings 0-100 kph down to 7 seconds, from 13.7 originally

OK we are talking about different people. This one is remarkably short ~155cm, just as short as those Indonesia girls. That why I commented about her. Even her tiny sports bike looked massive near her.

She is also 27 or 28 years old, by now.

Damn, that's pretty cheap, I expected atleast 5x that price for the taxes. This motivated me to start saving even more to get this bike already.

What about the RSV4 btw?

Well all bikes have a standardized 10 eurobucks per month road tax, hence my post
>What about the RSV4 btw?
How about it absolutely shits on everything? Look up various reviews of the S1000RR, the front end seems vague even though it has good traction. It doesn't inspire rider confidence. The brakes as well seem to stay spongey, despite bleeding them multiple times. Its electronic package is amazing, that's for sure. Bonus on the rsv4
>that sound
>muh dicc
youtube.com/watch?v=q3WdxhXlLpc

>How about it absolutely shits on everything?
lol, gotta admit it does sound really good. Hmm, now your making me doubt my decision going to do some more research on the two. Much thanks for the info bro, enjoy your weekend, cheers!

>that's not how it works
Putting 7 kids on the back seat of a Skoda Favorit is how it goes here.
If you can't move, you can't get hurt in a crash, right?

>I expected atleast 5x that price for the taxes

From the perspective of the state, motorcycles are the best form of transport:

>no road wear
>low emissions
>no congestion in cities
>don't take parking spaces
>if they crash, they only harm themselves, most of the time

There is no reason to discourage motorcycle use. If anything there should be more people riding motorcycles. Then we would all be safer.

Probably still safer than this.

>a bag on the front instead of a 3rd child
We can go bigger than this

it seems an older bike would be relatively cheap to insure, thanks

How's that not safe? They are in seats!
I use to get picked up by my grampa from school. Sis went on the baggage rack, I sat on the bar.

You can also get two on the back.

>spending 5k in mods on a 107

Wees geen armflikker

>not spending 5k in mods on a 107 to create an ungodly little sleeper shitbox

But it's still a 107

>spending 5K to make it as fast as a 3K golf

Mate I'm literally planning to buy a sub-1k Twingo and putting a tarbo on it/factory tarbo'd version of its stock engine in it just so it can have ~100hp.
It's like you don't even shitbox life.

>tfw my equally old and shitty shitbox had 100hp from the factory

Post shitbox

I mean I could go out and buy a 115hp Passat or some shit from the same era for the same money (not a Golf GTI with the exact same drivetrain because fuck insuring anything with a GTI badge on it) but then it wouldn't be a tiny lightweight happy shitbox, it'd be a medium-sized mildly smug shitbox instead.

She's not really a lightweight, but who doesn't like happy and curvy?

Cutest Corolla

By enjoying the fact I was one of the first in college to own a car, as well as being the only one to own an rwd and landbarge. Plus having package deliveries side jobs with my private car in the middle of nowhere.
Volvo 940 turbo, 135ps originally, 300ps now. Looking for either an Lexus ls200 or a 2.5 manual 960 to replace it.
288 € / 3 months (LPG)
>How much is the APK?
Dirt cheap, I usually pay €25
70 €/month
>Currently contemplating whether I should get a cheap old car (pre 1978) to avoid road tax. I wouldn't really use it all that much. I'd commute by motorcycle.
Good luck with boomers counting 3 years of taxes you won't have to pay into the sale price
>t. random dude who end up in your country by accident
Big mistake

You don’t, thats the reason why 90% of the cars on the road are 1.2 liter shitboxes on a leasplan (myself included). My “fun” car next to the polo is a 1988 opel kadett, that I’m restoring for nostalgia reasons

OP here.

1. Guys, this has been a fantastic thread. Since lots of you are from Groningen, maybe we could organize a meetup? I have some free time in July, just before I move to Utrecht.

2. Also one last thing I wanted to ask: I love the fact that you have autocross here. We have the same shit back home. Is anyone here involved in that scene? Would love to know more about it.

3. My little brother is coming over to help me move in the summer months (July) and I was wondering whether there is any aut/o/ related activities I could take him to. Anything that moves and spews fumes would be interesting. He is a huge petrolhead, way more than me. Things I had in mind
>oldtimer car shows
>tractor pulling events
>autocross events
>track days (can you like rent a car/motorcycle (+gear) and do a few slow laps?)

I know there are pretty regular trackdays at the TT Circuit in Assen, and there's also an airfield drag racing scene in Drachten.

cheap car with low/no maintance cost and cheap insurance and tax
Mazda MX5
€35 a month
>How much is the APK?
My local Toyota Dealer does APK's for €19 and they found no fault in my car.
€30 a month

>Also if you ride a bike, how expensive are motorcycle lessons?
No bikes, safety hazard and too cold for the Netherlands.

tfw 60 euro per kwartaal
tfw 1 op 20
tfw benzine
tfw 700 cc
tfw 82 pk
tfw cabrio
tfw 800 kg

guess my car fags

There is a way to drive pretty cheap in the Netherlands as a new driver. That is done by getting a sub 900 kg car that also rides on LPG
You'll spend about 150 euros a month on everything total

Smart Roadster

Examples

Twingo, Atos, Matiz

find LPG conversions of these and you pretty much cant ride cheaper

I also live in Groningen but I am just in the process of getting my drivers license

Same here, gonna have to deal with being an unironic busrider until then

I should have mine in April

Took plenty of lessons already, it's just a matter of passing the theory and practical exams now for me

>safety hazard
That's the cars.

>too cold for the Netherlands.
Then how come I can ride year round?

>that's the cars
That's right. But motorcycles drive like idiots in randstad and try to overtake cars at impossible places.
>how come I can ride year round
Did you ride during the snow? And I get cold on a scooter let alone a motorcycle that can do 3x the speed.

Maar dan betaal je wel bijtelling over de nieuwprijs van de f150+btw+bpm als je m prive gebruikt

>But motorcycles drive like idiots in randstad and try to overtake cars at impossible places.
I am Randstad. And yes, there are lots of idiot riders. But that doesn't make the bikes unsafe, it's the riding style that's unsafe.

>Did you ride during the snow?
Yes.

> And I get cold on a scooter let alone a motorcycle that can do 3x the speed.
That's why you have a bike suit, not just your jeans and a winter coat. I'm pretty comfy up to -5°C, much colder than that it just doesn't really get.

lightweight lpg cars dont have any more road tax than petrol

>tfw got a 1.4L leaseplan polo

It's ok but I really want something fun

Tough shit

Reading your comment i was looking out the window and a crz with dutch plates stopped, although not the most exciting honda, enthusiasts still excist here

There was a madman in my neighborhood with a 996 GT3, which was just parked right on the street.
Also a blue Miata/MX-5 NA which looked like it was slightly modded.

Are you also on Veeky Forums? I am and i got a panda, we don't need to compensate by having big cars

Is there a discord for dutch 4channers? Or dutch/o/es?

MX5 from which year?

Est here
What car or motorcycle do you drive?
>MRS bought from your homeland last summer, thanks for keeping it mint. Fuck you for making me overpay 2k.
How much do you pay in road tax (motorrijtuigenbelasting?)
>0
How much is the APK?
wtf is apk? Other than fuel, registration fees and insurance there is no extra cost or tax.
How much is the insurance?
>250 for half a year. Was 300 for half a year last year since it is de jure my first car.

How do you survive as an aut/o/ enthusiast in your country?
>suffer all winter with some shitty autotragic cuckover that puts you to sleep and is only fun when it understeers and you need to correct it.
>once summer comes roll the car out, attend weekly fnf style meets, attend trimonthly time attack races with 25 eur entrace fee for entire day filled with driving, hit the track for 20 eur a hour, pay 1.2 eur for gas, mod shitbox and nobody cares.
the caveat
>when someone cares you need to pay fines
>only make 800 pcm

Being an auto enthusiast in estonia is like trying to order a steak at an indian restaraunt.