Tools

Any mechanics on Veeky Forums? What do you guys think of oemtools? I was looking at snap on screwdrivers and I saw the oemtools 8 piece set and it looks very similar to their hard grips. Also tool general

Other urls found in this thread:

hfqpdb.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just go to Walmart or AutoZone and get the piece you need when you need it. That way you don't waste a bunch of money on shit you don't need, like who the fuck even uses torx screws?

You ever hear of 80s gm or German cars before? I can't leave the shop in the middle of the day to go to Wal-Mart to buy shitty tools

>like who the fuck even uses torx screws?
what is every modern car

Never heard of oemtools, but I'm a canuckfag. I use an assortment of everything. Snap on, mac, jet, gray, proto, s-k, gearwrench, mastercraft are what I can think of off the top of my head. Mostly Ingersoll or aircat for airtools. Snap on ratchets are GOAT AND WORTH about what you pay for them, most of they're hand tools are overpriced.

Know how I can tell you don't wrench?

Nearly fucking everything uses torx in one place or another you dolt. They're a great design. I don't understand why everyone on this board spergs about torx

Oemtools is similar to sk, mastercraft, or gearwrench. Does rust in Canada make it really hard to work on those cars or is it not that common.

Buy Wiha or Felo screwdrivers. Everything else is second rate.

>like who the fuck even uses torx screws?
Smart people.

Don't buy that garbage, its harbor freight quality. If you need screwdrivers that will last you a lifetime, get a Klein Tools screwdriver set, for like $55 you get a bunch of different sizes and lengths, and they will literally last you forever.

Only problem is that the normal variety pack doesn't come with stubby drivers.

Piecing together a tool box is the worst part of stepping into mechanical work.

But, it's not quite as bad as using the wrong tool when you need the right one, and breaking shit, so now you need an even more expensive special tool.

I'm not a good person to ask about rust, I mostly work on highway plows and salt trucks, they usually get junked after about 15 - 18 years because the frames are too thin to repair. They usually get a full cab replacement and dump box replaced in their lifetime just due to rust.parts get replaced often just because of rust and corrosion

I use a smoke wrench a lot

This, you pay more but the quality speaks for itself

Oem tools are rebranded Mac tools at a fraction of the cost. Stop spouting bullshit you know nothing about.

t. retard

Mac, Proto, Craftsman, DeWalt, Black&Decker, Irwin, Porter Cable, Facom, Lenox, Lista, Bostitch, all belong to Stanley. Some tools are marketed to auto service, some are industrial, construction, etc. Everything from GOAT to chink shit. It's all Stanley now.

If you get the autozone tools they'll deliver them to your shop in a few minutes. Just saying.

OEM tools shill here

I literally own almost every oem tool. Ask me anything

Too stupid to use google. Do they have power tools? How is their overall quality? What problems have you had?

Not him. Yes they have power tools related to mechanic work. I haven't used them though. Hand tools and sockets are very nice, specialty tools are great too. No problems in ten years.

They got power tools i actually purchased a big box set that came with a shit ton of hand tools an impact gun air ratchet air hammer and a kart and some brake tools and shit. Best money I ever spent. Lifetime warranty on all hand tools but only 1 year on the air tools. I'm not a pro though so I don't mistreat them too often or for that long but since I bought them I majorly overhauled my camaro in my driveway did engine work exhaust transmission swap, front accessories and all kinds of shit. AutoZone retails them actually which is convenient as fuck for the warranty.

Was just getting ready to ask if you bought one of these sets.

Yes and no. I got there 2200 one but I worked at AutoZone and had 20 percent off. But I ended up getting it straight from OEM/greatneck on sale for 1400 flat tax free and no shipping cost straights to my driveway so that was better than my employee price at AutoZone.

I have the 24964 part number

I had some oemtools but they are shit for real work, after a few months on the job i had a lot of them break and i began buying snap on and matco tools, i think matco has the best value tools and your matco guy will replace them with ought hassle.

>Oem tools are rebranded Mac
OEM is Great Neck

Matco was great in the early eighties when I bought most of my hand tools. I can't say anything about it now because I haven't needed to buy anything from them since...

I have some Great Neck open ends and sockets I bought to have tools at home. They are actually pretty good, but the ratchet handle they came with was useless. As in defective, sockets won't fit on the drive. I replace it with a "Taiwan" that is a bit large in the head but otherwise fine.

I did fall for that Snap On ratchet handle meme at work, though. It's fine but no better in the end than my Proto and Matco ratchets. (My 70's Proto 3/8' ratchet I got from my father is GOAT.)

Wrong. Greatneck is now surebilt.

flathead screwdrivers are glorified pry bars in the shop
you rarely use Phillips head
screwdrivers are best bought at the cheapest place that you can find that makes decent tools for me it's harbor freight

t. mechanic of 15 years

>you rarely use Phillips head
Clearly no cheap chinkshit screws in your shop

Truck & trailer tech here. Torx is most common in my field, Phillips prolly second most. I use my flat heads as picks and snall prybars more than i use them for actually turning fasteners

Snap-on type niggas in this shit

>few minutes
more like a hour and half later, those fucks at autozone, napa, carquest, o'riealys are always fucking shit up.

Don't use that battery holder, you'll end up droping one.
Just hope your foot isn't under it when you drop it.

There are options here. You either work at a garbage garage that no one gives a fuck about, or you work in the middle of fucking nowhere so everything is slow, or you are a cash customer with a bad reputation so you're low priority. We take care of good customers who spend a lot of money.

3 years in the shop, gearwrench and duralast are my shit, easy replacement, solid prices, solid tools. Gearwrench 120 tooth ratchets are the bomb.com

I used 1 every day for over a year when I part timed at the local vatozone between deployments.

Word. I was a commercial driver and we took excellent care of our shops who had commercial accounts. The only one we consistently snubbed was some Mexican guy who ran a cash tab and was always late on his payments. Account went to collections multiple times

I'm a semi professional mechanic (did it in the military for a while then got out and joined a mom and pop company). I use almost exclusively shittsburgh for sockets and hand tools, around 250 bucks got me
>120 metric and sae short and deep sockets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 (10 sockets per depth per drive)
>18 piece metric and sae hex sockets
>18 piece torx sockets
>1/2 and 3/8+1/4 (double drive) extending rachets
>1/2 25 inch breaker bar
>4 piece size adapters
>9 piece 1/4+3/8+1/2 extensions
>socket racks for all 3 drives
for all you get you just can't beat it, and nothing was on sale too.
for wrenches I picked up a husky 20 piece metric and sae racheting wrench set last Christmas for half price, only like 50 bucks as well as an adjustable set and vise grip set for probably 40 or 50 bucks too.
I got a porter Cable 12v mini drill and driver kit on sale for 100 bucks and like 5 extra batteries (kit came with 2) for $10 each on sale.
screwdrivers, I use the 49 piece jegs kit (has Philips, flat, torx, Robertson) you see on sale for like 20-25 bucks now and then, these are some of the first tools I bought 8 years ago and still use them to this day.

>like who the fuck even uses torx screws
Manufacturing. Literally every carbide insert tool I've ever seen has used torx screws save a couple large lathe tools that were hex.

>for all you get you just can't beat it, and nothing was on sale too.
lies!
everything is on sale, all the time.
hfqpdb.com/

I just write down the codes on an index card and make them enter them all in. They love me. I also returned my 1/2 torque wrench three times until I got one that clicks REeE

Honestly, I just buy whatever the fuck I need. I buy some kits (always metric cause I work on JDM shitboxes)

Never waste your money on shit tools you dont need.

lel i can believe that. but yeah everything i bought wasnt on sale and i didnt use coupons. this is basically the list of stuff i bought aside from the ratchets, i got extension ratchets but they dont seem available online anymore which is a shame because theyre really handy.

wait i lied, theyre in the wrench section because yes