/egg/ - Engineering Games General - Formerly /svgg/

The long wait Edition
previous ded:
The thread is dedicated to all games about building machines and systems out of blocks, in space or otherwise. Also, all these games are ded. Only ded games may join, otherwise they must have their own thread.
Whether or not a game belongs in /egg/ is a case by case matter, however games that would belong in /svgg/, space voxel games general, are automatically considered /egg/

WebM for physicians:
>gitgud.io/nixx/WebMConverter.git

List of currently known and vaguely not dead /egg/ games (this list is not fully inclusive and if you think a game might belong here, feel free to ask):
>Algodoo
>Avorion
>Besiege
>Chode - Children of a Dead Earth
>Crossout
>Empyrion - Galactic Survival
>Factorio
>From the Depths
>GearBlocks
>Garry's mod
>Homebrew - Vehicle Sandbox
>Infinifactory
>Intersteller Rift
>KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People
>Machinecraft
>REM
>Robocraft
>Robot Arena
>Scrap Mechanic
>SHENZEN I/O
>Space Engineers
>SpaceChem
>StarMaden b
>Skywanderers

Games that are definitely not /egg/:
>Minecraft
>The general that quite literally cannot be named.. The Mexican scam artist one. With the shitposters. Fuck off.
>underageb& who won't use the search function and also won't read where are they posting

Information about these games, such as where to get them if they're not on steam, trailers, /egg/ conquered/hosted servers, and other shit can be found in this pad:
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggames
fromthedepthsgame.com

OP pad for future /ded/s
public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/eggop

Warbros Serb is dead again. RIP in piss. (1181502)
>space-engineers.com/server/73821/stats/

Other urls found in this thread:

fromthedepthsgame.com
youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4
youtube.com/watch?v=LMbI6sk-62E
bbc.com/news/science-environment-39111030
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/02/an-exclusive-look-at-jeff-bezos-plan-to-set-up-amazon-like-delivery-for-future-human-settlement-of-the-moon/?utm_term=.206a40860566
youtube.com/watch?v=SgYrj5zJAKQ
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1st for ded gaems
Except Crossout

>not adding fromthedepthsgame.com to the OP
sad

>youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4
>literally plays breakout on a lua scripted screen

Hype level for dual increased by approximately 0.5%

fuck jewout tho

>t. a blind

indeed
i am, my apologies

We make it all this way, so far out into the darkness...

I can tell that it's a gmod map, but I have no idea what this is referencing.

An orbital ring would never work. Assuming it could be constructed, it would still be orbiting the earth at orbital velocity making it practically useless. To attach space elevators to it the ring needs to be decelerated which by itself is a ridiculously difficult task.

youtube.com/watch?v=LMbI6sk-62E

This is only an uneducated guess but i think it's from a series of maps from a certain dude that has a series of hidden clues within the maps for something.
I know little about it but hearsay, sorry.

Aww yss. My favorite lisp-man

>30 mins

Haha no what is the relevant part containing whatever point you're trying to make

It's from roughly 0:00 to 30:35, but I'm not a videologist so I may be wrong.

Ok then if you can't narrow it down to a part that counters my point I won't be watching it thanks for playing.

Rougly 05:10

>build a space tower 300 km tall and slow it with magnets!

Haha good one. The only viable theory I've ever heard for decelerating an orbital ring was deploying air brakes into the atmosphere.

Remember, this is the people you share a general with /egg/

going to need the tower to build the thing anyway, so it'll be a worthwhile investment

>large underwater structure
>hub for marine life
Who would have guessed?

I think I'm the one who came up with that, I mentioned electromagnetic heatshields I saw on Atomic Rockets and that we could lower those by similarly shielded cables into the upper atmosphere.

>it would still be orbiting the earth at orbital velocity
>what is geosynchronous orbit

How the fuck does a 300km tall tower help you build the ring since the speed differential is about 28,000km/h The magnet theory is even more ridiculous since using the tower as a brake puts a sideways load on it.

Building an orbital ring in geosynchronous orbit defeats the purpose of constructing a ring in the first place. If you can make an elevator high enough to reach geosycnh orbit there's no need for a ring retard.

not the ring itself, the magnets repelled by the ring, and the plates on the magnets that you put shit on

i dont get it

Congratulations you're the only intelligent person I have ever discussed orbital rings with on /egg/ or anywhere else. The aerobrake idea is both genius and obvious which begs the question why isn't it the most popular theory.

Then the only problem is constructing a ring probably weighing several billion tons requiring tens of thousands of rocket launches.

S K S

>The aerobrake idea is both genius and obvious which begs the question why isn't it the most popular theory.
No regenerative braking?

Dammit IEEE spectrum is late with robot video friday again. I need my friday robots dammit!

I don't understand the question. It would take decades to construct the ring at maximum effort and maybe decades more to slow it down to the point where you could do anything with it. The by-product of aerobraking is heat how would you sore and use several years worth of heat and what would be the point?

a meter thick copper orbital ring would come in at roughly 100 megatons, or 100 billion kilograms
falcon heavy is expected to cost $2200 per kilogram to LEO
2200 x 100 billion = 220,000,000,000,000
mass production would undoubtedly lower the costs significantly, so lets clock it in at 1500 per kilogram, on the high end if history is anything to go by
that'd be 150,000,000,000,000 to get the whole thing up to LEO, assuming economy of scale is the only discount, though SpaceX would probably give platinum membership rewards for missions that extensive
Falcon heavy is 63,800 kg to LEO per launch
63,800 / 100 billion = 1567398.12 launches
rockets are garbage for getting mass material into space
all of this is meaningless however, since we can just mine the fucking moon for all the copper and have it at less than a dollar per kilogram

why is cost even relevant for space stuff world projects?
i mean isnt it all above money and pointless shit like that?

I'd say an orbital ring is more likely than worldwide communism.

what does comunism have to do with anything?

>copper

Why would you build anything out of copper? I only research this topic casually but the most obvious choice would be aluminum.

Millions starving to death.

>aluminum
>num
found the american
educate yourself

Everything costs money, The workers mining the ore need their pay, the people smelting it need it, the people turning it into rocket components need it, the people transporting everything need it, the people assembling everything need it, and all the administrative work to get this godlike mission going is going to cost a fair bit too

ain't nothing in this world for free, how else will they get their daily bread?

I deliberately spelled it wrong as to not trigger americans but it backfired

in your experience do people seriously get more triggered by the correct rather than incorrect?

just give them food and shit they need whats the problem?

It really depends on the situation but almost 50% of Veeky Forums poster are american so when I don't want to derail a topic with grammar faggotry I use american spellings

that's a tad grim innit
my bad though, i got triggered too

The idea behind it is to use a ferromagnetic material and run current through it to make it into a giant magnet, then use the repelling force of magnetism to "float" another magnet around the ring
the copper ring will be spinning at orbital speed, while the hovering one will be stationary, you then build shit on top of this stationary one to make it useful, run elevator cables down at an angle to spaceports below to both stabilize the ring, and bring shit up, and then run a magnetic launch system on the top to send shit into the cosmos

seems batshit, but it all checks out, only issues are getting the thing stable enough to get stabilization on it and thermal expansion

>it all checks out,

I disagree. The orbital ring concept is extremely theoretical at best and exponentially increasing the launch weight is counter productive, pushing it into the realm of science fiction. With aluminIum it almost becomes a realistic project. Almost.

Someone has to make the food and shit. What do you give them? Their own grain and tools?

What of entertainment? If vices? What do they exchange for these?

Dohohohoho.
No but seriously, it won't kill capitalism but holy shit will make the amount of available resources (matter and power) skyrocket like it's the Industrial Revolution with steroids on top

do what you want cause you want to do it
not for money
is my point

Just say Element 13, or Al

Does anybody have the tech priest version of this? I forgot to save it and couldn't find it in my search history.

Communism only comes up in orbital ring discussions because some retards think that it could only happen with a communist united world government. This is retarded because communism isn't about unifying humanity to extend the frontiers of science it's about control and slavery.

Communism niggers are too stupid to understand that the great leaps in space exploration made by the soviet union only happened because of competition with the capitalist unite states. Capitalism drives space exploration.

Aluminum could work, but you'd have to put magnets on it to have the same effect, it all hinges on magnetism after all
though the key thing is, the orbital ring will not be the first thing we do, by the time it's decided to build one, we'll have widescale mining operations on the moon and asteroids, which would give us all the materials far more economically than dragging every ounce into orbit from earth

it'd probably be best to make a launch loop, since those would only cost a few billion to make and are very effective at tossing shit into orbit

I disagree again. The orbital ring is what would make space mining practical, not the other way around.

You couldn't have a launch loop because niggers, muslims and muslim-niggers exist. Such a gigantic structure would be very difficult to secure against terrorism and it would be an extremely attractive target. One guy could cause billions of dollars damage

Do you just have more money than you could ever spend, or are you plain retarded?
I would like to visit other countries and eat foreign food, but I choose not to because it'd break my budget.

Similarly, I'd also like for mankind to be a spacefaring empire, but I can't really poof FTL into existence by sheer will.
On the same note, putting anything into space is well beyond my financial means - and I don't expect this dream to go through on kickstarter.

Tru dat.
Heck, if i could make my own nation i'd immediately try to jew as much as possible to get the capital to start building that shit (or a launch loop at least).
Once that's done i'd (my nation i mean) have pretty much a monopoly on space. Can claim dibs to all the resources up there, make a moon colony, etc etc.
At that point i'd have insane economic power (unless i get mossad'd), can flood the market with raw and semi refined materials, energy, you name it.
Heck, i could go and build a veritable space armada, orion drive, nukes out the wazoo and all that. After that establishing myself as THE dominant power is a pretty trivial matter.
>"Oh you can't militarize space you say? And how you plan to deal with it? Launching nukes from the bottom of a gravity well?"

If they ever try that terrible argument again, just say "oh yes, what a great failure the ISS was"

a launch loop would be over the ocean due to how long they are, and have only 2 ground level ports, TSA checkpoint on steroids will be more than effective for securing those points
add a no fly/no boat zone for a good range around it, with sensors and patrols like you have on a base, and ahmed is not going to be able to get close enough to blow it up

Securing this thing is surprisingly easy, and the world would be more than happy to work together to secure it, considering how much money the thing saves them on space related matters

>Securing this thing is surprisingly easy, and the world would be more than happy to work together to secure it, considering how much money the thing saves them on space related matters

I wish I could go back to being as naive as this post.

Achmed may not.
But Stein can and will if the thing threatens his interests

>be china
>have 2 options
>spend thousands per kilogram
>or 2 dollars per kilogram
they'd station half their military around it to ensure they don't get fucked in the ass by hundred million dollar launches every time they want to send something substantial up

>implying the launch loop won't "mysteriously" blow up as soon as they start to build their "Great Reader Of Peopre Repubric Of China Raunch Roop"

You're still not getting it. The fact that space exploration has been frozen for nearly the last 50 should give you a hint that very powerful factions just don't want you to get off this rock.

The very biggest players aren't interested in space exploration they're interested in slavery. Very sneaky slavery so you don't even realize it's slavery.

>that whole post
This retort suddenly gets a whole new meaning

Are you seriously dumb enough to imply that manned space exploration hasn't been frozen for the last 50 years?

it's very clear it was frozen for 50 years, that freeze has recently been broken however
we now have fucktons of individual companies working on getting shit of the rock
the powers that be want slaves, and we got lots of rich and powerful people challenging them, and winning
don't be too pessimistic, there is still hope that they will fall

it's true senpai, money is power, who do you think holds all the money, those who have power want to acquire more power

Dubya wanted men on the moon (no women or faggots allowed)
Obongo axed it

Dunno, Musk is moving things up.
Mostly the problem are
>expensive
>even more expensive to bring stuff down
>radiation
>fuel doesn't come cheap
>ISRU systems not fully fleshed out yet
>politicians are retarded and would rather invest into the military or some other fucktarded project that can get done within their term than stuff that goes beyond 4 to 8 years

Just human nature at work on that last one, the rest are mostly economical issues

>that freeze has recently been broken however

You can believe that if you want but I'll believe it when I see it and while doing that I'll be highly skeptical. Musks dragon capsule is basically a movie prop it's not a viable, practical space craft.

>musk

Musk has been since in company of a certain gold digging harlot
Dream of spess snuffed out by some used pusy

what about blue origin?
Elongated musket is not the only guy doing rockets
there's also a few others but they're small and I can't remember them

he kicked her to the curb a week ago

>but I'll believe it when I see it
Oh yes, all those rockets we landed back in the 1960s

>rogue nation claims entirety of space
>crashes international economy
>develops nuclear weapons, then puts them in space
I can see a few points where your actions might create some diplomatic tension.

Never heard of it. I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

You're an idiot. Even if you accept that the mercury, gemini and apollo programs happened 100% as reported by the government, the private sector isn't going to get to that stage any time soon and the line between fiction and reality is getting so blurred lately how will you even know whats really going on.

>I haven't done any research
>but I'm going to be a nihilistic fuckwad anyway
are you from Veeky Forums by any chance?

Researching history is more practical than researching things that have a high likelihood of never going anywhere.imo.

>Conspiracy comments
>Private sector not getting to 'that stage'
>Comment about 'blurring the line between fiction and reality'
wat

My point was there's no goddamn 'freeze' when new technology has recently been publicly tested, proved successful and then used again multiple times

Oh yeah, and by the private sector to boot.

how would you know that they wont though
you haven't bothered to learn anything, you just want to shitpost furiously

That's wonderful, let me know when the private sector has caught up to 1960's achievements

>I'll say something that has no definition
>then I'll win the argument by default
pls go home shitposter

The definition is pretty clear. In the 1960's two countries sent men into orbit for extended periods of time and one allegedly sent men to the moon.

Which part of this are you having trouble understanding?

>Allegedly

This just shows you have a limited understanding of the space race. Despite being far ahead of the US in manned space exploration at all times the ussr never sent men to the moon. The topic is debateable.

so if sending men to the moon will finally get you to believe, then witness next year, when spacex does their planned mission of sending 2 tourists on a trip around the moon, and 2025 when blue origin builds the base they're planning

>when spacex does their planned mission of sending 2 tourists on a trip around the moon,

Are you retarded? Spacex are probably several years away from sending tourists to earth orbit, if such a thing ever happens at all.

>The Moon
Unless we find a sudden reason to, nobody's going back for a long time

>Manned orbits
Getting someone into space is really not going to take very long, but from the looks of things SpaceX is aiming at fully reusable vehicles before making people fly

Wait what, links plox

>one allegedly sent men to the moon.
contrary to many people's beliefs, faking the think would be impossible with tech of that era. You might not think it makes sense but it was easier to send someone to the moon.

What game?

>Getting someone into space is really not going to take very long, but from the looks of things SpaceX

I'm highly skeptical of spacex the dragon capsule looks like the spacecraft equivalent of an iphone. Touch-screen controls? really? On a spacecraft? Touchscreens should only ever be a secondary interface. All the physical controls present in a soyuz(?) capsule should be present in any serious spacecraft.

You're retarded. A parrot repeating things you've been told instead of using your brain. Maybe apollo happened 100% as the govt says, maybe it didn't. All we know for sure is that the photo and video record isn't truthful.

>All we know for sure is that the photo and video record isn't truthful.
[citation needed]

tourists
bbc.com/news/science-environment-39111030

made an error, blue origin is not making the base, they're planning to create a supply system for the bases the ESA, NASA, JAXA, and CNSA are planning to set up
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2017/03/02/an-exclusive-look-at-jeff-bezos-plan-to-set-up-amazon-like-delivery-for-future-human-settlement-of-the-moon/?utm_term=.206a40860566

>SpaceX is contracted to deliver cargo to the ISS under NASA's Commercial Resupply Services program, and Dragon began regular cargo flights in October 2012.

I never claimed -entirety- of space.
Just a "first come, first served" thing on various resource rich asteroids.
And the market crash is more of an implicit thing to leverage political power. Think of how oil prices can be used as a weapon and you can see where i'm going.
And those orion drives that can be repurposed into WMDs? Oh, those are just a high Isp-high thrust method of getting places fast

If you'd actually done any research you'd knwo this for a fact.
As much as I'd love to do all the work for you and spoonfeeding the time indexes to you but this is an official nasa video claiming that two videos many miles apart are using the exact same background.

youtube.com/watch?v=SgYrj5zJAKQ

The official nasa record is full of holes. Maybe they went. maybe they didn't Who knows? All we know for sure is that the public record is full of errors.

How is that relevant to the discussion? Are you retarded?

>nothing to go back for
Mining nigga, mining and manufacturing
the moon has every ore and mineral the earth has, due to it's formation coming from something smacking into the earth
the significantly lower gravity of the moon allows you to build shit much larger than you could on earth, so your excavators and refineries can be absolutely colossal and get record outputs while allowing for much dick waving because yuge
it's also cheaper to send shit from the moon to LEO than earth to LEO because of that lesser gravity and lack of an atmosphere, so for space based construction, moon mining will slash costs to near nothing comparatively

there is lots of reasons to go, you should learn you some

Are you implying that the dragon capsule isn't the spacecraft equivalent of an iphone?

it's considerably more effective