Whats the next step up from a BRZ/miata?

Whats the next step up from a BRZ/miata?
I was thinking a Cayman or Lotus

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/q1S8_YZqtx8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZyLU24INThw
jdm-expo.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

If you're just thinking of another 2 seat sports car with a smol engine I would say a 370z slots in before a cayman or a lotus

Ew

LS BRZ/Miata

'18 Accord in sport mode

V8

porsche or lotus is the correct answer

but hot hatches are also a good step up if you want a more powerful daily

The Cayman/Boxster is it.
>lotus
The elise/exige is the only truly lightweight sportscar still being made. 2000 pounds nigga. TWO THOUSAND. It's kind of impossible to live with as anything other than a weekend warrior and it's extinct in murrica.

370z is pigfat

Unfortunately there aren't much options. This is something I had considered extensively before selling my miata.

If you want to go full autist and are dead set on the rwd coupe aesthetic, cayman/boxster is a good road to explore. 350z/370z are slightly faster but still largely underwhelming imo.

you can always LS swap a miata

or just swallow the ultimate red pill and surrender yourself to the superiority of the GTI

>It's kind of impossible to live with as anything other than a weekend warrior

Why though? Because it rides really hard and has a shitty interior? It's probably bad as a dd but probably not as bad as the average 90's shitbox.

if you want a weekend car that you can also daily if you need to, the 996 works well

The answer is clear. Size up.

WRX STI
BMW 2 series/ M2.
C7 Corvette? Alfa Romeo C4?

4C I meant

An SR20-swapped 240SX would be the logical next step if you enjoy sliding more than pure speed.

stang ecoboost

PJ?

I love my 987 Cayman S. 300HP is perfect for the street, it handles great, looks like sex, everything feels solid/quality and it only cost me $19k.

Used corvette.

>performs better in literally every way
>butt hurr muhhhhh piiwwggg ffaawwttt
KYS brainlet.

hummanahummanahummanahummanahummanahummanahummanahummanahummanahummana

Weight reduction and turbo

How was the reliability of the m97 engine?
I found one recently with a pretty extensive service history and I'm seriously thinking of trying it out.

a BRZ/miata but with a turbo

Lexus RC F

Own a miata ND

Its fucken dope, theirs faster cars out their but fun wise the miata is up their with the best of them.i have been in some very fast cars for comparison but miatas have certain charm to them

The next logical step is probably a porsche but you need alot more money for that and maintaining them is a bitch.

Smart money is on just boosting/swapping engine in a miata and shitting on all the competition

>all these fucking buttons
Where did we go wrong?

>4000 lbs
>barely faster than a challenger around a track

Yea no...he’s better off with a camaro SS

Zero problems so far, they're known to be pretty good for 100k+ miles. The 996/986 had IMS problems, 997/987 and up are fine.

350z HR or 370z will be a massive upgrade in terms of speed from a brz if he wants a 2 seater coupe. Dont forget the 350z hr is lighter and has like 30 more whp than the 350z de. Plenty of videos showing 350z hr NA beat GTO's, 5.0 Mustangs, EVO X's and Stage 2 GTi's.

youtu.be/q1S8_YZqtx8

They are anything but underwhelming if you get the hr.

Tangentially related.

I'm planning on getting a new car probably next year or so (currently driving a hand me down Corolla). I'm considering the following cars:

-BRZ/86 (old platform. Should I wait for a second gen toyobaru?)
-MX5 RF

Maybe:
-WRX STi (should I wait for whatever the viziv concept will amount to?)
-new Civic Type R

Miracle tier:
-Unmolested Evo 9
-import R32 GTR

Salary is 70k USD. Honestly I'm leaning towards the BRZ the most but I feel like it's getting tired and old. Is there anything else I should consider?

M2

BRZs do have "backseats"

If you have that much money then look into an M2

oh god just don't

Buying a car that is in production for some years isn't a bad thing as they already sorted out the most problems.

New 2018/(19?) Supra announced "soon", be patient.

If new: MX5 RF
If used: Porsche 997 Carrera S or 2015-2016 Cayman/Boxter

MX5 is hardly an upgrade, they're too similar. Lotus or Cayman plain and simple

ain't no one able to afford that here cept richfags

Auto 2002 Civic.

But in a miata you can put the top down and forget about how slowly you're going, so yeah it's at least superior to the BRZ. The only problem with the Cayman is deciding between older 911s

is the BRZ a good upgrade from a speed 3?

This, get the extended warranty as well though

Fuck me you could carry all the family around in that!

Unless you are mates with double amputees good luck retard

> slower, oh so much slower
> just as shitty, if not worse interior despite it's age
> more expensive to make it faster than a speed 3
> Can take turns slightly better

Yeah, nah.

oh i thought the brz was god tier handling compared to my speed. hmm, might keep it and get coilovers, etc.

What do you think the quotation marks were for? I didn't say a 6'4" fatass could fit, just that they were there and it's not a two seater.

I've sat in the backseats of a BRZ before when a buddy took two of us for a rip. When I say I sat in the backseats, I mean both, I had to sit diagonally to fit.

How much are R32 GTRs now that they're in freedomland? I'm a leaf and I remember about 4 years ago I guy I know couldn't even sell his for $28,000 leafbucks. Don't know what he actually got for it in the end.

Thanks. Will take a look at it when there's no more snow on the roads. Currently cross shopping it with this guy.

a 370z

Forgot to mention I just graduated and just started my job like last week. I really don't wanna spend upwards of 40k for my first big purchase. I have like 1k in savings and virtually no credit history which is why I'm waiting to buy in a year or two.

In my area (somewhere in LA county), I've seen R32s going for $25-$30k. Dunno if they actually sell or not.

370z is pigfat

1 guy could fit in there just fine and take the whole back. Anyhow if you buy one to shuttle people around you're an idiot. Good thing the seats go down.

3200lbs is not pigfat you fucking retard

I got a 135i 303 hp, handles great, looks like a professional car without attracting unwatned attention, everything looks and feels quality. Cost me $14k

it's a z4

Harsh ride which I don't really mind like most people but the car is tiny, tiny, tiny.
Have you ever been in an aw11? It's tinier than that.

how did no one mention the best car?

Insane insurance rates, shit gas mileage, plastic playdoh shitty gm interior, cramped interior. Not much faster than Jap v6.

No.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZyLU24INThw

Gas mileage is ass, the LS is alright but nowhere near as good as later generations, the interior reeks of GM just saying "ITLL DO" while chugging a large bottle of rye whiskey and it's also the champion car of asshole baby boomers who think it'll be worth something someday thus leading to cancerous car mods that put Civics to shame

This lmao, it's probably faster on the track too.

insurance rates are fine 99%of these sit in garages of some boomers waiting for them to appreciate for some reason

jdm-expo.com/
You could import a nice gtr or other classic, and it will only go up in value

If you're in the rust belt, I can't recommend a Mazda because they still rust out in under 10 years if winter driven. My boss bought a brand new Mazda 3 when I first started working with the company in 2009 and he had to junk it last year due to rust.

Depends on the guy. I have a sideways 6' full sized adult in the back of mine from time to time. But being a little on the older side he's not happy about comfort or getting in an out.

But that's OK for my purposes. Most of the time it's just me and the back seats are for in case I need more cargo room. If folks need to bum a ride they can deal.

I'm thinking step up for me is biting the bullet and going back to keeping two cars on the road, once of which would be as small and nippy a roaster as I could countenance. The other a cheap AWD storm-mobile with some power and carry capacity. Maybe an old outback or something of that sort.

definitely cayman. it's got more power while still maintaining the lightweight rwd fun nature of the brz/miata.

the 370z and mustang are fucking fat in comparison and handle far worse

>low slung, lightweight, rwd sports coupe to pigfat beefed up 4 door sedan

yeah no thanks

It's totally fine/easy to DD, I daily drove one for 6+ years. I had a beater jeep as a second car for when I had to move shit, or have multiple passengers... but %95 of the time i drove the exige. It's no less convenient than any other 2 seat sports car. The ride doesn't feel 'hard' when you daily it, it feels firm/sporty, as you'd want it to feel. And the interior isn't shitty at all-- it's simple, comfy, and it looks better than cars that cost 5 times the price.

You should try driving both Cayman/Boxter and Exige/Elise cars. They're very very different to drive, since the Lotus' are about 2/3 the weight of the Porsches. That's like Miata to 370z weight difference.

How forgiving was the Lotus about bad weather, emergency maneuvers, recovering from carelessness, etc.?

Thats if you're short. Im fairly sure a tall person can't drive a Lotus for more than half an hour at a time. I saw one in person some time ago and i was baffled at how tiny it is.

>bad weather, emergency maneuvers, recovering from carelessness
overall it's not a very forgiving car. it's not misleading, it' s not gonna correct shit for you. whenever I spun out, I felt like I pushed too hard, not that 'wtf was that, that was the cars fault' feeling some other MR cars have. That said, all of this heavily depends on what tires you're running. I tried a pretty wide variety while I had the car and every time I switched, it felt like the car had completely new/different limits.

yeah apparently height can be an issue, but not until like 6'6"+... i'm 6'1", and I dont think I had anyone taller than about 6'4" in the car ever, so never got to really see when it starts being a problem. (for the record, drove for hours with 6'4" friend, was always fine. you find yourself wanting more lumbar support on the stock seats during long drives, but that's true for any height). Like many small 2 seater sports car, weight is usually more of an issue (at least here in the US), before height is a problem. But yeah, i never ran into either of those problems.

OP, don't listen to anyone in this thread.
The real step up from a Miata is going to be a BMW Z3M or a Honda S2000. The step up from a BRZ is going to be a BMW M1/Gen 2 or 3 RX-7.

The Z3M v1 (98-00) uses the E36 drivetrain, so you get the powerful inline 6 and it's delightfully fast, and the v2 Z3M uses the E46 drivetrain. They weigh more than the Miata, noticeably so, but are much quicker.
The Honda s2000 AP1 revs to fucking 9000 rpm, is Honda reliable, and N/A making 200hp, while retaining a rather light body with great handling. Again, this weighs more but is much quicker.

BMW M1 is the same thing for the BRZ, FR layout, sacrificing a bit of the ability to slide for more power in the straights, it's still a great handling car.
The gen 2 RX-7 (FC, preferably the TurboII) and gen 3 (FD) are good progressions in the world of FR coupes, the FC TII will cost significantly less than an FD, though obviously the FD is better stock. These are wankels though, so unless you're prepared for the proper maintenance (which really isn't as bad as anyone makes it out to be) steer clear. Though they say, one you go rotary, you never go back.

have you ever been in a lotus? my friend has one and it's literally a fucking kart.
that car has no other purpose than to be driven on a track or on twisties.
it gives zero fucks about basic human comfort, it's loud as fuck, it's cramped as fuck, it's barebones/spartan as fuck.
as a weekend/enthusiast car it is magnificent. as a dd it is absolutely the worst car you can buy. a fucking horse carriage is better as a dd than a lotus.

>it gives zero fucks about basic human comfort, it's loud as fuck, it's cramped as fuck, it's barebones/spartan as fuck.

Soo it's like my mid 2000's shitbox.

>Whats the next step up from a toyota/ mazda
>is it a porsche or lotus?
no
fuck you
fuckin hell

>based LS swap nearly first comment

You didn't disappoint Veeky Forums

Why not, in your opinion? What if a toyobaru kind of gets close in a lot of ways, but you're not quite sure where exactly to move up to in order to hit your own personal sweet spot?

hey is the next step up from a palm pilot a dozen core workstation?

develop a personality and ability to make your own decisions
then fuck off

I've talked to more people that sell their lotus and go back to a miata than people driving a lotus. So many reason a miata ends up being a better weekend warrior.
I'm talking specifically as a autox/hpde car not necessarily a DD.

Lets say your really giving her hell one day at your favorite motorsports park. You went into a corner to fast and fucked it up. You slide the front of your elise ever so slightly head on into a light barricade. FUCKING TOTALED. Hold on let me just replace this entire fucking front clamshell I couldnt even find in the right color.
If you can drive a car like that with the increased cost, by all means you might get 5% more out of a lotus. If you just want to whip your dick out, drive that miata like there's a colony of fireants on your dick.

this

lmao you're going to shoot down advice like that and then bring up an R32? Fuck off my man

Hey guys what's the next step up from my 400 square foot cuck shack, is it a 9,000 sqft mansion or a 10,000 sqft bay house?

Bay houses are gay and 9ksqft mansions need a consuela to clean them.

800sqft 2BR with a small yard is where it's at.

>not posing the Z06

I'm 6'3'' and driving an elise with a bucket even lower than stock was still too difficult. My hands were in my knees.
Also I'm not too sure about headroom on an exige since I've only driven with the top down.

I’m 6’ and the exige was fine as far as me fitting in it, but the fucker was so loud I had to bring along a tub of ear plugs

>s2k
>step up
Maybe as a matter of taste if you enjoy the higher revving engine and the harsher more communicative ride. An ND puts down about the same times around a track though.

>a tub of ear plugs
how many ears do you have

is the accord coupe a good buy it looks good as fuck but its fwd