Post your tool boxes, you non-car fixing fucks

Post your tool boxes, you non-car fixing fucks

Other urls found in this thread:

csgnetwork.com/wrenchsizetable.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Poorfag express coming thru choochoo

Vintage goodness

Looks like a pretty old box. Did you inherit it?

Bought it used on the Snap-On truck for $275. It's a 1976 Bicentennial edition

weenie hut jr reporting. I have a steel toolbox (dont know the brand) that I got from my grandpa but its a little rusty and I dont work on my shitbox enough to warrant anything more than my weenie hut jr toolbox.
>not pictured: torque wrench

Confirmed nobody works on anything

My toolbox is hiding in the back, its under that pedal-bike. I dont seem to have a picture of just my toolbox.

Why do you mean by non car fixing fucks. Does it only exclude professionals who work on cars or just anyone who works on their own cars

It means nobody here actually works on their cars and probably have no tools

Spent 16 years in a shop. Heres a older pic (maybe 3 years ago) of my Mac box.
I don't do it pro anymore but I still have all my stuff, as well as a project car.

Proper boxes boys. Glad to see somebody has them

My home set up, with various other cabinets and shelving

I sure do with my weenie hut jr toolbox, I just dont post it on facebook, brah ;^)

And my setup at work.

Currently in winter mode, ignore the mess.

top drawer, shit looks pretty damn disorganized right now

This is an older pic but mines made out of an old panel that runs traffic lights,all aluminum and built very well.Im adding more shelves and eventually wheels later,has built in lights already when you open the doors.

Poorfag tier garage

Its current home.

This thread is sad. Veeky Forums confirmed for bus riders that can't even top up washer fluid

No tools

>tfw have to use my dad’s mismatch craftsman set from the 90s
>really want a GodTier snap-on set
>tfw too much of a poorfag to ever own a one
>life is suffering.png

Old craftsman>any modern tool truck brand

Yeah nah. Not for hand tools anyway. Have you ever used a new Snap on ratchet? They're GOAT. I haven't touched my old craftsman or proto ratchets in 7 years since I bought a Snap on 3/8" flexhead.

I still use my craftsman sockets and wrenches though. Because fuck $400+ for a single set of wrenches or sockets

Don't have a toolbox, just some tools lying around.

Newer Snap-on is starting to hit a dip in quality. Still great tools but for the prices they’re asking for you are most likely to find something similar that performs just the same and as long for cheaper

Is there a wiki or a list of tools I should buy when I want to start wrenching? Does it depend on the car?

Get the basic set of
>spanners
>ratchet and socket set
>bit set

Buy when needed

Thanks friendo

why do you have so many boxes of umbrellas

Don't have more than a Bahco tool set and powertools and VAG-specific tools for myself along with wathever tool my car or bikes have needed, but no own garage. Luckily my job has benefits, so I can use the company garage and lift to repair my whips. Pic related.

Rains a lot here.

Lol not even close.. Sorry grandpa.

Most of my toolios are at the shop, but I keep some in the bed box for my personal truck. Electric ratchet, sockets, wrenches, clamps, spare parts etc.

Gotta have socket set, duralast 100 piece I have been using for years. Has screwdrivers sockets Allen wrenches. It's a must. Jack/jack stands and or ramps.

My shitty collection at home, have a shitty strapon box at work.

>ecoboost sticker

kek

I made the mistake of being a wageslave for Ford back when the egoboost was being shoved into everything. I'd rob those stickers off during the PDI's

Naw. Old Cman sockets are cool tho. Fuck the price of Snappy socket sets. I have every Sunex socket set in the catalog and they are totally flawless all around. Including
>Deep and short metric and SAE 1/4 (4-15mm, 3/8 (8-22mm), 1/2 (10-36mm) 6point and 12point
>Semi deep 3/8 6point (8-22mm)
>3/8 universal impacts
>1/4 magnetic
>1/4 and 3/8 impact hex sockets
>All under 1k USD
>O'Reilly is starting to carry Sunex and will be able to warranty there
Used daily over 2 years now in an Indy euro shop. But Snappy ratchets are bae. Only other snap on products I bought (besides flea market bargains) are pry bars and 1/4 universal set and a single universal e10

Whores take credit cards now?

i've got like 50+ of them. Dudes in orange were handing them out on every street corner when i was in vegas.

Eh, I'm scared of breaking a $200 wrench so I end up using gearwrench.

That's a convenient oil drain.

Old set up

Still working on organizing the new workshop.

Garage was turned into a room with garage door walled off. I might set up a hybrid room/,garage while I save up for a shed.

$150 total in work benches and tool cart.

The whole idea of buying Snap-on is the lifetime warranty

Don't forget you want metric AND standard. Most nuts and bolts are interchangeable, but some like 14mm for example are only compatible with their own size. There's conversion charts out there, just Google them.

A brass hammer and a lead mallet are also good basic tools to have. A 1/2" breaker bar, a 1/2" drive torque wrench, a 1/4" drive torque wrench, a tire pressure gauge, a tire tread depth gauge, keep lots of flathead screwdrivers, a small pry bar, a large pry bar, a (high impedance if you can get it) DVOM (digital volt ohmmeter, also called a digital multimeter.) An amp clamp to go with it, lots of extensions for your ratchets, also save nuts, bolts, and screws when you can. These are all great basic tools to get you started in the field. If you're still lurking the thread, and you have any more questions, feel free to ask as long as I'm still awake.

Not to sound like a jackoff, but why would you want standard tools? Unless you work on older cars on the regular, a normal 100+ piece "suitcase" metric set would do you just fine.

csgnetwork.com/wrenchsizetable.html Other than 27mm and 40mm, none are dead on. Mixing metric tools with standard fasteners or vice-versa is a bad idea.

Sure, if you're just changing oil every day I suppose that will work, but different jobs will require different tools and it good to be prepared for most basic types of work right away.

Especially with a DVOM. Do you know how many cars are misdiagnosed for something such as a faulty starter or alternator when the problem is just a loose battery cable or something really stupid like that? You always want extensions at the ready, you always want a big ass breaker bar at the ready, you always want pry bars and like a dozen or so flathead screwdrivers of different sizes, tire tread depth and pressure gauge are also a necessity.

I would never recommend someone to just get a 100 piece ratchet set and say you're ready to go. I don't know much about regular automotive, because I'm in diesel but in diesel you do use both, so maybe late model cars finally adopted metric entirely and I apologize if that's the case.

What is warranty? The strapon truck will literally come to my work place and replace it for free unless it was obviously abused.

>mfw they replaced my 1/2" flex head because the chrome plating started to come off after 6 years

Wrong post dammit

Why are pry bars so important? What do you use them for on a car?

For prying things that won't move easily

body shop fag here, need some form of prybar at least once a day, from a lowly upholstery tool to a full on 3ft prybar

Nothing from snap on, all Mac and Craftsman for me. And apparently DeWalt bought the Craftsman brand from Sears and it should be coming Lowe's and home Depot too (should be easier for warranty)

It's a good idea to get metric and SAE tools, but definitely get more metric stuff. Cars made in the last 30 years are almost always majority (if not 100%) metric. When I pulled the engine out of my 98 Mustang GT, I think the only SAE tool I used was a wrench for the engine mount bolts.

A few people have said that there is some cross-compatibility with SAE and metric, and while that is true I definitely don't recommend it unless you're in a tight spot. It's real easy to strip out bolts this way.

Buy one of those all-in-one sets, the suitcase ones. I got a Husky set for about 150, plus a few other tools added on. torque wrench, hammers, jacks jackstands ramps etc. Then add-on as needed. Some specialty tools are great, some are gimmicky trash.

Start out on small jobs and work your way up. Usually replacing any kind of part on the car (even headgaskets) is a fairly simple operation, but getting to it is like adding on a ton of other smaller jobs. Once you've been around the car you'll have all the knowledge you'll need to do bigger repairs. For example:

>Replacing headgaskets = changing intake manifold.gaskets - changing exhaust manifold/gaskets - replacing timing chain/belt - replacing valve cover gaskets - changing air filter etc.

>changing wheel bearings = changing flat tire - replacing brake pads - changing diff fluid - changing rotors etc

Lots of little jobs add up.

>high impedance DMM
Do you even know what impedance is?

Obviously, but what parts/jobs require them if the parts aren't bent out of shape?

>Oh cool pretty decent tools...
>See Porter Cable Chordless....
Honestly, what the fuck

For some tools, but their ratchets for example are shit for mechanic work.

Gearwrench makes some good shit

Every real tool MFG now a days has a lifetime warranty, what you pay for is a reduction in the likelihood of having to use it, or in snapon's case the fact that instead of sending it in a guy in a truck will fix it for you.

It's great for tight stuff that needs leverage.
I use my adjustable pry bar all the time, often paired with my dead blow hammer.

Yupp and I wouldn't trade them for anything. Absolute beasts that never once let me down.

Try them before you judge.

Pictures aren't allowed in the hanger sorry.

My bay

Master mechanic?

ignore the name, actually an old picture of when i just had gotten it 2 years ago

>his bay
>none of his tools

Does a plane-fixing fuck count? Just got a new Husky box. Surprisingly full of features for the price; we'll see how it holds up over time. Tools are a mix of Snap-On from the pre-assembled kit I bought through my A&P school and whatever else I ended up picking up since, though I still have lots I want/need to buy.

>Hanger
fucking check yourself m8.

Return it, those Husky boxes are trash. The same thing from Harbor Freight is unironically better for the same price

Heard that about their others but I did a lot of snooping on this one first. Lots of good reviews and I honestly can't find anything that I could see becoming a major issue. Feels way more solid than a US General honestly, and while the USG's have been okay for most that I've seen, I don't like that they feel really cheap and can be very hit-or-miss.

Not too worried about too much weight on the drawers either since aircraft generally require less and lighter hand tools than automotive.

Plus USG's biggest box is maybe a little bit bigger, but sits at $1k. I got this for $700 including shipping to my hangar. Maybe I'll regret it in a few years, but by that time I'll be able to tank on a Snap-on or Mac without fear and right now I just needed the size up from my previous piddly little roller chest.

Hmm, not too terrible then

Have you guys considered the Costco branded ones? Those are pretty damn big and cheap. Have no idea about quality though

It's hangar, and yes, pictures are allowed in commercial airline hangars.

Not him but
>All aircraft techs work airlines

But yeah only places where being strict about photography makes sense is corporate hangars and mil, but even for corporate it's my experience that as long as the N-number isn't visible it's not a huge deal.

That dude's probably just trying to feel superior and validated for having an A&P.

Or even worse, LARPing as one for (you)s

You're an idiot.

Red seal jm. In Canada.

You also use pry bars and the like for finding that mysterious squeak in the suspension that he customer mentions. Checking for movement in joints and that kind of thing.

>through my A&P school
How was it? I currently wrench in the chairforce for gubment bucks, but wouldn’t mind going private eventually

meh, some of these get ups are way over the top for home

>buying a snap on tool box when its a hobby
why?

I like the Cambodian tire-midget set up you got going over there on the left

I need a new picture

It's not a strap-on, it's an el-cheapo tool box from Cambodian Tire

lel thanks, like $100 on sale

Can we get a better image of this?

Lol good eye. Here you go.

Forgot to post my top drawer.

cringe

School, or the civilian side of aircraft maintenance in general?

I kind of dished out some more cash than most for school in that the place I went to was half tech school, half actual college, so I was able to come out with a Bachelor's as well. There are cheaper options that don't give you as good of a hands-on experience as the place I went to, but will still get you the cert, which lack of hands-on experience might not be a huge turn-off if you've already been wrenching for a while.

Most of the test material for the A&P certs is rote memorization anyway. Multiple choice and all that.

My god, so much wasted space with those socket trays

SK sockets. A nice middle ground between truck brands and Craftsman

get on my level

That's dank, and not in a good way.

And just how low a level is that?

>stickers on shitty toolbox
>thinking it looks good
Pick only one.

Every single one of those stickers is from something I've worked on/part installed. So what am I to do with over 100 stickers? throw em away? keep em in a box for no reason? what does your box look like? gonna throw up a fake box? time stamp it boy.

The stack on the right has been replaced with a KRL top/bottom. That box is now my home box.

It's actually more of a rack since I paint cars I don't need a big tool box body men on the other hand have huge ass boxes

Pic related