What is the point of owning a sports car?

As someone who just uses their car (Camry shitbox) to commute to work, I honestly can’t see why I’d ever buy something like a BRZ or Miata.

In the city, traffic and speed limitations mean you’ll never be able to use the car to its full potential. In the country, there’s massive danger in traveling at a very high speed due to the risk of bottoming out in a pothole or a deer running into the road.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the look and performance of sports cars new and old. I just honestly can’t see why the average normie would want one.

Yeah I see your point. I wouldn't want a stiff little coupe and my only car and dd. So there's something in between: my Audi S3 hatchback

In the city, traffic and speed limitations mean you’ll never be able to use the car to its full potential. In the country, there’s massive danger in traveling at a very high speed due to the risk of bottoming out in a pothole or a deer running into the road.

>Wake up in morning, step outta the bed with the wrong foot
>get in boring cuckbox to cuckcommute like retarded normies in muh comfy
>get to work angry
vs
>get in my sportscar
>smile as soon as I hear the engine roar to life
I have nevera been in a bad mood at the end of the trip
Plus
>never brake for corners
>actually accelerate in corners
>get people giving thumbs up and pointing at the car constantly
>heeltoe so loud its heard to the next country over
>get to drive it hard whenever twisty comes up
>take longer route home cause its just so fun to drive
>take long route to parents house on weekends because the route is so twisty you will be squealing tyres at the speed limit and nobody can follow you

>all this and still get better mpgs than stacy in her hybrid cuckuv
Don’t get me wrong, I love the look and performance of sports cars new and old. I just honestly can’t see why the average normie would want one.
Its because you are a normie who doesnt give a fuck about driving pleasure and only wants a moving living room to transport you to work and back

audis are trash and your car is a massive boring piece of shit that has no performance.
If you disagree you just confirm my suspiscions that you're a normie.

what's the point of life? all joy you feel is just a mix of chemicals that most drugs can deliver.

I DD a manual 2008 Mustang GT on Ford Racing springs and shocks. If you just want something that's comfortable to ferry you to and from work, it's not the car for you. It's loud, the ride is harsh, the clutch is heavy and the power steering frequently takes a long sabbatical, but I love it, I absolutely love it. It's fun, it makes a lovely noise, I can throw it into gaps in traffic with a satisfying rev-matched double clutch downshift, and like any enthusiast car worth its salt, it imparts a certain animate character amidst a sea of lifeless boxes. You either love driving and want a quasi-relationship with you car, or you don't. Nothing wrong if that doesn't resonate with you, it's just not your thing.

this.
If you dont drive for fun you are not an enthusiast. Period.

what was the point making this shitty thread, faggot?

To give us an excuse to wax lyrical about the joys of driving, living with and working on cars with character......or something like that.

>As someone who just uses their car (Camry shitbox) to commute to work
Use public transportation you cunt. Wasting gasoline and polluting for commuting should be outlawed.

this

commuting in econoboxes is a fucking drag

>mr2 been on jack stands for a few weeks, doing brakes and other shit
>been driving mom's Camry shitbox to class
>at first like it because soft ride and heat in winter
>more and more I get frustrated with it
>slow, boring
>but at least it's reliable and comfortable
>I'm not constantly worried about the weird smells or sounds
>start dreading driving my mr2 again
>finally get it done
>hop in it on a monday morning
>here goes nothing
>by the end if my drive I'm happier than I've been since I've been driving the camry
>remember why I love my car

I live in the country and tearing through the mountain passes is the closest thing to heaven that you can experience while alive.

This is why most "sports cars" that come out now are grand tourer type cars (heavy comfy luxury coupes). Basically can do some "sporty driving" or highway pulls if you like but you don't really compromise on comfort.

This is why accord coupe best car

Commuter culture is a necessary evil. The money from drones buying boxes on wheels lets manufacturers build fun cars for us, and posers putting on airs pumps those fun cars out on the used market down the road. Gotta feed the system.

>I love the look and performance of sports cars new and old. I just honestly can’t see why the average normie would want one.
Sportscars aren't for average normies who only see cars as a mean to get from point A to point B.

>In the city, traffic and speed limitations mean you’ll never be able to use the car to its full potential.
True but this is the reason you go outside city centers to enjoy sportier cars.

>In the country, there’s massive danger in traveling at a very high speed due to the risk of bottoming out in a pothole or a deer running into the road.
Most things that are fun, interesting or make you feel like alive have some amount of risks involved in them. That's partially the point here.

Sportscars are for people like cars and want to be more involved in the driving process instead of being as far removed from it as possible which is what average normies want.

It's kind of all there in the name.

Sportscar, a car for sport. (Sport: Archaic - "a source of amusement or entertainment.")

If you don't find driving amusing or entertaining, there's no reason at all to own a sportscar.

same here, my MR2 is on jack stands in a shed waiting for some mods which are waiting for spring.
I am driving a slow, comfy, throttle by wire, autotragic, 5 star safety rated crossover
And I fucking hate every single fucking second I'm in it. It doesn't make me happy, it doesn't make me smile. It only makes me fall asleep and ensure I'm alive after the resulting crash to pay the legal fees.

Main reason for owning a sportscar is vastly increased chance to get laid.

should've nust bought a Golf R you badgewhore

Why are you even here?

Every city in my country that has a viable public transportation system is a fucking shithole. Not everywhere is like Beijing or Tokyo.

>whats the point of fucking a model instead of a hooker
>whats the point of having a steak instead of hamburger helper
>whats the point of a boat when you could swim

>hamburger helper
Literally subhuman

>in the city
leave leftist.

There are a few things in life that I don't see the point in compromising on. The most common one you hear about is your mattress. Spend more on a quality one, because you spend a massive portion of your life using it. I was spending an hour commuting in my car, 50 miles a day to work for four years. Adding in vacations, grocery trips, random meetups, conferences, etc. I was likely spending over a thousand hours a year driving. It didn't make sense for me to be disinterested in such a huge aspect of my life, and the interest I slowly developed meant I couldn't deal with being in a regular ass, cookie cutter econobox anymore.
My life was fucking great when I grabbed a 30 year old sports car as a second car. Every day was an adventure, and I actually looked forward to my commute. Keeping that thing going by my own effort was the best shit. Later, I used a modern RWD sports car with actual power as my DD, and that was worth it despite consuming gas, tires, and brakes like a slut. Just because you can't use its full potential doesn't mean you can't have fun being faster than 99% of everyone on the road. There's still a lot of enjoyment you can get out of a high powered car below 80 mph.

We are two of soul comrade. There are few unenjoyable drives in a loud V8 yuute

Wise words mattress user

>speed limitations

there no rules for how fast you accelerate to those speeds

checkm8 m80

I've been pulled over for "accelerating too quickly" even though I wasn't speeding. Didn't get a ticket but that's what he said.

I can't see the point of owning a sportscar, no, which is why I have a nice little '12 civic.

I have an R6 for 90% of daily commuting to/from work.

>what is exhibition of speed

same here, its called exhibition of speed but the cop let me off with a warning

Lit the tires at a ramp meter and pulled over thirty seconds later. Cop reminded me to be more aware of my surroundings before doing something like that again and let me go with a smile and a wave. I'm "lucky" to live in a state too busy dealing with drugs and its own corruption to give a shit about overly enthusiastic driving. You're more likely to get pulled over for a suspicious looking car than you are for pulling 20 over in a sportscar.

There isn't a point but who said there needs to be one? People who live their lives only doing things that have a point are the dullest fucks of fuckistan and need to re-evaluate their lives. My sister and her boyfriend are like that, judgemental pricks who have never enjoyed a thing in their mundane lives because "what's the point?" Fuck that!

Anyways, some of us just enjoy the act of driving but driving pedestrian cars is dull as shit. My first car was a civic and I could tell I might enjoy driving but I didn't enjoy driving it so I sold it and bought a BRZ and I'm not sure I can ever go back to driving benign pieces of shit again.

Unfortunately, I've got some buyers remorse these days. I've done everything I can to it to improve performance without negatively affecting reliability or comfort too much but the car is still slow. Coilovers, track tires, headers/tune and BBK. I'm much faster than most drivers in my class but I don't have a prayer against well driven vehicles outside of my class, even a stock 350z on RE71r left me in the dust. After talking to the guy, he bought it with some dented front fenders for $4000, got replacement panels for $300 and bought a set of RE71rs for $700 so all in, he was at $5000 for a track weapon. I paid $26000 for my slow shit mobile...

that feel when you are smiling because you get to drive your dream car to work

Same here, when I have to drive my daughter to kindergarten, I have to leave the MR2 and take the Prius. It's got infinite MPG (the trip to kindergarten and my work is well within the range of the plug-in battery pack) so it sort of makes up for it (more moneys available for gasoline on the spyder), but GOD is it dull to drive... My MR2 is stiff, ridiculously noisy (due to previous owner installing a "sports exhaust"), takes long to warm up in winter (due to very well ventilated engine bay and lots of coolant) and hard to get in and out of, but if I could, I'd drive nothing but that..

AWD and base 265hp? Also, drive an Audi once. You'll see.

If you're not a shitskin heroin dealer you don't buy a golf here in the NL

>wants to enjoy "full potential" of the car
>doesn't know fun can be had under 50mph

Funny how he posted a car that's great for going under 50

>exhibition of speed
what cuck country is this?

>Funny how he posted a car that's great for going under 50

actually no
the old cayman was fine for that, but the new one has paradoxically way too good suspension and feels more like a fucking golf at low speeds

Dude I perfectly understand what you're saying because not so long ago I also had the same idea:
Why would you need a sports car? All you gotta do is commuting back and forth, not only it's wasted but the road isn't your personal track.

Then eventually you start to have some feeling of going faster, and it starts ramping up more and more. I don't race in the middle of the day,
I do it late at night when I know there's none expect others that wants to go fast.
Here is where you realize that you can't experience nothing with a diesel shitbox.

Yes I can, it's called "dangerous driving" and in Italy is like the gestapo deporting because they suspect you did something:
the police can decide or not when you're dangerously driving and fine you.

Wow it's almost like you can drive it to somewhere you can go fast!

Bikers argue about this too. Muh liter is too much for a 35mph zone i wasted my money a bloo bloo bloo. Wah wah wah going fast on a public road is too dangerous and illegal. Waaaah. Well then, pay for your $150 tech card and lap the fucking racetrack!

most people dont live in rural england

>What is the point of owning a sports car?

Have fun.

/thread

>sports car
>something like a BRZ or Miata

Ultra KEK at american faggotry

>Title about sports car
>Picture with a sports car on it
>Talk about shitboxes

WTF ?

>get in boring cuckbox to cuckcommute like retarded normies in muh comfy

>BRZ
>sports car
Nah mate it's inexpensive sporty car built to do DD service. Of course it's not for average normies. It's for people who enjoy the driving experience and ability to do some hooning despite its flaws because it's inexpensive.

>I just honestly can’t see why the average normie would want one.
They don't. That's why they have all of those normal shitboxes inbetween.

it's a toy for men.

>you’ll never be able to use the car to its full potential
>i don't know what race tracks are
> In the country, there’s massive danger in traveling at a very high speed due to the risk of bottoming out in a pothole or a deer running into the road.
>I am a massive bitch

fixed your post

Had a 2006 accord coupe, was a nice car, I don't really have anything bad to say about it; fun but sensible. Traded it in as the clutch/flywheel started getting loose at 175,000.

>”sporty driving" or highway pulls
Mfw I bought and use my e82 for this reason alone because it breaks the monotony out of life. Feels good to jump on the freeway at the end of the day and fly by cuckmobiles

Even if one is not into hitting the touge or car culture in general, sports cars can serve a purpose to the most normie of wageslaves

for fun

How is it possible to be this correct. I love my car, the way it looks, the way it handles, the way it sounds, I love driving it, I couldn't give less of a fuck about mpg or comfort.

>not living in Germany

You can take turns faster.

You're NOT driving the same car as everyone else.

You generally have a better power to weight ratio than everyone else, so you can overtake more readily, even inside the speed limit, which by the way, nobody actually obeys. Traffic can be avoided by careful route planning and knowing alternate routes.

You're not leaving five seats empty, just 1 or 1.5.

>not being able to legally modify my own car

I think not.

>base model audi
>performance

do europoors actually believe this?

>tfw no 1.1L diesel
Seriously why can't we in the US not adopt common sense car controls already! How many more people have to die!

>Germany has some of the least strict modification laws in the world