SAAAAAAAAB

I'm looking for a fast, decent to drive, not terrible on fuel car with good storage.
I have to do a lot of motorway miles for work and am bored of my diesel skoda.
Was thinking about a subaru wrx wagon or a Legacy but then came across the Saab 9-3 with the 2.8 v6 turbo.
What's Veeky Forums's opinion on saab?

Saab's /ourcar/

Drove an 09 9-3 aero just a few weeks ago.

The clutch was so light I wasn't sure it was working, changing gears was not notchy nor satisfying, the steering was numb and vague, the interior quality was unimpressive, and it was certainly quick but you're so insulated you don't get any sense of speed. This is compared to an 04 RX-8 for reference.

I'm sure they're good cars as DDs if you need a sedan, and they're definitely more fun than 80% of econoboxes and SUVs you find on the road, but it's certainly not what you'd call a drivers car.

There's no doubt it's fast, decent to drive, good on fuel and has plenty of storage, but honestly if you're looking for fun and and engaged driving experience you should look elsewhere.

Personally I don't like them, but a lot of that is from my job. They are quirky cars, with equally quirky owners. Parts are becoming harder to find, especially the ones that are common problems.

I'd probably go with a 9-5 over a 9-3. More room, better quality, the engine is easier and cheaper to operate.

The 9-3 is pretty good, especially the 2.8 AWD. The interior is not quite what is aspires to be, gm tightened the purse strings around 06. The drivetrain is fairly reliable. It is pretty tunable.

S A A B A R U

Buy it for the Night Panel and sweet cup holder

You're a boyracer faggot. Just get a subaru so we can identify you from a safe distance. Just get a v6 Accord and grow the fuck up.

+1

Too bad MPH cancered versions have shitty dash while the clean original KM/h is just green.

>v6 Saab
Stay away, go for the 2.3s and tune if you want more power

who makes parts for these late model 9-3s? I think parts are impossible to find

BAIC/Beijing Automotives
They bought everything from GM, except for the 'Saab' trademark

I drive a 2006 Saab 9-5 2.0t sprtwagon. It's just a very nice car. It has good acceleration, it's very nimble and agile, yet it is extremely stable. It deflects the wind very well, I'd say. I usually cross bridges over water, where the winds often reach storm strength, and this is the most stable car I've ever driven. You point it in a direction, and it goes there.
It is also nice, because it is basicly an old car in a new cars clothes. It was developed in 1997, but it has been facelifted in 2006, so it looks ''modern'' and digital on the inside, but the driving experience is very analog. You feel the road through the pedals and the steering wheel, and you are always aware of the conditions, because the car lets you know. not in a bad way, because it is very comfortable to drive, but in a more subtle and sensitive way.
It's just a very nice car.

The 2.8 turbo is pretty good. Not sure I would enjoy working on it though.

The b235 can only take so much tunning due to light weight internals. The B234 on the other hand gives no shits and will take as much boost as you can manage.

>so it looks ''modern'' and digital on the inside
And shit. I can't stand the post-2002 93s, they look boring as fuck. It's a shame becuase they were gorgious as hatchbacks.

I drive a 9000, nice car, though I'm having some idle issues

Agreed. A Saab 9-5 isn't a 9-3 though, and my interior looks nice. The interior of the later 9-3's look pretty nice though.

>A Saab 9-5 isn't a 9-3 though
Fugg, I guess I can't read.
Yeah, the later 9-5s are alright but even then I liked that the origional 9-5s looked a bit like the 9000. All later Saabs seem like they're trying too hard to be BMWs to me.

93 with big turbo is best sedan. Safe as hell, 200+ hp, 300+ with exhaust, intercooler and a tune. Great interior with good quality and featureset.

Unfortunately the ricerfags know this as well, so be wary buying used.

1998 Saab 9-3 owner reporting in

Fantastic car, easy and comfortable to drive, surprisingly silent at high speeds, visibility is also pretty damn good so it's easy to drive around car parks.
Not a very exciting car though, the knob that adjusts the positions of the fans will break if you turn it too quickly and the car isn't made with tall people in mind. It does have back seats but the passengers will have next to no legroom. Large boot though so that's great.

Pic related, my Saab. The interior isn't what I'd prefer but it's in good condition so I don't mind too much. Picture taken in the summer but it hasn't changed since then. Can also confirm that the night dash is comfy as fuck.

Used to own a 01' 95
>tfw those comfy seats

I love them.
I own a '90 Saab 900i.
Thinking about buying a V4 96.

Saab owner/nerd here...

This. Never did like the feel or look of 9-3s.

This was really only true for the early Opel-derived B308 V6s that appeared in 9-5s before 2004, and its related 2.5L variant in NG900s. Those engines are best to avoid. The B284 in the 06-09 9-3s is nowhere near as problematic or slouchy.

BAIC owns the rights to a bunch of Saab models, but they do not make the parts. Orio AB (still 100% Swedish ownership) is in charge of that, parts have really not been much of an issue with a few annoying exceptions.

>I'm looking for a fast, decent to drive, not terrible on fuel car with good storage.
Golf GTI.

It's a shame that Saabs in decent condition with leather seats are like unicorns where I am.

this too desu. saabs are /comfyasitgets/ amazing cruisers and can be pretty fast too.
but op, whats ur budget, you absolute faggot

he said fast

>not terrible on fuel
My dude, I fucking love my 9-5, but less be real here. I get fantastic highway milage, but get trash city mileage. That said I fucking love it, and highly encourage you to follow the path of the comfy life. All Saabs I've seen in my area are well kept, cheap, and all-around good deals. I bought my 9-5 wagon at 140k miles for 2.5k, full and regular service history, owners manual and other paperwork. I have no plans to ever sell it.
>mfw local stealership wanted 8k for one of those
>mfw he had the exact fucking same sti inprezza model on the lot for 5
Its a sweet body kit, but not 3k sweet

I have a 2008 93 manual 2.0T. AMA.