The Dream is Dead: No Case for S2000 Revival

>Hayato Mori, Senior Manager of product planning for Honda Canada, told AutoGuide.com recently that the S2000 was a car of the past and we’re probably never going to see another iteration because of the current climate of cars in North America. People who buy crossovers are dominating the market, and small, convertible sports cars and roadsters are impossible for companies to make any money on because of their relative impracticality in the eyes of today’s buyer.

autoguide.com/auto-news/2018/01/honda-s2000-definitely-never-coming-back-honda-exec-says.html

Other urls found in this thread:

austin.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-honda-s2000-base/6475028506.html
austin.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-honda-s2000-2dr-conv/6471873655.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-s2000-in-excellent/6451668180.html
austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-honda-sk-miles-never/6455334958.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Just buy the original one. What's wrong with it?

They're all used.

How is that a problem? All of the best cars ever made were made 10+ yrs ago.

Because eventually they'll all be driven into the ground.

Well if people like something so much they will spend money restoring/modifying them

They fucked up with the NSX, you think they won't fuck a new S2000 too?

>spending 20+k (new car money) on an old ass roadster with lots of miles on it then spending even more money to fix wear and tear
eh,
>They fucked up with the NSX
only to senna niggers.

thats what you have to do with any old car, GTRs, etc.

Yea, luckily you can still buy a new GTR, you can still buy a new GT350, you can still buy a new Type R etc.

Even in the worst case scenario, you'd have something easier to live with than the other small sports cars

buy one of those then

But if you want a new S2000 you can't.

>only to senna niggers.
I don't give a dead moose's last shit about senna and muh legacy. The NSX is a fat ugly whore when it used to be a svelte athelete.

The old NSX was also fat compared to what you could get that was cheaper (RX7) and about on par with a base C4 COrvette unless you wanted to get jewed out of even more money for your "affordable" """super""" car.

but i dont want a new one friend, buy an older one and modify it, it'll still be a great car.

Senna doing anything more than a few laps in the original is nothing more than a myth.
Doubt it, hybrid and paddle shift only would be my guess.

Does the Civic Type R have a hybrid system and paddle shifters?

It has driving modes wich is just as stupid.

Seems to be a very enjoyable experience for even veteran hot hatch lovers regardless minus the styling. people just underestimate how expensive "hybrid paddle shifters only" tech is and assume manufacturers will do it on everything out of spite.

>convertible sports cars and roadsters are impossible for companies to make any money on because of their relative impracticality in the eyes of today’s buyer.
send my cheque in mail guys

Not a crossover, no money made because the morons that insist on crossovers outnumber the people who buy sedans

I think this speaks volumes of the financial stability of Honda/Acura, more than it does anything else.

Look at other companies do what Honda says isn't lucrative, and still doing it because it does net them some profit and people like it. Honda doesn't seem to realize the hype behind the s2000, and believes that it wouldn't sell when in fact, it would probably sell a lot more than their type R has.

The S2000 was a purebred. Making its successor an abomination only ruins its legacy.

If they brought it back itd probably have some hybrid nonsense with tablet infotainment shit.

fucking heretic

All the other companies that have roadsters have been making them continuously and before the S2000 was even made like the Miata and BMW Z cars. they've had time to shoe-horn themselves into the market and if you look at Miata and BMW Z sells they also pretty much handed honda their asses in sells. its probably lucrative for others but the market might be too saturated for Honda to try and get back in that market this late in the game is what their contemplating. Don't get me wrong though i don't agree with their reasoning as i think they should've tried anyway. I've agreed with most of Honda's decisions thus far as i felt they were very ambitious with the revival of 2 of their performance nameplates (3 if you count the Type S badges coming back to Acura cars) but it seems like they aren't being ballsy with this project in particular and that's a shame.

And they are shrinking
Mazda sold half as many Miatas last year compared to 25 years ago ('17 11k vs '93 22k)
And last year had the highest sales since 2007

>impossible for companies to make money
>people are buying $60k trucks for the status
>the 3 American "sports" cars are selling like hotcakes
>the Toyotabaru sold like there is no tomorrow and the only complaint was lack of power, creating a perfect niche for a S2000 v2
>370z is gone leaving a hole in its market
Honda you done fucked up

The original was tiny, what the hell are you saying?
This looks really nice for a sedan

"Tiny" in physical size but you could get cars that weighed less for less money which is everyone's gripe with the new one.

Yeah, you're right but the nsxR was lighter than the spirit r or corvette

It's because people only own one vehicle these days, if a new vehicle at all.

>Toyotabaru sold like there is no tomorrow
As much as I like the car despite its faults, the car sold terribly.
They sell less than 10k units per year
Last year the GT86 only sold 7k units in the US
The BRZ only sold around 4k units

nobody drives these types of cars anymore user.
My boss sold his C6 manual for a Auto Challanger because he got tired of shifting and wanted a bigger car.

but there are 3 versions of the same car, is that 10k units for all 3 cars?

I like the cars but after driving one they definitely need more power. Power is fine for daily driving but for hill flogging its not great.

True, NSX-R was also insanely expensive. when people argue that the original NSX was "affordable" and "light" i wish they'd pick one.

It's approx 10k total for all models in 2017 USA
FRS and GT86 sales of 2017
BRZ sales of 2017

This is actually worse than last year. Even though the economy is doing better, people simply arent buying sport coupes anymore.

Crossover meme is crushing everything, and it will make the toyoburus extinct

No, they learned valuable lesson over the years. Most “Car guys” can’t buy shit. If everybody wanted manual sports car, they would do it to make money. Simply people are not buying them. Problem is “you”

The Miata is, weirdly, Mazda's halo car. I expect that the next iteration will go up in price, too. Anyway, Honda has made the right call for themselves. Half of Murrica likes pigfat muttmobiles that are neither car nor truck, the other half wants Freightliner tractors. A sports car here can't have less than 500bhp or else it offends Team MAGA's sexual mores. Lefties hate anything that burns liquid dino. There's no place for the S2K here. RIP in pieces.

Fuck, and porsche is looking to axe the 718 too. What car do I have to look forward to now?

REMOVE BOOMERS

Death take me now, I can't deal with this reality.

Not the 718, rear intakes are sexy ;_;

Boomers love sports cars of all types though. The average meet here in Oregon is dominated by older people. The culprits in my eyes are the Boomer's kids, who place safety, practicality, and sometime efficiency at the top of their lists when car shopping. It's the generation eagerly looking forward to automated driving. Maybe it's the Boomer's fault for raising them in an environment where "fun" was strictly controlled and managed. Or maybe it's because having a second or third car for fun is hard for a generation that has had trouble gaining traction in their careers and adult lives because their parents refuse to retire.
Anyway, it's clear that if you like light cheap sports cars, you need to go buy a S2K, ND, 86, MR2, or something now, and then maintain the hell out of it, as we seem to be seeing the category's dying moments. It's why I got a 10y warranty on my ND, as I don't expect that there will really be anything that will replace it in my lifetime, unless Mazda pulls a miracle out of its ass again.

Its over user.
The future is driverless generic sedans with 10speed auto trannys or cvts and 20in touchpads

i know we the brz and mx5 are pretty pure, but the japs have just lost their way for the most part. nothing but soulless commuters and half baked revivals with nothing in common with their predecessors. sure they ate their econobox veggies in the 90s but it was so they could have that small but awesome sports car segment that they could take a bit of a loss on. now theyve realized that veggies dole out more dollarydoos than dessert.

I test drove an ND recently and I want one bad but I need to figure out how I can afford it.

Is there a rideshare suicide service I can hail yet?

Jdm fangirls btfo again.
JDM died in the early 00's.

My neighbor sold his M3 and got a new Silverado because he said it's more practical and doesn't need as much work

Maybe buying a 1000 dollar civic to not put miles into my s2k might be a good idea. 10 years from now a low mile s2k will be unicorn rare

>not enjoying your car so you can sell it to someone for more money in 10 years
kys

i can just track it on weekends to enjoy it but puttin 60 miles on it everyday is kinda harsh

>spending over 20k for a 10 year old car with over 100k miles.

>20k for 100k mile s2k
nigga what
bought mine for 17k with 68k miles on it thouhg it was a 03 ap1

Sad but true words, small light "fun" sports cars don't sell anymore, and haven't for a long time. Companies aren't going to dump tons of research and develpoment into making a new cool "drivers car" for it to sell like shit. Look at the frs/brz, it's the car that people have been saying the wanted for a long time but the numbers just aren't here. The Miata only does well because it's the poster boy for Mazda and has had 20+ years to build up it's fan base to insane levels. The cold hard truth is that the loud "car guys" who shake thier fists yelling for drivers cars to come back dont actually buy them.

You guys must live in the worst possible places if a fucking s2k is over 20k with high miles.

austin.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-honda-s2000-base/6475028506.html

austin.craigslist.org/ctd/d/2000-honda-s2000-2dr-conv/6471873655.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2001-honda-s2000-in-excellent/6451668180.html

austin.craigslist.org/cto/d/2006-honda-sk-miles-never/6455334958.html

Yeah, the 86s failure put the nails in the coffin. The "enthusiast" community showed that they're not worth the time of day.

This
The main reason i bought my s2k is because of how raw, basic, and timeless it is
A new one, going by what they did to the nsx, would be completely the opposite

looks like an audi make that last window a bit bendy at the bottom part and its totally hhhhuuurrrduuuuuur

>no new sXXXXk car
Thank you based Honda! My AP1 is going to be worth thirty fucking grand in ten years.

Porsche should get back to its roots and make cheap and comparatively light tourers.

Bought my 02 with 42 for 16k 2 years ago

You can blame fractional reserve lending, fiat currency, and immigration for all of this, because if it wasn't for those things, everyone wouldn't be too fucking poor to afford anything fun.

Fuel economy and safety regulations aren't helping any either, but it's not as big a factor as everyone being poor.

I'm genuinely not surprised, with the middle class shrinking there are less people who have play money or conscience to buy impractical fun cars.

Also car "enthusiasts" today are some of the most deadbeat consumers, constantly demanding for new sports cars but never buying them.

This
Death of the middleclass killed the "cheap weekender" market
Poorfags buy used
Richfags buy exotics
No room for anything else

What they should do for the US market at least is Aerial Atom style kit cars (all you have to do is put the side mirrors on) and tell safety and emissions regs to go fuck themselves.

>mazda 3

Enthusiast community still exists, but now they are overwhelmingly in the light truck market. The aftermarket for light trucks in the US dwarfs any other segment. Just walk into any auto store and see how much bullshit they sell for picks ups vs regular cars

>he bought an ap1.

Disgraceful

because thats totally why the miata, the 124, the brz/frs/86, is to compete with a fucking family wagon those companies are not making them for the pleasure of driving the s2k was not suposed to be the best seller its to produce the best

the auto manufactures need to pull the heads out of their asses and produce great cars again like dodge

ehh, mb im just spitting out shit, I see them all the time

The challenger, camaro, and mustang are the cars I am talking about

those landbarges arnt roadsters which are what Honda would like to make but no one will buy.
Imagine a Honda V8 rwd pony car tho

if it was going to look like that, glad they didn't bother

I miss the dart

>rebadge a bunch of shitty FIATs
Sergio deserves to hang for this

Despite that the 2.4L "Tigershark" Dart was pretty good right?

>370z
>gone
What? You can go buy a 2018 model right now.

>The "enthusiast" community showed that they're not worth the time of day
If Veeky Forums represents what an "enthusiast" is, then let it all burn. This is poorfag shitbox benchracer central, where maybe 1 in 10 of us actually have a decent car.

hes not wrong. not targeting the biggest market and continuing to lose money on things like the integra type r is what caused honda massive financial problems in the late 90's and early 2000's. it got to the point where mitsubishi was about to do a takeover of the company. yeah, that mitsubishi that thinks an eclipse should be a crossover.

we do still have the miata and the toyobaru twins. at least theres that.

i blame women

It literally hasn't had any meaningful changes in a decade, and Nissan has been quoted basically saying that they don't give a shit about it. Only a matter of time before it's dropped.

Wow. You can now buy a 2018 that looks like mac & cheese? Don't wanna miss that!

well yeah, bmws are insanely poor in reliability and repair costs

Your neighbor is a massive faggot. If he wanted something more practical I understand that, but buying a Silverado is full-retard.

This. The "enthusiast" community are a bunch of LARPing faggots who ignore the very thing they asked for-- "small & light" --and then go get some pigfat, hunk of cheap American plastic shit, that won't turn, because of:

>Muh 0-60!
>Muh Nurburgering times!

The BRZ an FRS are both infinitely more fun to drive than ANY of the Mustangs save for the $70k GT350R. Yet no one is buying the BRZ or FRS. If I were the Japanese car companies I would shut down every sports car project that retails for under $65k and tell the "enthusiast" community to go fuck itself.

my main point is RWD 2door impractical cars that people buy. But you are right

toyota/subaru really missed the mark on the FRS/BRZ. if they offered it with 50 more hp stock it would have been a much more serious performance car, on par with the performance bargain that the 2005 STI was

I disagree, because they designed what the community said they wanted. They are dirt cheap and 2700 pounds and have incredible handling. They were to handle like a real sports car should and built to be modified. You put a Crawford Supercharger on it, full exhaust, new wheels and tires you have the beginning of an incredible machine that will be wicked fast. That's what everyone screamed they wanted for a full 15-20 years. And Toyota/Subaru delivered on it.

Now you have all these poorfag NEETs and Best Buy "salesmen" crying that they can't afford $300 a month for a car payment and won't buy them new, but want to wait 10 years and pick up one that has been thrashed already.

No, it's not the car, it's the shitty fucking """community""". The Japanese should never fall for any more poorfag/benchracer internet-whining assclowns and flat out fucking ignore sports cars that cost less than $65k. If you can't afford the payment on a $65k car, you should be driving a Hyundai Elantra base model.

>but I need to figure out how I can afford
Which is exactly why there won't be another S2K.

>You put a Crawford Supercharger on it, full exhaust, new wheels and tires you have the beginning of an incredible machine that will be wicked fast.
Just buy a Mustang GT. See this is the problem here.

Exactly. It's a shame that the Japanese sports car community is 98% broke losers. All those wonderful cars that will never be built because these retards can't go to school and get halfway decent jobs.

>Just buy a Mustang GT

I already covered this. The Mustang is fat, heavy, big, handles like dogshit, looks like crap, and is full of chintzy ugly plastic. Not only that they literally fall apart and look like shit after just a couple of years.

This is why we can't have nice things. The whole fucking point of buying an "enthusiast" Japanese sports car is that you buy it with the intent of modifying it; that's what Japanese people do. You spend $27k on the car, and another $13-16k on mods and then watch it annihilate any Mustang short of the GT350.

If I'm right (and I usually am) they are going to shut down the FRS/BRZ and all of the other cheap Jap sports cars for good. You won't see anything less than $45k after that. Personally, I wouldn't so much as create a sports car for under $60k bare minimum, just so I don't have to deal with the whining of the "enthusiast community".

>ignore sports cars that cost less than
I mean, they all end up more luxury than sports because that's the only way to make them seem worth the price. The only exceptions are Lotus and Lotus-like oddballs like Alfa 4C, but Lotus being perpetually on verge of bankruptcy should be telling.

>retards can't go to school
They can and do. Only to have crippling debt drag them down for most of their prime. By the time they get out and can afford cool shit, either passion is gone or they are big guys with bigger aspirations than a stripped-out rattlebox.

>debt

Go to 2 years of Community College and pay cash, then transfer to a decent state school. The only reason you idiots have debt in college is because you suck with money and your parents are sub-humans.

I just fucking graduated and lived at home the entire time and paid for college with a part time fucking job. Your debt wasn't for an education it was for a 4-5 year "experience" of wanting to go see new places, party, and engage in a shitload of degeneracy. You deserve the fucking bill.

>The Mustang is fat, heavy, big, handles like dogshit
How true is this?
I've always been curious because I've only owned older lightweight turbo cars (Classic Saabs, MR2, driving an NA miata now).
I'm having a hard time imagining driving anything else.

>2700 pounds
>achieves that weight partially by having shit wheels
>sports an engine that's a poor first attempt at direct injection
>implying anyone wanted the 86's supposed successor to sport a boxer from another company
Toyota delivered nothing except a literal copout. It's literally more Subaru's machine then theirs.
The aftermarket jumping on this thing is only a symptom of desperation after the 90s killed most sportscars off.

It's not like it would matter if they brought the s2000 back. Most of the """""enthusiasts""""" would immediately say "FUCK YEAH in five years I will be able to buy a used one!". And then they would bitch and moan and wonder why they discontinued the car six years later. Poorfags make up a large part of the enthusiast world and they generally buy used cars, which kills the new car market.

nah the one that destroyed new NSX is Honda USA

It's fat, big, and heavy, but handles well. Coyote 5.0 is a nice engine too. Coming from a bmw e92 owner