After Miata what is the next best fun rwd car? Mr2?

After Miata what is the next best fun rwd car? Mr2?

z06 i'm told

Anything with a v8

Dodge Viper

t.MR2owner

Is the answer always a Miata with an LS swap?

e36 m3

I want one but when the fuck did they get so expensive? Way too much for a car with under 250 to the wheels

can't speak for ZZW30 or AW11 but SW20 is underwhelming at best, in any trim

RX-8

Probably an RX8, its pretty much just a Miata with more power and weight

And different suspension

Any Mustang you can get cheaply since you can easily fuck with them and beat on them without worry.

ferrari f40

There just aren't enough MR2s out there for it to be the next stage from the Miata

>aw11
All driven into the ground, anything other than drivetrain components are rare as fug

>sw20
Official boyracer MR2, and thus have all been beat to death

The non turbo cars with the 5S are awful, and clean, unmodded turbo examples are disgustingly rare, thus overpriced

>zzw30
Sort of ugly, but that could be forgiven for the potential handling capabilities. The aftermarket for this car is the smallest out of all, as it is easily the least popular.

You also have to put up with the fact that it is a convertible, so there is a shit load of chassis flex. This can be solved, obviously, but it takes money. Also, because it is a convertible, you have very little cargo space.

There is also the awful 1ZZ-FED that you have to contend with. Pre-facelift W30s suffer from oil burning that varies in severity with the prior maintenance of the car, and every single W30 was equipped with fucking awful pre-cats that can get too hot, then essentially disintegrate and get sucked back into the combustion chamber, thus scoring the walls. This scoring can get so bad that you have to either bore the engine out, then sleeve it, or you can opt for a new engine. Neither route is cheap.

>tl;dr: MR2s have too many issues for the average enthusiast to contend with when compared to the Miata

>RX8
The RX8 falls into the category of weird issues, but all can be solved semi easily. Carbon buildup can be prevented and even negated by hooning everywhere (it is actually good to redline rotary engines regularly, fyi), thus extending the life of the apex seals.

An aftermarket oiling solution can be employed to fix the shitty oiling that you get with the stock OMP for relatively cheap, too.

RX8s are amazing fun too; easily one of the most fun 3000 lbs car to drive. Avoid 2004-2005 models if you choose to get one.

rx-7

>cont

>Mustang
Probably the next step for the average enthusiast, as the aftermarket is massive, they are mechanically simple, common, and relatively cheap. All around good cars.

And like said, they can be beat on without worry. MR2s are too rare for this in my eyes, and RX8s are sort of temperamental. On the other hand, Mustangs are so common that every issue has been solved, and parts are available for any possible issue.

How are rx7s I was thinking that if I get any RX it would be an fc. Are they really that bad and cost alot or is that a myth.

GTO

I can't speak for the FC, as I have never worked on one or known someone who has one, but they seem reasonably reliable if you drive it properly. Of course, they rust and are all beat up.

I would still take a Mustang if I had to daily it.

That's the thing. I was thinking about an RX7 but I just didn't have the month it would have taken to figure out what all goes in to them and what to watch out for and what to be prepared to deal with, all before finding time to go check it out in person.

It gave me sads, since it kind of looked like a decent specimen.

SW20, zzw30, aw11.
Literally everyone who has owned an mr2 and crashed/sold theirs and gotten a miata, has sold the miata like a week later and gotten another mr2.

Why? I've always had an MR2 fetish, but mainly as a foamer and an autist. What's the hook driving one?

My miata got stolen, decided to go the MR2 turbo route because it's cheap, fast, unique and has great handling.

I sold it and bought a miata again. The MR2 is a great trackday weapon but it's hardly fun day to day, you can't throw it around, you can't drift it when you want to fool around in the wet, the targa sucks and obviously no vert option so hardtop is the only way to go, they're surprisingly expensive to insure and holy fuck they have the worst turning circle ever.

I'd love to have both but i'd rather the miata if i had to choose (And i did)

zzw30 owner here.
>>zzw30
>Sort of ugly, but that could be forgiven for the potential handling capabilities. The aftermarket for this car is the smallest out of all, as it is easily the least popular.
absolutely true except its not ugly, i think its the cutest car ever made with personality to match
>You also have to put up with the fact that it is a convertible, so there is a shit load of chassis flex. This can be solved, obviously, but it takes money.
I got chassis braces front and rear for 250. All you really desperately need is the one for the front of the car.
>Also, because it is a convertible, you have very little cargo space.
True, it has less than other m2\s and miatas but it is not an issue unless you want to carry shopping for a family of 20 every day. It is plenty spacious to be a very practical daily.
>There is also the awful 1ZZ-FED that you have to contend with. Pre-facelift W30s suffer from oil burning that varies in severity with the prior maintenance of the car, and every single W30 was equipped with fucking awful pre-cats that can get too hot, then essentially disintegrate and get sucked back into the combustion chamber, thus scoring the walls. This scoring can get so bad that you have to either bore the engine out, then sleeve it, or you can opt for a new engine. Neither route is cheap.

Yes it is true but it is overall a meme.
I have not yet seen a single zzw30 that drinks oil. Neither one with 80k miles or one with 300k miles. Both with precats intact. Sw20 drinks oil to the extent of having to refill multible times an evening.

The engine is fine, the issue is massively overblown. Seeing how everyone deletes precats and how many people don
t, actual recorded cases of the engine destroying itself are so rare that I have never seen a thread or heard anyone say "my precats disintegrated and now my engine is exploded

and I\ve been in every spyder forum and fb group.

stang is a shit car with floppy chassis and overweight that only drives in straight line. It is not a car to go up from a miata, if anything it is a car to go to if you want a sportier truck.

its midengined and does't have le ebin meme weight distribution but has actual real meme weight distribution.

Oh and it tries to kill you.
>it's hardly fun day to day, you can't throw it around, you can't drift it when you want to fool around in the wet,

You can you just need to realize the chassis are different due to engine layout.
My first time I sat behind sw20 wheel I was on a icy, snowy parking lot.
After ending up backwards a few times I was able to drift it perfectly.
Not to mention MR2\s do insanely well on ice track which is basically time trial drifting.

It is nowhere near forgiving as an miat nor can you get as wide an angle as a miat as a trade off on track it will btfo a miat.

The guy who traded in miat to get sw20 back hits track, so I guess that was the reason

So what's it like, you just have to sit on the rear and keep thrusting straight and use the fronts to stop it from understeering?

funny, so far i found it's the other way around
i have a friend who owns mr2 and after driving a miata he started to have second thoughts
and sales seems to match this, miata simply oblitirated mr2, which is a shame because it deserved to sell better but that's besides the point
even zww30 got completly destroyed despite the fact that toyota was actually selling them cheaper than the nb 1.8 and has better brand recognition

>After Miata what is the next best fun rwd car ?
Porsche 911 GT2 RS

okay but are they fun to drive?? you didn't answer the question.

Smart Roadster comes before the Miata and Americans just dont know the fun they're missing out on. Holy shit the roadster is like a twice the fun of a miata, it's the most fun car ever built.

>autotragic
lol

Rx-8 is more of a pain than zzw30. Precats can be permanently removed in about 30 minutes. Still carb legal and will pass smog

Even sounds like one when you delete the muffler :^)
Definitely an enjoyable ride but you're not going to the touge in it.

I said rx-7 because I own an FC, and can tell you if you know how to take care of it, reliability is NOT an issue. people will meme it to death, but you only learn that it's not actually that bad once you own one.

79-04 mustang.

Not much point getting an M3 when you can get an e92 335i for around the same price.

Yeah idk at this point I might just become a homo hairdresser and get a Miata, it seems it's the best car to have as a decent DD and an even better fun twisties car

Fpbp

I thought RX-8's were shitty meme cars with horrible engines. Are they expensive to fix?

The meme itself is that they have horrible engines/are a bad car. People don't like actually having to (gasp) take care of their car. The Renesis is absolutely unforgiving of poor maintenance and driving, but if you change the oil as often as you can stand to, premix, and rev the crap out of it whenever you get the chance to it'll give very few problems. There just isn't much to fail with only 3 major moving parts, and so the few things that are able to fail get meme'd to death since they're the only troubles it ever has.

The car itself is absolutely amazing, with some of the best handling you can find in any road going car, especially for the price. It's a bit heavy compared to other sports cars at 3,000 pounds, but it sure doesn't show that in how it gets around corners.

As far as cost, I bought mine for 1800 bucks as a former street drifter's car with a blown engine and it only took about 4 grand to go from total junker to daily drivable. I'd say fairly cheap, as long as you're smart about it and don't let a stealership or mescamic charge you stupid prices for simple jobs.

Reliability wise as in not leaving you stranded, I'll put it this way. When I pulled the (still "running") blown engine and tore it down, it had two out of 4 bearings spun completely, the other two flaking, apex seals were at half of new spec or less, and the rotor housing coating was grooved, chatter marked, and flaking off of the rotor housings. It still ran as long as it wasn't allowed to idle or die, and could hit 9000 rpm with no sign of trouble other than slight power loss. Essentially, you can't outright kill it to the point of not getting home if you tried.

Volvo 240

What's so bad about the 5s model isn't that a reliable engine at least?

fd

It isn't the engine itself, it's just the lack of power and torque. The very base model 5S equipped cars made 135 hp to a 2650 lbs car, so it is pitifully slow. It also revs lower than the 3S-GE and GTE cars, so you don't even have the fun of revving high.

>literally roided out miata with truccc engine that wants u dead
perfect

Air cooled Beetle- Parts are cheap, and it's easy to work on.
Miata has cheap parts and it's easy to work on.

MR2 has cheap parts if you go with the base model but working on it can get difficult at times.

fun= easy to work on, cheap parts, and fun to drive.

yeah a 335 makes more power and has great tuning capabilities but if you don't have an unlimited income then a twin turbo bmw probably isnt the smartest idea

Miata NB

Smart Roadster

I have a 5S mr2 and I can attest for the lack of power, the HP is enough if you are just putting around town and commuting (which is what I do in mine) and it gets faily good gas mileage (i get high 20s and i still kinda drive it hard) but if you want to race, nah, you could maybe beat family sedans from the 90s but nothing else really if they try. that being said if you have curvy roads and are already up to speed it still is a fun car. Thats why a lot of them end up swapped, which is also what I'm going to do to mine once I've finished my degree.

A truck.

Can put it into 4x4 and rip shit up.
Can smash into things without damage.
Can drift the fuck out of rough roads.
Probably faster than the 90hp rwd's.

except the MR2 was never FWD. MR = mid rear.

What the fuck are you talking about

t. fatass

t. powerlet

Since this is the closest to a Miata general on Veeky Forums right now... how hard would it be to repair damage like this? I found a good offer on an NB but the rust looks pretty bad to my uninformed eyes

Then get the non M3, it's hardly different and non ME e36's are dirt fucking cheap, and the M engines are still tough enough to handle fuckloads of boost that there is no need to swap to an S engine, many even argue the transmission on the non M3 is better

He said RWD you stupid idiot

This

M is a meme for status and dickwaving, the biggest differences is suspension, and you can get aftermarket parts for non M that perform better than the M3 stuff

there's a pretty solid aw11 supercharged near me for 2800, 170k miles, this thread is making me think i should get it, would I regret it if I let it go? I'm kinda new to cars

Should I just get a Miata then

S2000 > Miata