Why are millennials leasing cars?

Why are millennials leasing cars?

Because they're afraid of commitment.

Because they are terrified of debt but want to drive something since they don't know how to fix things and have no self confidence in work they do with their own hands.

Don't have to do maintenance.
Don't have to worry about things breaking.
A lease on a shitbox is about the same as most people's phone bills. aka cheap.

Sorry I meant

They're communists. They're against ownership.

Jokes on them; even if you buy a car chances are the state still owns it. They're just dumb, really.

Cause I rather spend 10k-15k in three years to drive a nice new car than buy a used car for the same price that I'm eventually going to sell anyways

Cars are a commodity, I'm not going to die because I spent an extra 3-5k for something much better

Because they are poor and can't afford to buy cars and throw them away like boomers did.

Probably because they were raised in a way where their entire existence is continuously reduced to a monthly payment. School loans, cell phone bills, apartment, utilities, insurance, car loans/lease, random meme internet purchases which can literally all be financed through shit like PayPal credit, etc...

Not everyone has the luxury of living through a countries golden age and shit on it at the same time like boomers.

Glad you were raised in an age where you were taught jealousy and to blame your problems on people who did what you probably would have done in their place.

t. not a big bad boogeyman boomer

>they
>they
>they

get over yourselves, you're all millennials

The victim complex is strong with kids nowadays.

GenX are the ones who started the whole victim complex industry...

nah, I'm not a greedy self-centered sociopath

Kinda sounds like you might be, tbqf.

>Pay half of what the car is worth
>Return it before shit starts to go wrong (~3years/36k km)
>Not worrying about repairs
>Not dealing with reseelling shitty car and devaluation

Because mainstream advertising makes no mention of the fact that you can buy a car outright. Like when was the last time you saw a car commercial that said "MSRP of only $18,999?" compared to "Get up to 0% APR when you lease for just $99/month for the rest of your miserable fucking life." Also the general shift from products/purchasing to services/renting - renting houses is often more common than buying, Microsoft Office is now subscription-based, etc etc.

>yfw the inevitable "buy a waymo pass for only $29.99 a month and get unlimited driverless taxi rides" takes over everything

They're poor and it lets them 'afford' a 'swaggier' car.

You realize you get a return of your investment when you sell the car, right? That 15k corolla becomes a 9k corolla, you sell it, get your down payment for a higher trim, higher end investment, rinse and repeat. You build or maintain credit, get a better car, and do it again in 5 years when the car is paid off and you're bored with it.

Then boom, you sell a 35k car for 25k, you have a significant down payment on an even better car, and for the same payments you buy a 60k car instead. With steady income you can slowly work your way into mid-range luxury vehicles that most people would dream of driving every day. Or, you can lease the same new Camry or ES, getting a new model year every other year, forever.

Can't fucking wait.

t. millennial

Because they try to drive above their pay grade and can't really afford it.

t. 200k/yr dailying a 2005 Buick

Modern cars, especially domestics are now disposable items with a life barely longer than a mobile phone. May as well lease as buy a product that needs replacing after 5 years.

Because many more automakers are making disposable pieces of shit I don't want to own. I'm not going to be the nigger complaining that a sentra that only has 61k miles on it needs a new trans. Same thing with all the hybrid models. Ain't worth shit after 120k miles as most will a need a battery. I ain't making payments to own that and more and more cars are like that now.

>Because they try to drive above their pay grade and can't really afford it.

You are confusing leasing with financing.

>that graph

>throwing cash after a depreciating asset

I would never pay cash for a new car when I can finance at

Please tell me that this is a real benchmark graph from one of the intel dick riding websites.

Lmao

Because people want to drive new looking cars and not keep a car for more than 3-5 years max.

But old cars are objectively better because after the birds are done shitting on them and you can just listen to your tapes instead of having horrible computer thing staring out of your dash you can just door the car next to you a whole bunch and not care what happens next.

Oh crap you're right, I forgot to check the scale of the OP's graph. What the heck does the Y axis scale indicate anyways? 32, 34 on their own mean nothing

Normies and non enthusiasts dont think this way. They want new cars but they cant afford new cars outright so they lease them until their term is up so they can lease a newer car with newer tech junk built in

But why do they even live? Don't they know what it feels like to drive a few hundred miles away from home and then it's just you, some trees, a road you think is still in this or that state, and your rapt contemplation of the night while you're pissing? And then you get back in and it doesn't start?

What does life even mean without this kind of a relationship with your car?

No because wifey says we're going to look poor in an old M5

>leasing a shitbox
how poor are you user

do you know anything about boomers retard

i’m hs dropout
no college
just the drive to make money
i make 140k last year
probably make 150k+ this year
don’t make shit excuses for being lazy user

No, that is legitimately the reason a useless co-worker of mine gave for wanting to lease a car.
A 2016 Vauxhall Corsa.
Which he assumed would 'get chicks' because it was 'new'.
> Bro I'm gonna get so many chicks when I've got muh corsa bro.
Yes, I told him what a fucking moron he was, and mock him about his shitty ambition regularly.

But financing 3 year old cars lets you do that. You can usually get the latest bodystyle for about 1/3 of the new price.
At least, when I got my current car, people kept asking if it was new and commenting on how nice it was. I mostly just bought it because I wanted to be able to drive it for a few years without anything breaking, and then get a half-decent resale price out of it to put to a newer car.

THIS IS WHAT CAPITALISM MAKES PEOPLE DO

STRIVE TO BE YOUR BEST

>buy good used car for keep it for 10 years
>save thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars over leasing cars for 10 years
Don't forget your lease price goes up every new lease

Why is nobody mentioning the ultimate plan of leasing your daily driver then having something fun that you own to drive on the weekends?

because they don't have money

Because even when I had two cars on the road both were fun.

because they eat too much soy and are afraid of working on their own car

That graph is misleading. It's a large percentage of a tiny tiny group of millennial drivers

It's not the electric car that will kill our kulture, it's you.

I didn't lease though, I bought an $1800 shitbox and fixed it myself.

gas is cheap! Economy is going strong! Full employment! Busriding!

I pick up two people on my way to college every day it helps with the gas neither of then have a drivers licence and theyre afraid to ride the bus. They crazy shit is one is 23 and doesnt drive

You can't swim upstream forever, user...

Boomer parents didn't teach them about it.

That is the way to do it user!

>afraid to ride the bus
Oh good lord! The scaredest generation

Aren't their parents "Gen X"?

>living in a state so small that you can drive hundreds of miles and be in a different state
lol

The mistakes are.

Nothing in Texas but Steers and Queers. And Millenials who can't drive, don't know anything beyond the last bus stop.

Well I'm a millennial who owns a car and daily drives it in texas, so you are wrong about that.

>What the heck does the Y axis scale indicate anyways?
Let's make a well informed guess and say it's percent of car "owners" in that age group.

west tx best tx

>less of "Absolutely Everyone Driving Absolutely Everywhere - from the creators of Suburbia and Obesity"
>somehow a bad thing
You have to be fucking brain damaged to unconditionally defend driving.

Texans are fucking full of themselves. Stop pretending that you're Wyoming, you Dallas suburban faggots.

I don't live in dallas

Yeah but how much more are you spending a month with buying it than leasing it? Don't you usually pay less per month on a lease?

I think you forgetting the money saved every month when leasing

That's a shitty argument. A millennial wouldn't drive that car for 10 years. They would sell it around the same time as the lease and therefore lose more money than leasing.

>caring about wifey when you have 10 cylinders singing for you all day long

>not saving up, letting your money work in the meantime, then buying outright and immediately saving again with no monthly payments

because that's what the commercials tell them to do

nice larp faggot

Oh yeah that would be the beat choice. Sorry I thought the argument was leasing vs. financing.