Why do the younger generation of posters online think its now uncool or 'normie' to like stereotypical poster cars like...

Why do the younger generation of posters online think its now uncool or 'normie' to like stereotypical poster cars like Skylines, Supras and other supercars like Ferrari's and Lamborghini's. There's this huge rhetoric now insulting fans of these cars. It seems you can only be accepted on some boards or social media groups if you like cheap cars without a real fanbase aside from people who can't afford better, like AW11's, MX5's and 90's Honda civics. They are good enough cars for the price, but people aren't dreaming of owning them. Don't even get me started on people who pretend to unironically like anything less than those like FWD corollas, commodores or non WRX subaru's.

My 2c. Younger generation sperging out because they can't afford the cool cars of the late 90's generation, and take it out by insulting the people who can or do own them by implying they don't have good taste by admiring them along with the masses, and imply that instead they should have some obscure, non-memorable car 'ironically' blazoned with intial D stickers, anime figures and the like.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

tl;dr take your two cents and go ask for change

Who gives a fuck? Just drive what you like and stop thinking about whether or not some fag on the internet thinks if its cool or not.

Why do you give a fuck about what someone in a shitbox thinks of your car?

If it lowers demand and prices drop then who cares, more for us.

Nigga aint nobody gonna read all that shit. Who gives a fuck man, drive what you want and move on with your life.

So much for starting an interesting discussion. You have a good point OP.

Never said what car I own, nor am I bothered about what people think of my own. Just merely interested in this recent phenomenon a few people on this board have noted a few times, creeping into online car communities such as Veeky Forums and drum up some discussion. Maybe you are too new to notice? I think its awesome when I hear a Lamborghini cruise down the city streets and boom off the walls of the buildings. I appreciate seeing an F360 or 488 parked on the side of the road. Same for when I see or hear the future-classic japanese supercars around, even if they are an order of magnitude cheaper than those with italian badges. Apparently it's exceedingly uncool or 'normie' to appreciate that anymore and get actively shouted down for discussing them on social media, Veeky Forums or similar communities.

Cheers mate. Good to see another user that see's this happening.

>Unironically using the word nigga
Why haven't you killed yourself yet?

it's the sour grapes phenomenon, you see this kind of behavior in everything but especially in hobbies that are materialistic in nature

Care to elaborate?

A similar culture exists within the classic car world as well. With the rising costs of classic cars many of the younger generation drifted towards rat rods as a way to build cars affordably. Irony can be found within the asking prices of some of these rat rod cars and trucks projects though. Whatever group it may be, debt is the price of modern living. Between student loans, credit cards, car financing, and home mortgages much of the American youth will not ever have the means to buy a Skyline, Supra, ect. Cheap cars give these people something to play with.

Really think you are onto something there. I think because it has happened slowly over 15 years I never really noticed the prices changes of some of these cars. The parallels to rat rods is very interesting.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fox_and_the_Grapes

My interest in cars has led me to be around both cultures, classic and import. The similarities and differences are interesting to observe. The old timers in the hobby constantly complain about the youth enjoying "crappy jap cars" that "aren't real cars", yet they ask more money for their 55 Chevrolet than most people make in two years. Many of the Import shows I've been to are only about how rude and obnoxious one can be with themselves and their cars. It seems to be a push back against society. With the average American household income staying roughly the same since the 90's and inflation driving up costs, the younger generation can't afford anything. I would imagine it is the same as being homeless walking past mansions when they see these high end cars posted.

I like both shitboxes and """"""supercars"""""" how does that make you feel?

I have no strong feelings either way.

Interesting insight.

I like all car's too. I'm just feel that admiring ultra mass produced cars and lauding them over that over truly special cars people would own, cost no object becomes tiresome online. I get that an AW11 or MX5 are fun cars, but I believe most of that value is in the cheap price of them. I'm sure you can 'love' them, but I think if the cost of an NA MX5 was 100k at present, there wouldn't be as much of a circle jerk around them, and comparing them to upper echelon JDM cars of the period.

I enjoy older cars becasue they give me a certain feeling that other cars don't, and for me, what matters the most in a car is the feeling it gives me. They just remind me of a time in the automotive world that we can never go back to. I don't feel anything when I drive a modern Mustang. Sure they're much faster than a Foxbody, are much more comfortable, have way more technology meant to "enhance" the driving experience, but that's not what I like in cars. I like a pure, visceral driving experience. I want to feel everything, I want to smell fuel when I roll down the windows, I want to hear all of the shakes and rattles of all the loose plastics (okay maybe I don't actually like that part, but I'm talking about feelings here). In many of today's cars everything just feels muted, flawless, like a video game. Cable shifter linkages, electronic steering, brake by wire, it all just feels fake. Modern cars are objectively better products, no one can deny that, but when I don't like the things that make them better then that just doesn't matter. I'm okay with being behind if it makes me feel better.

Down in aussieland I know quite a few red and green platers who drive supras and skylines and others like 300zx etc.

Only in the compromise models. Never see a P plater in the desired models of R34 GTR, RZ Supra or twin turbo 300zx. For reasons such as legalities or price.

>commodores
whats wrong with a cheap, powerful, rwd car that is reliable and comfortable?

While OP is right doesn’t mean we should complain about it
I do agree that the car community is lately a dick measuring contest and whoever has the most horsepower or best lap times is the best and if you have a car you generally like if it’s not fast enough it’s shit
I missed when car culture was about making your car yours and no one else’s and everyone’s individuality in how they did that was celebrated not shunned

fuck off you're hyper wrong. Only these past years people have been accepting of dumbasses ruining and butchering cars just to be special snowflakes.
Some faggots nowadays are praised for taking a good car and destroying it for attention.

It’s because no one wants to be labeled as a “normie,” you can thank /r9k/ and /pol/‘s popularity for this phenomena. Unironically preferring shitboxes over God Machines used to be an thing exclusive to this board and perhaps in the far corners of reddit. However thanks to an influx of users to the site during controversies like the “some of you guys are alright” Oregon shooting and the 2016 Election our memes started to seep out into popular culture. Think the realization hit me when I saw Car Throttle had posted a Miata Pepe with a WAT sticker on it

>Car Throttle had posted a Miata Pepe with a WAT sticker
how horrifying, when did it get so bad ?

21 here, most people just hate how the newer versions of these brands might go fast, but have a lot of unneeded crap in them nowadays.
That and when they see car shows, those are the cars that are more the norm. Even one of my friends is in love with Lanevos probably for that reason.

Killing oneself is a white boi thing.

true

skylines supras AW11s and civics are all shit

/pol/ caused a massive influx of reactionary newfags and there's no going back because some boards on Veeky Forums managed to almost keep a consistent board culture, now there's just waves of faggots who will never be forced to fit in and instead dilute all content into the most base-level, shitty forced memes

The only reason the S2000 gets hate on this board is because it's way more expensive than a Miata . It's a much better car all around. People always bring up the cost and how much more money they can save buying a shitbox Miata