Why are rx-8's so cheap?

why are rx-8's so cheap?

Why can't you do basic research on the internets

They overheat easily.

why can't you answer basic questions?

economy 101 - nobody wants to buy them and everybody who has them wants to sell them.
Extremally low mileage and other problems/myths

Cause its trash
End thread

>why are rx-8's so cheap?
they really aren't.

Starting at ~$2k they really are.

Because nobody wants to deal with them. If you buy a cheap example, but go in expecting to rebuild the engine, you can end up with a great sports car for a decent price

Blown doritos from people who can't perform a little bit extra maintenance on them...

just because you buy it for cheap doesn't mean you'll own it for cheap.

See

Nearly every rx-8 in my area is no more than 5k, with nearly half of those below 2k
they're cheap as fuck

Can most of the worry with these be solved by installing new apex seals and oil injection? It two-stroke oil perhaps a cheaper (in the short term) alternative to oil injection?

Because almost all of them need an engine rebuild.
It might be a good investment to buy up 3+ cheap RX-8s and learn how to pull and rebuild that engine. I would consider buying a clean RX-8 with a fresh rebuild from a guy who has a really well put together Craigslist add for $5000. Especially if you do some porting and polishing while you have the engine out to get a little more powah out of it. You could build your own intakes from aluminum tubing and pod filters.
This is something I would honestly do if I wasn't a college student. I would be flipping RX-8s.

There are complete rebuild engine kits of eBay for not too much (on the order of $500 iirc for all gaskets/seals, maybe less easily googled). If you have the time and a moderately equipped shop (enough to drop and engine), you can have yourself a like-new RX-8 for seemingly fuck all, considering what a good car it is in top form.

Engine break every 100 000 Km

probably a 04-05 model with huge issues

Yes

becuase its only worth owning if you're an enthusiast who enjoys rotaries, can keep up with the maintenance and have the r3 or some other meme trim with non trash suspension

>UHH DO 30 SECONDS OF GOOGLING FOR ME BECAUSE IM A RETARDED SELF-ENTITLED FAGGOT

>this retard still hasn't answered the question, no contribution whatsoever
thanks, retard

Because they are ticking time bombs

You're not getting an answer from me. Literally 30 seconds of Google will answer your fucking question you dumb retard.

>go to library
>hey do you guys have a book on
>WTF JUST RESEARCH IT ONLINE IDIOT OMFG FUCK OFFF

It's mainly because of the reputation of its renesis engine, fuel consumption, oil consumption (which is normal for a rotary), and the chance it's apex seals are almost completely destroyed due to the 99% chance it was owned by an idiot who didn't know how to maintain a rotary car.

>I posted it again!

It's because they break all the time
craigslist ads said so

Apex seals

Because of the meme about them being bad cars, and people being dumb enough to kill the engine and perpetuate that meme. If you can perform basic maintenance on a regular schedule they're an absolutely amazing car to own.

You're right, sorry for being such a faggot, I'll go google it user

They're like a high end used 10 year old Mercedes
Nothing more expensive than a cheap German car
Running costs and maintenance will quickly exceed initial purchase price

Simple
>i4 torque
>V6 power
>V8 fuel economy
>V12 reliability

I was one of those people who ALMOST bought one of these before doing any real research. I actually think they look great, and the low price was very intriguing.

Knowing what I know now... I still think it's a cool car. Just not sure if I'd like to spend the time and educate myself on rotary maintenance.

Holy fucking shit, we have a this thread or a similar thread every fucking week. Even with the same image. The mods need to update the sticky with a fucking post about these shits because I'm tired of this

If you never flush the coolant every 30k like you're supposed then yes, my temps while cruising are only 179f.

Because it is considered exceptional if the engines make it to 100k miles without excessive oil consumption due to failing apex seals.

>RX8's have a coolant interval of 30k km
Seriously?

Engine is half aluminum half iron, galvanic corrosion is a real problem and can eat the coolant seals. 30k miles or 2 years.

Also fl22 coolant is expensive, $24 a gallon at mazda or $16 for vavoline zerex.

Also it's 30k miles so 48k km.

APEX SEALS

>Fe/Al
Not so many as of late, but that's a super common combo. Having said, I just checked the interval of my 1.6 miata and it suggests the same, but I thought FL22 was good for like 100k miles or something?

It is but the renesis has silicone coolant seals and can get fucked by even slightly acidic coolant.

>hes such a retarded nromie he doesn't know why rotaries are cheap
kek
go talk about your comfy cars or how volvo lets you survive a crash your shitty driving causes or how people who change wheels are hooligans

you forgot
>weight of a RC engine
>compelxity of an electric motor

BECUASE fucking idiots have no idea to how to take care of rotarys so they just sell them very cheap to a guy with knoledge who rebuilds the engine very cheaply and sells the car for 3x the price desu~

might do it in summer desu, I want a winter beater.

Or they ran the recommended 5w30 oil and got stationary bearing failure.

whats recommended for rotaries or in particular the rx8? I just want a comfy ""drivers"" car

LS swap

Mazda recommended 5w30 to just be able to squeak by the fuel mileage requirements.

10w40 is fine, also mixing 1/2 oz per gallon of tcw3 2 stroke oil in the gas will help tremendously with longevity and regularly redlining it helps burn off carbon deposits.

i'm already dealing with a 1jzgte swap, another ""swap"" will make me want to kill myself.

My friend bought an 08 RX8 with a blown rotary. He took it to a shop and they rebuilt it for him. Car is in excellent shape and he paid maybe $4500 total including the rebuild. You can get a RX8 for dirt cheap if they have a blown engine.

Great platform, shit engine