drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B66vvDQ_rAMyS29wdTR6ajZsczQ

>DARK SOULS 2
pastebin.com/FiDXYjfs

>DARK SOULS
pastebin.com/Rtb5w9yS

>DEMON'S SOULS
pastebin.com/tehcGm75

>BLOODBORNE
docs.google.com/document/d/1sItpr6PHpoEiFbtFIBtPO4UNeNEpxuztHteANTJRHDU/edit#heading=h.od90ylbez0rz
Bloodborne discussion is welcome here, but you'll get more help in their general: >KING'S FIELD
pastebin.com/G8zw0sc3

>COMMUNITY
Discord (READ THE README BEFORE JOINING): discord.gg/C3AX2Hk
Player list: pastebin.com/9hG50KHX
Steam group: steamcommunity.com/groups/DarkSoulsGeneral

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4by6iv/spoilers_complete_miyazaki_interview_with_famitsu/
twitter.com/epicnamebro/status/451537346320941056
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Redpill me on DS2 Rapiers
Are they worth it for PvE?

They're probably the best PvE weapon for DPS, especially poison infused and/or with the leo ring. Lances are slightly better if you're going for one hit kills or stagger, but rapiers win out on pure DPS.

They're good in pvp too, as long as you 2H them for the poise damage.

Reminder that this is a RED general

ORANGE and PURPLE phantoms are welcome as brothers in arms

INDIGO phantoms should be encouraged to become a proper invader outside of a gank zone

WHITE and GOLD phantoms should be politely asked to leave the premises

BLUE phantoms should be laughed at like the sad wastes of space that they are

Yes, used for speedruns and all that. The animation for consecutive attacks is basically just a twitch, you just have to line up your attack properly because the tracking sucks.
Makes me sad that they're just kind of ok in 3.

reminder that DS2 is Evergrace for Adults

is Evergrace worth a playthrough?

>rapier stance r1s have small i-frames
TIME FOR SSSMOKIN

It's a mediocre game that happens to have all the basics that make dark souls a great game, just done very awkward/clunky and early on. The tone is probably what makes it the most different, it's very bright and surreal, closer to something like Final Fantasy where weird magical impractical armor is the norm, instead of the more dark fantasy style of souls.

But all the souls basics are there. You've got your armor and weapon customization, various stat tradeoffs, infusions, monsters, big cinematic boss fights, large explorable levels, platforming sections, hub world, different melee combos, various monsters, etc. It's just all at a much slower pace.

One thing that makes it different is that your slow walk is your default speed and your run is your sprint (uses stamina).

Since you can easily emulate it on PCSX2, I'd say it's worth checking out, if only so you can see how it influenced souls. The sequel is also a little better but it's party-based combat, not solo, so it feels more final fantasy-ish.

I've heard a bit of its soundtrack.
I think the phrase "fever dream" describes it appropriately.

lightning ice rapier is the best dps weapon

>invading at 4.5M SM
>a blue sentinel is actually summoned
>this guy really has Way of Blue on
>and someone else equipped Blue Sentinel Ring
>in the SL200s
>in Dead Souls 2
The cop message showed up literally while the final blow as being struck. First time I've ever felt bad cucking a blue.

how beat fume knight

attack him until he dies

Major spoilers coming up. Do I even have to say this?
So I just beat ringed city DLC and I am totally lore confused right now.

What exactly is the ringed city supposed to be? Does me doing the DLC influence my ending at all? I have not gone through kiln yet.

I am mostly confused about WHAT the ringed city is. What is it for? Who is filianore and what is her purpose. How did Gael get into the ringed city? When you see him, he asks you to hand over your dark soul.

I thought as unkindled you don't have a dark soul?

I am really confused now. Can someone shed some light on this shit? I mostly want to know, who filianore is and her purpose. Also, does the dark soul exist at all?

Side question: Why the fuck are the slave knight leggings just leggins with no fucking pants under them? Its like a diaper and some armored leggings. WHY FROM!? WHY!?

In form 1, roll to the right.
In form 2, roll to the left.

>>I thought as unkindled you don't have a dark soul?
All humans have part of the dark soul.

So then what exactly is a unkindled and undead? I have never really understood the difference. Can unkindled go hollow?

Someone was telling me that unkindled are basically just undead that tried to light the fire and failed or they lit it and got burned away instead of surviving.

Purple checking in.

The Ringed City is a prison concocted by the "gods" who feared the Dark, in order to seal away the Pygmies and their influence on the world. Filianore is Gwyn's secret unheard-of-until-now fourth child (it's literally as stupid as it sounds) who he gave to the Pygmies as a token of goodwill. She sleeps and guards the egg since it's what maintains the seal over the Ringed City and maintains its illusion of timelessness. When you break it, that's what shatters the illusion and forces the city into the present time, which is the end of all ages.

Humans, as descendants of the Pygmies, each have a fragment of the original Dark Soul, which is exactly what Humanity is in DaS1. The "gods" were afraid of this dark so they cast a seal of fire on all humans, which is what the Darksign is. When the First Flame fades, this seal begins to weaken, which is what causes the undead curse to spread (that, and the concept of disparity weakening alongside the First Flame, so that the border between Life and Death is blurred).

Purportedly, the Pygmy Lords each have a fragment of the "true" Dark Soul, which is different from the Humanity that humans possess (and is more powerful), and which is purportedly why they were the rulers of the Ringed City. Gael needed to gather up the Dark Soul in order to produce blood, which would then be used as paint.

The Slave K***ht Leggings were the first step towards slutwear that the DLCs took. The Desert Slut set and Antiquated Plain Slut set were the logical conclusions. Though speaking realistically, it's something that's probably not meant to be easily noticed since most chest armors have a long skirt that covers up the crotch area anyways.

the answer to all of this is "Whatever you want to believe". The lore isn't really explained, it's self-contradictory.

The truth is that Miyazaki didn't want to make the characters hollow in DS3 because people in DS1 and DS2 were covering their characters faces to hide the ugly hollowing and he wanted players to enjoy looking at their character's face.

Who in their right mind would trust a purple?

You can always trust a purple to fuck over the first person he thinks can be fucked over properly.

But most of them end up joining the red team for the most part, so they're welcome.

You're right about Unkindled. They're basically Undead that tried to Link the Fire, but due to lack of force of will they failed and burnt to ashes (thus, Ashen One, Unkindled Ash, etc.). Miyazaki himself said as such in an interview with a Taiwanese gaming magazine. That's what makes Unkindled worse than regular Undead, they weren't even strong enough to Link the Fire, and calling them from their graves at the start of DaS3 is essentially a last resort since presumably all the Undead who could have Linked the Fire have all failed.

Unkindled can go hollow, as evidenced by it happening to Horace, Anri, Orbeck and Sirris (if you decline her knighthood). It's just not a well thought-out mechanic since you don't raisin in DaS3 unless you smoke some Dark Sigils.

>he wanted players to enjoy looking at their character's face
If that were true then he would have put more effort into making the sliders system work.

as a purple, when I only need to kill 1 phantom, I'll go after blues or reds but leave the host alone because it's an easier way to get the shackle.

Do you honestly care about the shackle?

I see... I never understood why the gods were so afraid of the pygmies anyway. I personally don't see a problem with letting the fire burn forever if possible. I mean, would you rather live in a world full of decaying hollows or whatever? I wouldn't.

So as it stands right now. Where is the "true dark soul" lore wise? Was gael successful in eating all the true dark signs?

The undead curse is the dark sign trying to do it's job and failing because the curse itself is powered by fire.

When it's fully functional, humans are born, they live, and then they die. The dark soul is burned away on death, and they don't just come back.

When it stops functioning as well, it tries to burn the humanity away but can't do it right, and so the human lives, but becomes hollow.

When it stops functioning entirely, the age of dark has begun, and humans are totally immortal because the curse has no power.

The "gods" are afraid of the Dark, and the Dark Soul possessed by the Pygmies utilized the power of the Dark (if you read the description of the Ringed K***ht armor, it says that their arms were forged in the Abyss).

The First Flame was supposed to naturally fade and give way to an Age of Dark. But Gwyn and the rest of the "gods," who feared the Dark, unnaturally extended its lifetime by sacrificing himself to it and then convincing/brainwashing the humans (who would then become the rulers in an Age of Dark due to having fragments of the Dark Soul and being descended from the Pygmies) to continue to do so. And continuing to unnaturally prolong the Age of Fire has a bunch of fucked up side effects, on top of having a weaker effect each time.

To be sure, ushing in an Age of Dark is probably not a good thing, given the sorts of shit that happened in Oolacile and the things that Sulyvahn and Aldrich were able to concoct from the Deep. But it's also presumably the natural state of the world, that these things wouldn't happen in a "true" Age of Dark (the Abyss hasn't been tried "for real"), and it could also be argued that there are also fucked up things in an Age of Fire (e.g., a shitload of the monsters and enemies you fight in the first two games). At the end of the day, it's all unreliable conjecture because Miyazaki's a hack.

>Gael needed to gather up the Dark Soul in order to produce blood, which would then be used as paint.
Paint which was merely needed for the little girl in the Painted World of Ariendel to create a new world and burn away the rotted old world the player has played through.

I rather enjoy the lore of the DS3 DLC, it's a nice self contained side story.

>If that were true then he would have put more effort into making the sliders system work.
Miyazaki doesn't write code, never has, and I doubt bandai would have approved putting more budget toward those.

>M: This was continuously brought up since the first Dark Souls. Players spent their times to customize the character, but were sad that their character stayed in hollow form for the most of the time. That's why DS3 doesn't have hollow form after death. And the reason our main character is called "unkindled/ashen one" is because he/she is a special being appeared during the end of the age of the fire. However, there is a way to become hollowed, and we are giving a special meaning to it. There might be a player who says "At last, Hollowed", and that would be fulfilling my long-cherished wish

reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4by6iv/spoilers_complete_miyazaki_interview_with_famitsu/

Not him, but what sort of a question is that? Nothing gets me harder than the sound of a sheckle being added to my inventory, even when I already have an absurd amount.

the only time I'm a purple is when I'm on a new character and farming schackles for warmth

After a certain point, there's no more need for covenant items, so letting the reward dictate your behavior in an invasion is no longer required.

If you're going for the easiest kill because you want the Shackle, then you may be limiting the amount of fun you could have in the invasion. But if you're murdering anything that crosses your path because you want to be an asshole and/or you're staying true to character, then there's nothing wrong with that.

>Not treating covenant items as autistic trophies

The entire purpose of invading is to generate salt for the opposing party. It's just that as a grapist, literally every other player in the session qualifies as "opposing party."

>bought a controller because i wanted to try how it feels to play it on since people praise it at being the best thing since sliced bread
>never owned a home console since a ps1
Did i fuck up?

>get summoned as a blue first time in an hour
>Way of Blue Adherent has died as I spawn in
>get summoned again after an hour or so of ear farming
>DUTY FULFILLED as I spawn in
>cucked out of the ear

controller is going to fuck you up because you're so used to shitty KB+M controls now.

XB1 controller is an alright choice though. Probably the best/easiest for a first timer, the Elite controller is better but much more expensive.

I have played Souls games on the pc for years using keyboard and mouse and transitioned into using a controller for Souls games just fine.

People praise the 360 controller, not the Xbone.
Also DS4 is superior in every way possible. You fucked up on both ends.

D-Pad on 360 controller sucked though. The Xbox controller everyone praises is the elite controller with the back paddles and shit.

360 controller feels like a fischer price toy to me. It's made of thick, cheap, flimsy plastic and the buttons are fat and slow. The only good thing about it is the analog sticks have less deadzone and faster response than the PS3 controller's.

>implying Sunbros aren't the biggest Chads in Souls

SL70 and +8
or
SL80 and +10

SL80 +10.

80 is where lothric castle and the DLC start, so there's some activity there, and there's no real reason to not go from +7 to +10 since they're in the same matchmaking pool anyway.

Always jump from +2 to +4 to +6, then straight to +10.

So I'm almost done with the Darkmoon grind. I need to do Sunbros still for the cheevo but that should be a breeze compared to the fuckery of the darkmoons and I think Rosaria's niggers for Rosaria's soul.

What other covenants I need to max out for cheevos? Madmen for the Warmth but what else? Do you have to max the Watchdoggos as well?

>Do you have to max the Watchdoggos as well
Pretty sure wolf ring is the rank 2 reward, and you need it for all ring achievements because DLC rings don't count.

>People praise the 360 controller, not the Xbone
Yeah, but at the store the 360 was 50 and the xbone was 55, 360 didn't say it supported my OS so i preferred to go with the safer choice.
Also no official support for sony controllers, plus i would have had to buy a dongle or an extra cable

Not gonna buy an elite without a console, i barely managed to justify buying this just to play some games better, since i play a lot of shooters, which require kb+m and puzzles, which shouldn't require precise controls at all so either one is whatever.

Okay, thanks. Fuck I've probably missed so many rings on this playthrough already but ah well you have to go on NG++ to get all the rings anyway so that's not too bad.

Also as a general question for the thread, how badly did Namebro get wrecked against Friede last night?
>captcha Lautrec Alamedas

yeah ok cheers

is the greataxe 1h moveset any good or am I good to just get min str for two-handing

You need to hit rank 1 with Aldrich and Rosaria's for the sorcery and ring, and max out Watchdogs for the ring.

This is a long fucking shot but i have some salt and santuary questions. I joined the order of the edge and am going around killing all my santuaries for devotion. What should i be putting devotion into? I have so far put one into my health vials, crystal, and defilement flasks.

>Did i fuck up?
yes and no
controller may seem better for movement but is 100x worse for camera adjustment

This shit surely can't be real, can it?

>360 didn't say it supported my OS
This is a trick by microsoft. 360 works on any PC, it's just a USB peripheral. The drivers are installed by default on windows 8 and 8.1, but for windows 10 they just didn't install them by "Default" so when you plug it in, the computer takes an extra 2-3 seconds to download the drivers the first time before it works. That extra 2-3 seconds is why they don't list the 360 controller as "recommended" for windows 10. It's basically just a ploy to get you to buy the XB1 controller instead.

Basically, whether or not a controller works depends entirely if there is a USB driver for it. PS3/PS4 controllers do not have officials drivers, so people can write programs that make them copy the xbox 360 drivers instead.

>invade and see a watch doggo fighting host
>take a few play jabs at the host
>switch to other invader and pile on him when his health is low

wildcard motherfucker

>mfw powerstancing warped sword and red rust scimmy

How stable is the DeS emulator? I really want to play it, but the PS3 seems to be rumored to not being able to read the disc.

Warped Sword + Katana (ideally manslayer) is my favorite power stance combo. Basically anything that has a thrust in the R hand and warped sword in the left for heavy attacks and spin2win.

It's not stable and seems to only work with integrated graphics on intel processors.

Eh, guess I'll just get it over PS-store and hope it works. Is there even any online activity or is it just dead and no point?

>trick by microsoft
Why am i not surprised

>100x worse for camera adjustment
Imagined as such.
I mean, i guess by this point i remember the placement of basically every enemy in the game, so i'll have to get over camera bosses like capra and nameless king phase 1

Google it, it's legit.

i also find it's easier to manually aim heavy attacks through wasd + mouse, than just a stick, since the latter feels unprecise

>easier to manually aim heavy attacks through wasd + mouse
Really? i've heard that it was easier to manually aim with a controller.
Especially since i literally never played unlocked and i only had m+kb until now
Guess i have time to try it out when i finish working

Im trying to get more invasion items as a sorcerer.I can never kill anyone though. I beat the entire god damn game with magic and now everyone with half a brain can roll through my shit. How do I git gud? CSS, +10 Court Sorc Staff, Magic clutch, both sorc boosters and that stupid hat and I still don't 1shot people.

It's been dead for years. The effect that online play has on World Tendency means that most people play offline anyway. The multiplayer was dogshit in DeS for the most part, so you're not missing much other than other player's messages.

Did the meta change with this SL351 thing they added?

Free aiming is the key to Spells in PvP.
Also invading in places with long as fuck ladders, use Binoculars to aim so you can knock them down to their death.

Don't bother trying to 1-shot with Magic in PvP, they basically butchered Magic in every single way they could think of.

What sort of "world tendency" effect did online play have, since people went offline?

Or maybe he wants to roleplay a madman? If he wanted to kill everyone he'd invade as a red. Autistic roleplay is pretty much the only reason to use most covenants any more. From has taken all other meaning away. Why would the players take away what's left?

No, but ridiculously high level pvp is more of a thing

if you can even get to sl351 without getting bored

I would randomly revert back to neutral. And If you had already defeated every boss in a world, there would be no way to do the WT events anymore until NG+.

fucking dark souls 2
"lmao just throw enemies at you"
gank squads shit
artifical difficulty
no way miyazaki could have done something like that

Only in Japan.

In DeS, worlds have levels from "white" to "black" based on events. Black makes demons stronger and spawns phantoms, white makes them weaker and makes NPCs accessible.

The tendency would trend toward whatever other players logged in had, so if you were playing on a server where everyone was dying a lot as a human, causing it to go black, then you would always be slightly lower than what your in-game tendency "should" be based on your actions.

Since those events really only happen when you maxed things out, it means that players played offline to get max black or max white, because otherwise they would be trended toward the middle. The more people did this, the fewer people played online, which just made the problem even worse.

So even if the game was active, most people are playing offline to unlock NPCs, weapons, and drops that can only be obtained when online isn't fucking with your world tendency.

When working as intended, world tendency would add replay value by making you decide whether or not to go for certain weapons based on what your peers were doing. If everyone was going for the dragon bone smasher, then it would make it easier for other players to get it, thus making it more common and other items more rare. It didn't work because while that's a neat idea, it's dumb as fuck in actuality by punishing players for trying to complete the game.

Covenant of Champions and Bonfire Ascetics were kind of a solution to that problem, still allowing players to access special weapons, get more souls, make enemies harder, etc. by controlling the difficulty of their own game, but it only worked in one direction.

The start of DaS3 is insanely punishing, and the second you start upgrading your weapon the game gets easier and easier.

Sounds interesting, but I can see the problem in it not being thought completely through.

it's ironic that the souls game with the most creative /interesting online features was also the one with the most dead online because of them

>run carelessly through an area
>skipping on stones and chasing butterflies
>all the while singing out of tune from the top of your lungs
>suddenly turn around
>you're being chased by a bunch of enemies
VS
>walk through a doorway
>suddenly you're being chased by a bunch of enemies
100% the same thing. Fucking Memeyahacki

twitter.com/epicnamebro/status/451537346320941056

keep defending this shit, bitchboy

name one area in DS2 where a bunch of enemies chased you before you had a chance to see them ahead of time. Every enemy encounter in DS2 is either telegraphed or 1v1.

>butthurt n00b is actually complainig about Road of Crabs
i remember when i sucked dick at DaS3.

>Those replies
Humanity was a mistake.

Who said anything about seeing ahead of time? The goalposts are to stay where they are. Unless if you're implying you can't see the log hollows before they aggro, in which case get your eyes checked

are you like, 15? you sound like my little brother who used to play cod all day

are you like, a faggot? you sound like some faggot who plays a dead game like DaS2 all day

>Covenant of Champions and Bonfire Ascetics were kind of a solution to that problem, still allowing players to make enemies harder, etc. by controlling the difficulty of their own game

Covenant of Champions was essentially a selectable difficulty option and I don't really like that idea for Souls. Souls games should be challenging enough without having to select a "hard difficulty" that essentially mainly just ups the enemy hp and damage that they do.

The argument against DS2 is that to make it "hard" they throw a bunch of enemies at you with no warning.

DS2 gives players plenty of warning and makes avoiding multiple enemy encounters really easy.

I'd agree that DS2 is non-intuitive and that a lot of players missed cues and details that would have made certain areas easier (like shrine of amana's fireflies) but complaining that DS2's enemy encounters are fundamentally worse than DS1 or DS3 for those reasons is silly.

your manner of speech gives you away
please get off Veeky Forums immediately

Covenant of Champions was a pve covenant, not selectable difficulty. You didn't use it to give yourself a challenge, you used it to get awestones and the vanquisher's seal.

Bonfire ascetics were to give players access to rewards earlier on if they were willing to suffer a higher difficulty, and in that sense it's great. The easiest way to play DS2 is to actually use bonfire ascetics every now and then, because the higher soul rewards and respawning chests make you more powerful than the difficulty spike they cause.

>can't contain his butthurt over some weak as shit banter
how's your first hour on the 4chinz?

>complaining that DS2's enemy encounters are fundamentally worse than DS1 or DS3 for those reasons is silly.

Agree. And let's not forget that the series has always relied on group encounters to make otherwise kinda non-threatening enemies into a bit more forminable threats starting from Demon's Souls.

The problem isn't group encounters or the number of enemies, it's if the encounters put a ton of the same enemy in the encounter without having any kind of group dynamic in the encounter.

Like in Lothric Castle they did a pretty creative setup with the Lothric Knights and the priests that buff / heal them.

What's worse, is the Covenant in no way told you what you went in for.
I expected to still be able to play online, but nope. It fucking removes that option.

>Guys, how do we make this game "challenging" for the souls-community?
>How about add a fuckton of enemies with high health in one area?
>You're getting a raise my man

I fucking hated the ideology of DaS2, loved the new mechanics like:
- Powerstancing
- Poise system, even though it needed its values increased
- Spice to lower requirements of Spells/Miracles, making buffs easier accessible
- Bonfire Ascetics, even though they needed a fuckton of work (more reward than challenge)

However, they also added retarded shit like Lifegems for some reason, the hatred from DeS, unlimited Healing if you could farm/buy it.

I loved the Bonfire Ascetics, but they seriously didn't fuck you up as much as I expected and rewarded you way too much.

>banter

The elite controller is pure shit, what the fuck are you smoking.

I had the elite and an old 360, the old 360 is better even with the awful dpad.

The dualsock 4 is still better than both though.

lol
your image makes no sense in this context, retard
but that's the go to image for newfags trying to fit in, so I understand.

the alternative is
>Guys, how do we make this game "challenging" for the souls-community?
>How about add a fuckton of enemies that make player roll hard? And give them hyperarmor so the player won't think of doing anything else but roll. And while we are at it, make bosses that make the player roll even harder!
>You're getting a raise my man