FWD VS RWD FIRST CAR

Is fwd really that bad? Thanks to Veeky Forums I know I want a manual first car but now you fuckers have siphoned me away from so many good options. It's not enough that barely any cars in America are manual, now I have to go the extra mile and filter out f/4wds.

Thanks to this I can't come up with anything better than an E30 because apparently rwd is essential. And as expected they're all shit in my area.

If I've only experienced rwd and 4wd (mom/dad's cars) will I truly hate a fwd? It's not like the two cars I've experienced have been ultimate driving experiences either, with the rwd being a 4500lbs S Merc and the other a motherfucking landcruiser (5700lbs).

Reason for this post is I came across this ricebox and the price condition ratio is too appealing to pass up despite fwd.
orlando.craigslist.org/cto/d/honda-civic-91/6449118297.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yswpG4GuDXI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just get a 90s Civic with Vtec.

Don't worry You can still have loads of fun in a good fwd car

FWD is objectively the most sensible drivetrain layout. That Civic with the mods that's been done to it will absolutely BTFO any E30 you will find for that price and probably a couple thousand more and definitely be more fun to drive.

Don't buy someone else's project. FWD is fine, you just have to know what to look for. Unmolested Integras, Preludes, and RSXs are all good choices. Heck, you could even do well with a Mazda 3.

Fuck you faggot nigger there's literally a '91 civic in the OP and you fuckers still suggest this shit day in and day out stop

My first 2 cars were FWD and they were really fun. Both FWD and RWD are fun to drive and take some time to master. With FWD you can power the fuck out of turns and you have tons of grip. RWD is more fun for me though because you can kick the back out with some gas.

If you are strapped for cash, you can probably get a better and more enjoyable FWD car than a RWD for the same price.

someones mad

>Is fwd really that bad?
It's like asking is having a gay son really that bad?

You'll definitely have more options if you consider fwd. I'd go fwd just so you can decide if you like it or not, and learn to wrench on it if you want. You can still have some fun, it just won't be as much as rwd. Then later when you have more money saved get something that isn't about to fall apart like an abused E30

>Don't buy someone else's project

also this

It's a sedan lad. Easier to bone your girlfriend in a hatch, and you can fit a bike in it.

I fell for the rwd meme and got one for my first car. Honestly, you won't notice any difference in everyday driving. Maybe less wheelspin when taking off from the lights in the wet. Unless you really want to drift or some shit, I wouldn't make it a requirement.

Don't let fwd rule out civics/preludes etc. So long as it's manual, you'll still be able to have fun.

I have about $6k which is more than enough to fund initial cost + initial repairs (granted nothing super severe). The problem is having enough patience for a good and fairly priced one to come along
Gotcha. Thanks. I want to learn how to drift eventually but it's like at the bottom of my priority list right now and I have no place to do it

For a first car, FWD is perfectly fine. You won't be skilled enough to utilize the advanced techniques that RWD enables. However, I'd recommend going to a dealership and test-driving something with RWD so you can feel the difference. I love the feeling of power coming from behind (no homo), pushing me up and forward rather than being dragged downward from behind the power. AWD feels like a go-cart, FWD doesn't feel right, and RWD feels fun, like riding a bike as a kid. For a first car though, get something practical, which almost certainly means FWD.

Fwd is best starter car, easier to """"master"""" and maintain (especially standard stick) and you can still do donuts (reverse and hold the wheel all the way in one direction) standard transaxle makes it that much easier to maintain, plus you can still shred up canyon roads with them (cause Muh Performance is apparently important) plus winter is easier with funwheel drive than it would be with rwd or a """complex""" all-wheel-slide (awd)

Pam is so cute, but i think karen was hotter. Her voice was offputting though

Also if you're in florida you aren't getting much of a real winter in terms of snow and slippery conditions for sideways rwd fun anyway.
don't take this in a demeaning way, but if this is your first car your driving skills might not be at the level that you'd need to take an rwd car up to it's limit on pavement

>Go to McDongos
>grab some plastic serving trays
>drive rear wheels on trays
>instant driftlord
>not a retard trying to do reverse donuts

Wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=yswpG4GuDXI

Same principle. Thanks for proving me right.

fuck man that hairline

Since nobody here seems to give a clear comparison of fwd and rwd. My first car was a rwd and I now own both a fwd and a rwd.
Others already said that during calm driving there won't be a real difference.
-Wheelspin at take off: rwd is much better than fwd, but 4wd always wins. My 75hp fwd shitbox gets plenty of spin till 50km/h when going wot. My 300hp rwd shitbrick is much easier to control (not at wot of course).
Over-/understeer: cars have a natural tendency towards either over- or understeer (or neutral) before taking the drivetrain in account. This determines handling while not giving much gas or while braking.
For example my fwd car has a strong tendency towards oversteer, my rwd car a bit less. You can also find both fwd and rwd cars with a tendency to understeer.
In a fwd car, giving gas always gives understeer. In a rwd car, giving gas gives under- or oversteer depending on circumstances. A fwd is reliable in its response, with an rwd you have to pay more attention.
My fwd car's natural oversteer can easily be compensated by giving gas. In my rwd I gotta be more attentive to weight shifting.
This does make rwd sound more difficult than it is. You'll learn to feel weight shifting etc. quick enough, fwd is only better for normies in this aspect. Somewhat good rwd can attain higher speeds in certain corners (ie it widens and you can accelerate), but a good fwd car can come close in regular. A rwd that's bad at cornering (mainly high ride height) is easily left behind by an average hatchback however.
Understeer induced by giving gas is easily recovered by letting go of the gas, if it was induced some other way (natural tendency mainly), you're pretty much fucked. Oversteer in the hands of a good driver is preferable to understeer, as it can be controlled. Oversteer is easily recovered by clutching in (often enough already for a small skid) and counter steering for if that didn't recover it already. This is an advantage of a manual rwd over any type of auto.

Cont.
(Want to add that an fwd can also recover oversteer by giving a good amount of gas, instead of clutching in)
Low grip situations (rain, snow, ice, etc): an rwd can powerslide easier than an fwd will spin its front wheels. However, the front wheels of an rwd will keep their grip, meaning your car can still be controlled somewhat. And fwd spinning its front wheels will also lose steering, meaning you have to recover grip before you can steer again. Basically an rwd will enter oversteer, an fwd understeer.
Both understeer in an fwd and oversteer in an rwd can be recovered by clutching in, this should be you first reaction as it's the easiest way to recover traction. (Unless you want to turn a skid into a drift)
Clutch in even when the driven wheels have grip, as letting go of the gas and thus engine braking affects weight shifting.
Fwd cars hydroplane much easier. On top of that, an hydroplaning rwd can be made to corner anyway by inducing a powerslide, you might spin out, but at least you'll stay on the road.
Seeing how you're already accustomed to rwd cars with less than ideal handling for driving fast, you won't have a problem with a sporty rwd.
Shit not related to handling: fwd wins on a lot of areas of practicality. More cabin space, less drivetrain loss leads to both better economy and smaller difference in bhp and actual hp.
In the end people here overmeme fwd being shit. There's a difference yes, but an lightweight fwd with a natural tendency to oversteer will feel sportier and easier to go through a corner fast than an (heavy) rwd with a natural tendency to understeer and loaded with electrical nannies.

OP if you live in a country with no probationary driver power restrictions just go all out and get a RWD V8. If you live in a cucked country like Australia buy a FWD shitbox as your first car to learn on and get around until you can get an RWD beauty you can enjoy. You can still have plenty fun taking turns at 60mph.

tl;dr

>australia
The restrictions are different in every state here, In Victoria they restrict everything. If you live in Western Australia you can drive anything you want

In terms of fun
sporty rwd>hot hatch>luxury rwd>luxury fwd>SUV and crossovers
Several exceptions here and there

Fwd is for women, pussies, and numale who don't care about cars and view them as appliances.

My first car was a shitbox 5.0, 5 speed foxbody when I was 16. Got a civic when I was 18 and hated every minute of it, but it was far more practical.