Civic Hatch vs BRZ

Alight Veeky Forums,
So I currently drive a leased pic related. I recently got a job that'll net me about $50k a year, and then about $80k in six years. I'm still living at home, not having to pay rent. My lease ends this may, and I'm kinda thinking about getting something either more fun or practical. I've been looking at the new Civic Hatchbacks, and test drove a Sport Touring. It was actually very nice and comfortable for a Civic. The major Honda dealer in my area said they'd give me a $2k lease trade in credit if I decided to get a newer Honda, so that offer is pretty tempting. But, I'm also kinda keen on a new BRZ. With the Civic hatch back I get the practicality I want, with a small touch of sporty fun given that its turbo charged. And on the other hand with the BRZ I get the the fun sporty driving of a BRZ, but less practicality since its still a coupe, (I know about its lack of power) and about 20 more bhp than the Civic Hatch Sport Touring (180 bhp).

So Veeky Forums, which would you recommend? Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring, or new Subaru BRZ?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DVPC1tTWmpY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Get an FB6 Si.

It sounds like you need to figure out what kind of car you want. The two aren't similar at all.

Is there a price difference you're worried about?

Other than that, I'd ask whether the practicality of a hatch is important or not. If not, perhaps you would consider something even more impractical than a BRZ? A lot of times in life you need to choose a car based on practicality, so if that's not a concern then it's a good opportunity to squeeze in some impracticality while you can.

The Civic hatch seems like the better choice for your lifestyle. Buy the Si if you’re concerned about power

the civic is going to make less road noise, has a better sound system that doesn't resonate and has a better interior.

The BRZ interior literally rattles, its this cheap shitty plastic

>leasing
kys.

A civic Si will be far superior to the BRZ purely because the power isn't shit. Like said the civic interior is way better than the gt86 and the speakers don't suck shit.

>Buy the Si if you’re concerned about power

And its still got the cucked 1.5 that disappointed everyone.

But, if I were buying honda, a Civic Si is absolutely what I would buy.

You might as well if you only other option is the regular civic.

Op here
Practicality is nice I'll admit. I feel like if I went from a civic coupe to the BRZ it would be more of a side step in practicality. Can't really say so much for the driving experience since I've never driven a BRZ, so I'll have to test drive one. And I've been living with the level of practicality my civic has for three years now. I'm the prime demographic that the BRZ marketing team is aiming at with their car. I guess the way I see now is I'm a young kid with a stable job, no student loans, or major debts. If I keep my civic coupe I'll have ~$13k left on it, or I can take the plunge and lease a new BRZ and see where I'm at in 3 years.

>And its still got the cucked 1.5 that disappointed everyone.
Except it didn't it was a smaller engine that made the same power as the old NA because of the turbo and it got way better mpg

You're definitely right about the interior. When I test drove the civic hatch, I found it hard to believe I was sitting in a Honda and not an Acura.

Definitely test drive a BRZ first. As the others have mentioned, there's a lot to be disappointed in when it comes to creature comforts. Limited trim makes a bit of a difference vs. base models in terms of how cheap and rattly it is.

If I didn't need the extra space I might have gone for a Miata. If I had more weekend time for wrenching, I might have picked up that RX-7 I came across or something else that might have be less like an appliance in terms of maintenance.

Maybe I'm autistic but one of my biggest concerns with a car is its interior quality. So far my civics interior is holding up great, aside from the fact that its kind of boring. How is Subaru at their cars interiors in terms of quality? Not just the BRZ but all Subarus?

Dude, stop.

There is no way on earth the new Si should have made the "same" power as before.

Stop that shit, it unacceptable and people were rightly disappointing by it.

Yes, its a step forward, but a small one. Honda wanted to separate the wheat from the chaff with the Si and the Type R and they certainly did so.

They could have done like VW, and put the same engine in both cars (GTI and Golf R) but they didnt, and it was a major disappointment. The Golf R engine is an upgraded version but at their core they are the same and the GTI can be made to make the same power with a simple ECU tune.

>There is no way on earth the new Si should have made the "same" power as before.
Why not? Because you don't think it should?

>its unacceptable
to you

due to emissions restrictions they probably couldn't use the K24 anymore

The BRZ is the only modern Subaru I've driven, so I can't comment on how the other modern ones hold up. Mine's a 2013 at almost 50k and it developed its first squeak at the base of the passenger A-pillar sometime in the past year. I'll have a look when warm weather comes around. AFAIK Subaru has continued its reputation of having practical rather than nice interiors.

It's a pretty simplistic interior but the limited trim makes it about right for an inexpensive car where most of the money is going to the car itself rather than the interior. It gets the job done with just enough style to not come off as an awful econobox, and, most importantly, it's laid out pretty well from a driving perspective.

The factory nav unit is hell, but I hate all those stupid computer things anyway. They might have improved on this since 2013. And as mentioned the sound can be truly horrible or it can be entirely usable depending on what you're looking for -- it's a loud, rough car anyway, which is part of why it's important to drive one to find out how it suits you.

As far as durability, mine's doing fine. I don't take super good care of it, but I'm not really that rough on it either beyond using it year round rain, sun, or snow.

>Why not? Because you don't think it should?

This isnt an argument, everyone was disjointedness. Its not just me that thought this. This is a fact.

They could have put a de tuned Type R 2.0 engine in but they didnt. and the car would have been a lot better off with say 250 HP.

>disjointedness

Disappointed.

>This isnt an argument, everyone was disjointedness.
Its absolutely an argument, your disappointment is huddled in blind requirement that the new one should be more powerful than the last as if its some god given progression or some shit.

>new engine
they aren't going to take away from their civic type R sales. They did this on purpose so you buy the civic type R if you want more power

So the interior doesn't feel cheap or flimsy or anything?

its pretty cheap. Go test drive one and get above 40-50mph for a bit, you'll notice the road noise and everything rattles

Depends on your definition of cheap and flimsy. When I think of the BRZ, I think about a modern version of something like a 240SX. By comparison, the BRZ has upgraded in various ways to keep up with more modern cars, and interior is one of those ways. But at the end of the day it's still an entry-level sporty car that a guy in or just out of college might drive because he can afford more than a cuckmobile, or that a high schooler might drive as 2nd or 3rd hand. And the interior suits that.

I'm closing in on middle aged and it's fine by me, but I'm not that big on interior. It's nice to not be surrounded by tons of cheap econo-plastic or like a Kia Optima or something like that trying to look nice but coming off garish and tryhard.

Again, go for a test drive and see what you think. It's a car of many compromises, and they might or might not be the compromises for you. I didn't think I'd have wanted to pay extra for the limited trim, but after living with it for a while I can see why people would fork up the extra money because it does manage to be slightly nice enough that it doesn't look and feel like you paid too much for an underpowered rattletrap.

I'd say do a few miles on the highway at 70 even. That's when you really start to notice there isn't a 7th gear.

I got used to that faster than I thought I would, although it could still use another gear especially if you're going to cruise near 85.

Drive the BRZ first and see if the fact that it's RWD and slightly more powerful actually matters to you. If it doesn't, the Civic is better in almost every way. It has more room overall, less NVH, better mpg, the sound isn't dicks, and the interior is actually decent.

get 2.0 turbo accord with the type r engine

4 actual seats, an actual trunk, comes in 6speed manual

I fucking love the toyobaru interior
>spartan, just one lcd screen (unfortunately)
>goofy seven segment displays
>rugged looking control knobs
>90's flippy door locks

coming from an economy sedan they're both small cars that are about equally livable, it was just as hard to fit four people in there and grocery shopping was no different
you also don't have to baby a turbo

both of these cars will depreciate; the civic is a civic but the 2018 BRZ has a redone interior, a tuned engine, suspension and transmission.

One is a forgettable car, the other is a definite classic, the question is how often do you have fat/6ft tall people in your back seat, and are you keen on having a 3k beater for those occasions/if you live anywhere that gets heinous amounts of snow.

The BRZ does pretty well in the snow with the right tires, for what its worth.
youtube.com/watch?v=DVPC1tTWmpY

Try the 2018 BRZ, it's worth a test at least. The rear seats fold, it can carry a surprising amount of stuff.

I thought the only thing that changed from the original models from the original to 2016 was finding 5 horses and changing the infotainment a bit.

What the hell did they do to make the 2018 different?

Suspension is tweaked slightly to be a little more refined and planted, and the gauge cluster has more computery graphics stype stuff on it. I'm not sure if the interior has substantial differences in terms of design and materials.

The BRZ is worth a test and is reasonably practical for a sportscar. Interior focuses on pure function for the most part, but isn't as spartan as a current Miata. I liked it, but I liked the Miata that I wound up buying a lot more.

Other cars that you should test include a Mazda 3 hatchback, which has a nice interior and is somewhat more interesting to drive than a Civic, and a VW GTI, which is fun, rather practical, has a very nice interior, and can easily make over 300hp with an ECU tune. Of course it's also a lot more expensive than any of the other options.

But they say they retune the suspension virtually any time. I say you should just get a used BRZ that barely got used instead.

For a road car I doubt all that many people are going to be pushing so hard that they'd be limited by the stock suspension to a substantial degree. It's pretty competent, even if there's always room for improvement.

I'm in the used but not too used boat myself.

Eh. But then again, the BRZ depreciation is pretty low. Only models from 2014 and before actually give you a reasonable amount below a brand new limited BRZ ($28k)

I got lucky and stumbled across 2013 for $16k that looked almost straight off the lot. One of those times where my guts said
>hey user
>go take a look at that
>c'mon go check it out and then impulse buy it

Best decision? I don't know. But I don't think I regret it.

Get the 2018 accord 2.0t with the 6 speed manual

since you liked the sport touring, I'm guessing you'd prefer an automatic
I have a manual LX hatch that I bought with cash, it's a blast in the corners and great to live with, the brake hold and hill start assist make it much more pleasant in traffic, plus Honda manuals are some of the best on the market
can't say much for the automatic other than it's still a CVT even though it was more responsive than I was expecting when I test drove it
I guess if you're fine with that then it's not a big deal
can't really speak for the BRZ since I've never driven one

Sounds like you're spending money before you've made it. Wait, have patience, you'll be looking at newer cars and better options down the road.

>but the 2018 BRZ has a redone interior, a tuned engine, suspension and transmission.
Shit interior, shit tune with a torque dip and the civic si has way better suspension and tranny

>the power isn't shit
The Civic Si is on the left, the BRZ is on the right.

>si has better mpg AND torque
Holy shit, Subaru engines on suicide watch

>The BRZ does pretty well in the snow with the right tires, for what its worth.
Icy roads + all seasons this morning. Took it like a champ. LSD is good stuff.

That’s interesting, I was in your exact same situation a few years ago
>had 2013 civic about to go off 2 year lease
>stable gubment job and still lived at mummy’s so LolNoBills
>really wanted a BRZ to the point of obsession
>was so used to being a college poorfag, in my autism, I considered myself unworthy to even look at one IRL
>finally mustered up the courage to go test drive
>found a nice used dark blue one at local Subaru stealership
>salesman is nice, the toyobaru is in good shape
>test drive time.wave
>driving it feels like any other modern car
>steering unresponsive, lackluster interior, acceleration isn’t great
>REEE where is my God Machine that I hyped up?
>didn’t even feel /comfy/ like my civic coupe
>fuck this
>get back to stealership
>”what’d you think user?”
“I-it’s ok”
>”how about we inside and talk numbers, I can probably get you a heck of deal on it!”
“U-uh...I need to go figure out my lease stuff first”
>NOPE the fuck out and never go back
>end up buying civic at the end of lease
>test drive numerous other Jap models, from sports cars to 4x4s, over the years but can’t find anything that I like
>finally end up buying a 135i out of the blue that I found on auto-trader one Sunday afternoon

>TL:DR
If you can’t decide on what to buy at the end of the lease, just buy your civic back and take your time

Sounds like my test drive. It's surprisingly lackluster to just tool around in.

I drive a civic si (8th gen)and I would only recommend the BRZ if you really plan to hard up in mountain passes and you've exceeded the limits of a FWD car or wan some new characteristics.
The Si is very practical and every time I drive it, I have fun. It even handles well in the twisties if you know how to drive it. It's also a comfortable car with a well built interior.
With both cars you have the benefit of an extremely large aftermarket and there are a shitload of guides to fix or replace components.

Don't expect to fit people in the back comfortably though, especially if they're tall. I haven't tested this in a BRZ or new civic coupe but in mine, I can fit my mountain bike inside if I fold down the seats and take off the front wheel

>>the power isn't shit
>The Civic Si is on the left, the BRZ is on the right.

and yet the Si is still half a second slower 0-60 with the gt86/brz not even being a 0-60 car.

The front is the only place power should go but you gotta make some compromises to get it there.