Ran Without Coolant

I ran my 5.0 F-150 for probably 15-20 miles before I realized I had a coolant leak-- the reservoir was empty. I didn't see any engine lights or notice any change in performance, but the engine fan was running full blast at a stop light. I left it overnight at the mechanic. How fucked am I?

Other urls found in this thread:

f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/405701-ford-s-fake-oil-pressure-guage.html
focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/140233-fake-temp-gauge.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I didn't see any engine lights or notice any change in performance

Because ford is known for using "fake gauges".

Was there any fluid left in the rad? If you ran it bone dry for 20 miles it's likely fucked. Alloy blocks tend to not like that.

There was a small puddle in the bottom of the tank.

Also, I appreciate you weighing in. If it is damaged badly, is there any repairing it? Several thousand dollars worth?

So where was the temp gauge? No alarms or anything? The reservoir is just that, its a reserve, not the entirety. Very likely you still had coolant still in the engine.

That doesn't matter that much. As long as the rad has coolant in it your good.

Worst case scenario is you warped or cracked the block. Liberally apply some KY before you walk in to the mechanics.

Both temp gauges were nominal, there were no engine lights or alarms. The fan started blasting once the temp gauge reached the halfway point.

Part of me is panicking because the mechanic left me a VM to call him in which he sounds my dog died. Hoping he was just tired.

>buying a ford truck
there is your first problem. Now that that is out of the way, should be fine. If the radiator has coolant and the fan ran and the temp gauge worked then it should be fine.

I wouldn't be super worried. Sounds like you caught it in time. If not, you probably warped the heads, but it doesn't sound like it got that far.

That's nothing bitch. Same happened to me. Had to keep stopping and going to return back to my house.
All in all the headgaskets were fucked anyway, it was a subaru after all. Kek. Suck my nuts bro!!!! I drag them on your daughters ass!!!!! Lol!!!

>He needs coolant in the reservoir
My 2000 ranger ran for a long time with no coolant in the tank. Still going at 234k miles

More like
>Not buying a well engineered truck
Boiled mine dry twice in one afternoon and drove further than OP, new thermostat and she's been fine for the past 15k miles. Just blows a little black smoke at WOT but it's a 20yr old diesel so that's fine

>literally and unironically a butthurt GM fangirl

lel

I hope so. Anything less than $2K will feel like a relief at this point.

I wanna facefuck this cartoon and touch its pusy!!!!!

Have fun with those fake gauges.

I doubt anything major is wrong with it

>new ford already sprung a serious leak
>my old 05 chebby still hasn't
I'll let anecdotal evidence guide me with my purchases

fix the leak first, and then refill the coolant. Hopefully it's a minor leak and easy. The truck is most likely fine, so start it and see. You'll know pretty quickly if you've damaged the block.

If so, yeah, its bad.

Thank y'all. Giving it to God for the night. I do invite any other "ran without coolant" stories from personal experience or idiot cousins

Truck starts and drives without issue. Brought it to the mechanic to fix the leak.

shit's fine. don't worry then. keep an eye out for white exhaust, that's a problem. if not, just drive it

Sadly a normal thing for the 5.0. Should be fine.

>pressure testing 23 year old Jeep Grand Cherokee
>start pumping
>spews green coolant before I even hit halfway
>don't have a spare radiator, so I gotta heap it to the closest repair shop
>got blasted for $300 bucks

why do I even try to do my own maintenance anymore, I just destroy everything I touch

>no pressure in coolant
>coolent boils at low temp
>coolent temp sensor won't go above boiling point, so it shows a normal temp
>engine is now warped and fucked

Bro that's the process. I was and still am destroyer of vehicles but sometimes I also fix them.

>doesn't know how a cooling system works
>"fake gauges"

why are GM turds such mouthbreading retards?

My volvo blew waterpump seal. Its known for being easy to kill with heat being aluminum n sht. Still pulls strong 80-100mph on the freeway passing scrubs 10k miles later. Im sure youre fine.

oil do more damage than coolant. Worse one when coolant leak is head gasket or bent cylinder head.

You're fine, that was just the degass bottle. As long as you saw SOME coolant in it you're fucking golden.

>Because ford is known for using "fake gauges".
proof?

one time in my 05 explorer my temp gauge went all the way up while driving to work and i was only 5 minutes away so i drove the rest of the way there with it overheated to all hell and when i brought it to the shop it just needed a new thermostat housing or something idk but it didn't die and it ran fine after the shop fixed it lol

f150online.com/forums/electrical-systems/405701-ford-s-fake-oil-pressure-guage.html

focusfanatics.com/forum/general-technical-chat/140233-fake-temp-gauge.html

And so on...Every ford forum will confirm this. Ford got tired of their customers complaining about "high temps" and just have most sensors stay at half.

So don't call me a mouth breather... At least GM fags are smart enough to figure out a temperature gauge.