The end of the ICE

We are currently in the last decade of the age of the gasoline powered automobile. Electric Cars are replacing them at an increasing rate.

When batteries can get within 1% of the energy density of gasoline, then we'll talk.

Would rather mini nukes desu
I want my frame to rot before my battery runs out

>Electric Cars are replacing them at an increasing rate.
rate is actually decreasing now lmao

lol no, there isn't anywhere near the grid capacity for everyone to have an electric car.

it doesn't need to get that close actually
since you're wasting 80% of the energy in gas with a ice

No. Seattle is pushing hard for no tenant car parking in new housing construction. So everyone parks on the street. Extension cords to a dozen Teslas and Leafs? I doubt it.

Yeah, and even with that inefficiency ICE is still out ranging EVs for the same weight.

[citation needed]

When an electric car can get me everything i want out of a car at a reasonable price, i'll gladly take it.

Until then i'm saving for an ls460.

It won't happen until electric car manufacturers start posting profit

modern engines are closer to 60% actually
Also even with these numbers theres still a 19% advantage for ICE, assuming Electric is 100% efficient

The fact that the battery and motors produce heat means they aren't 100% efficient

>When batteries can get within 1% of the energy density of gasoline, then we'll talk.

electric engines dont need as much energy compared to gasoline engines.

It doesn't matter the energy density is what allows the gas car to have a much better range, carry more fuel and weigh less. This is why the tesla only has a 200-250 mile range and weighs 5000 pounds while a civic weighs significantly less at 2800lbs and has double the range

you don't have the fuel to power electric cars. electric cars don't exist as an actual comercially viable product consumers are willing to buy yet, because you aint got no battery.

Why don't we just generate synthetic fuel by taking carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and making ethanol out of it? That way we've got a carbon-neutral source of liquid fuels. And it can't possibly be a more energy-intensive process than everything involving electric cars.

Electric cars have so many energy transformations from the power plant to the motors, it is disgusting. There is no way these can be more efficient and environmentally friendly than ICE.

It is massively more energy intensive than even hydrogen powered cars, That's why we are trying to get microbes to do the work for us. The problem with that is the switch from CO2e to local level pollution as a focus.

Yikes, good luck using an electric car when it's below zero, they'll never be a common thing in places that have winter for 8 months of the year until they find out how to make them batteries not get so chilly (special Insulation, warmers, etc)

Don't be silly, Teslas already have built-in battery temperature management and everyone else always copies them

Tesla have solved the cold problem, see Norwegen example.

they don't stop working, they just work less. Once they get going though, the batteries warm themselves up. And I'm sure you don't need full torx in the snow

Ha, 2 very different interpretations of tesla's "temperature management".

You're not wrong, but they probably will. Taking off in battery cars is fun, the first five or six times, after that you're drive ng around a no personality car where you hear every weird creak and crack as you drive along silently.

>but they probably will

yeah let me sink 30k into a car based on your feefees. the current situation with electric cars is enough to scare anyone from buying it.
>Got a 2013 NIssan Leaf needing a new battery?
>Cool here's a new old model battery for 10k.
>Oh whats that? No you can't have the new range you have to buy the new car.

How would this possibly be a bad thing? More gas left for vintage cars.

60% lmao what dude ? f1 engine barely got 50% this years and they have the most efficient engines on the planet

>electric replacing my all american muscle