Overlanding general
Tayburb
ARB bumpers
Suburban general

Other urls found in this thread:

competition.all4adventure.com/prize
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Great thread so far.

The Toyota tax is real. The truck sold for $1700 if you must know.

A few states north and that would have sold for 5 or more.

It sat at my friends impound lot for a year, then sold in an hour.

Thats insanely cheap user, could have easily brought 6k+

My grandad had a 2003 regular cab with 140k and a frame so rusty I could break it apart with my hand. It also failed inspection because the spare tire fell off and ripped the e brake cables out.

Ended up selling it for 3 grand here in NJ

Just completed cylinder head swap on my 2000 XJ looking at building up a JK front axle.

What do you boys do today.

I went to work...

Question for anyone who knows differentials, pinion angles and driveshaft lenghts and angles better than me...

I own pic related, bought it cheap and non running, got it running, gonna do a bunch more work to get it roadworthy.

It came with a 4" lift and 33"tires, I plan on getting some 30" tires and getting a 1.5" or 2" lift installed, its just too much being so high, but I want slightly bettwe clearance than stock.

I'm new to trucks and 4x4 vehicles, I know enough to get by, but I sometimes have no clue what I'm doing.

Will I have driveshaft or pinion gear problems if I don't have those redone as well?

Oh hey another B2, looks like an 89 or 90 too.

Mine is an 89, has 31" tires and a 2" lift on the rear axle only for some reason, installed by the previous owner, as is just about everything else so I'm not 100% sure what she has. Quite a learning experience, she's my first vehicle.

Bought it in Idaho, drove it 4k miles across the southwest and back up to PA

No, as long as you're not going bigger. 30" is closer to stock. It probably wasn't regeared for 33s. As long as your gear oil isn't looking like shit and no metal shavings you'll be fine. Check teeth on your spider gears as well. Generally if I take it out and beat on it in the woods I change out gear oil since it's dirt cheap and super straight forward.

Can I post here?

'89 XL, 5spd manual trans with manual 4x4 gearbox.

Apparently it has the 3.73 rear diff, but I haven't opened it up yet to see what the gearing is like.

Its in fair condition, considering its age and how cheap I got it, it fired up and then stalled after 30 seconds when I was first looking at it, I bought it on impulse and instinct, that if it would at least start and die, then I could get it starting and running just fine.

So far so good. Might be able to pass smog after new spark plugs.

Yes, no 3 wheelers tho.

Fine by me.

Nice, mine is the XLT, automatic trans, probably the A4LD but not 100% sure, trans has been replaced. No clue what else it has to be honest, learning bit by bit.

My brother bought one that would start and then stall after 30 seconds, ended up being the idle air controller but she still idled funky and didn't like to run, developed a leak in the transmission cooler that we managed to patch, but then it just died completely, would still try to start but nothing. He sold it off to someone who knew these things better than we do. Now my bro is hunting around for another that actually runs

They are very hard to come by, in my local area there are none for sale on craigslist, and if you go to slightly larger range of search, you will usually only find wrecked parts cars dirt cheap, or stock, near perfect automatics with prices as high as $5,000.

That's why I went all the way to Idaho to get mine, my dad lives in Boise and knows a shit ton more about trucks and stuff than I do so I felt significantly more comfortable having him look at something before I bought it. I got it for under 2k, rust free, well taken care of but high miles and some faded paint, which I can live with, she hasn't let me down yet.

That's a nice looking lift. Tire size and lift size?

>tfw no rain

you are like little baby men
watch this

So why did you fags let this die for like a week?

>19 inches of body lift
>33 inch tires

jelly. looks quite nice desu friend

so why didnt you make one, faggot?

Doesn't look like body lift, but that was originally a IFS truck, then converted to a solid front axle. With those pretty arched front springs it lifted it way higher then needed. Also probably 35-37" tall tire, but look small since 17" wheels, long truck and lots of lift...

Muh GM

That truck has no body lift at all and those tires are taller than my 37s.

Made one and it lasted a day or so. Only had 10 unique ips

It does have a lot of suspension lift though which makes the tires look smaller

Gotta replace main rear seal this season. Fucker is leaking tranny fluid.

Well, you got at least none of those right. Your main rear seal would be your diff cover seal, and that would leak gear oil. Your rear main seal would leak engine oil. If you're leaking transmission fluid, you don't know what seal is leaking.

nice bait nigger

Pls halp then. Posting pics of the leak spot

the lady wants a third gen 4runner or 80 or 100 landcruiser. Which one should we buy? Only acceptable 4runner would be a limited, as the rear power window is a must.

Fj80's are one the greatest and reliable adventure vehicles ever made. Make sure you get one with factory front and rear lockers and not the center diff locks or no lockers. Most of them come with a third row.

Can't really say from the pictures because it's been leaking for a while. Best guess would be either crank seal (less likely) or oil pan gasket (very likely). Clean off the old oil with brake cleaner or something, then start it and get under with a flashlight and watch for the drips.

Greatest overall adventure vehicle?
Arguably yes, if you limit yourself to stock vehicles.

Most reliable?
Eh. They're not bad but they're not great either. At the age they're at now, it mostly depends on the previous owner(s).

They're not the god tier reliable tanks a lot of fanboys make them out to be but nor are they complete garbage. If you get one that's taken care of, then reliability is above average compared to similar vehicles but parts are more expensive and harder to find. They're also horrible on gas even compared to similar SUVs.

It leaking red shit, which is why i thought ita tranny fluid and previous owner shop notes include reccomend replacement of rear main seal

This, they are overrated, good SUV? Yes, God tier? No. If you like slow turds then you'd like one. By the time you buy one with a factory locker front and rear you could have bought most other solid axle SUVs and have enough money left over to have new gears and lockers installed.

How exactly did transmission fluid get out of the engine at the front, when it's all tilted backwards? And the trans fluid doesn't pass through the engine? Do what I said and actually find the leak.

SO YOU WERE THE FUCKING ONE WHO MADE THAT TERRIBLE FUCKING THREAD
KYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>blg reporting
t b h agree to a degree. they are highly reliable but it is over-memed to a degree. there are quite a few other yotas that are as or more reliable. the 80 is getting old and had an inadequate cooling system when new - you need to keep an eye on it now that all of them are more than 20 years old.

that said - while it is still definitely quite reliable, reliability isnt the only thing that makes a 4x4 'god tier'. there really isnt anything else that blends rock crawling/overlanding together (plus a heavy dose of durability) quite as well, or even close to that of the fzj80. yes its slow, yes its old but id argue nothing is as versatile while still being reliable and durable + having that qt charm.

Yes, senpai

trans fluid at the front would be your power steering pump leaking or trans cooler lines .

Trans oil cooler or power steering leak ad another user said. Older toyota and lexus power steering systems use Dexron ATF, not "Asian power steering fluid".

I used to have an LS400 that leaked power steering all the time.

I'm in europe (ireland) how the fuck do i go about buying a nissan patrol 4.8L ? engine codes tb48 i believe, theyre popular in australia in some mudslim countries

Any other Aussies watch this? Entered but only know one of the words. Fuck this would be sick.

competition.all4adventure.com/prize

Where can you go 4x4'ing in Ireland exactly? And why a Pootrol?

Theres a few lanes from what i know, and a patrol because i like how they look and the 4.8 engine is amazing

I currently have 9" of ground clearance on my truck. How much more clearance would a 6" lift add? Or am I better off with say, a 2" lift, some fox shocks, an add a leaf and some 35s? 2011 F150

Only way to increase ground clearance under your axles is to install bigger tires. So lift just enough to fit the largest tire you can. If you lift it too much you can make it more unstable offroad.

That's pretty much what I thought thanks desu

post your vehicle you faggotron

Then what's the point of larger lifts?

Another upside to going with minimal lift is it's cheaper and better driveline angles so less stress on driveline components. Make sure to take new gearing into account when running larger then stock tires. Read up on F-150 forums as to what gearing is best for 35s.

Ground clearance for parts of the vehicle other than the axle.

I already have 33s on my stock, so idk if it'd be worth it to regear, add suspension components, and get 35s

Aren't you limited by the axel/diff anyway?

To fit larger tires, and to make bro trucks look "cool" when crawling thru the mall parking lot. Also big gay mud trucks need lots of lift for running monster tires and to keep the body out of the water and mud.

Well then no worries, I don't own a F-150, but I do know that different years came with different sized tires. So it's always a good idea to take gearing into consideration, even if you don't need to regear. Because your speedometer will be off with larger tires, IE you'll travel faster MPH wise at the same RPM on the highway.

I see some available with front and rear lockers, but many more with just center. center has got to be better than none, right?

What are pricing and where are you, user?

MO and most 80s and 100s are $7k-$15k. Would absolutely consider lexus cruisers as well.

Hey Tay when are you selling the FX4?

your op was fucking garbage

NICE MAN!!!

i got banned for screaming about libs
the fuck is up with that that shit

If you're trying to clear perfect boxes that fit between the tires on an otherwise flat surface in some sort of man made obstacle course designed specifically to measure axle to ground clearance, then yes.

In reality, there's an endless list of factors to determine how capable a vehicle is in any given situation.

Fair enough. Then should I go with a 4" or 6" lift? 6" will allow me 37s

i forgot to say no niggers allowed in /org/

Will your axles handle 37s strength wise? You'd definitely want to regear after switching up 4" in tire size, your transmission will thank you.

I would likely regear to 4.10 thought I've heard many other EB owners having no issues with 37s on my current 3.55s

Does anyone have Ranch Hand front bumpers on their trucks? If so, was it worth it?

I live in an area with tons of deer and I've had collisions with them 5-6 times over the years. I'm looking to get a full bumper replacement. New they're $1400.

How about a bull bar? Those run $3-400

Why are Toyotas the most aesthetic 4x4 vehicles?

What transmission? If you look up pics of your truck online with 37s then read what lifts they have you can get a feel for which lift gives you the look you want while fitting the larger tires.

Just make one, maximum $200 worth of steel there.

Those don't protect from animal strikes very well. Any strikes for that matter. I'm they're garbage

6 spd R680

idk user
idk

Probably never anymore. I just bought a Jeep Compass and a Mercedes C230 and used her to tow them around after pulling driveshafts. More shitbox cars will come along and Ranger will be needed to haul it back and forth.

That also means I get it insured with my friend's work so woot free insurance.

Lexus 450 is the same thing as an FJ80 other than some door panels. Are the front and rear locked 80s also around $7k?

No. FJ80s, 100s, and anything after that are hideous. Have you seen those non-Lexus GX things!?

My 80 looks like a potato from the side and a minivan fucked a semi from the rear. the front is crosseyed and bucktooth. But she handles all the dirty shit I throw at her so that's all that is required.

That's a 6 to 8k truck here in Southern California.
I'd pay 1700 any day of the week

Its nice finding grills for cheap, now to find a CJ + TJ grill for under $100 each. Going to be going up on the wall for a Jeep themed bar I'm going to build downstairs in the spring.

6R80

You should definitely regear with 37s, the automatic transmission won't have to work as hard, which in turn makes it last longer.

Live in Pittsburgh, PA but dream of western mountains. Colorado fags have it made

So I'm in the market for another XJ or V8 cherokee.

What years of the XJ should I stay away from since I heard about the cracked head problem some of them apparently suffer, and how is the V8 compared to the normal I6 in terms of reliability? I know the I6 will always be more reliable how sturdy are the V8 engines in the grand cherokees?

Yeah got 10 entry's pretty good show I like it better then the one with shuno and that short cunt from margs

Meanwhile you've got shit like this in my neck of the woods

00-01

Nothing inherently wrong reliability-wise with the 318s/360s. I've seen loads with high miles on them still kicking. They're just gutless gas hogs

V8 is complete trash. The head cracking is so unbelievably overblown it's sickening. Avoid renix bullshit, pre 90. Everything else is fair game from 90-01.

Move somewhere that doesn't suck dick.

Those old 4runners, hilux's, and landcruisers are spiking in value. Early 2000's tacomas are not

Ayyyy - my man.

Pic related, it's my GX.

Car prices around here are actually exceptional apart from just about anything Toyota
Doesn't make a difference, it's still dumb and you have to be brain dead to pay that for an absolutely beat old 4runner

To each his own, im happy with my purchase, and i paid more then that ad.