Considering Volvo

GF's lease coming to a close in May. She's onsidering buying her next car. Saw about Overseas Delivery with Volvo, piqued my interest.

Can we have a thread discussing Volvo's? I drive a pickup, so would like something sporty that is fun to drive while maintaining some semblance of quietness on the road.

>something sporty that is fun to drive
Don't get a Volvo

Volvos are clever, economical, comfortable cruisers for sensible people. Driving a modern Volvo is completely disconnected from the road. Drive by wire, stability controls and all kinds of sensors make it very comfortable and boring to drive.

S60 and V60 are shit.

t. S80 owner

You guys are funny - knew I was in for a riot. I would be interested in some comparisons. I could maybe convincer her to go used, but one battle I cannot win is manual transmission.

budget $25k-$35k. As I crest my 30's, I am less inclined to spend big bucks on transportation while I see folks 5-10 years my senior gobble up rental properties. I have my sights set on that.

Oh - all wheel drive. Otherwise a Camero SS would not be out of the question...

Modern Volvos are fucking garbage. Buggy electronics, sky-high maintenance, overrated interiors, feel like shit to drive. I dunno what else you were expecting to hear. Maybe a nice handjob while we pet your head and make you feel better about paying $30K for your fucking girlfriend's car? Fuck off and get a CX-5.

Listen here, boy-o. I am not paying for it, she is. -5 Mazda is also on the list. Thanks for the input on the new Volvo's; a fate I am sure is mutual among all new cars.

excuse me don't talk about my wife like that

maintenance is pricey, that's for sure. I still love mine and I wouldn't say that it's boring to drive. You can drive it like a boring car, but the car can let loose when you want it to. If you want something sporty, this car isn't for you. If you want something that can be sporty, but also reserved, then it isn't a bad choice.
t. S60 driver

Nope. Other manufacturers are putting out much better new cars, Volvo's putting out buggy Chinese shit. With the new SPA models, Volvo focused on design to the determent of making the car fucking work properly, so they're having to be constantly serviced. If you don't believe me, go to the Swedespeed forums and DYOR. Also, there's no way you're getting a new Volvo for $25K-$30K.

Also if you want proper AWD on a new car the only good option at that price range is Subaru. Nearly everyone else uses Haldex or (in Mazda's case) a shitty ripoff. But since it's your gf's car the AWD system probably won't ever be used, so whatever.

Everyone is putting Chinese hardware for the infotainment in their new cars, even Rolls Royce. Mechanically new Volvos are solid. Only real problems is infotainment software and maybe some ECU programming issues since the electrics are so complex (too many sensors for everything in the car) you’re just salty you can’t afford a new one

>Volvo focused on design only
Yeah sure, is this why all reviewers talk about how quiet, comfortable and luxurious they feel? Even been chosen car of the year by the Japs

>Get a Cx-5

>tin can sheet metal that will dent by looking at if
>thin paint with almost no clearcoat
>plasticky interior
>No turbo or V6
>6 speed auto

Yeah no

The SPA XC90s are well-known reliability nightmares, mechanically and electronically. It's why they're at the very bottom of the JD Power ratings for their segment.
>you're just salty
Fuck off back to /v/

>trusting surveys

The SPA XC90 uses the same Drivetrain (Aisin Transmission used for all Lexus 8 speeds) as those in the old XC60 starting from 2015. The old XC60 didn’t have any mechanical problems. The problem is simply software related. Soccer mom can’t set up her bluetooth easily? Damn what an unreliable junk

The swedespeed forums are full of reports of CELs, random braking because the electronics are fucked, getting stranded due to parking brake malfunctions, etc. The vehicles are fucked. Christ, stop being a fucking clueless fanboy.

get a polestar wagon you fuckign faggot

You’re proving my point nigger, the problems are software based, which is to be expected from the first model two years of a completely new and very complex car. Most of the problems have already been solved by now with the new MYs.

Having problems that can fucking strand you and lead to months of the car being in the shop isn't fucking acceptable on any car. It doesn't matter if they're software or mechanical. At the end of the day the car's still fucked. And the problems clearly haven't been solved judging by the continued complaints from owners.

>months of the car being in the shop

At this point I doubt that you can’t just call it a Lemon and move on.

Also, using forum posts as evidence that a car is not dependable isn’t very true to life. Even on the Lexus RX forums can you find ‘countless threads’ about problems like rattling and vibrations and someone had fuel pump malfuctioning, there is bound to be some cars that are like that from any brand

I generally trust the people on Swedespeed (I have a S60R so I post there from time to time) more than some random fucking shill on Veeky Forums.

>lease

Volvos are for pretentious cunts but of a simpler variety than an Audi driver

I aint a fucking shill, just a sensible, not emotionally-loaded regular dude. I just feel like you’re brushing the new Volvos as unreliable junk as an excuse for yourself to not want them. It’s okay to admit they are nice cars with some electronic issues that are being sorted out.
Also
>buying First 2 model years of a car ever

How many of the problems on sweedspeed are about 2018 MY XC90s?

You sure seem like a cunt

^Sure seems like a cunt

Actually not a cunt. I’d have a beer with you

Top kek
If you think that is bad, you haven't even seen the complete and utter shitstorm that is the Land Rover/Chrysler/Jeep forums

>would like something sporty that is fun to drive while maintaining some semblance of quietness on the road.
So a Lexus then?
If that is too expensive, you could always try a Buick LaCrosse or Nissan Maxima

This board gets nicer all the time.

>just saw a thread where no-one trashed someone about t he is 1.4l turbo Suzuki sub for at least the first 4 posts

They didn't say ugly, yo

>It’s okay to admit they are nice cars with some electronic issues that are being sorted out.
Why, so people get misled into buying shit that they'll hate? Volvo may never sort the electronic issues out. The S60R/V70R, even my 2007.2 model, had a ton of them that never got fixed, many of which affected the performance of the car. Never mind that mechanically it's a timebomb. Fortunately soon I'll be getting rid of mine.
>How many of the problems on sweedspeed are about 2018 MY XC90s?
Go do your own marketing research.
Christ I can't even fucking imagine what it's like to own one of those shitshows.

Lexus
/thread

Memes aside, Veeky Forums is the friendliest board here short of /po/. We’re all just car guys who like cars that’s it. A dying breed nowadays

>P2 cars
>relevant in 2018
My P3 2010 S80 V8 has had 2 "electrical" problems. one of the parking sensors failed and my clock spring throws a fault once a month or less but it drives fine.

Specifically what problems did your car have?

>CELs, random braking because the electronics are fucked, getting stranded due to parking brake malfunctions
The same exact problems & electrical gremlins in the Infiniti/Audi/Mercedes/JLR/BMW systems
Too many electrics and digital nannies that were either faulty to begin with or simply not built to last

Hasn't been my observation in 10 years of off and on visits but I have a tendency for being too literal so I'll review future content with that in mind

I heard of a Lexus that had "vibrations" on the highway. After replacing half the parts under warranty, the dealer had the woman actually drive it on the highway to find she was driving on the side rumble strips.

>prior experience with a brand is not relevant to making a purchasing decision and you should consider that brand because it has zero problems now and industry benchmarks like JD Power are all lies
Fucking hell man.

nah there is still Veeky Forums, /cgl/, /3/, /gd/, /p/ & /m/

What problems did your car have. List them.

>Lexus damage control division

Still infinitely better than the completely unreliable POS that is PSA/Citroen/Renault or the Italian makes like Alfa or Maserati

Yeah but when a car is randomly braking on the highway because the nanny system is malfunctioning, it doesn't bode well for quality elsewhere. It's why I'm strongly considering getting a MX-5, as it's a nice throwback to the days when cars got out of the way and let the driver drive. Only problem is it's a wee bit impractical, but if that's a problem maybe I could supplement it with a Crosstrek or something. Or I could just get the XV and never have fun driving ever again.
I'm done talking to you. First you call my experiences irrelevant, now you're fucking commanding me to tell you about them? Fuck off.

I'm not that other guy.

Hence, the reason why people still buy Toyota/Honda despite being quite a bit more pricey than the Korean makes
You could always try a VW/Mazda if you want to scratch that itch.
Or save up and buy that Porsche

OP here - thanks dudes; was a fun read. Sad day that cars have become appliances and a testing ground for technology at the expense of driver engagement.

Hey everyone my 940's transmission died and im looking to put a 240's aw71 in it any tips or things i should be aware of?

bruh just put a t56 in it.

I'd like to but its sadly out of my price point

user it's a fucking t56 you can buy one for a case of beers.

never seen a case of beers go for $1,800 before

What do you think about Cadillac?

Almost all the CEL's on the spa models especially the 2016 xc90's are EVAP codes, the seal at the top the fuel filler neck leaks and causes a CEL. I work at a Volvo dealer we replace these every week. Also on the more mechanical side the piston rings in four cylinder models cannot stand up to the turbo and supercharging and they tend to brake apart and scratch the cylinder wall causing a new engine to be put in the car. Haven't seen any issues with the 8 speed autos yet. I've never had a customer complain about random braking before and have never experienced that. Have also never had a car towed into the dealer for a parking brake malfunction or seen a customer complain. But we have had a lot of electronic issues even with cars that had sub 1k on them, majority of those are software related.

Old van of mine is dying, are old Volvo's worthwhile getting into? Talking V70 or S70's from late 90's. Shit looks aesthetic af and it seems to be rustproof (Ontario). Is it better to buy one for a couple grand or pay more for something newer?

Get 850/V70 1994-1998