Is a 2008 Toyota Yaris a good Daily driver for a 23yo college student?

Is a 2008 Toyota Yaris a good Daily driver for a 23yo college student?

I’ve been my using my dads 2007 Tahoe which he gave to me for free when he bought himself a new truck and it’s been extremely reliable. Only problem is that it guzzles gas like hot cum.
I can’t sell it because my dad won’t let me, but I managed to save up some money and I can afford an 08 Yaris for sale

Should I buy it? Are they reliable like my Tahoe? Am I gonna feel like a faggot in a tiny econocar?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Yaris
zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/toyota-0-60-mph-times/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

what the fuk

a car is more expensive than gas. why not keep guzzling the cum.

yaris is peak Toyota. Literally indestructible engine. Not much toyotatax since it's a yaaarrris. Easy work on. Do it! lots of people have 3 door yaris where I live and they all love them.

It's a shame the new Yaris is so GODDAMN FUCKING UGLY HJOLY SHIT.

It's a great daily driver, very economic and reliable. Whether you'll feel like a faggot or not is up to you.

Save your money and just keep using your truck
No need to get 2 vehicles for the same job

im literally poor cause i have to spend all of my money on gas. seriously i cant even enjoy the freedom of driving places just for the hell of it cause it costs me more to go for a pleasurable drive than to go fucking dine in a restaurant

how much do you have saved up? maybe we can help you find a better car

$5000 dollars

why don't you suck it up until you're out of college

also if possible something luxurious is nice but that gets great mpgees

I figured i could stick a GPS stereo on the yaris and it would look ok since im used to my ltz tahoe with everything luxury

alright working on it! i hope other anons here can help out too

>Am I gonna feel like a faggot in a tiny econocar?
Yes but with the better MPG you'll be damn near able to drive 2/3 around the world on $20 of gas so its got that going for it too, also you're a college student its common knowledge students live close to the bone so nobody in the world is imagining you're going to pull up in a S65 AMG or a Tesla

That buys a lot of cum, drink up.

mah nigguh. this is truly the lords car

They only sold those in Canada IIRC

get a 2009 if you can swing it, its the first year not affected by the takata recall, does not suffer from shit clearcoat peeling and has full airbags standard.

I'd just pay the fuel costs unless you don't like it. How much can you possibly be driving around to make spending 5k on a relative unknown (even a good choice like the yaris you've eyed) pencil out?

do you have a job?

wait, wut? Really? its a 3 door 2011....

so if you do get a hatch, from experience your going to get
>8.3L/100km city
>6.5L/100km Hwy
>7.5L/100km combined

Do it. Yaris is pretty much the perfect college car.

Keep driving the Tahoe. the difference is probably 6-8 cents/mile, hardly worth dropping 5k on different car.

The best thing to be said about the Yaris is that "It's a car!"™

If your free car still works, drive it.

Assuming you drive 12k miles a year.
12000/30mpg =400 gals.
12000/10mpg =1200 gals.
800 gallons x $3 = 2400 a year.
Drive the Tahoe and get a summer job.
Your college ought to refund all monies you've spent on math courses.

This, my shitty Yaris averaged 7.7L/100KM when I owned it and it was miserable on the highway. Yet my V6 Holden Commodore (Chevy SS with a 3.6 V6), averages 9.7L/100KM. That's a difference I'm happy to pay considering
>the commodore isn't gutless
>its a bigger, more spacious car
>it has a power to weight ratio nearly double the yaris
>it can actually overtake at freeway speeds

Econoboxes aren't worth it unless you literally only drive in stop start city traffic.

Can you post pics of your tahoe? That $5000 is better spent on gas at this point if you're going to graduate soon.

you clearly were driving some shit ausfag version of a yaris. The ones in North America are nothing like what you described.

>the engine has plenty of gut
>I don't know why you think a bigger car is better. small and nimble is much more fun
>i sincerely doubt that the power to weight is double the yaris
>the yaris has no problem flying around and overtaking at freeway speeds

you probably got the shit UK/Paki version which is a 1.0, 3 cylinder. NA gets a fairly roomy car with a 1.5 engine and a wider wheelbase for good stability.

Yes, there was this TV show filmed in BC that took place in California but the main character's best friend/colleague drove a blue Yaris hatchback which gave it away that the show wasn't filmed in California despite it all taking place in the Santa Monica area

not going to dig too hard into this as its really not all that important but the sales data in this article

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Yaris

says that the hatch was sold in the us but it was the sedan that wasn't till recently

Wikipedia has it ass-backwards, I swear. All the Yarises (Yari?) I have seen in Burgerland have always been sedans, its the hatchbacks you rarely see, but I live right under BC so some from Canada are seen now and then

well the burgers missed out then, The sedan design is very blah, like the echo before it. The hatchback is where the yaris shines.

im a burger and there are a fuckton of 3 door hatch yarii around me in CO

DESU the Yaris is one of the least fugly econo-sedans I have seen in about the last 10 years. Most are made so horrible looking you think its intentionally done to make people buy a higher up, better looking model from a given marque. Kind of like what Mercedes does with the CLA. The CLA is not meant to be sold, its meant to make you say "Eww WTF is this?" and pay extra for a C-Class sedan instead

any sedans tho?

nah

Must be a regional thing. I live in WA state and 90% of the Yarises are the sedan type. Makes sense though, I doubt convertibles sell as well in Alaska like they do in FL and AZ

It's fine.

could also be that the sedans you see are imported from canada. we get a pile of burger cars here that were salvage, sold, imported and then fixed. makes sense that the same would be done down south to some extent

That's also likely. I wish my state had vehicle inspection laws though. You drive a car that looks like it was used in a car bombing, but the state DGAF so long as that muffler blows clean under a certain limit

>t. street legal car in Washington State

The yaris is pretty small. It has no oomf and the wind resistance may kill what you get on gas since it's such a baby-fuck of a car. Get a used camery or a corolla if you want a basic toyota that won't have any major breaks.

Im from BC. we don't even have to blow clean. were just fine by virtue of rich fucks buying new cars every 3 years. Cept for insurance, but that's a whole different thread.

>It has no oomf
again like this guy here
I swear you have never driven the 1.5. Thing roars during its 0 to 60 which, I think, is only like 5ish seconds. I should time it one of these days...

>Most are made so horrible looking you think its intentionally done to make people buy a higher up, better looking model from a given marque.

QUEUE THE MAZDA 2

>5s 0-60 in a yaris
Unless you modded the engine i seriously doubt it

my cousin had the 3 door hatch and we live in california

we've all made this mistake, just suck it up and wait till you graduate and get a job

site here says about 9 seconds average over all model years recorded

zeroto60times.com/vehicle-make/toyota-0-60-mph-times/

Ill have to time it one day cause I SWEAR its faster than that