Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/kFZKgf5WG0g
a.pomf.cat/nlcylz.webm
youtube.com/watch?v=rEVmAjlM2DA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

gtfo

I love N64

why are there 2 aggydaggy's?

Was blockhead the first 3D AGDG game that had a chance?

Let's talk about G A M E S

>What game is a heavy inspiration on what you're currently working on?
>Are you 1MA, small personal team, or teaming with strangers?
>What currently makes your game F U N?
>What brought you to gamedev? What do you want out of it?

I like this OP pic more so I vote this is the real thread

I prefer the OP in this thread

So I have my sidebar that will be visible whenever I'm browsing objects and want to display info on whatever I'm selecting.
I'm going to add a header bar like a lot of strategy games with important info like whole-empire stats, date/time, and maybe a menu dropdown.
I'm also going to use the bottom edge of the screen for any logs/announcements.

My question is where should I put all of the shortcuts to important screens? Would just be a bunch of icons that show you the shortcut when you hover over them.
I could do it like EVE with them lined up on the left, or like stellaris with all of it in the dropdown menu at the top. I also could put them at the bottom.

btw I don't want to make a video just to display it but I made a bunch of progress on making the UI work with the keyboard and be cohesive with a UiManager class doing a bunch of shit. And I made my own text input functionality using XNA's not-so-nice poll driven input system. Pretty satisfied to get it working. Now I'll be able to allow you to name stuff.

Hello /agdy/ how are u?
So sad I can't make a mmo indie game with a simplified mechanics. There's only metroidvania on indie games and that's boring (most of them).
I'm sorry, keep doing progress!

are all of these games dead

I just want to tell a cool story! Aaaand I want to ppl to play my game together and solve my puzzles. I don't want to make a platform game... damn I gonna make a visual novel mmo...

Walking simulator

Classic Resident Evil games, mostly 1-3 and Outbreak.
1MA mostly, have a friend making some art for me.
Uhhh I'll get back to you on that one.
The gamedev threads on /v/ brought me here, this is a nice place to ask questions and get a fast response.

T_T help me user

Gravitar, Solar Jetman
1MA
Exploration, basic physics, going for hiscore
Playing games. Making games, possibly money so more time can be spent making games

Doom / Spooky Gardener
1MA with musician i pay per track
Smooth controls, satisfying guns, random elements, tactical choices
Dunno. Something to do, hopefully enough £ for rent/food bits

I vote this is real thread :)

Every day we stray further from God's idea of what golf is

what 3d mapping software should i use
i dont want to write my own

I don't know what this is but I'm positive it's not golf.
Though now that I think about, a game called "Golf Game" that contains pretty much everything except golf has golden meme potential.

>Oddworld inhabitants
>1MA
>working on graphics is FUN (tm)
> I've wasted years of my life trying to fit in. Trying to have a girlfriend, to get a "real job", and to live a boring life devoid of any passion. I've had enough of it, and now, I'm back with a vengeance to make my dream-game come true !
>don't forget to wear your dev striped programming socks while drinking coffee, and to listen to some degenerate-approved deving music as well ! Kyun~ ! youtu.be/kFZKgf5WG0g

>golf

Blender

quality brand, guaranteed replies every time

>people don't know "golf" is the NATO designation for the letter G

ohhh agdg has splitted
is this a dev thread or nodev thread

Halo 2

1MA but I plan to get a couple people helping later in development

Vehicles are the funnest part right now.

Started when I was young and can't stop now. I think this Halo thing is kind of a weird nostalgia trip from my childhood. Trying to capture all those LAN parties and late nights on xbox live.

>optimise game
>it runs worse

i told you dog
i warned you about premature optimization

>optimize game
>90% load time reduction
>Questionable FPS improved to steady 60 with only a handful of sub-50 frame moments over the course of a play session

>>What game is a heavy inspiration on what you're currently working on?
2D sidescrolling brawlers like Golden Axe with a focus on coop mechanics.
>>Are you 1MA, small personal team, or teaming with strangers?
I am all alone.
>>What currently makes your game F U N?
Noting yet, still working on a prototype. Started a week ago learning Godot since i already know C++ and Python, which is relative similar to GDScript.
>>What brought you to gamedev? What do you want out of it?
I started learning programming and everything IT related 2 years ago to find a job in tech.
Had some job interviews in the meantime but once i realized these soulless suits value profit more than anything else i decided to make my own shit.
The last months i worked at various concepts and made 2 sample games with pygame. A regular shmup and a doodlejump clone. Both games were without fancy sprites, just with shapes and basic functionality, a splash screen and a scoreboard.
I wanted to make something bigger with different levels and bossfights and after i realized that this would be a ton of work in pygame i looked around for a engine until i settled down for Godot.
With a little help from various youtube tutorials and the documentation i think i am finally able to make something nice with this engine.
If it sells, i stick to gamedev and make a studio with the profit from it, hire some people.
Lets see how that works out because i ran out of money 6 months ago. I barely get by by selling weed i get for dirt cheap and sell it for regular street price.
Life is suffering.

dumb frogposter!!!

Takes your shit to /qa/

Smash Bros for fun physics combat
Me and a friend
You can run around and jump off stuff and beat the shit out of animals
I was going to college for cs and tried out some gamedev things, it was fun. I want another game that feels good to move around in and scratches the same itch rocket jumping and bunny hopping scratch. I want to see if I can do gamedev instead of getting a real job (lol)

>>What game is a heavy inspiration on what you're currently working on?
Zone of the Enders. Since they'll never make a third opus, I'll make one myself.
If I was more skilled I'd try to copy some stuff from Armored Core as well but I've got enough stuff to implement already.
>>Are you 1MA, small personal team, or teaming with strangers?
1MA for now, might ask one of my friends to do music for me or arrange some compositions I'll make since he has a lot of good plugins and knows how to mix.
>>What currently makes your game F U N?
Not much. As it is, the controls need to be adjusted, the AI is both terribly harsh and stupid (but it navigates in 3D !), and the HUD is ugly as fuck.
1v1 duels against the AI are kinda fun but just because you have to dodge like a madman and if you get hit a few times you die, but there's no depth to it right now.
>>What brought you to gamedev? What do you want out of it?
Originally it was just "I'm gonna work for videogames", so I learned some basics with SDL but never got around making anything complete.
But right now it's more a matter of having enough of shit hitting the fan making me decide I want to make something I'm proud of.

Fire emblem
1MA
Nothing
Boredom. Less boredom.

hell naw.
there was that dark souls-like almostgame that had breddygud graphics and skelemans. Sadly, it's been so many years I can't remember the name.
t: originalfag

Was Risk of Rain developed here?

GunZ: The Duel

Just one guy doing what I can and paying for what I cannot.

Combos. More games need to encourage chaining skills together.

I love video games. I want to make the world a happier place with video games that cultivate lasting memories.

Yes, by me

Yeah, so was Deadbolt. I think Hoping has only posted one screenshot from RoR2 here though.

a.pomf.cat/nlcylz.webm

Current progress. Ignore people talking in background.

Yes, and Minecraft too.

Hopoo (Hoopo ?) posted at least three I think.

>Hoping
Meant Hopoo obviously

One of those was the same one he posted on his tumblr, and the other two were me larping.

>Ys, the D&D Beat em ups, Magic Sword, Ghosts n' Goblins
>1MA for the most part
>melee combat
>Love for vidya. To make a modest, comfortable living from it one day.

Theres nothing wrong with walking simulators, Mr edgelord.

Nothing right either.

It sounded like an earnest suggestion to me

Im back from my walk, added slopes, going to do some rock formations next :)

Trying to decide which way I'd like to go with my trees. Speedtree tree's look generic as fuck, but my stylized attempt looks ugly as fuck.

I think I'll give another go at something in between the two. What do the nodevs think?

Redpill me on Vine and early access games.

how was that post even remotely edgy?
this is not a rhetorical question, I want to understand your thought process

So with Unity's licensing shit, can I just buy the pro version one month, port my game to it, then release it to get rid of the splash screen, then just stop paying the pro fee?

Starting games and finishing games are two different skills.

>my game needed environment
>started to learn maya, substance and zbrush
>the only thing i liked was modelling in maya
>zbrush and substance werent turning out any good
>dropped everything all together along with my game project for three montgs now
How do i get back to making games, agdg? I feel like a piece of shit without anything going for him in life.

Minimum time is 12 months and I think you will need to renew it if you want to update the game.

>early access
When you buy an early access game, you are paying for the game AS IT EXISTS, with some potential future improvements. It's retarded to assume or expect that every early access title will be finished, most devs simply aren't that competent.

I'm not sure which is which.
The one on the right looks fine, if wanting for some texture work perhaps.
The one on the left needs something more to it to make the foliage more green and less brown-striped due to all the branches. Usually the smaller branches are obscured by their own greenery, while the larger limbs can stand out.

Maya is enough to finish a game. Get back to work.

your trunk looks fine, but play with how you arrange the leaf quads. there's a really nasty effect where they intersect.

DF, PMD -series, RS, F:NV
1MA
_Currently_ nothing, since it's very much at a W.I.P. stage. When it's closer to playable, it'll have more and more aspects that make games fun for me;
>extreme replayability
>Well Made™ proc.gen. parts with handmade stuff in-between
>RPG elements
>more than one level of gameplay (metagaming and 2d planning)
>Lots Of Content™

I started out as a webdev, but was always interested in C++, because "i'm gonna maek an MMORPG!".
Started learning C++, got the basics down extremely fast, but my code was absolute shite for many years. It took me like 3 years (very scattered learning) to learn good practices and get them to stick. Now I believe I'm finally at a point where finishing a bit bigger project will help me learn practical coding skills very effectively, and that I'd actually be able to make something playable and fun (at least for me).

So main inspiration is learning to code better, while creating a game that I might be interested in playing myself.
Also, still working on related webdev projects.

'Walking simulater' has a negative context to it and suggests that the games it lacking gameplay. So just about everyone on 4ch I've seen talking about it hates it.

Why finish a game when you can just take money for it and then stop talking about it :^)

Is there a way that I am missing to make a perfect circle in GM:S 1.4 sprite editor? I have been using lines like this to get what I want but maybe there is a better way?

You can't order a single month of Unity subscription as far as I'm aware.
I would just wait though. I guarantee within a year they're gonna get rid of the splashscreen for personal edition. All it does is negatively affect the Unity image, considering that all good games that you wouldn't even think that were made with Unity never have the splashscreen and all the subhuman garbage does.

Remove the sand from your vagina

T-thanks, user. But what about the textures?

>he doesn't know about meme poly

This but they will double down on the asset kikery to offset the cost of removing subscriptions so you might as well learn a proper engine instead.

I like both. Mix and match them if you can, maybe ?

take a hike, bring back pictures, edit them afterwards

does this actually work nowadays ?

You may be right. I apologize for calling you edgelord.

It started as a pejorative joke, but now it's the name of the genre. It's been accepted and used by devs of the genre.

I unironically thought Gone Home was great. It made my cry.

LOL

Make a game like Magical Chase: youtube.com/watch?v=rEVmAjlM2DA

>that shitty writing made you cry
Okay.

Good, it means that you are still a human being. Now, get the fuck out of Veeky Forums if you want to stay that way

what a cringey post
Disliking Gone Home doesn't mean you are a robot, it just means liking or disliking something is entirely subjective.

>le Veeky Forums is an elite hax0r subhuman forum
Please, Veeky Forums is just a smidge below reddit tier of humans

why don't you? It doesn't seem to difficult and if you know what makes it so good, you can improve upon it

I know I'm in the minority in this place, but it truly touched my heart. It was groundbreaking in its own way, and...
nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks nigger dicks.

How do I design a map for my RPG Maker game?

epiiiiic epic

us 4channers amirite?

Rate the idea for my game:

>Inspired by Dungeon Keeper series and DF
>ASCII graphics until I get better with pixel icons
>Square grid
>Basically you are a Lich building an underground base while surviving hordes of heroes
>Minions with specific abilities: building, combat, diplomacy, farming, herding, etc.

Step 1: find a youtube tutorial

Is there any game that use this grid?

dropped at ASCII

Best game, best game.

are the squares walkable and the octagons where idle?

holy shit, time just flies doesn't it ?

Anyway here are some techniques that i use:
- List out all the level elements that you have. then find the pairs and triads of those elements, and see if there's an interesting interaction between them. If there is, congrats, you have a little scenario that you can put in the level!
- Randomly place level geometry and even level elements. A trick here is to not just place one thing at a time, but copy a cluster of things, rotate and scale it, and place it somewhere else in the level. After you have a screen full of random bullshit, look to see if there's an interesting pattern that you can base a more coherent design around.
- Loops. Have the player return to a place they've been before, with a new ability and more powerful.