How stupid would it be to buy a 5th gen civic hatch like >pic related and drive it 6000 miles around the US for a month

how stupid would it be to buy a 5th gen civic hatch like >pic related and drive it 6000 miles around the US for a month

also if anyone owns one of these: how are they on the highway? i heard they rev pretty high. i used to have a 96 civic with a 4-speed auto and that sat at 3k @70mph. would a 5-speed help keep the revs relatively low? im not as concerned with high reving as much as i am with fuel economy/overheating/premature engine wear

> asking about transmission

Why in the holy hell would you get an automatic civic in the first place?

The RPM on the highway depends on what trim you get. CX and VX have very long gears for maximum fuel economy so it should be pretty low RPM at 70. EX and Si transmission has shorter gears and it will be about 3000 at 70. Update all the fluids and it should do that trip no problem. I do 30k a year city driving and it gives no fucks.

maybe because it's a fucking civic

I have a 5th gen sedan and I drive it 400+ miles every weekend with a large portion just sitting at 80mph on the freeway
It's a base model with no tach so i'm guessing it is sitting around 3-4krpm and I get around 30-50mpg depending on the weather and my driving style
I've driven it about 8k miles since i've gotten it with no problems that I didnt cause myself

If you need a cheap car for a road trip, get a V6 American sedan. They're built for long distance cruising, the Civic is built for city driving.
I had an old Lumina that I drove from Utah to Alaska and back. It got 30mpg highway, was quiet and comfy to sit in all day and it had plenty of passing power. It also had a huge trunk and was big enough that I could sleep comfortably just by laying the driver's seat all the way back. It was like falling asleep in a velour recliner.

thank you friends

the road trip will only be the first part of what i'll be using it for. i dont care terribly for power when i could have that sweet sweet 50mpg highway. also i'll be dailying it after the trip

Do you already know the specific car you're getting? I get high 30s MPG highway with my SOHC VTEC engine and Si transmission. Civic VX is the MPG machine.

just starting my process. sometime in the next few months, when i find a good one out in arizona, ill fly in and drive her back to michigan

>i dont care terribly for power
You might reconsider that after trying to pass a couple grain trucks on a two-lane.

Try to find a VX. CX is good too but it has 70 crank horsepower. Si has the most power and options but expect mid to high 30s MPG highway.

100 crank horsepower is more than enough for highway driving in these light tin cans. Not sure how the CX would do though.

VX is the slowest of the lot. 92hp with E-VTEC and LOOOOOOOONG gears. 2nd gear is good for 80mph from my own testing. good thing it's top speed is only 90ish or else those long gears would get you in trouble. A stock VX has aluminum torque mounts compared to cast iron of every other trim. It also has no passenger mirror, no side moldings, rear bumper filler piece to combat "parachuting", stock ac delete panel, lightweight wheels, aluminum pulleys, and lean burn mode with eco shift light. All this combines to over 55mpg with the correct conditions and driving and I NEVER seen below 50mpg with mine. If you installed a 12 gallon integra gas tank then this makes for a 500 mile range car with reserve.

Damn the VX is no joke. I thought the CX was slower? USDM D15B8 making 70hp.

true the d15b8 has less power but the shorter gears and better powerband make them nearly identical. the d15b8 is technically slower but its hard to tell. the d15b8 makes its peak power at 4500 whereas the d15z1 makes it at 5600 plus the E-VTEC reduces power throughout the whole rpm range.

I was stuck between the VX and Si transmission a few years ago when I bought one from Synchrotech. I'm really curious how much better my mileage would have been with the VX. Maybe I'll grab a used one in the future. Still 35 City average with a engine similar to the Z6 and an Si trans isn't shabby at all. Still competes with modern cars.

might suck to hear but I scrapped a VX trans and the z1 with it. literally couldn't give it away and it shifted BUTTER.

I bought a '94 civic VX a little over a year ago.

It is a special model of the EG hatch designed for the best gas mileage possible, d15Z1 with "vtec-e" (i.e. a high mpg cam and a normal cam), minimal sound deadening, and the worlds tallest final gear coupled to the widest gear ratios ever.

So far it is pretty good. Can cruise down the highway at 80mph just fine as long as youre not going up mountain grades, quiet enough that you can still hear the little stock 2 speaker stereo.

I've put about 20k miles on it so far and have had 3 issues so far.

-upper rad hose was completely degraded and started leaking coolant. had to limp to a gas station when it started to overheat
-had the ignition switch contacts burn out once, would only run with the key in the crank position. easy to fix, just need a flat head and a phillips head to get to the ignition switch and sand the contacts
-one rubber brake line started leaking at the crimp. replaced em all with stainless lines and it's all good now.

my VX sits at around 2500rpm @ 80mph with 22" tall tires. The gearing is awesome for long distance highway cruising, but it is a bit of a dog.

pic is not my civic, but same color and whatnot.

the CX is slowest with 70-some hp. I have done 100mph in my VX, and I have a passenger mirror and factory A/C

Here's a pic of mine. no real mods, just some integra suspension and Si wheels.

explain your reasoning here

nice fedora dude.
come on

Are you Trans-am?

it's an economy commuter. sure they can be great sporty cars, but it's still a honda civic.

That's a boonie hat >desert

and that's not me

another question: how is the vx in the winter? i live in the UP where we get lots of snow and it gets into the negatives regularly. assuming i get snow tires, what else should i do to make it more reliable/comfortable in the winter?