Would $5500 be an overpay?

This is basically the exact year and color Miata I want and it has low miles and looks to be unmodified. But $5500 does seem like a lot I've seen similar ones go for $3500 in my area.

What should I offer? Don't know too much about Miata prices.

Also I live in Michigan so would it be a retarded idea to try to drive this 4 hours along the highway back home in the winter?

Other urls found in this thread:

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d737&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=28734&distance=100&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true#listing=191666436
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Unmolested Japanese cars cost more

It looks nice but I just wouldn't pay 5.5 grand for a 1995 miata.

Nothing about the car is special, its not an "m edition" or whatever.

You're getting a low power small convertible for 5500 dollars. Im almost certain you could find some other roadster thats better for the money.

I feel like 4000 is about right.

mileage is decently low but for that money it better
-be immaculate underneath. zero rust anywhere
-have great service records extending back a while, preferably the timing belt already done
-run wonderfully

What other roadsters? In the Midwest there's a pretty high rice tax and you have to be careful for rustbuckets. I've been looking for an MR2 as well but they are even harder to find

just get this, I see lots of them in the Midwest

I need a drop top for cruising in the summer

You can get an infinitely better, albeit beat up or high mileage, 350z for that much

First thing that comes to mind is a BMW Z3.

You would actually be able to get one for $5500 if you were patient or willing to drive a bit.

for $1000-$2000 more you can get one with a 2.8 6 cylinder making 192 HP and 207 ft/lbs.

Thats more than a turbo miata ($$$$) will generally make.

For $5500 price point id be shopping a Z3.

Why on earth would you buy that when something like a Pontiac solstice GXP can be had for $5500????

$5500 for a miata really is pushing it, even if the car is unmolested and low miles. They simply just are not a good car for the money at that point.

cargurus.com/Cars/inventorylisting/viewDetailsFilterViewInventoryListing.action?sourceContext=carGurusHomePage_false_0&newSearchFromOverviewPage=true&inventorySearchWidgetType=AUTO&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity=d737&entitySelectingHelper.selectedEntity2=&zip=28734&distance=100&searchChanged=true&modelChanged=true&filtersModified=true#listing=191666436

>pre bailout GM

>11 years old
>4 previous owners

It has the best LSD miata's ever came with. (headrest speakers 90% guarantee LSD, and the later type-2 torsen is less intended for oversteer).

>Also I live in Michigan so would it be a retarded idea to try to drive this 4 hours along the highway back home in the winter?
Yes, I've had my car start oversteering on the highway just because I hit a puddle going steady-state at 75mph, it'll try to kill you.

>Paying an money at all for a Miata

It's not a bad deal for you, honestly if its truly in great shape its worth every penny if you really want the car. You'll be happy you spent the extra $1500 for something that has zero corrosion or other life issues.

No matter where you live you will not find a truly immaculate NA for less than 5k.

Also a boxster from 97-02

>recommending a car that bmw made from the parts from their trash bin

>recommending a fucking piece of shit gm that nobody bought

recommending early boxters overa miata

look what Veeky Forums has become, full of busriders who don't know shit about cars
and to think this board was one of the best on Veeky Forums only like 3 years ago

This has to be fucking bait, nobody is this fucking disgustingly retarded.

What? An NA miata is waaaaay better than a boxster. You're being fooled by a badge.

>$1200 1.8L FR japanese shitbox is better than a $5000+ 2.5L MR boxer engine german car.

You unironically fucking disgust me. Just because it's all you can afford it doesn't mean it's better buddy. You should see how fucking thick the control arms on my boxster are.

Curb Weights:
>986 Boxster Manual:
2822 lbs
>986 Boxster Auto
2822 lbs
>1995 Miata (my year)
2293 lbs

Tell me about how thick the control arms are again in your 'superior' roadster?

My mistake, there was a copy-paste error. The auto 1st-gen (986) boxster weighs in at 2954 lbs...

"Man and machine as one," amirite?

DESU 5500 is fair. He's probably expecting to get 5k even for it. I'd say go for it.
I paid 5k for my bone stock 91 NA and never once regretted it. It's worth paying a little extra for something that truly hasn't been fucked.

Cut that top off and make a droptop for it

They are fucking slow for the money.

>>recommending a car that bmw made from the parts from their trash bin
Worse still it was designed and built for the US market and as such ruined the BMW reliability record.

Mercedes 500SL (R129) could pry be had pretty clean for 5500 and its way faster than a Miata. And if you keep it in good shape it should appreciate (look at the R107 SLs now)

It's what I would buy.

>muh weight
The boxster also produces more power to make up for it. The Miata is lighter, yes, but has a fucking lawnmower engine. I like the miat, but you faggots seem to think that anything heavier than it is pigfat. You don't seem to know what power-to-weight ratio is, or anything else about cars for that matter, and your opinions are shit. As expected of a tripfag.

Holy shit, I live in Greenwood, IN.
I'll sell you my 2003 MSM Miata for 9k. 80k miles.

if you care about power then why not just buy a mustang? way faster than a gay little porsche even on the track

>You can get an infinitely better, albeit beat up or high mileage, 350z for that much
I think your phone autocorrected "heavier" for "better"

Yeah but z3s are terrible cars and you van't take them to a track because they self destruct at redline

power-to-weight ratio means nothing mid corner. Also the Boxter is somehow even gayer than the Miata.

How are these things performance-wise? I'm torn between whether I should get a fiero or a fox to hit the back roads with.

>2003 msm
No such thing

Oh, sorry, got my year wrong. '04.

The Miata doesn't make enough power to self-destruct.

you are missing the point of the car

OP here what the fuck is wrong with you guys? I only have like $5000 to spend on a roadster and you reccomend a Porsche Boxter and a 20 year Merc?

What the FUCK

It's called not being unreliable German garbage

The price is a bit high, but not too far off. I paid $5200 for mine, but it was an M Edition and 90,000 miles, all service records, etc. If this car is clean (NO RUST), 100% up to date on preventative maintenance, LSD, and is otherwise running and unmolested then its about right.
Driving it home in the winter is fine as long as its not raining or snowing. It is not a great highway car. It is loud, cold, and lots of Miatas get a vibration around 60mph. They are really sensitive to wheel balance. Google miata 60mph shimmy.

if it has absolutely no rust (and good body/interior) then it's a pretty decent deal

it's an amazing deal if it comes with a color matched hard top

Shop around a bit and you'll see how most $2-3K Miatas look in person (rocker panel rust, worn out interior, beat up bumpers, broken sail panel, leaking/damaged top, etc.)

if you're looking for cheap fun, by the beater... if you want an actually nice car to drive, you buy this one

You literally came to the worst place for buying advice. Should have asked on a dedicated Miata forum.

Nigga you can import a miata for that much

Yes those are both far better cars in every department but weight.